Tim Thomas holding up the Stanley Cup in spring 2011

One of the perks of winning a championship title in professional sports is to attend the traditional White House meet-and-greet, where the President himself comes out to congratulate the players and to throw a few pre-scripted jokes. Well Tim Thomas, the all-star goalie of the Boston Bruins and winner of the playoff MVP award did not perceive this rare occasion as a privilege. Nope, in a gutsy and controversial move, the only American-born player on the entire team totally boycotted the event. In his Facebook page, Thomas explained the reason of his absence:

“I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People. This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government.

Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.

This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic.”

His absence was not well received AT ALL by fans and journalists who called him a “disgrace” and a “right-wing redneck”. I call him “someone who knows what the hell is going on and won’t stand for it”. The last few administrations have indeed betrayed the very foundations of the US Constitution and it doesn’t take a “right-wing redneck” to realize it. We’ve seen in the past weeks the voting of some of the most disgusting laws in US History, notably the NDAA, the police-state law.

So, in short, it takes guts to win a Stanley Cup but it takes balls of iron-clad steel to reject the President and to tell the world what you think about the presidency. Kudos, Tim Thomas. I for one respect your move.

133 Comments on "NHL Champ Tim Thomas Declines White House Invitation Due To “Out of Control Government”"

carolina
2 years 1 day ago

Well at least he have the courage to don't play the game we only know that the only reason the president wants to see you is because is going to ask you something you can't deny and become a mindless drone like Kim Kardashian that's the only reason she is still out there.

casey
i'm glad i read this article. on my news station, it made it seem like time was just an Obama hater that didn't want to meet him. I don't watch hockey so I'd never heard of tim, but the local news anchor that i watch in l.a. said that tim didn't support president obama and didn't want to meet someone who doesn't align with his political views. from this perspective, i thought that tim seemed like a "right-wing redneck" lol and didn't support him. after however hearing the situation in tims own words I fully agree with him and congratulate… Read more »
S. G.
People act as though a president or prime minister of any country acts alone. They are slaves first, puppets second, and not independent at all on any level. They are just a face to represent the wicked agenda. The real people in control hide behind the mask of a country's president or prime minister. Even if for example Obama had an epiphany and wanted to make laws that truly helped his people he has to get approval from the group of people who are really in charge that have all the money. Has to get through the punk ass Lobbyists.… Read more »
critz

yup!! that's how we do it in beantown!! i was so happy when i heard about this its a shame the whole team didn't decline!!

I have zero interest in sports but this guy just became my favorite athelete.

Utmost respect to Mr. Thomas for this bold choice.

Good for him! Excellent to see someone in the public eye standing up for what they believe. It's a shame he was called 'a disgrace' by the journos and his so called 'fans' for doing so though, lets hope his actions sparked some interest from the masses…

face in the crowd
Greetings Renato, from Central California, west coast of North America… Many, many people in my state are not at all agreeing with our government and we do not support public and private sector greed (politicians, corporations, etc) so spread the world that most Americans are not how we are represented on TV to other countries…we have morals and feel empathy for the worlds poor and endangered species and we live within our means in defiance of our "elected" aka bought off officials. We are quietly mobilizing locally…it is all we can do at the moment…and we pay attention to global… Read more »
Kate

I love him! Few ever truly get the opportunity to stand up for what they believe in. Mr.Thomas did and he did exactly the right thing.

I love him.

Warrior

I will buy a Tim Thomas Jersey because he stands with the people.

Soulsabor

Bob dylan also rejected an invite from Obama to the white house… Didn't dylan say in an interview he made a deal with the devil?

Thomas Igoe Jr.

I think the decent thing for Mr. Thomas would have been to put his political difference aside and honor a "presidential" invite. I have LOST ALL RESPECT for him.

Before the Fall

Why honor the Kenyan imposter or any other scumbag who rapes the country?

The federal government has overstepped itsw constitutional authority. Time for to give the power back to the people, and not the scum who live in Washington.

The President serves me, not the other way around. Until we get back to that reality, the President can blow me.

drewe

It makes 2 of us then. 😛

I'm Brazilian. In the past few years I hated North americans because, in my foolishness, I supposed they most were like Bush : Imperialist and ready to fuck the other to promote themselves. Then I knew this URL and I realized that there's a lot of North Americans disappointed about that nasty government – God protect us all against the ignorance Against the ignorance we feel that we are superior to any human being Against the ignorance we feel that violence solves problems Against the ignorance that do not allow to feel compassion for those who suffer Against the ignorance… Read more »
ruralkiller

Good for him standing for what he knows is right!!this is awesome but too bad it won't get no press the tools will do their job to cover it up!!!

bob aveyard

I wouldn't let foolish pride keep me from visiting the White House no matter who was President.seems llike a protest meant to grab headlines for the floundering hockey business.

Katie

While I don't agree with his platform and think his aggression is misguided I admire his balls. I'd like to think, had I been invited to the White House by Bush I'd have answered with a hearty "Get bent." (And by bent I mean another word that starts with an f)

Donna

He can start watching for the audit letter from the IRS soon.

Before the Fall

Great point. Clinton and the first Bush were good at that.

tiredofthisreality

This makes me want to become a celebrity just to refuse matters like this! I LOVE when celebs come out and say (in context but outright) that they know what is going on and they do not agree. It makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one in the 'movie' that knows what's going on and no one believes them lol.

Be more open-minded
If everyone of you on this site got an invitation to the white house, you would all go. True statement. That was a brave thing he did but I can't honestly say I wouldn't go. That would be a great opportunity to talk to the president about a few things, even if nothing is being done, it would be a ride I wouldn't miss just to say I spoke my concerns and I visited there. First hand info from the people, for the people. Isn't that what Obama preaches, lol I'm just being real about it. I may not get… Read more »
ava
This has nothing to do with politics. Championship teams going to the White House is just that…about sports. If he was really a man about it (and since he was the only American) he could have met with President Obama and had a discussion with him. However, he took the spotlight away from his teammates. The team going to the White House is about the TEAM not the individual. What he is really doing as a citizen of the United States to help his fellow citizens? Not going to the White House is not that big a deal! President Obama… Read more »
jamie
out of 67 comments only 3 thought he did the wrong thing.this 1 above me is babblin about respect & compliance sheesh are ppl really this passive to authority. I could never have any time for anyone who complies with authority, dont you get a fire in your belly when you read about something like this, dosent it make you just want to rebel against all authority. My outer child loves takin the piss out of anybody who tries to claim authority over me. & another thing shouldnt we be past all this trying to dominate the world shit, dont… Read more »
Clarion

Tim Thomas' flimsy excuse is just a cop-out. News flash: the government didn't just get "out of control" when President Obama was elected. I have never seen such open, unchecked disrespect of the leader of the free world in my life. Some people still can't stand the fact that the President of the United States of America is a Black man named Barack Obama. Point blank. Period.

drewe

Don't assume that people don't like him because he's black. Truth to be told the only reason I initially liked him was his dark looks. I thought there would be a positive change if a leader of the Western world was for once black instead of the usual white Anglo-Saxons/Jewish clowns. The man is despicable and a two-faced opportunist, ah let's not forget a lawyer. People are actually intimidated to stand up to people like him in case they're accused of racial discrimination.

Jennifer
I feel he was wrong. Whether or not we agree with a president or an administration is besides the point. An invitation from the president to the white house deserves respect and compliance, plain and simple. Even the founding fathers rebelled like gentlemen. This hockey player and his parents should be ashamed. You don't have to agree with a person or like them but you do have to treat them with civility. This player might be tough on the ice but he is a chicken in real life. He didn't have the guts to face Obama and allow for him… Read more »
Clarion

My sentiments exactly!

drewe

Respect is earned and the president of your country -among with other countries- doesn't deserve any.

Well. . . I am sure you all know about dog whistles and their purpose. You have answered yours well. How tasteless of a public figure to disrespect the office of the President. No better than Governor Brewer of Arizona sticking her finger in the President's face. Publicity stunt??? President Obama has worked hard for the average American from health insurance for individuals with PRE-existing conditions to fighting to keep our taxes from being raised. He has ended the war in Iraq saving us, the taxpayers, billions of dollars to finance an unjust war. I don't understand the people around… Read more »
drewe

The Lord said we should love each other but Christ still gave a piece of his mind to the Pharisees and the market stalls merchants.

doug

takes a hockey player to lead the way! thanks Tim for taking a stand.!!

turnkey
These little acts of civil defiance matter in bringing attention to the growing slow tyranny of our government! God bless Mr. Thomas and his family during the inevitable backlash. The right things are indeed often the hardest. P.S. When people throw around terms like "redneck," what they really mean is CONSERVATIVE (and often rural) WHITE PEOPLE. It is their attempt to shame us into capitulation of urban, elite socialist ideals through implying racism, which is a tired and often VERY inaccurate caricature. Using a play from the far-left playbook, "own the phrase by taking it back and using it yourself!"… Read more »
turnkey

urban, elite socialist ideals…

(and don't forget ATHEIST and/or OCCULT!)