Trans Fats Linked to Brain Shrinkage

In the series of articles entitled “Dumbing-Down Society” (check out part 1 and part 2) it was mentioned that a fatty diet containing lots of processed foods had a detrimental effect on, not only on the body, but on the brain as well. A recent study has further confirmed this fact stating that “people who had high levels of circulating trans fats had less brain volume. They also had poorer memory, attention, language and processing speed skills”. In other words, trans fats make you dumber. The study also suggests that consuming Omega-3 has a very noticeable positive effect on brain functions (a fact that was mentioned in the article Dumbing-Down Society Part 3: How to Reverse its Effects). Although the study focused on elderly people and on brain diseases like Alzheimer’s (an advanced state of brain atrophy), its conclusions contain facts that should be known by all who want to keep their brains healthy and fully functional. Here’s an article from the Vancouver Sun about the study.

Trans fats linked to brain shrinkage

Levels of vitamins C, E, B and D higher in group of healthy aging adults with larger brains: study

Researchers have found that there’s a part of your body that might shrink when you eat too much fast food.

Unfortunately, it’s your brain.

People with diets high in trans fats are more likely to experience the kind of brain shrink-age associated with Alzheimer’s disease than people who consume less of the artery-damaging fats, the new study suggests.

Those with diets high in vitamins C and E, the B vitamins and vitamin D, meanwhile, appear to have larger brains than people with diets low in these nutrients.

And diets high in omega three fatty acids seemed to benefit the small blood vessels of the brain – “and the thinking abilities related to those vessels,” said lead investigator Dr. Gene Bowman.

The work – published in the journal Neurology – involved 104 people, ages 65 and older, enrolled in the Oregon Brain Aging Study. All were generally healthy elders, with few smokers or people with diabetes or high blood cholesterol.

When the study was launched in 1989, “the aim was to study the effects of age on dementia risk in people that don’t have factors known to increase their risk at the time,” Bowman said.

In the new study, researchers checked blood samples for markers of 30 different nutrients. Participants also did a raft of neuropsychological tests, and 42 had MRI scans of their brains as well. The team was interested in three things: cognitive function, total brain volume and white matter changes thought to be a sign of small vessel disease of the brain.

Small vessel disease, also known as cerebral small vessel disease, is an accumulation of plaque deposits in the small blood vessels throughout the brain. It can lead to stroke.

“We know in Alzheimer’s disease that total brain atrophy [shrinkage]is accelerated com-pared to people of the same age and same gender that don’t have Alzheimer’s disease,” said Bowman, a naturopathic doctor in the department of neurology at the Oregon Health and Science University in Portland.

Among the key findings:

. The B vitamins, the antioxidants C and E and vitamin D all seemed to be working in con-cert in some way the researchers can’t yet fully explain. But the B-C-E-D pattern was associated with greater total brain volume and better global cognitive function. People who scored low on this vitamin combination turned out to have less total brain tissue;

. People who had high levels of circulating trans fats had less brain volume. They also had poorer memory, attention, language and processing speed skills;

. People with higher levels of omega three fatty acids had better executive function – the ability to plan, problem solve, multi-task and perform other functions – as well as fewer white matter lesions on their brain scans.

The findings held after researchers took age, sex, education, hypertension and genetic and other factors into account.

Some trans fats are found naturally, in small amounts, in dairy products, beef and lamb, but the trans fats in the study are hidden in cakes, flaky pas-tries, potato chips and other fried, frozen and processed food. Trans fatty acids increase inflammation, make arteries harder and decrease heart rhythm, increasing the risk of cardiac arrest.

Only a handful of studies have looked at the relationship between trans fats and brain function, Bowman said. “I think our study is one of the first to look at blood levels of trans fats related to brain health.”

Evidence suggests that trans fats can replace good fats in cell membranes, “and when that occurs it changes the structure and chemical properties of the cell in an unfavourable way,” Bowman said.

“Trans fats are known to be bad for cardiovascular health,” he said. “It makes sense that they’re probably bad for the brain, too.”

He recommended avoiding processed foods that list “partially hydrogenated oils” on the ingredient list. “That’s trans fat,” Bowman said.
– Source: Vancouver Sun

80 Comments on "Trans Fats Linked to Brain Shrinkage"

as usual our brains are the main target for most of their poisons. Brain is the main important part of our body they still work lot of time.

anita

this doesnt surprise me after having read Kissinger's plan of food as a weapon and food genocide. http://www.larouchepub.com/other/1995/2249_kissin

Drew

Remember when fast food companies said that they'll eliminate trans fat from the menu or something like that? I HIGHLY doubt it. They probably added more toxins into the foods! It's a scary thought but I think the best thing we can do is put down the Big Mac and munch on some veggies.

A couple things that are super important for everyone to know: 1. Products labeled "trans fat free" often do contain trans fat! This is because of some BS regulation (which was probably written by the food processing industry) stating that if there is 1/2 a gram of trans fat or less per serving, the product can be called trans-fat free. So the companies simply make the serving sizes smaller, and bingo! The moral of the story is, READ LABELS! If there are hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils, it does contain trans fat. 2. The new vegetable shortenings and margarines that… Read more »
enlightnened

Organic all the way!

here ye!

Angie
@lady GaGa- Couldnt you have just ignored that comment about Spongebob? " If you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all……" I think she was getting at the whole "Doctors say one thing is good for you, next year they say its bad for you." @LBV- I'm not trying to discredit your rant, but I dont think any of those people were givin the choice to eat unhealthy. Mr. Franklin never ate Mcdonalds. Its only been in the last 60 years that people started eating the processed crap that we call food today. Most of the… Read more »

Hey Angie,

Yep, I get what you're saying, too, and tried to better explain what I didn't do so well at saying the first time around.

Sometimes rants are great free flowing thoughts…other times they go kinda sideways. 🙂

Me, Myself & Eye
Just had quick look into this EDTA you're talking about & this is what i found: EDTA – a food additive sequestrant Unwanted metals often find there way into food from the soil and from machinery during harveting and processing. Often these metals, such as copper, iron and nickel, then degrade the food stuffs by catalyzing the oxidation of the fats in the food. A class of food additives known as sequestrants can be added to food. The additive reacts with trace metals in foods, forming tightly bound complexes (sequestered), thereby preventing the decompostion of the food. The sodium and… Read more »
Me, Myself & Eye

By the way that information was from the Department of Chemistry/University of Oxford.

Masonicon

In the Capitalist New World Order, Reptilian Jinns eats you, particularly when you're couch potatoes!

David Carranza

Damn,this means I won't be eating anymore of those tasty pringles.

Naf

@ lady gaygay I'm just saying that the restaurants saying that they say it's good for u

Lady gaga

Since when has mc Donald's ever claimed that 9/10 doctors recommend eating their crap?

Lady gaga

@ naf Wtf does spongebob have to do with this? Go eat your toxic fictional krabby patties.

Anyways McDonalds fill their nuggets with crap. It's no wonder I feel mildly nauseous after eating them. >_>

Naf

One day I was watching The spongebob Truth or Square episode and there was an add( in the show about krabby patties) and mr krabs said in a doctor suit that 9out of 10 doctors recommend krabby patties and in another episode Squidward revealed that the krabby patty had lots of fat.

Me, Myself & Eye

Truth or Square? as in masonic square?

STOP!

Still not going vegetarian. . .

Nell

This appeared in the Oregonian as well.

Only problem here is – and I really do hate to state the painfully and absurdly obvious – especially because I know that many of you are very, very intelligent human beings, but…I feel it appropriate and necessary to ask that you consider this: I would have to think that in past centuries, some of the greatest minds that have existed and discovered, created, engineered, manufactured and composed some…well, quite honestly not SOME, but MOST of the greatest inventions, art and music in the history of time – all while eating plenty of those God-awful "trans fats". Ya know? Like,… Read more »
JB

Trans fats are a new invention that come with new foods… the very clever people that you are talking about were unlikely to have been exposed to these chemicals. In their day, eating meat or vegrtables were more likely to be have been organic because we hadn't started playing around with food at that time…

t-t
where did u get the idea that people and/or scientists from the past ate the crappy food (standard American diet a.k.a SAD diet) that we eat today and is put in almost all our food? people in the past ate whole foods w/ hardly any chemicals because they werent even invented yet. chemicals in our food have been added progressively over this last century i would say and cancer, heart diseases and the like have gotten worse too. not to mention GMO's (genetically modified) which are seeds that had theyre DNA altered and are not found in nature, that cannot… Read more »
Sarah Connor

@LVB….are you seriously accusing people who consider, with care, the toxins the adversary is trying to fill our bodies and our babies bodies with….as idolotry? I see no body builders pontificating here!?

And are you seriously calling me out by name as being vain because I would care about such things….for my children and the generation behind me….and next…..and next? WTH?

Hey, I totally get what you're saying about chemicals and all, and there's no debating that is truthful, as is what Sarah is saying…completely true. I didn't really make the distinction well enough between "trans-" artificial vs. natural fat, so my bad there…but I do get it and agree. My point was more literally what I said (or tried to) and I guess maybe it was misunderstood somewhat. I've got no argument at all that the corp-govt-ruling elite are out to deliberately dumb us down and depopulate according to their designs for a better world…for themselves and their Luciferian pals,… Read more »
Sarah Conner
I agree with the majority of your post LBV – but think you may be off track about 'trans' fat. The fat you are talking about regarding our elders does mostly not include 'trans'. But real fat. There is a difference. Good, healthy and organic 'fat' is good for our bodies and our minds. "Trans' is not. Weston A Price: westonaprice.org/know-your-fats – "Know Your Fats" Also even wiki proclaims: Trans fat is the common name for unsaturated fat with trans-isomer (E-isomer) fatty acid(s). Because the term refers to the configuration of a double carbon-carbon bond, trans fats are sometimes monounsaturated… Read more »
Sarah Connor
LVB – Sigh….revealing something from within, no, that wasn't it. Calling me out specifically in the middle of a two paragraph rant on people being vain and committing self idolatry COULD be seen as suggestive. No? And you weren't talking just to me, you were posting a forum where others would have no idea what you are referring to. Leaves room for error. Choose your words more carefully to avoid being misunderstood. The kicker is I do know how vain you think the world is….and the ultimate irony of this whole exhange is that in the conversation you are referring… Read more »
And Sarah, I was really just talking TO you and the other person, but not ABOUT you. Only sharing some thoughts and observations I thought you might find interesting, but not at all meant as accusations in any way. I guess if you saw yourself in those comments somehow, that might be revealing something from within or about yourself, but I wouldn't really know, and I certainly didn't intend anything of the sort. There are no bad or harsh feelings on my end whatsoever…for reals. I hope only for the best things and all of God's blessings in the lives… Read more »

No, I wasn't calling you out at all, only making a joke about a past conversation we had.

Nothing personal intended.

Iram

Thank God I take Omega 3 every morning 🙂

Michelle

This article is right on. Read "The China Study" it talks about a Scientist who discovered that almost all illnesses come from what we eat and that even Alzheimer’s can be prevented by changing how we eat. He did a 30 year study on how people ate. Most of this information will never be popular or be known to the masses because the food industry including dairy, USDA, FDA, pharmaceutical companies, insurance, and the medical industry, would all lose too much money.

"The China Study" T Collin Campbell

kiki

They should outlaw trans fat from food like they did in New York State in the rest of the country.

Amanda
The sad thing is that so many children in North America start eating McDonalds at a very young age. I remember loving the food when I was four or five years old. It's targeted at our youth, so the elite are trying to poison us from the time we are born. On a different note, I would love to see an article on hormones. I'm a bit of a Suzanne Somers follower, and I've learned so much from her about our society's issues with 'fake' hormones and how they are making us sick, depressed, and overweight. The birth control pill… Read more »
Ralphster
What kills me is all the hysteria about obesity in this country, but we allow trans fats and corn syrup to be used in food processing, and actually subsidize some of their production with tax dollars, ie, they take our money to make poison to put in our food. They both should be illegal. Take them out of the food supply and you cut at least 25% of the obesity problem immediately. We didn't have an obesity epidemic until these toxins started being used in such massive quantities. At least another 25% of the problem could be eliminated by making… Read more »
locust
Here's part of my lifestyle. Building a better brain is a big part of it. I cook for myself as much as possible. I eat very little meat. Some days I take a multi-vitamin and/or an Omega-3 pill. I try to eliminate stress from my life. I struggle with this every day (don't get me started talking about my neighbor!). I exercise (I enjoy DanceDanceRevolution, of all things!). I exercise my brain by trying to learn new things. I read VigilantCitizen daily – I have learned and am almost immune to the lies and more lies coming from the television.… Read more »
teehee
People always like to blame diseases on desserts and "processed foods" but in reality, almost everything the standard people eat today is extremely unhealthy. Fats, especially the kinds coming from animals, are so bad for you. Not only are they the main things that are making people overweight or obese, but they clog your arteries and block your cells (which we have like… millions of at least) so that the important things in food cannot enter and give you energy. Also, proper brain fuel is really important (and when we're fueled up, we can see through all the BS/illuminati brainwashing… Read more »
Alexandra

Yeah right. Explain how I've lost 30 pounds the last couple of months by cutting carbs and increasing consumption of grass-fed meats. Saturated fat will not clog your arteries.

eyestosee

You've put your body into ketosis. That's how those diets work.

Here is proof of how chicken nuggets are made. Lucky me I don't like chicken nuggets much at all anyway lol. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T67DvoH2H3E

Teresa

Cheese, butter and red meat would be better for you than refined carbs, sugary desserts and processed food. If you want to cook with fats use only virgin olive oil, coconut oil and butter. Oils high in omega 3's should be only consumed raw.

nondescript

omega 3's from fish oil i will not take anymore…the sea life is poisonous. walnuts are a good source omega 3's.

Muffin

Wow…..didn't know one could loose brain! I thought that eating fast food just makes you FEEL dumber and eating veggies makes you FEEL smarter. But if you look at people around you tis actually obvious that it's not just a feeling. Slimmer people tend to think faster. And when I had 20kg more on my ribs I tended to be quite slow. So from experience one could believe it! Good job VC