Pop Artists Featured in Creepy “Digital Death” Campaign

I am all for fighting AIDS and helping third world countries. I am even for the use of shocking material to make people aware of important issues…but there is something utterly wrong with this celebrity-centered campaign: it pure deshumanization.  Buy Life aims to raise money to fight AIDS in Africa and India, which is a noble cause.The marketing campaign however seems to be an extension of the “culture of death” that permeates today’s mass media.

Showing dead artists who “sacrificed themselves”, the campaign urges you to do the same by texting to “90999” – a rather odd choice of number. Some of the sacrificed celebrities are Kim Kardashian, Lady Gaga, Justin Timberlake, Alicia Keys and Willow Smith. The website buylife.org is filled with death and sacrifice-related elements. Here’s a screenshot of the site.

But the most disturbing aspect of the campaign is the “Buy Life” bar-code t-shirts that sets weird precedents.

There something intrinsically wrong with the concept of “buying life”. Is human life a commodity that can be dealt in a monetary transaction? Well this is the “face value” of the shirts and the message our brain subliminally registers. To make this even weirder, the barcode on the t-shirts are REAL. They can be scanned with a smart phone to effectively “buy life”. You therefore become a walking-talking purchasable product.

A charity is the ultimate way to introduce such things without getting any backlash. I mean, how can you be against curing AIDS? You can’t. Is charity being used to bring forth dehumanizing concepts into the mainstream? I sincerely hope not, but, seeing the budget involved in this, there might be a higher agenda there.

One thing is for sure: you’ll never see me walking around with a damn barcode on me!

129 Comments on "Pop Artists Featured in Creepy “Digital Death” Campaign"

BAM

Look at the obvious, gender-bending, intersex (hemorphadite) mexxage in the Willow and Jaden Smith picture. Willow (the girl) is sporting masculine "corn rows" while Jaden (the boy) dons feminine coiffed coils. Their pose is almost incensuous. What ever happened to fathers protecting their children? It's so disappointing to see children used as commodities this way.

Jack
8 months 5 days ago

Cure AIDS my nose… Same ‘cure’ as Bill Gates’ vaccines.
90999 is an inverted play on two numbers – 606 and 666 – both associated with antichrist figure and both being whole or part of the famous number of a man (six hundred threescore and six).
Death is indeed becoming prominent – for a reason to come…

1 year 2 months ago

I just watched the videos with their faces reading their last testimonies with melancholy and pride.In turn, they plead for us to buy back their digital life.They can rot in hell for all i care.This is indeed creepy!!

Hendra

Remember Dark Angel? All the GMO people had barcodes on the backs of their necks. This is nothing new 🙂

Emily

What I wanna know is how much of the $1,126,778 actually is going to AIDS research and how much is Kim Kardashian getting paid!

Total BS! Not only is the campaign's idea sick and wrong in general, but I'm sure no matter how much money these gullable people donate it wont cure AIDS

Raquel

P.S. maybe not that way exactly but some other charity because I really don't like the "sacrificing MY life" part of the campaing on the website. Even though it's not really happening I still don't even want to click on it. It's just the thought that bothers me.

PR_Archangel21
Barcodes are associated with numbers at the bottom, except the marks at the first, middle, and end. Notice the marks of “||" these marks are the same marks at the first, in the middle and at the end! Its the number "6" Pick up a barcode and look at the number 6 now look how it is the same lines for the first, middle, Last. The number "666" is hidden in every UPC bar code! (If you don't believe it, get a bar code and look at it!) Terry Cook, the Mark of the New World Order, 1996: ". .… Read more »

Are they all holding iPhones? o_o

kiljoy

the acts you have to perform to become a hollywood star makes it all to easy to act dead just like how you feel inside……….these people would sell anything……if told too.

iMsn

I have just realised something about the texting number…. 90999 ; It's probably not linked but I realised it anyway.

9+9+9+9 is 36.

If you split the number up, 3 6 is 3 and 6 and what is 666?

3 6s!

It might be nothing, but there you go!

Wanda

You’re the bomb vigilant! keep it up!
That s right, no barcode on me!

yoshi
im 15 also and so glad for this site my cousin had told me things like this and im happy more people know about it. but its saddening when i tell people at school and they just laugh and be sarcastic, i really just want people to know the truth, n then make your choice. i don’t even know what to do anymore i feel everything is fake, i kinda don’t want to go to school because i just want to focus on god and better myself, but its so hard when everything around is satanic, music, TV, etc. im… Read more »
Samantha James Riley

This is a disgrace to what the human race has become. I am 15 years old, i turn off the tv and stay the HELL away from mainstream crap they have now.

But this is horrible, can these people actually be proud of what they've done and become? DIGITAL DEATH? BS!

Chloe

I thought something about this was wrong.

anthony

oh ya sex sells also take a look at their logo on the women's breasts

anthony

charities are the ultimate FRAUD! its that much easier to take money aka labor away from people and allow for them to be controlled. what a sick world we live in.

Samantha James Riley

yep. Money to africa im betting doesnt even GO there let alone get to the BORDER!!!

This world is sick and i hope when the rapture comes they'll all get a REALITY CHECK then!!

It's great to see 'da (much maligned) yoof' commenting on your perspicacity, VC. People try to tell me that the young don't read any more, yet clips like this:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U_gHUiL4P8 …rather belie this wishful thinking from our psychotic 'masters'. So, you want to get to the bottom of Everything That's Messing Up Your Life? Here goes – the most valuable writings on the planet for those serious about breaking the grip of the satanic meme makers:- W.G.Carr “Pawns in the Game” 1958 http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sociopolitica/p… Eustace Mullins “Secrets of the Federal Reserve” http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sociopolitica/e… Fritz Springmeier “13 Bloodlines” http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/bloodlines/inde… and “Monarch” http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sociopolitica/m… John… Read more »
InChristwelive

Oh and another thing, buying their lives will raise them from the dead….this is so riduculous. Just wanna laugh it off…people do strange things all in the name of being "fierce" and "ergy".

I'm not buying it (lol) Pun intended.

InChristwelive

Wow, I've just seen the Ad, it sounds so good and honourable. One really needs to be discerning to understand how vile it is. What? Buy my life! Nonsense my life whether digital or real is mine to do as I will, I'm a free moral agent and don't need such mind pollution.

One way to stop this evil desease is for people to take responcibility for themselves. We need to understand that careless behaviour will lead to trouble. (I'm speaking to myself as well).

Let's not be deceived, true change starts with you…not buying a celebrities life.

Raquel
Sad to say but I don't think there will ever come a time again when the mass of people think for themselves instead of following what's hot or what everyone else is doing or saying. In today's world if you're not famous you are a nobody. People put fame before their own morals, thoughts of common sense, good health and even there own life. There are many people who woudn't mind dieing if they could die famously. How stupid does that sound? Eveything wrong in hollywood is right out in the open now and people still want to be apart… Read more »
Truth101

Just a random thought…anyone remember Dark Angel featuring Jessica Alba? And how everyone had a barcode tatted on the back of their necks?

I agree, this is at bottom a strange and just another shocking marketing concept/campaign for a 'charity.' I am all for charity as well, but this is just weird.. as soon as I saw the barcodes on the shirts on TV, I thought of this whole concept that Vigilant Citizen has written about de-humanization and all that.. is it this a way to introduce the dreaded 'beast' that you can only buy and sell if you have the mark of? Many have associated the two.. and of course as you mention, you cannot 'down' a charity.. oh no! One must… Read more »
tee

Barcodes are already in our society. How many of you or people you know have their f*&^ing pets microchipped? Next in line is kids,it is being pushed so if a kid gets kidnapped you can find them. Supply fear and people will surrender their freedom. 911 was the ultimate example of that.

I agree, it has not reached full proportion yet, but when they started microchipping pets – 'start small you see!' Then they won't know what hit 'em once it's all up, but anyway, then yeah, it seems like the trend might be to start suggesting doing that to kids, although it seems they have not gotten brave enough to openly suggest it I've noticed. But sometimes I think with the amount of kids being kidnapped, there isn't some kind of campaign to almost get them to be chipped? I don't know, just speculating.. I recall watching all those news shows… Read more »
paisleycerebrum

when i first heard about this "digital death" it brought nothing but confusion for me. it didn't make sense to me at all. to be honest i said to myself, "help fight AIDS or these celebs will die [digitally]…damned if i do, damned if i don't huh?" this has to be one of (if not THE) stupidest stunts i've ever heard of. and now real barcodes? wth. but as usual, Vigilant Citizen brought the real agenda behind it all to light. i'm surprised i haven't realized it then. all i can say is thanks, VC.

Lia

OH GOD FORBID that an AIDS charity have a clever, eye-catching marketing campaign.

In case you were unaware, um, AIDS does kill people. It's not like death is an unrelated concept.