microsoft-xbox-one-4843_1

I remember when video games were about getting Mario to save the princess and, when you were done, the console would leave you the hell alone. The new Xbox one apparently wants to put an end to those days by turning the beloved game console into a 24/7 surveillance device. The Xbox One will bundle the Kinect – a device that captures motion and sound – with every console and its camera and mic will be always on by default. In fact, Xbox One will actually refuse to work if the Kinect is not connected to it. So the camera and mic will work even when the console is turned off. And the camera will even work in the dark. Yup. It will also be able to read your facial expressions and count the people in the room with you (there are also talks of charging Pay-Per-View movies PER PERSON in the room).

Furthermore, all of this data captured by the device could easily be transmitted to God knows where as the console will require an internet connection to even function. This capability is rationalized because Microsoft wants to give users the ability of turning on the console by saying “Xbox On”. So, for this reason, the console needs to be listening to EVERY SINGLE word you’re saying around it in case you say “Xbox On”.

The unveiling of these capabilities no one asked for has lifted some eyebrows around the world.

Tim Vines, director at Civil Liberties Australia, told GamesFIX that Microsoft has a lot to answer for with a product that has the ability to listen and watch everything a person does.

“People should have the ability to turn off the camera or microphone, even if it limits the functionality of the machine,” he said. Vines believes privacy is “all about control”.

“Of course, if Microsoft doesn’t allow that (control), then people should vote with their wallets and skip the next Xbox.”

Vines says Microsoft should be upfront about what it does with data collected by Xbox One.

“Microsoft’s new Xbox meets the definition of a surveillance device under some Australian laws, so they need to be upfront and tell customers whether anyone else can intercept their information or remotely access their device,” Vines said.

– Games Fix, Privacy breach: Xbox One a ‘twisted nightmare’

According to Berlin’s federal data protection commissioner, Peter Schaar, the Xbox One is nothing more than a monitoring device under the guise of a gaming console.

“The Xbox One continuously records all sorts of personal information about me. My reaction rates, my learning or emotional states. These are then processed on an external server, and possibly even passed on to third parties. The fact that Microsoft could potentially spy on my living room is merely a twisted nightmare.”

Even if the Xbox One provides the option of turning off the camera and mic of the console, History shows that these options could easily be overridden remotely by any organization or creep with some technological capability. All of this ties in perfectly with my article entitled CIA Director: Web-Connected Devices in Your Home Make it Easy to Spy on You that quotes a CIA director openly stating that web connected devices are used to spy on citizens.

So, do I want to pay several hundred dollars to be constantly spied on?…Ummm…Let me think about it….mmmmNo.

416 Comments on "The New Xbox One Will be a “Monitoring Device Under the Guise of a Gaming Console”"

rumonbd2
8 months 11 days ago

People purchase these terribly high-ticket machines that spy on them. they really pay to be spied on! Why hassle to shop for this or the Samsung TV's that square measure rumored to conjointly spy on their users. individuals have to be compelled to boycott these physics and also the corporations creating them can stop! It extremely is that straightforward. corporations that lose cash not blink and concentrate to the requirements and desires of the customer!
smart android box

Merissa
1 year 5 months ago

Yes this is disturbing, once again people need to quit buying what they're selling out there and they can't win! But this won't happen, people are already in a trance… I have the Wii U, I only use it for exercising and I love it! My son mainly likes the lego's games. I've been looking and it seems they haven't been able to add their sick symbolism into those games yet, but I could be wrong! One symbol that is everywhere is in the lego marvel superheroes is the black and white eagle head with the V lines. Does this… Read more »

Andy
1 year 10 months ago

A bunch of slandering words to no doubt get people to not buy one. I suggest you get your facts correct before flapping your gums. The xbox one works without the kinect hooked up, it is an optional device that you can choose to not use.

Ken

This is why I am a PC gamer!!!

Scifi

"We aren't using Kinect to snoop on anybody at all," Microsoft Corporate Vice President Phil Harrison assured to Eurogamer.

Yeah right..

"We listen for the word 'Xbox on' and then switch on the machine, but we don't transmit personal data in any way, shape, or form that could be personally identifiable to you, unless you explicitly opt into that."

not suprised

Considering human history I'm VERY disturbed by this. I realize that phones and laptops already have these features and people seem to be way too comfortable with this stuff. People say its for advertising and stuff, but the bottom line is ANYONE could get your info at any time.

All I can say is imagine if Hitler would have had this kind of technology. That's not paranoia that's a fact.

J.R.

To those who say "unplug it…" I wouldnt be suprised if the powers that be have already planned for that. Seems easy for them to add a capacitor to the insides of the xbox. It could probably store power for up to 12 hours. So it would/could probably still intercept any information that is put out there…

Lucy

This was expexted. Why else do u all think they made an iPhone 5c & s…

Lucy

I seriously think this is obviously ridiculous !! We should be able to control what happens in our own home. Fuck the government this is crazy what's going to be next???!

Sam

Doesn't have to be connected every 24 hrs now you guys are so gullible who cares if they're watching us if they aren't hurting us why worry?

Magee Mae

darn…..now where did I put that old Atari?

RebelLioness

I think if you want to buy it just unplug it when your done playing it. the payperview per person talk is ridiculous though.

Spanky

Gamers have spoken and Microsoft has removed all that crap!

ForThePeople

There intentions were/are to monitor you or who ever purchases their system. Just because they say they will remove it. Doesn't mean they won't use it. microsoft never mentioned about disconnecting the kinect peripheral…. so one has to wonder.

Indi

This guy reviews the xbox one – not to happy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ekOtn7L1N0

Mike

Does anyone know what would happen if you cover the kinect with a towel or something? Also, looks like Microsoft just lost their ENTIRE pot smoking community.

Progress?

This is in fact a brilliant business move from Microsoft. However it is important to put this in context. The Kinect in itself can be used to enhance games and the entertainment experience, yet this iteration is not focused on that. Microsoft is trying to push the streaming/cloud-based future of entertainment, primarily so they are the first out of the gate and have the beach head so to speak. All these extra applications, features and "security concerns" are the proof of this. The thing is, it is not made for the consumer. This is made for the publishers of content… Read more »

tink

this is the most stupid system ever its so stupid why the fuck would they spy on you hmm let me see maybe cause there perverts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eva

stick cotton wool over the mic and paint over the camera

Btrayd

The Xbox logo is the same as the xmen symbol. It was also a symbol during Madonna's Super bowl show.
an x within a circle. This is recognized by Rex Church (Satanist) as being
the symbol of Satan. Seems apropos

m12

1984

sean

fucking illumanati shit right here. you need to have a camera on to play it lmfao

Leyla Timur

I have a shit laptop, a shit cellphone and no money for consoles.

I'M IMMUNE.

Callie

one of the same rofl..

Meh

I keep my Xbox 360 in my bedroom… Not sure if I'd ever feel comfortable in there if I get the Xbox One. Did Microsoft actually think a Kinect that is as sensitive as people are saying would go over that well? Especially with all the conspiracy theorist around now. Sigh… If I decide to get the Xbox One, I hope my Kinect likes the view of my wall. Think it'll have a breakdown if it can't read my heart rate and facial expressions? 😉

Jackie

Just to let you know, almost every gamer I've spoken to has been suspicious about this, and now Sony's in the head of the line to receive payment for their new system instead. Xbox failed.

nobody

why would anyone put a spybox into their house ? If you are not worried, wakeup.

Any information collected about anybody is useful to somebody.