Consuming Kids: The Commercialization of Childhood (video)

Here’s a great documentary describing how children are studied, dissected and manipulated by corporate entities using all kinds of underhanded methods. Very well produced and touches on many subjects described on Vigilant Citizen.

Consuming Kids throws desperately needed light on the practices of a relentless multi-billion dollar marketing machine that now sells kids and their parents everything from junk food and violent video games to bogus educational products and the family car. Drawing on the insights of health care professionals, children’s advocates, and industry insiders, the film focuses on the explosive growth of child marketing in the wake of deregulation, showing how youth marketers have used the latest advances in psychology, anthropology, and neuroscience to transform American children into one of the most powerful and profitable consumer demographics in the world. Consuming Kids pushes back against the wholesale commercialization of childhood, raising urgent questions about the ethics of children’s marketing and its impact on the health and well-being of kids.

101 Comments on "Consuming Kids: The Commercialization of Childhood (video)"

Free Your Mind
1 year 4 days ago

I couldn't watch the video,it's already been taken down, due to copyright laws claimed by "Media Education Foundation".
This is how the controllers are increasingly on the attack of the internet….freaking copyright laws!

Waterchild

uuuuh I can´t see it U_u

me

um EXCUSE ME!! Can you REPOST THE VIDEO?? When i hit PLAY it said that it has been DELETED DUE TO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT! can everyone press "like" so this gets some attention please??!!

Concerned Citizen

This is very sad. We are becoming depressed, bi-polar, and none attentive. We are killing the future generations. Very sad future.

ChiyoSuzaku

I just have to laugh at this. "he latest advances in psychology, anthropology, and neuroscience to transform American children into one of the most powerful and profitable consumer demographics in the world."? Really? Because after a basic course in Psychology and Video Productions I could make a convincing ad targeted at any audience. It's not hard, it's not rocket science, and if people in general had more common sense and self control to not give in to whims and impulses they wouldn't fall for it. The market is a gateway, people choose to walk through it.

CHolla
This is interesting but it makes me appreciate the fact that I had my own mind in a lot of ways when I was a child (yes even at 7 years old). I also think my mom nutured that because I didn't have every cartoon/kid marketed product that was shown in every commercial. When my mom shopped for my clothes, toys, etc, I wasn't with her in the aisles getting to pick out what I wanted. She didn't feed me all of the sugar-contained cereals no matter how much they were marketed, and regular products having cartoon characters on them… Read more »
biasCL♥&heart
I would have to say that this is very very true. i remember when i was little that mcDonald had the barbie toys when you buy a happy meal (i was a huge fan of barbie) and i remember just bugging and begging my mom to get it so i can have all the little barbie's and stuff hell i even remember wanting the bratz dolls, baby born etc. just because i seen it advertised on tv, even today this still happens to me (only for adult stuff)and I'm freaking 20 years old and i know i don't need it… Read more »

Endeavour to converse with your children, lest others who transgress and disobey get to them before you. (Imam Jafar Sadiq, peace be upon him)

Morgan
Powerful stuff there. I'm definitely more aware now that I have been. Although, it won't make me pull my child away from his favorite shows and movies, but I will limit his TV exposure. We don't have TV or cable in my household, so he only gets "movie time". It's time for parents to realize, toys, phones, computers, and gadgets will NOT teach your children more effectively that you. And if your children don't have those toys, it will NOT make them fall behind in school. Intelligence is partially gained by genetics and partially gained by experiences, and during active… Read more »
Donna

To those of you who say you're not having any kids, that means you're not going to have initmate relations with anyone, right? No? Oh, so you want to have your cake and eat it, too?

You want to be able to have sex with someone with no consequences or responsibilities. Huh, that's interesting.

Now you can begin to understand that the whole concept of consumerism and selfish have-to-have-it-now attitude permeates all facets of society, not just our kids and marketing. It goes much deeper.

VAC

Do over:

Love the part where the guy says these corporations are purposely making the lives of parents miserable. It sure does…

johnny

Just re-affirms my choice to not bring kids into this messed up world

Garrett

#1 Kill your Television

#2 Learn logic. Most community colleges should offer this

apollonia

This is just a theory but by ingraining materialism & fame obsession in the minds of the youth could the elite be prepping them to become adults that do not oppose or even worse, support the degradation/obliteration of the lower/middle (non-elite) class?

What is very unfortunate is that in order for a parent to protect their child from all of this the child must be deprived from most of the things they are told to like. The child inevitably will eventually become resentful of the parent.

Steve
You say that we are "artificially made complacent," then you say that we're neurotic because we don't accept personal responsibility. I agree that we are "co-creators" in our society, but the elites get more than one vote on us. No I don't think we've learned yet how bad it really is, and I don't think this will be over with for a long time to come. Someone will always want more than their fair share. I didn't read the whole thing; got other things to do. But I agree with you in most parts. Now, why I came back here:… Read more »
rinie

3:27-3:42 was actually from a condom commercial in Australia. LOL!

Veronica S.

dude i'm scared for my children

now i know to protect them even more than i already do

God Bless

Truth

For those wanting to know more about the effects of modern media on the soul, check out Little Light Studio's work:

– Hollywood’s Gnostic Gospel

– Magic Kingdom

– Battlefield Hollywood

– Battlefield Hollywood – False System of Worship

– The Home Hypnotist

– Artificial Atmosphere

Look for the videos on YouTube and Vimeo.

Louisa
I totally agree that something should be done, but come on, a lot of parents are very negligant! Throw away the television – or at least DON'T GET CABLE! I grew up with media all around and it had a reverse effect on me. I am always very suspicious of the intent behind every ad or brand, and I can't get convinced about every suggestion the corporations make – if I did I would go broke. There is something at the back of my head that says, if that company is spending their money on getting their message to me,… Read more »
Linqiust

Mistake "Will be the ones to go up" not "one of the ones" . The hope should be to go up during the rapture, NOT left behind. only to survive those, worse than ever imaginable, seven years. Btw, there's a movie called "Left behind" with Kirk Cameron, if anyone's interested.

Bob Marley

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Elizabeth
I am 25 years old mom of 2 boys. I was raised in Mexico in a middle income family, I remember in my childhood there was a stage where I wanted to be like other girls and have the famous Barbie's dolls, my parents sought ways to give me and my brothers what we asked for, and when opened Christmas presents I felt good to have received what I ask for but I honestly never played with these dolls, there was always TV commercial's that made me want toys but my parents were smart and they noticed that I never… Read more »
Syrus Magistus
I had a fairly magical childhood in spite of all this stuff. It must have been the low levels of peer pressure that come with pariah-hood. I never had more than a couple friends at a time. Ever. And I've never been popular, although just about everyone knew my name. I look back at old recordings of my favorite cartoon blocks and laugh at the cheap kind of hypnosis they used. One positive thing about advertising is that it showed me what everybody in my age group WANTED their lives to look like, and I feel connected to them in… Read more »
troy kokura

do not buy the stuff they are selling it's hard but doable

troy kokura

don't buy the stuff, be strong if you can't say no to a two year old how do you say no to a twelve year old

critzzz

totally agree, it becomes a monster if you don't set boundaries with your kids about what items are necessary and which are not, i work in retail part time so i see how these kids freak out when their moms say no, sometimes a bystander will even offer to buy the kid the toy or candy or w.e just so the kid shuts up, its seriously frightening.