iPhone 4 tracks users’ movements

iPhone tracker

iPhones 4 devices have been found to secretly track  their owners movements and to record them on the phone. This data can then be traced on a map. How come this “feature” was never divulged or advertised? More Big Brother tactics.

Apple iPhones and 3G iPads are secretly recording and storing details of all their owners’ movements, researchers claim.

Location data is kept in a hidden, unencrypted file according to security experts Alasdair Allan and Pete Warden.

With the right software, it can be used to map exactly where a person has been.

Apple has yet to comment on the revelation, however there in no suggestion that it has been uploading or using the information.

The findings, first reported by the Guardian newspaper, will come as a surprise to most iPhone users, as their devices do not give any visual indication that such data is being recorded.

However, although the practice is not explicitly flagged-up, it appears to be covered in the company’s terms of use.

“We may collect information such as occupation, language, zip code, area code, unique device identifier, location, and the time zone where an Apple product is used so that we can better understand customer behaviour and improve our products, services, and advertising”

Clearly intentional

Writing on the technology website O’Reilly Radar, Mr Allan and Mr Warden said they did not know why iPhones and iPads were collecting location information but it was “clearly intentional”.

The men claim that the facility to record users’ positions was added with the iOS4 software update, released in June 2010.

The data is also transferred to the owner’s computer and stored in a file there each time the two devices are connected to carry-out a backup or synchronisation.

Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at security firm Sophos, told BBC News that it was unlikely Apple planned to use the information for commercial purposes.

“I think there are some legitimate privacy concerns and people will probably look for a way of obscuring that data,” he said.

“But it is an object lesson about reading the terms and conditions,” he added.

– Source

152 Comments on "iPhone 4 tracks users’ movements"

Sierra

This is really crazy! They say that they won't use it for commercial purposes, shouldn't a light bulb come on in EVERYONE'S head asking them selves then what is the purpose of their being a tracker? Just like when you create an account online i even have the habit of just checking the terms of use without actually reading the terms and conditions. And it's a dog eat dog world they don't care about us!

BlackPower

A Boost Mobile is all I need. It's simple. Only an idiot would spend all that money on an iphone and then they make a new iphone every 3 months so you're never keeping up. Everyday technology speeds up faster and faster

Ra___

I have Facebook. I use it quite often. But every time they ask for my number, I just go to another site. Cause I have no phone.

But who's stupid enough to put their phone number on Facebook anyways?

…Oops, I didn't mean to call my sister stupid. (But she is, anyways)

Now, while my friends are happy having smartphones and that, I'm happy having an MP4, GameBoy Advance and my hundreds books. Although I am still a teen, I'd say kids these days need to rediscover the joys of reading. And books are cheaper than any smartphones.

ganja breath

damn hope they is not keeping tabs on my pager 🙁

Magda

Makes me question why I used to keep an online diary/blog, like livejournal.

How stupid…now anyone that can view that can see directly into my head.

I never used my real name or my location, but if they can link it back to you any way what does that matter?

Magda
It seems that the Government want us to be either one of two things: * dependent on them, which is why benefit scroungers are encouraged as are criminals. They are dependent on the government and on the system for money/housing. * hard working people who they can tax the hell out of I know this doesn't specifically have anything to do with the tracking device but heaven forbid if someone wants to make something of themselves LEGITIMATELY and LEGALLY. I just finished reading a book about what is down to our foods, everything from chicken to bananas to salad. I… Read more »
The truth is out the
Well. Vigilant citizen asks for your email address for you to comment on his articles. Everybody has terms & conditions. If you think using a landline is better think again. Your address is in the phonebook. Type someone's landline number in the white pages online & you can easily find their address. Same difference. It's about how we use the technology that counts. Instead of trying to avoid using the technology, use it to keep people informed about The Agenda like VC is doing. Instead of tweeting about mundane stuff let's use Fb & twitter to spread the truth. So… Read more »
shy

Why is it that this generation is all about tracking people down? Google tracks everything we do online. Thats how they come up with ads. Many new cars also have similar feature. Now all passports and driver's licenses will also have rfi chip. What is the use of all this?

Sierra

The point is for them to track us down so that when someone wise and smart makes a website like VC they can track them down. And also so that when they try to give us the chip it won't be a big deal to people because they technically already have taken many chips when they buy phones,computers etc….

Tiffany
It's more than just the phones guys. Your camera records the location of every picture you take, your subway card tracks your location. Your passport has an RFID in it. I have an iphone, it is indispensable to me. At the present I am moving for work just about every month all over the states and the world. I am driving from city to city, coast to coast. Some of these cities are dangerous, and I need the GPS, the ability to search for the nearest pharmacy, store, etc. When you are new to a dangerous place, having that measure… Read more »

thumbs up for not having an iphone no matter how cheap they get…woohoo

Kwan

And just another question while I'm at it. WHY?!?!?!?

Why track our movements and conversations and things?

Magda

You SHOULD be bringing children into the world; educated, enlightened children who can lead the way forward. Its people like you that SHOULD be reproducing!

Nutcase

It's about power. It's about control. They want to have an eye on us all, in case any of us decides to rise up against them. But it's mostly a matter of principle. They want to be our masters, make us their cattle.

Kwan

Ya, you're right… What a messed up world! It makes me sick. Makes me not want to bring children into this world.

At least we're not blind to it though. On the other hand there are millions of people just following

like sheep being led to the slaughter.

Kwan

Wow! What do we do here then because that just means that whatever we use, be it computer, phone, tv etc… its being tracked!!!!!!!!

Have to move to some rural place to escape all of this!

It's scary…

5 years 1 day ago

All mobile phones can be traced, it's the SIM Card that does the work. You may disable the location service on the iPhone to stop the monitor on your movements but as long as your sim card is with you, at just a click of a button the location of that sim card will appear…

wowzers
5 years 1 day ago
Verizon Wireless android phones also do this as well. They have the bing map apps and whether you turn it on or off you still can be tracked with your movements..very creepy i founf that out about a month ago when using mines. Now i know why they had that big a** red eye in the screen on the advertisements for the droid phones. They can see you or know where you are whether it be the double facing cameras or the GPS system for the map. I give it about 10 yeas before the elite openly show the,selves or… Read more »
sonata
5 years 1 day ago
Perhaps I AM paranoid; but this seems like the place if ever there was one to relate this. I bought a GPS device awhile back to help with night driving while traveling. I have never been a huge fan of them due to the whole tracking issue, as it is their complete and state purpose. But I capitulated, weighing that losing myself at midnight in a dark foreboding neighborhood was not on my priority list at this time. Maybe later. I've had a few problems with this device in the 1 1/2 years that I've owned it. Along with several… Read more »
david
5 years 1 day ago

For those wishing to "delete" facebook, you cannot.

However, before deleting, you may want to change all the data, delete all friends, and posts etc. The account will be saved as is when you "delete" it, and hopefully in future give them an erroneous view of who you are.

peace

wowzers
5 years 1 day ago

they still know what was there before..there is a database that will still save everything you do. It would just take longer for them to recover it if you happened to be of high interest to the government which we probably all are for being on this site.

Ministry of Truth
Yes all high technology devices make it easier for big brother to track you, follow your movements, and watch you have cereal in the morning. Thats why I never bought into any of this ''apple'' ''Steve jobs'' big brother, hyper city rubbish. Steve jobs in some peoples eyes is equivalent to a rapist or murderer. Hes definitely has blood on his hands. People should also know that whenever your workplace gives you any phone/laptop/Ipad etc to use that is embedded with tracking technology, many even have recording devices. Watch out because in this 21st century the battle is on who… Read more »

Wow! I don't like that one bit. Its no surprise companies make the excuse that they are using our info to gather to make and sell more products. The only thing is they receive our info which means we have no privacy. so many people are on this 'iphone/ipad/ipod kick so to feel good about having a 'quality product but the schemes behind it is devastating.

MariaHelFutura

can't they all be tracked technically? just saying!

MariaHelFutura

cell phones that is.

Yes, they can be tracked, and at all times. Probably the biggest issue with this is that it would seem that they're tracking us ALL THE TIME and are forcing us to keep the data on hand at all times. Like I said, FOR now it appears to be just there. But at some point soon (maybe even now…as I said, it APPEARS…) they'll use the tracking for advertising and will be allowed to hand it to the authorities when they ask for it. And don't be surprised if it becomes mandatory – already we've found out it's in Android… Read more »
Nutcase
5 years 1 day ago

Absolutely they can. This is false panic, created to make people think only IPhones are traceable.

MariaHelFutura

i agree, my friend.

Name (required)
new link relating to other pending patents by apple http://gawker.com/#!5795442/apple-patent-reveals-… utilizing and economizing location record. … But Apple's patent application makes it seem highly unlikely the location gathering is due to a bug. Indeed, the company outlines big plans for the troves of data it has quietly created. Apple includes an illustration of a mapping app called simply "Location History" which very much resembles the "iPhone Tracker" application expressly designed to raise alarm bells about all the data being collected (see figure 3A and 3B in the PDF embedded below, page 4-5). The patent also spells out how the location… Read more »
Name (required)
5 years 1 day ago
Argh

I hope they like my prawn selection and dirty texts. That's about all the net and phones are for me. If they want to follow me to the gentleman's club or adult toy stores, then the more the merrier. That's where my money's goes anyway. And to charitable organizations of course 🙂

butter me up like a

"this “exif” data was revealing GPS coordinates in their photos, and did not make clear to customers that in that case, this CAN be turned OFF."

There's a free program named JHEAD which will remove ALL exif data:

www (dot) sentex (dot) net/~mwandel/jhead/

Assuming you don't allow your DUMBphone to auto-upload your photos to websites.

what is truth?

buy a pre-paid, simple phone without a camera, with a removable battery. you only slip the battery in when you use the phone and remove it afterwards. avoid smartphones, stick with the simple phones with removable batteries.

a-Yah

They dont like it if we learn to much about their "Secret Society" so they try to anything they can to stop some one from spreading the information. The Apps probably have like a spy device to where the government can see into your to get a "better look" at surroundings.

beavis

Remote brainwave tracking coming soon, under the guise of entertainment.