jay-z-magna-carta-holy-grail1

When it was announced that Jay-Z’s new album would be released in partnership with Samsung, some fans grumbled about him “selling out”. Well, things are a lot worse than just him “selling out to the corporate world”. The app that was created to enable Samsung users to listen to Jay-Z’s album a few days in advance is a true data-mining operation that collects an insane amount of data from its users. Here’s a screenshot of the permissions needed taken posted by rapper Killer Mike on Twitter.

BOIiXzQCcAASb9_.jpg large

The app needs to be able to modify or delete the contents of your USB storage, it can identify all of the running apps on your phone and it needs to know your *precise* GPS location. It also gathers “accounts ” the e-mail addresses and social-media user names connected to the phone. While these permissions are often requested by social media apps and so forth, this is an ALBUM LISTENING APP. Why does it need all of this information.

But things get worse. Here’s a review from the NY Times.

“When installed, it demanded a working log in to Facebook or Twitter and permission to post on the account. “We would like fans to share the content through social networking sites,” a Jay-Z spokeswoman said by e-mail. (E-mail to Samsung Mobile’s customer service address for the app was returned as undeliverable throughout Wednesday.) But the app was more coercive.

In the days before the album’s release through Samsung, the app promised to display lyrics — with a catch. “Unlocking” the lyrics required a post on Facebook or Twitter. I used Twitter, where hitting the “Tweet” button brought up a canned message: “I just unlocked a new lyric ‘Crown’ in the JAY Z Magna Carta app. See them first. http://smsng.us/MCHG2 #MagnaCarta.” The message could be altered, but something had to be sent. No post, no lyrics — for every song. Users were forced to post again and again. And frankly, a lyric that is going to show up almost immediately on the Internet isn’t much of a bribe for spamming your friends.”

– Jon Pareles, Jay-Z Is Watching, and He Knows Your Friends

While some see Jay-Z as a savvy and powerful business man, he is once again being used by the elite to push its agenda further. Whether it be pushing their occult symbolism or their Big-Brother Agenda, Jay-Z is apparently down with it.

Rap used to be about exposing oppression and staying true to yourself and your community. However, like many other “movements”, rap is being co-opted by the elite to further the very things the movement used to denounce. Fortunately, there are still rappers who have a powerful message to communicate. For example here’s Killer Mike’s (mentioned above) video “Reagan”.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lIqNjC1RKU

202 Comments on "Jay-Z’s “Magna Carta” Mobile App Collects an Insane Amount of Data From its Users"

nim yang

Jay Z used to be cool, now he is just another chump.

Xs9390

Why so obsessed with music people ? Not like you'll die if you leave it.
Islam does not allow it and now the reasons are getting obvious.

kristina

Wow, Killer Mike is great. Thanks for introducing me to yet another great artist, VC! Even the beat is actually really good.

Tobie

The only true permission that raises a flag is the "System Tools" permission because when it retrieves a list of running apps, it actually takes a snapshot of what is currently open in programs at a certain point in time. Address books, messaging, Facebook, email, these are the things that are susceptible to such an ability, and a simple listening app should not have permission for such a thing.

Supreme Being
Did you know? On every android device there is a folder with encrpyted back up data about the devices activities. Open the hidden files on the settings of your file manager and search gps, the folder has massive amounts of data that the user doesnt know of. Mine was 2.5 gigabyte of calls, sms messages, emails, all my downloads, music, videos, pictures, pdfs, and more. All of the activites since I used the phone were recorded, everything, and so are yours. Wonder why the network is always uploading, your data is being recorded by google for the american government everytime… Read more »
William_v3.0

You want a great rapper who still holds down Hip-Hop properly, look no further than K-Rino or Immortal Technique!

Dr. Octogonapus

And to think I was gonna download it……..glad I didn't and the album fucking sucks.

Riddle

Well in light of recent events maybe his app should be called 'NSA.' Hahaha

loveknoxxz
loveknoxxz: I've been listening to hip hop music since the late 80's from Rakim, Public Enemy, Tribe Called Quest, Run DMC, to Tupac, Ice-T. NWA, NAS, AZ, you name the artist I heard of them. Jay-Z was always on that materialistic tip. Dude helped usher in all this money hungry attitude and consumerism bs. Not surprised at all with the direction he took in his career. All he talks about is money. Nas was right as usual HIP HOP IS DEAD. along with ALL GENRES of music that display creativity and positive messages. It is what it is people. Say… Read more »
wendy11

I think a lot of times a stunt like this (putting all these tracking devices into a seemingly unrelated product) is done just to judge the publics reaction – a big or small reaction gives them information just the same. Like with Xbox 1 – all that information is prereleased and they go, awww, look at the public, they still think they have autonomy, we will take that stuff out, you still rule US with your purchasing power.

Shrim79

I have proudly not been a fan of Jay-z since his first big single, the one with the Annie sample (Hmmm… isn't annie a moviemusical about a girl taken from the orphanage to live with the rich and wealthy elite?)

D D d

I have been at such cathedral. Gloomy, creepy, and a lot promotion of letting the boys go to war and be heroes! Oh, and by the way, a lot of celebration of the dead heroes ofcourse…
The church used to sell orphans to the british army…

D D d

Correction, I have been to that specific cathedral…

Dewberry

i don't get it. A bunch of apps ask for the same exact thing. They want your location to see where people are downloading the app from. This may be used for the Elite's purpose so don't see why Jay-Z's app is being targeted when a bunch of apps do this. I downloaded his app and I didn't have to post anything on Twitter nor Facebook. I think this one is being blown out of proportion because it's Jay-Z.

the messenger
I was not familiar with Killer Mike, so after watching the video, and then reading through the comments, I decided to check him out for myself. Now take my comment with a grain of salt, but after researching him, I feel that we should be cautiously optimistic before we praise him. First, his foul language is very offensive, but I understand that's my opinion. Where the red flags really went up for me was his album cover for "I Pledge Allegiance to the Grind 2". On the cover, he is throwing up the 666 hand sign. There's also an American… Read more »
Android Dev
While some of the app's permissions seem unneeded, not all of the ones mentioned are unneeded. I'm an android developer (not for this app): Storage Access – It needs it to write the data to the phone for the songs and such – a lot of apps require this Accounts – To connect to FB/Twitter. Seems unneeded – you can login to FB/Twitter on apps via a special web portal GPS – Not sure why this app needs one. A lot of apps need it for advertising in-app – some of the ad services use location targeted ads. Phone calls… Read more »
DAJ
Connect the dots. -Jay-Z was a mediocre rapper lurking in the background of Tupac and Biggie. Both of them get murdered under suspicious circumstances. -Almost over night, Jay Z becomes this mega rap star. Not because fans thought he was so great, but because the media shoved him down our throats and crowned him as "the chosen one." This occurred after he snitched on his friends for trying to start a distribution company to have more control over their music sales His friends businesses were raided and some went to federal prison. (Was this a test to see where his… Read more »
SamV

Another trick from the sleeve of one of the most well known pawns of the illuminati, but hey, in the American Soviet Union, web surf you indeed.

Sunshine

Its hilarious how everything is connected.. I just read this article yesterday and just now I went to install Music Paradise on my phone and its showing the same thing, that it can mod storage, gps, its says all of the above..So its more than just his app, its bigger than JayZ. Its still crazy nonetheless

kahoneez

He's hardly a " savvy Business man " it was all handed to him on a silver platter in EXCHANGE for selling out by pushing Occultism , police state and now data mining on his gullible fans and when you have occultist conglomerates bank rolling you , all you basically do is sign Agreements

loveknoxxz

Totally agree with you. Because what we are hearing on the air waves is sickening! And Jay-Z is not a savvy business man. He was/is a willing stooge in the moral decay and down fall of our society and civilization. I can't believe people idolize let alone admire this dirt bag. No person reaches that level in society without either being iniated into certain societies or is willing to do the will of TPTB.

Jason

Nobody achieves this kind of success without compromising your principles, if you have any in the first place. You need to feel pity for people like that as they are profoundly weak. As long as you don't cultivate sentiments of jealousy and feel hatred towards them. I bet they don't even feel security and happiness which only stimulate their greed.

turnkey

jay z sell out? hahahahahahahahahaha… selling "high class" cocaine is still selling crack, even if you enrobe it in PoMo references and a gilded cage–

players being played, ancient story that seems to be on infinite repeat.

“To sell your soul is the easiest thing in the world. That's what everybody does every hour of his life. If I asked you to keep your soul – would you understand why that's much harder?”
–Ayn Rand (The Fountainhead)

ann

Yinz guys…. If you look at all the pre-installed apps that you cannot remove from phone… Don't you notice they all these similar 'functions' ?

I don't even use apps on my phone – but they turn on anyway. They're on a timer of some sort to just constantly turn on and run retrieving your info.

My philosophy is you can't really live without music. Music is great. If you like the music – listen to it.

dogg

If people haven't figured out he and all other entertainment biggies are stooges of the NWO, they never will.

derek
Shark, I totally agree with you. I don’t listen to mainstream rap, because it is all garbage, but the underground is full of insightful artists like the ones you metioned. The only one I don’t care for at all is Brother Ali. To me he plays the race card way too much, and his music is zzzzzzzzzzz, boring. I wish Vigilant Citizen would compile a plethora of videos that expose all of this stuff. KRS, Zach de la Rocha and Last Emporer’s CIA is a brilliant song and video, that is 4 minutes of truth. Immortal Tech, Killer Mke, El-P…etc.… Read more »
Shark
There's a lot of other rappers that talk about these issues, and who stay lyrical. I'm just flabbergasted (yea, I used that word) of the amount of people that think 'Ye is a "genius" and has "depth"…yea a genius for marrying a cum bucket like Kim K? I know it's good to talk about these things, but I've been reading too many "Kanye is this, Jay-Z is that, God help us all blahzay blahzay". God gave you a brain, a brain so you can look for and enjoy better rappers than what the media deems "cool". Many know about Immortal… Read more »
kristina

THIS!!!!
More people need to understand what you do. Major labels ARE dying out. The internet is the new media mogul. Youtube is the new marketer. It is time to shift focus on what we DO want and what we DO like rather than all the negativity.

Anthony

You gotta address J. Cole's album cover and title: Born Sinner.Also, listen to his song Villuminati.

G Wright

Dude, you need to understand the concept of the album. J Cole is anti illuminati . He was being sarcastic when he said "i'm about to join the illuminati, fck everybody." smh people these days don't research.