2Pac Revived as a Hologram at Coachella: Why I Didn’t Like It

On April 15th, Tupac Shakur was revived in the form of a hologram to perform a few songs at Coachella. At first, I did not even bother watching the performance because this kind of stuff has been going on in Japan for years. However, after reading reactions to the performance and future plans for holographic artists, I felt the need to check it out. Here’s a video of the performance.

Quite a few people asked me what I thought of it. Well, to be honest, I did not like it. I just had a visceral, gut feeling that it wasn’t right. Of course, this is a very personal opinion and many probably won’t agree with me. However, before jumping to the comments to curse me out, please read on.

2Pac was more than a rapper signed to record label. He was an iconic character that represented an entire generation. He did not just record songs and act cool in music videos. He spoke out about issues, he brought to light the reality of America’s underprivileged, he even called out crooked cops and politicians. He did not only sing gimmicky singles to sell records, he said what was on his mind – and what was on many other people’s minds.

However, although he had a kind of “larger-than-life” aura surrounding him  (which only amplified after his death) 2Pac was very human. Like all of us, he had strengths, weaknesses and emotions. And he was not afraid to show them. He could rap about gangster street life and, in the next song, rap about how he loved his mama. In interviews, he could be either loud, cocky and arrogant or soft spoken, smart and insightful. Like many compelling artists, the were many sides to him, like there are many sides to all of us. All of his sides were apparent because, unlike most record industry artists, he was real.

Sadly, that hologram at Coachella, wasn’t.

It was 2Pac – if he was stripped of everything that made him real, human and authentic and then infused with a bunch of synthesized computer hocus pocus. Although it was somewhat interesting to see a 2Pac on stage in 2012, witnessing a dead person artificially re-animated and controlled by unseen programmers felt wrong.  2Pac was anything but an empty shell controlled by unseen programmers…but that’s what I saw at Coachella.

One of the first things the 2Pac hologram said was “What’s up Coachella!”. This was obviously not 2Pac’s voice because Coachella did not even exist prior to his death. It was therefore probably the voice of an imitator making 2Pac say things he never said. In short, it was fake. The hologram then sings the song Hail Mary. Interesting fact: For some reason, the first words of the song “Makaveli in this… Killuminati, all through your body” were removed. Hail Mary was an odd song choice by Dr. Dre – the mastermind behind this hologram experiment – considering the fact that the very next song on the Makaveli album was Toss it Up, in which 2Pac thoroughly insulted Dre. Then Snoop came out and performed 2 of Amerikas Most Wanted with the hologram, complete with pre-arranged interactions with it. Again, fake, staged, artificial.

Maybe if this was a one-time novelty experiment, I wouldn’t have written about it. But there are now talks of bringing this 2Pac hologram on tour and making a bunch of money off it. Even worse, there are talks of bringing other artists back from the dead like Jimi Hendrix and…Kurt Cobain *shudders*. These artists all became legends due to their authenticity, originality and their ability to touch their listener’s soul. They were the exact opposites of pre-programmed, dehumanized and synthesized visual illusions. Furthermore, they were often at odds with the record industry’s shady ways and hypocrisies, which caused them lots of troubles with the powers that be. Seeing their likeness used by this industry to make them say and act a certain way is simply the opposite everything they stood for.

Maybe those behind the 2Pac hologram did it with good intentions. Maybe it was even done out of love and respect for him. But I did not feel it. It was creepy, awkward and, most importantly, it wasn’t 2Pac. Here’s the real deal and let him rest in peace.

303 Comments on "2Pac Revived as a Hologram at Coachella: Why I Didn’t Like It"

Look tupac was a great man and now people r doing what ever it takes to make money offif him so to all u ass holes out there taking advantage of his death fuck u and let him RIP

Aospeed
7 months 22 days ago

Alright i read now let me say this
The tupac hologram was good for snoop snoop was like tupacs bestest bro so you can see he would be hurt when he died this may have been a way for him to be with pac one last time

ChristieAnn

Next thing we know, people will go to concerts to see holograms.

Cristian

The one singer I really liked and Im glad he wasnt wrapped up in all this illuminati bullshit. i use to think wtf is killuminati now it makes sense

Cybergirl

great to read it.

Mg

maybe this is what the "dead will walk the earth" means…

Jake

Real Talk.

Hellybaybee

Oh My Goodness! you took the words right out of my mouth!!!!!! have you also noticed that alot of the real political 2Pac stuff is sidelined in favour of pushing tracks like 'California Love'? Personally I always thought that what a bit of a conspiracy… can't silence the man in life, they will silence him in death… they have made him commodious and completely unrepresentative of what he was in life… Listen 2 'Words of Wisdom' forget about Dre… God Bless RIP Tupac Shakur

smiller2344
I can't believe what I'm reading. One. Illuminati is real. Two. Tupac was a human. A man. Created by the Living God. He was JUST a man. His deed were filthy rags. Nothing he has done is any good unless the Spirit of the Living God was in him and working through him. With his language and his attitude… obviously the Spirit Of Christ was not in Him. People can talk the talk. Not a problem to do that. let's not be deceived. The one behind the Illuminati is Satan. And he is going to use anyone and anything to… Read more »
Hellybaybee

I am not saying 2Pac was Jesus but I believe he was a great man and a threat to those in power which is why they kept calling him 'Gangsta rapper' or arrested him for jay-walking… seriously, have you ever listened to his interviews? have you ever actually listened to the lyrics of his songs or read his poetry? people like you make me laugh… You cannot argue about ANYTHING unless you are prepared to educate yourself on the subject first

NeLz

When I saw this, first thing that came to mind was the story in the Scriptures about Saul and that medium/spiritist woman who brought up Samuel from the dead! 1Samuel 28:3-25 And Samuel said to Saul "Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?" Verse 15

Was it really a hologram?!!

I think something is going on behind the scenes! As it is, people worship celebrities & now the new trend: worship the DEAD! #sickening

LornaDoom

I watched the video, this is an abomination.

LornaDoom

I think they went way too far with this one.Using images of the dead to make more money off them? Morbid, disgusting and ghoulish.

IgnoranceIsBliss

I wholeheartedly agree…I did not like it either. Didn't even finish watching it & Tupac is my fav artist.

Melody

I admire your restraint that they may have not had improper intentions, I am so far beyond that point! I have not watched it. Comes off as wrong, and creepy. I enjoyed the real at the end, thanks for that!

Abraham
I was born only a few months before Tupac's death, and when I first heard of him, for some reason I thought he was still alive 'cos I remember Elton John releasing a song with him or his posthumous tracks called Ghetto Gospel, but then realized he was dead. Even after that, Ashanti and T.I. made that song about Pac's Life. Even before this hologram, Pac's positive influence lived on a whole decade after his death, but I think this hologram just spoilt that legacy completely. It's not about the man himself but about his message and how he goes… Read more »
Sherly

I agree. Let Tupac rest in peace seriously! I love him too much and watching that hologram was like… legit like seeing a ghost! I can't understand what the world is going to come to with all this technology but its highly unnecessary. How can his family cope with seeing something like that? Watching that performance with the hologram in comparison to him in the keep ya head up… smh… It made me feel like I lost him all over again. Weird right? The real videos of him show a true difference, an abundance of authenticity.

lambnlions

Imagine this sort ot tech in the hands of a government that's bent on making you the enemy? All of a sudden you're seen robbing a bank, killing people, etc.. on one part of the world, while in actuality you're on the other. You come home and that whole world think you did something. The potential for abuse is enormous.

WadeA

this makes me think of project blue beam…

Very nice Vigilant! I always luv your post. I luv Tupac and when he said what's up Coachella? I said who is speaking and sounding like Tupac. There's a guy on youtube who raps under the name Kasinova and sounds very similar to Tupac. I'm not sure if that was him or not. But I thought it was an interesting thing to do but when you think about it especially after reading this post I don't feel comfortable with it. Thank you to Vigilant.

a vigilant citizen

This is unbelievable. I can't stop shaking my head in disgrace. It's not right not right at all. Wow!

derick

Simply a case of the illuminati mocking the world ,first by taking off the killuminati part(indicating that he was mudered becos he went against them)and using his hologram to profit even in death.Big time mockery

"peep my flesh's flesh of my flesh" I agree VC.. it really bothers me that they took that killuminati line out.. but it also throws up the red flag to clearly indicate just who's running this show. it seemed cool at first(2pac at coachella), and the idea(hologram artists touring the world) is a shimmering glimpse of brilliance…… however ironically those "light" bearers are tainting the message Pac's personal legacy stood for….. with all due respect… this hologram project could be done exceptionally….. but it wont be…… you said it best and Ill declare your rhetoric as a statement.. it is… Read more »
llol

This is so scary! Tupac needs to be left alone.

From my understanding they're recreating. B.I.G and Suge Knight and supposedly doing a world tour! That is something I will NOT go and see.

-Stay prayed up you guys(:-

beani

Okay Snoop…upside down cross much?? Not good…life his hard..but sell your soul? No…No…

Ely

It's so sad, all about money. Why can't people have respect for the dead. Let this people RIP.

Making money off someone dead WTF. This makes me mad. If he was alive 2pac wouldn't want this. The creepy part is that people are buying tickets and he looks so real…

R.I.P 2PAC