San Francisco to require ID scans, photos of everyone who goes to a venue

San Francisco’s Entertainment Comission has proposed new measures causing quite an uproar as they would turn the city into a high-tech police state.

San Francisco’s Entertainment Commission has proposed that all bars, clubs, and venues should be required to photograph and collect ID from everyone who comes in for a drink or a show. The photos and personal information would be retained so that police could get a list of every person who was in the club on any given night. Leaving aside the (obvious) fourth amendment issues inherent in governments collecting massive databases of presumed-innocent people’s lawful activities and movements, this is also a security nightmare, in which thousands of club staff and their friends would have access to personal information that would be of great interest to stalkers, creeps and identity thieves.

From BoingBoing.net article

The measures in question are:

3) All occupants of the premises shall be ID Scanned (including patrons, promoters, and performers, etc.). ID scanning data shall be maintained on a data storage system for no less than 15 days and shall be made available to local law enforcement upon request.

4) High visibility cameras shall be located at each entrance and exit point of the premises. Said cameras shall maintain a recorded data base for no less than fifteen (15 days) and made available to local law enforcement upon request.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation will present their critique of this proposal to the Commission at a public meeting:

Events with strong cultural, ideological, and political components are frequently held at venues that would be affected by these rules. Scanning the ID’s of all attendees at an anti-war rally, a gay night club, or a fundraiser for a civil liberties organization would have a deeply chilling effect on speech. Participants might hesitate to attend such events if their attendance were noted, stored, and made available on request to government authorities. This would transform the politically and culturally tolerant environment for which San Francisco is famous into a police state.We are deeply disappointed in the San Francisco Entertainment Commission for considering such troubling, authoritarian, and poorly thought-out rules. The Commission should reject this attack on our most basic civil liberties. San Francisco cannot hope to remain a hub of cultural and political activity if we are stripped of our civil liberties the moment we walk through the door of a venue.

121 Comments on "San Francisco to require ID scans, photos of everyone who goes to a venue"

joebanana

So whats this going to do for the "sanctuary city" status? Or identity theft?

matamou

"San Francisco cannot hope to remain a hub of cultural and political activity if we are stripped of our civil liberties the moment we walk through the door of a venue."

The elite doesn't wan't it, but the exact opposite.

ID scanning isn't a good idea at all for the entertainment industry. It's going to scare away patrons from coming to clubs, bars and other social venues. Is there really a need for such? I think it's just going to be a waste of money, time and effort.

Name (required)

and every car passing through a long island township

tarinot

and further, people nowadays are DISTRACTED and do not care much about their freedoms they take for granted – until they're gone – and everyone, including the homosexuals, Jews, Christians and gypsies are herded into cattle cars …. oops, oh wait, that's already been done before….. hmmm

tarinot

Alex Jones yelling all these years about this type of stuff – doesn't seem like a lunatic now much, does he? POLICE STATE – PRISON PLANET – right around the corner under Obamanation.

michael fitzsimmons

um, we already have this in australia. it's been in place for just over a year now. they scan proof of age cards, passports, take photo's of you, the whole deal. the responses i got from security guards when i pointed out thats its illegal to take copies of government documents was pretty hilarious.

hooray for everything . . . sigh . . .

Roberto

Foucault, sigue vigente y mucho

well Rae...

Well it's kind of annoying how people try to say homosexuality is Christian. It's funny how people think God is so "nice" and as long as you are "nice" to others then you are saved. But I get what you are saying.

Great article VC!

Rae

Wow….another article when the comments turned into talking about ''god'' and how homosexuality is wrong…….why don't we stick to whats relevant to the article people, and get a life. I'm so tired of hearing that shit. All a bunch of sheep that repeat the same lines over, and over.

bi

i have seen that on facebook venues as well as ones friends etc upload photos of peoples nights out, the next day they all sign on and mindlessly click to associate their names with the photos, and last year facebook bought in its photo recognision thing.

Rebecca

I just want to say that as much as i don't like this, there has been a lot of violence inside some bay area clubs, people getting shot and stabbed. Unfortunately, this gives an excuse to invade privacy because people don't know how to act right. Not looking forward to this though

logo go

its almost like rihanna snl video with all the secruity cameras moving when someone moves

Daniel
We already have this in Perth, Australia. Whenever I go to a club or pub at night time they all mostly now require you to have your ID scanned and photo taken……One place even takes your fingerprint which I sadly must say I actually went to when I was drunk and didn't care. They told me they kept it for a month then start fresh but I went there a year later and they still had me on record. Apparently you can ask them to remove you though. Anyway, just saying that this is completely unnecessary and invasive. I hate… Read more »
rick

we have this in Sydney clubs as well.

i was surprised when going into a club i had to stand in front of a camera to get my face scanned onto they're database.

lilly
My mom owns a bar and does this. It's a little box that goes on the wall that's connected to the security system. You put the ID on a little lever on the slide inside and it snaps a photo of it. It's really helpful for when we have incidents and police get involved to save our own butts to prove the person had ID, it was also helpful in identifying a person who brought in a gun and started firing into the air when he got into a fight. Really any responsible venue should have one of these and… Read more »
manicmandii

When they're trying to push something in our faces that we initially don't like they'll create a real problem and show that they have the ONLY answer…."See people, this disaster wouldn't have happened if only you'd let us implement [insert policy or something we don't need here]" They do it so much that most people don't notice…weird how after all major disasters and such the governments answer is a policy that encroaches on our rights, soon we won't have any. Its starting to get old. Big Brother will be in plain sight if this goes through.

Greg M

Until people start boycotting everything, lotteries (voluntary tax) night clubs, airports etc. They will keep pushing. The day these Govts quit making money off their attacks on free speech, assembly etc. is the day things change.

Like, some of you people have no faith, do you? You really think God's going to let the government and so called "elites" turn us into zombies? Have any of you heard of praying? Has anyone actually believed in faith? The government is already watching us, but that doesn't mean they're going to do anything. I know that God is going to protect my family, friends, me, any basically(sorry if mispelled) everybody. Can we please talk about enjoying life or the good things in life?

~b

"I know that God is going to protect my family, friends, me, any basically(sorry if mispelled) everybody"

That's not faith. Faith is knowing that your family may well be slaughtered and yet still believing in God's Will. Thinking that everything is going to be fine and dandy with you and your loved ones is setting yourself up for a fall. We should all ask God for the strength to accept what comes our way in this tribulation, good or bad, knowing that all things pass, but His words and promises will never pass.

Emery

I'm sure there's a website for that somewhere….

😉

(No but seriously, I feel ya. Although, there is a balance… and it isn't always on the favourable side)

Dan

^^^ Sorry for the grammar mistakes but I was in a hurry

Dan

I live in a small suburbian town with hardly any shops or glam and there CCTVs everywhere within a few feet. The constant scrutiny became unbearable the last 2 years. I wouldn't mind if they were there to protect us but from my experience I reckon they exist to strange our freedom and rights.

Maranatha!
Do you see why the elite have been using these poor entertainers to push their agenda and brainwash the masses? By the way, I'm praying for these precious souls and you should too. And I'm praying for myself, because I know I desperately need a Savior. God is so wonderful and I am thankful for the Word of God (the bible). The world will recognize the infallibility of this Book of books and the Most High. I promise you. Have any of you heard about or looked into what's called: The Emerging Church? It's a very very dangerous movement that's… Read more »
Emery

Maybe I will see you there!

Save The Rave!

Anon

XD You're awesome! AMEN!

Brandon

This is why my family and I are moving out to the country, with our own well and windmill/solar (there are some great tax credits out there right now). I am done with this whole society, I feel like I'm surrounded by brain-dead zombies everywhere I go.

~b

You still have to pay "ground rent" no matter how far into the mountains you move in property taxes. Growing enough food for a whole family is a mighty task. Definitely a noble effort and would help with piece of mind, but this thing has to be confronted spiritually… whether you're in the hills or a metro downtown.

the inquirer

…and they say VC is crazy, lets bring back the house parties, damn the nightclubs.

Keep it underground.