New Monopoly features a computer tower monitoring every move

The new version of Monopoly features an ominous computer tower which monitors your moves, counts your money, rolls the dice for you and tells you what to do…Sounds fun!

Jeopardy isn’t the only game being threatened by computer domination.

A new version of board game staple Monopoly will ditch the dice and paper money in exchange for an ominous computer tower that monitors player activity. Hasbro unveiled the product –somewhat ironically dubbed “Monopoly Live” — at this week’s Toy Fair in New York, reports The New York Times.

The ten-inch tower sits in the middle of the game board, using infrared technology to keep track of the action while barking out instructions to players. Move one too many spaces? The all-seeing eye computer tower will know. It even rolls the (virtual) dice for you.

Thankfully, the core element of the Monopoly board — the location of properties — has remained unchanged, so you can still set up your favorite hotel chains, land on free parking and scoop up dough by passing “Go.” But say goodbye to that brightly colored Monopoly money and those Community Chest and Chance cards — if it’s made of paper, it’s pretty much gone. Instead, players will buy and sell properties by holding their hands over special decals and will check their accounts by inserting ATM cards into the tower.

The Big Brother-like move is intended to revive interest in the dwindling board game market.

“How do we give them the video game and the board game with the social experience? That’s where Monopoly Live came in,” Jane Ritson-Parsons, global brand leader for Monopoly, told the Times.

The newfangled Monopoly is sure to have detractors, however. Players have long considered the basic Monopoly rules to be more a set of loose guidelines, and have traditionally livened things up by encouraging sneakier tactics like hiding money and making deals with other players on the fly. With the tower overseeing every move, such casual cheating will be a thing of the past.

With Monopoly Live, Hasbro is hoping to appeal to younger players more accustomed to the fast-paced world of digital downloads and bite-sized game apps (the biggest of which, Angry Birds, will be getting the board game treatment later this year.) It’s planned to be a shorter, quicker experience that doesn’t require thumbing through an instruction manual, and will even include random mini-games — such as a horse race or sudden property auction — to break up the game’s oft-criticized monotony.

The game goes on sale this fall for $50. Other Hasbro franchises will receive a similar upgrade in the future, with Battleship going under the hi-tech knife later this year.

– Source

97 Comments on "New Monopoly features a computer tower monitoring every move"

Ruanl123

All I can truly say is ….Wow!

Here we live in a world were a huge percentage of the world's population lives in poverty, HIV/AIDS is devastating Africa and the Indian sub-continent, A near-nuclear accident in Japan etc etc….

But still they about some boardgame…

I wonder, is there anything/anyone not evil? Perhaps Judy Garland?

somethingrandom

Oh my god!!! I know I’m a little late to the convo but I had to comment because something stood way out when I saw the device. It instantly reminded me of the mind control device the Riddler used in the movie Batman Forever (1995). Go to IMDb, the storyline says, “as The Riddler he perfects a device for draining information from all the brains in Gotham” and it just so happens to look exactly like the Monopoly computer tower. Coincidence?

somethingrandom

Here's a link to a picture of The Riddler wearing the device that I mentioned in the comment above.

Godschild

My children will play ol school monopoly. Fuck this shit they are talking about.

Analysis as a business-minded person:

I've noticed that Hasbro seems keen on pulling stunts to try and keep these old brands chugging

along (see also Battleship-branded movie, for example), likely due to their traditional-gaming niche being overcome by other forms of entertainment

me, I'll still use the regular set. I do sometimes use a notepad with each player's name and changing cash balance so as to avoid dealing with the paper money

Brie

ha. guys.. they are advancing a board game. its technology and we can't stop it. i wouldnt exactly break down over a monopoly game.. if it bothers you so much buy the classic version. there are much bigger things to worry about. dont be so melodramatic over a boardgame.

Psyche

It's not about the boardgame.. it's about what it represents…

Black Israelite
You know what… The first thing that stood out to me was the fact that the game no longer includes money and that theres a huge tower in the middle (very reminescent of police towers) with colors that are very similar to masonic colors thats basically controlling every aspect of the game. This might be a stretch but bear w/ me… I think the message here is that they are getting us used to another way of life. I think that the elite is subtlely letting the masses know that not only are they going to keep track of our… Read more »
Psyche
Not a stretch at all! That is exactly what they are doing! Getting us (and the kids especially) used to another way of life.. their way of life.. their dream of a life… and that's not only how it's being done.. I would consider EVERYTHING these days.. news, all forms of media, movies, music, even school (maybe especially school) to be simply PROPAGANDA and almost nothing else.. (at least in the mainstream arenas). I heard that they are pushing extra eduation on China because it's politically correct to 'like' them now.. now I have nothing against China.. have many Chinese… Read more »
Ruanl123

@Psyche,

If you fear that they are trying to indoctrinate and manipulate, perhaps you should leave your so-called Land of Freedom and settle somewhere safe. I can assure you, its not like that in every country.

Syrus

Fuck the NWO

Lilly

ok people, i know this is really bad and all, but I think you're forgetting you don't have to buy the game and monopoly is not ruined! it's not like they're going to discontinue the original monopoly along with the like 50 other versions and only sell this one. come on people, it's not worth this much time and energy fretting about it!

Jojo Bean

Good point.

Dan

This ish is eerie! The bottom half looks like the all seeing eye in the pyramid. Is that what we've come to??

Lina

Monopoly really helped me with my math, counting the money and even the dice, and yeah the made up rules were fun! And the cards! How stupid is this?

jr

Well I always thought that trying to cheat so much as possible without getting caught was the point

BR

LOL.

Could this game go along with your article about dumbing down society?

Couldn't be more obvious, huh?

A random thought

Think im gonna stick with the oldskool set i have much more fun not to mention the tower looks shite lol booo to hasbro

Guest

I actually lol'd at this lol… How blatant…

whatelseisnew
Monopoly has always been a game allegory to life in the Capitalist system we live in. All "money" (fake) comes from the "bank" which you earn for completing a task. Then you run around and buy all of the property (assets) and jack up the rents so nobody else can afford to live in your utopia. This is exactly the game the Elite play with our real money and assets, and games like Monopoly condition us to believe that it's normal. Now there's a big computer watching you and tracking everything you do to make sure that you don't "cheat"… Read more »
SoccerDad

I'm only buying one if it comes with the Sauron eye on the top… 😉

Jojo Bean

I LOL'ed so hard at that. XDDD

visionxx

They are aiming for the children and youth in order to acustom or condition them to the panoptic police state to come. Beware your sons and daughters. Teach them to think critically!!

sarky

Michel Foucault – Panopticism.. BOOM. Read that and that's all you need to know biatches.

peeping out

ppl will slowly start to see their life has become the same as the game they r playing, especially when it comes time for our currency to be exchanged for atm cards and we wont be able to buy anything without the chip.

Nicola
noooooooooooooooo? must "they"ruin absolutley everything. good job i still got an original version which we all play at home. I love our family version which includes an awful lot of IOU's hehehe. Main point though defo agree that we are being dumbed down. I feel as a parent that i am also the teacher as my kids school is not so good when it comes to basic english and maths. Apparently they are not important subjects till my child is around 9-10. Utter rubbish in my opinion, kids need the basics.
Jenna

I cant imagine how boring this game has become. making up rules like free parking money pool or negotiating properties or having community chest and chance is all part of the fun. if the tower is telling you what to do wheres the fun in that???

dotcom

Hope is in the proles.

LallyBally

I just watched an RSPCA advert in the UK about animal abuse (specifically dogs) and the sad thing about it was I could relate it all to human slaves… "Oh no he's back, better keep out of his way… where's my mummy… they can't tell anyone about the abuse they suffer… they can't accuse their tormenters or beg them to stop…" Only 3 pounds a month won't save the victims of programming 🙁

sad

the best part of this game was cheating, stealing money, and treating everyone like shit after you win because 1)they were lying and cheating too and 2) it just feels good to be rich even if its pretend. lol