bossy

Lean In, an organization created by Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg launched a campaign to ban the b-word. And by that I mean the word “bossy”. To do that, the organization recruited Beyoncé (who’s often involved in elite-funded campaigns), Jennifer Garner and political figure Condolezza Rice. In a cringe-inducing video, they’ve all “committed” to ban the word.

The video supposedly aims to encourage girls to become leaders. Instead of, like, encouraging girls to become leaders, the video actually says: “Let’s just ban the word bossy”. Really? That’s pretty bossy of them. Telling us what words to use and not to use. I’ve known quite a few women who were leaders but who were NOT bossy. They were great leaders with tact and vision who did not feel the need to boss and micro-manage people around because they could. I’ve also known women who were not leaders of anything but were nevertheless bossy. BOSSY. That’s the word to describe that type of person. Deal with it.

But seriously, when I heard about this campaign the first thing that immediately came to mind was the book 1984 and Newspeak. If you are not familiar with this book, here’s George Orwell’s description of Newspeak in the novel’s appendix.

Newspeak is the official language of Oceania, scheduled for official adoption around 2050, and designed to make the ideological premises of Ingsoc (Newspeak for English Socialism, the Party’s official political alignment) the only expressible doctrine. Newspeak is engineered to remove even the possibility of rebellious thoughts—the words by which such thoughts might be articulated have been eliminated from the language. Newspeak contains no negative terms. For example, the only way to express the meaning of “bad” is through the word “ungood.” Something extremely bad is called “doubleplus ungood.”

In short, in the 1984, Newspeak was developed by the Party to restrict human thought. When there is no word to describe an idea, the idea cannot even take form. In this sense the Ban Bossy campaign appears to take a page right out of 1984. In a broader sense, it is about using feminism to restrict, oppress and re-mold. It is not about equality, it is about creating, in the words of 1984 “thought criminals” and restricting language.

While I believe this superficial, mind-numbingly ridiculous campaign will fail miserably, there is nevertheless a great deal of financial and political power behind it.

As stated above, Lean In was created by Sheryl Sandberg an important figure of the power elite. Before becoming the COO of Facebook, she was Vice President of Global Online Sales and Operations at Google. Before that, she was chief of staff for the United States Secretary of the Treasury. More importantly, she is part of the Brookings Institution and the Council of Foreign Relations – two of the most important elite think tanks in the world. These two institutions alone are responsible for most of the  New World Order-friendly policies adopted by governments today. Sandberg also attended the 2012 Bilderberg meetings which is, as you might know, another elite hotspot.

Ban Bossy is therefore the product of an elite-funded organization which uses feminism as a means of control. To “empower” means to give power. Banning words is the opposite of giving power.

In other news “bossy” is the word of the day. Use it as much as you can today. Here’s a video that goes with the spirit of the day.

P.S. Bossy.

171 Comments on "Beyoncé, Condolezza Rice and Others in Campaign to Ban the Word “Bossy”. Seriously."

BluBoy

Banning the word " Bossy"??? – First world problems eh……

savvy_siren
I love the VC site, and promote it whenever I can. However, while I see what this article is saying, I also understand the more extensive thought process behind the "Ban Bossy" campaign. In the world in which we live, whatever characteristics women assert that go against the traditional grain of society's gender-based pigeon-holing, are perceived as "bad". I am a woman who speaks her mind freely and very articulately, so I get this and have dealt with it first-hand. I have always been "bossy", while a man in my position or shoes would be deemed a "leader" or as… Read more »
houska
3 months 1 day ago
Well said! This is something what i thought about this campaign. And word bitch is used so many times on pop-cultur so this lesson could be also that being bossy you are then “bitch” and “bitch” is being used for girl who usually is sexy and strong woman but little bit bad and naughty. So young girls are programmed to what means being leader type of GIRL. I think this campaign is all about programming young girls and their parents who believes that this is real… It should not be so different if woman is strong-minded and have opinions. This… Read more »
casey
is bossy a gender specific word? i work with children at a daycare and boys and girls get called bossy if theyre trying to push people around and tell people what to do. i dont think little boys are called "leaders" for being a litte a-hole. theyre just as bossy as the little female a-holes lol. and beyonce (although i am a fan of her tunes…hey, they are catchy!) needs to stop. for a so-called "feminist" she has a song that repeats the phrase "bow down bitches." You can ban the word bossy, but feel the need to make an… Read more »
Rob
This shit makes me want to spit in some people's faces. Isnt that destiny child girl married to a rapper who constantly spews "nigger" and "bitch" in his lyrics? How about banning those words? Oh, I forgot there is no multi-billion dollar industry surrounding "bossy". Plus, to disagree with or ask a black person to change their ways would be "racist", right? And what about obama's wife? putting this much energy into this type of joke. What about banning mentally unstable people from buying firearms? what did we already give up on that? How about banning the use of military… Read more »
Momo

so they won't to ban the word used to describe dictatorship/dictators

Chipy
7 months 26 days ago
I am late to reading this , but I think there is something that should be addressed… It might have been and I missed it, but no matter. ^-^ This little campaign as well as the other laws that have been passed in Canada… and talks being held in the U.S. all come back to one thing well many things.. but for this part just one)… Freedom of speech. Now in the U.S. you automatically have a right to freedom of speech. It is one of the many bittersweet blessings of living in this country. Haha!This silly campaign is not… Read more »
Jack
7 months 30 days ago

At least the other b word is not endangered yet… Sums up this entire joke a lot better than ‘bossy’ 😉

Mary
"Ban Bossy is therefore the product of an elite-funded organization which uses feminism as a means of control. " Are you trying to imply that feminism is an elite control method? I think I must be mis-reading this due to the fact that most of your analysis calls out sexism in the media. I mean, how can you be totally knowledgeable about sexist media representation, sexualization/objectification, control of womens bodies etc but then say people speaking against it are also a tool of the elite? Unless of course you're saying that the elite is simply hijacking and appropriating feminist rhetoric,… Read more »
Mary

The other thing I will say is that there is definitely a bias against girls who have even the slightest amount of confidence and assertiveness. However I agree that this is NOT the right response to it – we shouldn't change the meanings of words and honestly I don't get our culture's obsession with wanting to be "leaders" anyway. It obviously just leads to social control.

Chani

The people leading and orchestrating this agenda are being bossy.

Ohio Croatian

It is disgusting how supposed "conservative" and P.C. "Liberals" are continually "bossy" with the commoners and tell us what to think and say.

jolly

Be Ambitious = to me that sounds like leave motherhood and be like one of us – a slave or worker, be childless and see even the one guy agrees too. Don't be bossy, boss people around and invite depopulation! Why sit at home with your kids when you can be successful like us and hav your nanny do it, or better yet no kids!!

doodaa

I was called bossy when I was a kid in grade 4 and it pissed me off. There was one boy who I had a crush on and no matter what I did he didn't notice me. I guess my bossiness was learnt from my dad as he was the head honcho and still is in our family. Well, I didn't care that I was bossy – I got hurt initially, but after that I just said, YES I AM! :))

agnda

The agenda is get ready to "shut up and serve" the elite power.

Meeeee

she is a puppet on strings … As stupid as she knows this campaign is she can't back out because she lost her ability to be bossy. Lol… This is retarded! Mind control is running out of strategies.

Jay-Z

I got 99 problems, and a bossy wife is one.

Cva
It completely disgusts me , y are people so brainwashed by Beyoncé ? As everyone else has pointed out , I'm less concerned with the word "bossy" which I don't even think young girls use anymore, and more concerned with young girls taking advice from Beyoncé . Her new album ? Drunk in love? Her music videos? Pick ur audience Beyoncé your music is very ADult basically xrated I don't think we should worry about bossy. She as well as her husband throw out the b* word & many other obscenities !! Now see how many girls under 18 are… Read more »
Tammy
7 months 30 days ago

My irritation is the fact that its so true. They want to ban Bossy when people in the campaign use the B***h word often. Hypocrisy is really evident here.

vivek55

Bossy;))

carolina

LET'S PLAY A GAME
we all use a word to ban
like me I ban the word Violence but not for that the violence in relationships disappears, CONTRARY this called feminists are the ones that provoke the violence against women YOU KNOW ALL YOU NEED TO HAVE A HEALTHY AND STABLE RELATIONSHIP 1 LOVE 2 COMMUNICATION 3 SEX 4 MONEY if you have all this in your relationship congratulations you don't need anything else

fed up

There are times when a supervisor, group leader, or a teacher, or someone in charge has to be bossy. Or, should I say demanding? Controlling? With humans, if you forbid use of certain words, we may think of even worse replacements.

getsonmynerves

Ok. So, basically, Sheryl Sandberg is bossily telling us to ban the word "bossy". Hypocrite. This elitist rep is testing the water for her pals to see if we will fall for it.

tom adams

How bossy!

Olah

"Bow down Bitches! Bow bow down bitches!"

Jeremiah

What if they ARE bossy? What a way to get men to accept women who may purposefully and nastilly being bossy ( as well as purposeful being the other word, and yes they do that.) as O.K! Hey, we can call men bossy, but if you call mean natured women bossy, they may be able to bring you up on harassment charges.

Ana

Bossy bossy bossy bossy bossy! Yeah! Bossy! Oh and f*** you Sheryl Sandberg, Beyonce and Condoleezza! 😀

ixel

There are so many other words you can ban than bossy. Besides, if you act bossy you will be called bossy. So, actions speak louder than words. Yet, in this case we are banning the word bossy?