Is Die Antwoord’s “Fatty Boom Boom” Going Against the “Evil” Music Industry?

For months, I’ve been receiving e-mails about the South-African rap-rave group Die Antwoord, saying something like “OMG theirr illumanaty!!” Since the release of their new video Fatty Boom Boom, e-mails now say “OMG therre anti-illumanaty!!”. So are they for it? Against it? Don’t care about it? What’s the answer? (Get it? Die Antwoord means “the answer” in Afrikaans – so clever).

At first glance, it is hard not to be weirded-out by the visual esthetics of the group, which seem to be tailor-made to piss-off the parents of rebellious kids. Their videos always deliver a whole lot of shock-value coupled with a “don’t give a damn” attitude that is pleasing audiences around the world.

They are credited for having popularized Zef, a South-African counter-culture movement that I can only describe as “South-African-trailer-trash-ghetto-fabulous”. Yolandi Visser of Die Antwoord said, “It’s associated with people who soup their cars up and rock gold and shit. Zef is, you’re poor but you’re fancy. You’re poor but you’re sexy, you’ve got style.” In short, it is about glorifying and making stylish the cheap things that are associated with the lower class.

Faking it?

While many love and identify with the group’s style, others have claimed that members of Die Antwoord are “fake”, that it is all an act, as they are not the ghetto-dangerous crew they claim to be. While the group’s official website describes rapper Ninja as a “fat cash-stackin, hydroskalonic weed-blazing, all kinds of crazy fully-automatic heat-packing, bad-ass rhyme animal“, others remember him as a member of “corporate” conceptual group MaxNormal.TV.

While in MaxNormal.TV, the duo had an artsy-hipster-corporate style going on, which contrasts rather sharply with everything associated with Die Antwoord. In fact, it is the exact opposite of Zef.

That’s one hell of a makeover right there, but its, like, the opposite of what you would see on makeover TV shows.

Die Antwoord fans obviously don’t know or don’t care about these critics as the group obtained great viral success when they independently released their first album $O$.

In and Out of Interscope

Die Antwoord’s shocking and original style generated a huge worldwide buzz, which lead to their signing with Interscope records in 2011. From being an unknown South-African group, they became label mates with Lady Gaga, the Black Eyed Peas and Eminem. Die Antwoord’s partnership with the prominent label however quickly dissolved as the group claimed that record execs were trying to change them and to force them into a particular mold. In an interview, Ninja stated:

“So anyway…Interscope offered us a bunch of money again to release our new album TEN$ION. But this time, they also tried to get involved with our music, to try and make us sound like everyone else out there at the moment. So we said: ‘U know what, rather hang on to your money, buy yourself something nice…we gonna do our own thing. Bye bye.'”

Knowing the way major labels proceed, it wouldn’t have been surprising to see the group forced to produce more radio-friendly music or to incorporate “elite-friendly” symbolism and messages in their act. In fact, some of the group’s promotional material of that era featured imagery that VC readers might find familiar.

While with Interscope, the group was going in a direction full of MK imagery including checkerboard patterns, dolls, butterflies and all of that crap.

In an interview with MTV Canada, Ninja stated:

“I think they thought we were just like a weird, strange act, then like: ‘Let’s just let them have their fun for a while, and then when it comes to their second album we’ll have them play games’. “They were looking at Lady Gaga and The Black Eyed Peas and that type of sh**ty pop music, and were thinking we could like twist into that.”

Free from Interscope, Die Antwoord released its second album entitled Ten$ion, under their own label named Zef Recordz. Their anger against the industry is more than visible in the video Fatty Boom Boom, as it visually assaults today’s music business especially the group’s ex record label, Interscope (which happens to be one of the biggest distributor of Illuminati imagery nowadays). If the group was about to fit in the mold of other pop acts, Fatty Boom Boom can be interpreted as a big middle-finger to the industry.

Fatty Boom Boom

Fatty Boom Boom is about South-African pride, complete with tribal rhythms and imagery and a (controversial) reference to the country’s racial diversity with the rappers wearing black and white body paint. Also, and mostly, the video disses the hell out of the group’s former label mate, Lady Gaga. Here’s the video (don’t watch if you don’t like weird, twisted stuff).

The video begins with Lady Gaga doing some sightseeing in South Africa. We quickly get a feeling that she doesn’t belong in the savage “urban jungle”.

Gaga is played by a man (of course) and is wearing her now legendary meat dress (including a steak as a hat). She’ll soon realize that wearing this particular outfit was a mistake.

When the tour guide shows Gaga some local street musicians (Die Antwoord), she says “Oh my god, look at their freaky fashion! I should get them to open for me!”. This is a reference to Gaga asking the group to open for her in the past, to which they replied: no. In an interview with MTV, Ninja stated:

“Weird shit’s been happening, like fucking Lady Gaga asked us to tour with her and we’re like, ‘No, don’t worry about it.'”

In that interview, they went on by implying that she was doing “weak, superficial shit”. So, obviously, they really don’t like her.

So, the tour bus then gets hijacked by armed men and Lady Gaga runs away in the concrete jungle. That will also be a mistake.

The lyrics of the song express anger against the music business, today’s rap music and its lack of originality. In the first verse, Ninja says:

“What happened to all the cool rappers from back in the day?
Now all these rappers sound exactly the same
It’s like one big inbred fuck-fest
Sies
No, I do not want to stop, collaborate or listen”

The most striking element of the video, is the mural that appears during about half of the video. It is definitely not subtle nor nice to some major figures of the music industry.

The mural entitled “Evil Thing” features Arch Bishop Desmond Tutu holding a Bible that is shooting fire at a monster composed of the horned heads of Lady Gaga, Kanye West, Pitbull, Nicki Minaj and Akon. The monster is defecating on the group’s previous label mates, the Black Eyed Peas.

Is this multi-headed satanic “evil thing” the music industry? The message is rather clear.

The rest of the video is about Lady Gaga having a prawn extracted from her privates (a reference to her Born This Way video) and her being eaten by a lion (which was probably attracted by her meat dress).

The king of the “concrete jungle”, symbol of justice and of African pride, eats Lady Gaga alive. Yup, Die Antwoord really doesn’t like Lady Gaga.

So, with this video, is Die Antwoord genuinely going against the music industry or is it simply seeking media attention (because its working)? Rejecting Lady Gaga’s offer to open her Monster Ball Tour and leaving Interscope records were gutsy moves but were also a great way to gain notoriety and loyal fans. Will these moves pay off and will the group keep waving the proverbial middle finger at the music industry? We’ll see what kind of material they’ll release in the future. Once thing is for sure, they will keep pissing off a lot of people and cause controversy… Because that’s their thing that they do.

396 Comments on "Is Die Antwoord’s “Fatty Boom Boom” Going Against the “Evil” Music Industry?"

doc

at age 60 , you might think i wold hate these guys , but nope- they got the dope, so there's hope.
i seen all the bands since hendrix and i say they are the real shit kids.
they also worked with director Harmony .. cant recall his last name – but he did the crazy underground vis- Gummo.
i say the kids are alright. punk is not dead- it just smells funny.

Jonathan
5 months 10 days ago

They are real. Kanye, all the others, typically have songs written by one person, recordings done by another, tons of auto tune and I say, that is NOT Kanye's music, it is property of the music industry.

Die Antwoord writes their own music, lyrics, no auto tune, no layering. They even do their own murals. BTW, they did collaborate with a costumer for this video, LOVE the black (asian) hair dress with white face.

asdf
5 months 29 days ago

I'm just not entirely sure, I'm sensing some as above so below ish movements when Yolandi keeps throwing her hands pointing up. Twice during the video she points down, once when she's like "here I am" I mean it makes sense in the context though.
Plus obviously even if they are against the agenda, they seem to thoroughly know what's up

Alie
10 months 25 days ago

I think it's very clear they are pro illuminati as they wil be featured in the upcoming pro transhumanism movie "chappie" and if you look at their album covers you can see where their loyalties lie.

justinbonnethealings
1 year 3 months ago

What a bizarre slant. A band can be 'manufactured' (in the sense that they adopt an image or brand or look or style etc) in order to sell records, without being "illuminati", surely.

Cookiethumper
1 year 4 months ago

I freaking love die antwoord every bit of them. I love max normal as well. I saw them live a couple times and they really are amazing performers and don't seem fake at all.. Yolandi ran out of energy n lost her fbreath a few times which never happens to puppets like Miley or Katy.. A good point as well is die antwoord means THE ANSWER.. I recommend watching other interviews they have no problem calling out interviewers.. Literally yolandi actually got pisssed at an interviewer for implying she was a young stupid girl not knowing what she was doing.… Read more »

Boris

So Die Antwoord are against some evil people in the music industry. But they too are monsters. Different, but neverthless monsters too. I resent this disguisting false insinuation that they are against evil.

valesch

Also the black panther is a symbol like the lion: pride and independence.
Michael Jackson used the panther in his anti-occult ending from Black and White!

Nadiyah

All I know is that that picture of that "Monster" on the wall of Nicki Minaj, Kanye, Pitbull and whoever else that was looks exactly like the "Whore of Babylon" picture that the archeologist in "The Omen part 2" found on the wall and Desmond Tutu is no coincidence either. I think it symbolises him trying to drive out that element that has also unfortunately now infected Africa.

jenn

What? Are you kidding me? Looks pretty satanic to me. I don't care how you cut it, this video gives me a lot of unease. My vote goes for controlled opposition.

Shelda

Whether for or against Illuminati, the video was incredibly disturbing…IDK what on God's green (turning brown) earth I just watched.

Starrynight

If they are against the system, they are portraying it wrong. We need good in this world not additional weird negative shit. Over these people. Ridiculous.

ClaireT

I'm a South Africa citizen and The Antwoord is quite big here. One of their songs, not too sure which one, was played on 5fm Radio Station a few months ago. It was played backwards and actually recited a "Potjie Kos" (A South African-style food dish) recipe, which I found extremely hilarious!!! They are genius and their music videos are obviously satire to the whole Music Industry which is a good thing as too many people are placing fear into themselves with all this subliminal messages, occult symbolism etc. Big ups to Die Antwoord for representing SA!! We can be… Read more »

ilfyn
1 year 8 months ago

Oh man, I forgot what song that was, but it was BRILLIANT to find that it played that when backtracked. Much as I don't like DA's music, I really like Waddy and Anri as performance artists — they're amazing at this.

Oh no, not them too

I am South African and when I first heard about the Die Antwoord and also their enter the ninja track I must say I was quite impressed with their individuality and non conforming attitude. However, I am so confused about what to make out of this video. It is quite dark but at the same time very unique and funny too. The use of symbolism is worrying and may give the impression that they have fallen on the way side. If they have switched sides then this is obviously part of the larger Illuminati agenda but still an evil agenda… Read more »

ganymede

ALSO if I were in a band I would dress sexy because I want to show that I can be sexy and beautiful also, that doesn't mean that OMG! I am satanic.evil.mind controled! It would mean that I just want to look good and even show off my dance moves… I am usually accused that I think too uch and find meaning n everything but some things really don't have that much symbolism!

ALSO it is easy to criticisebut no-one is fucking perfect!

ganymede

I am not 100% sure about them but when you DO make music and want to get popular there are tendancies to slip without you even noticing… after they did notice they tried to do their own thing… I don't know how much they will remain like this though. Remember, they are humans and a bit teribilistic… I like them but i think sometimes they exagerate to promote themselves..

R.A.

Never heard of them before…
Anyway I'll keep an eye. They seem pretty freaky.

j raider

Nobody likes to think they're being conned.Christians argue against the so called Illuminati from a mental reality that was given to them and cultivated for centuries by the Illuminati.The duelistic God/Devil religious concept has been so ingrained for so many generations that it is now unquestioningly accepted as truth.My father believed in it,my father's father believed in it,my father's father's father believed it,and so on and on ad nauseum.Reality created from re-enforcing brainwash for thousands of years.The use of the word "flock" in Christian dogma is not ironic.

Zedt

rep my kasi (hood) hey antwoord answer me

Elle

THANKS! After reading this article I went and watched most of their vids. I downloaded all of their music. Die Artwoord is AWESOME!!! I love them for dissing Gaga!

babypanda

And also, anyone who signs a deal with the devil and tries to get out gets whacked.

At the very least, Lady Gaga would file a lawsuit. But if anything, it's giving her more publicity.

So, I'm convinced it's all part of the elite's agenda.

babypanda

I tend to agree with posters who claim that it's fake. The reason I say this is because the song and video are disturbing. And any music which is disturbing actually lowers our vibration, in my opinion. I don't care if they appear to be anti-music industry. It's a video I may watch one more time just to try to grasp some of the imagery, but this is in no way music that I would keep on my playlist. It just causes way too much cognitive dissonance. And another point is that the Matrix likes to reveal itself. So this… Read more »

Sakkie

2 Corinthians 11:14
And no marvel: for satan himself is transformed into an angel of light

Eso

Die Antwoord can also be an anagram for "Ordained Two" In their FOK JULLE NAAIERS video, we see Monarch Butterflies all over Yolandi, upside down crosses in the background , 27 (2+7=9 , 3 to the third, i.e, an inverse of the trinity), a 666 on the wall, In evil boy we hear yolandi say "I'm a bad ass chick, feel my black magick" and lie down on the bed boy let me light the candles, as she shackles a man and candles light and she draws a pentagram on his chest, also the bed (or symbolically altar) that she… Read more »

Jya1
3 years 1 day ago

(Part 1 on 6) I could talk about this stuff for hours but let’s make it simple cause Die Antwoord fans are not aware of 1% the stuff i discovered on Waddy Jones over the past years. First off all, anybody from SA cant denied the genius of this man when you rewind back into his career. Come on this guy was doing rap in 1995(Original Evergreens), he played in the movie (Kickboxer 5) the same year. He hard-worked his whole life to share good music with people, people like most of the people i know that just don’t care… Read more »

Jya1
3 years 1 day ago

(Part 6 on 6) He clearly states for many years the difference between "corporate", "parasites" and "creators". "We've been sent to save your children’s"(Constructus quote). To finish my horribly log post on the subject, cause i could say lot lot more since I’m almost "studying" this guy, i am not from SA and i found all this and many more myself not knowing SA well (when i started) but just using my logic and brain, people in SA are sleeping for letting people from Canada and USA found information’s they don’t even suspect right in their faces. We could use… Read more »

Jya1
3 years 1 day ago

(Part 5 on 6) Listen to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_j6_OW81Lo and check out my channel it's filled with old Waddy stuff you will have problems finding elsewhere), its a rare song to find and only a few hundred people have listen to this, and most won’t get it(as DA fans are retarded as any other pop group fans) and this is the point, they reflecting the nasty things people living for, money, sex, greed etc.. they reflecting this shit right in their face, im awaiting the day they tell everyone they are the biggest prank in music history and probably wake up… Read more »

Jya1
3 years 1 day ago

(Part 4 on 6) Did you know that all his previous career almost been deleted from the internet, most of the stuff back in the day was unfindable, weird? Even now we keep finding stuff he did, some Jazz stuff with Marcus Wyatt, Bruce Cassidy, Ian Hermann etc.. All Jazz musicians with tendencies for Buddhism too, he did movies, commercials and other stuff (in SA, Belgium, France). Why hiding all your career for no reason ? Cause the guy undercover on a mission, and he will play it to the end, even his “friends” like David Choe probably don’t know… Read more »

Jya1
3 years 1 day ago

(Part 3 on 6) They play the evil card to the fullest, even exaggerating it, so they can be accepted in the industry, they infiltring it exactly like the plot in "Constructus" story. Instead of doing a movie, they have bring Kidtronic and Random Boy to life, they created a whole world to play them in. But trust me this guy is almost 40yo, he always been clever and you don’t suddenly become retarded like they do at this age. When you look deeper into Waddy's career you can also notice he is clearly a Buddhism follower, it's a evidence.… Read more »

Jya1
3 years 1 day ago

(Part 2 on 6) He clearly saying he is projecting on the future to use "channels" to reach the most people he can to save them from this retarded industry that brainwashing them. He clearly know how to manipulate low vibration frequency too affect the brain(mind) of the listener, he also know how visuals are working on the mind and affect the viewer. He "became the enemy" for a reason, he sacrificed his whole career for that project, he could be famous way before with all those projects he did, i personally don’t "like" Die Antwoord and all the people… Read more »