“The Television Will Not Be Revolutionized”

RIP Gil Scott Heron

Gil Scott Heron, the musician, poet and author famous for the saying “The Revolution Will Not Be Televised” passed away on May 27th 2011. Here’s a poem written by Lupe Fiasco in his honor which I believe will ring true with many readers of this site.

“The Television Will Not Be Revolutionized”

Idiot boxes of the world unite! To fight off the effects of intelligence, replace smart quotes with fart jokes, substitute sense with scenes from Martin, let the baby’s bathe in that glow and learn all manner of things they don’t really need to know!

The Television Will Not Be Revolutionized!

Channel the content of some rambling nonsense deep into the annals of yo’ subconscious, deprogram and depress chasing some televised success, be them, that, they and those be everything but in control,

The Television Will Not Be Revolutionized!

Small claims Court drama, teenage baby mamas, Osama watching Osama, Celebrity Endorsed indoor saunas, the perfectly cooked piraña and other cannonfodder for you to ponder, all at the speed of imitations of life while the smoke of war gets inhaled thru the peace pipes, be still my beating heart and scare my brain from thinking thoughts as i sit intoxicated by the delights, sarcasm and 3 strikes thrown by my favorite pitcher in a sound surrounded, 3 dimensional, high death, full color mixture, wholly unsocializing and completely uncensored,

The Television Will Not Be Revolutionized!

By this one-eyed monster most of the world was raised, and by this hero most of the world was saved, and to this master most of the world is slaves, it factors your fears with actors and cheers from a live studio audience pushing you to engage in a heroic act of thoughtlessness for the grand prize of a little bread, fleeting fame in the circus and every thought in yo head,

The Television Will Not Be Revolutionized!

“Ain’t no changing me” said my flat screen TV, No More Che’s to the rescue, or Black Panthers to correct you, just coaxial cables and satellite signals to connect you to a world that doesn’t really look like it does on TV, where everything is much shorter, fatter, uglier and in disorder, where u have to do it now because there are no digital recorders where if the present gets boring you can just fast forward,

The Television Will Not Be Revolutionized!

So there will be no revolution, or paradoxically ironic televised public execution of the entire worldwide televising institution, there wont even be a celebritized, televised trial of old baby blue, cuz you see my dear friends the television will not be revolutionized but what about the revolution that should taking place inside………………….of you?

By Wasalu “Lupe Fiasco” Jaco in Dedication to that guiding light of a human being Gil-Scott Heron

54 Comments on "“The Television Will Not Be Revolutionized”"

Wow..that was nothing but complete knowledge and self examination of our culture and lifestyles…true hip hop dosen't care about beats and instrumentals because that poem spoke to me without a drum or a voice to carry it. Lupe Fiasco is by far one of my favorite poets because of his attitude towards the culture and how the government and idea of democracy/free markets are degrading and breaking us down as a people and a nation. Vigilant Alwayz

The reason why Lupe Fiasco is currently in the charts with L.A.S.E.Rs is because his label basically threw all the songs at him, with the intention of commercialising his latest LP. He had very little say in what the new album would feature. The thing is, he was very open about this in an interview: most performers would shy away from being so honest about a manipulative record label.

Listen to THE COOL (his second LP). That album defined the new generation of hip hop for me. Especially with songs like "Streets on Fire" and "Little Weapon." LASERS, in comparison to The Cool, is not his best work. The man is an underrated genius, even given his latest chart success, I think people are buying his stuff based on the production value as opposed to his amazing lyrics.

I'm glad I don't watch much television. When I do, however, it's usually to just see what lies and half-truths they're trying to feed to us. Majority of the time the stuff on the news is completely pointless. They actually did a report on a new animal being born in zoo the other day. Honestly who the hell gives a f*** about a new elephant being born in the zoo. That ain't news, it's petty stuff. There's so much more going on that needs to be brought to light! It's just sickening how messed up this society is!

I hate coming to school everyday and being at a complete loss, because my friends are all talking about what happened on the last episode of "Jersey Shore." Well, I refuse to give into all this trivial nonsense. I'm perfectly content reading a book or studying instead of watching MTV or Video Hits.

I have been very humbled by a near death experience on top of our ever changing society. I have always loved poems ,but with no outlets never published anything besides i would rather share them for free. Most people have so much potential if only they go a different path. This poem i made reflects those thoughts thank you. This poem doesn't have a name please feel free to comment and help me with a title. MORE OR LESS WHY DO WE STRESS LIFE IS ONLY A TEST WITH OR WITHOUT A CURE TO CHANGE FROM FILTHY TO PURE WORDS WITH LOGIC ARE BURIED IN OUR CLOSET CAN WE ESCAPE THE FATE OF A MISTAKE CAN WE ASK TIME TO CHANGE THE PAST HAVE WE FORGOTTEN TO LAUGH THAT THIS WORLD HAS GIVEN US A LONELY PATH GIVE US THE BAD SO WE CAN RESIST TEACH THEM THE GOOD SO… Read more »
Terri w/an i

Bravo! An overlooked rap artist who "gets it."

Excellent prophetic poem. But unlike the post from Rebecca, I find television a necessity in order to watch the unfolding of world events. News & current affairs, up to the minute footage of war zones & birth pangs erupting in the earth & the current situation in Israel are all unmissable. TV is a good source for information, if you know how to 'read between the lines.' I choose what to watch & what not to watch. I've no choice regarding advertisements, but I have a brain to sift out the wheat from the chaff.

I thought the poem was poignant and necessary, though I'm not understanding why he chose to single 'Martin (A show that ended 14 years ago)' out when there are many recent and worse black sitcoms he could've chose from (i.e. both of Tyler Perry's sitcoms ['House of Payne' & 'Meet the Browns'] in order to get his point across. Nevertheless, my opinion of the poem stands.

Vigilant Citizen,

You expose Kanye west on your website but now I am confused as Gil Scott Heron is featured at the end of Kayne Wests album with some pretty good poetry. Look up "Who Will Survive In America"

So is Kanye West a puppet whos fighting back? Whats going on??

I was confused as well… knowing that Jay put Lupe on the scene?

man, lupe just performed for MTV movie awards last nite….lookin real happy too, i hate posers, he still in it for dem pyramid notes too dont be fooled

RIP Gil Scott Heron…anothre great campaigner for truth

You know the news has reached a new low when they send out a reporter to cover "snooky's" fender bender in Italy while thousands of people are protesting in Greece and Spain with little or no coverage. I hope Lupe records this so it can reach more people.

The invasion built on lies

An agenda years in the making

Delusional thoughts of freedom our minds are shaking

As all mankind ignores the warning cries

Dare to open the box and look inside

Afraid of the truth that you might find

Carry on with a mind thats become blind

Question and you will be found on the outside

Everything they said they lied

Theres a right eye and its looking at you

24/7 seeing everything that you do

With mobile communication you can't hide

There are a few who try to show the path

Ridiculed, put on public display

no evidence of a coming doomsday

Head underground or feel their wrath

what is lupe doin on the radio? if he was really against tptb then i'm pretty sure he wouldnt be anywhere near the radio nor would want to be on it?

jewcifer whorus

It really is a polite act
Not to mension the hidden message in konkorus sprite by jumpsoft green
Please make an article on that

beautiful words, thank you for giving me the opportunity to read it

Everyone should post this on every facebook page and bulleting board or blog across the land.

Very Ironic the same day this wonderful guy died, NO mainstream media or newspapers showed/televised the mass up-rise of the people of Spain ? His words were truly inspirational for humanity and peace.

VIGILANT. how about you do an article on how lupe's agaisnt the illuminati. so many people have got their facts wrong about him. and do mention words i never said, if someone still think hes with the illuminati, well then they might as well be lucifer himself. lol

Astounding, what a sadly reassuring message.

His words are so powerful and true… speaks to my soul. Lets us all stay awake.

This was incredible!

RIP Gil, i'm sure if you could read this you would be proud =]

Athar kinza

Harishma please dont die
Please mandira, please dont die

jewdor chump

Firstl Iy wil like to ensure my faith oof jewish asparagasm to my fellow readers
I am not a freemason but I have a brother who took up the belife and worship of the polite soor as he likes to call it
I shall speak with the heart by my side
Its baphomets lines to be sure in mind and faith if you want to.follow him
I havent enough time as im late for a dentist appointment in tel aviv which as a 50 minute journey
I will reply as soon as my molars under controll
Please pray for the horn growing in my gum
Its the beginning of a new symbol

Incredible? Understatement. However, I totally agree with your statement. Gil was an underground GOD and respected by many of us that have read the signs even before the discovery and partial insight of Vigilant. Didn't matter if it was on a street corner, the barber shop or over a conscious opening of the mind experience (take a guess) he, Mister Heron was almost always mentioned. The irony? Lupe has gained some of that same respect. He is terribly under read or mis-understood. Hence this thread that slams not only Lupe but any of us that are true "Theorist" (Chit's not a conspiracy anymore. Matter fact it never has been.) http://slumz.boxden.com/f87/lupe-fiasco-garbage-7… they call the kid a backpacking skateboarder that isn't living life to the fullest? Why? Because he isn't at your local neighborhood party chasing booty or selling dope to a despondent mother or under aged kid? Silliness right? I am… Read more »

My respect to the recent passing away of a great man, Mister Gil Scott Heron, whose poetic brilliance and genius will inspire countless untold generations throughout the literary annals of recorded time.

Lupe is this generation`s Tupac Shakur. I am sure that his "warning" will be coming soon. Many people don`t seem to get this kid, but he knows what he`s seen, and he often speaks it in his form of art. Need to check out some of his other songs.

You should hear the original poem…the revolution will not be televised and e plubrius unum that Gil Scott Heron did with the last poets….2 very deep pieces that break down revolution and the almighty dollar and explain the truth of this corrupt nation. I also recommend that you post them VC readers will appreciate it.

We are all born to die.