CIA Director: Web-Connected Devices in Your Home Make it Easy to Spy on You

Mar 19th, 2012 | Category: Latest News | 87 comments

The Kinect is one of the many home devices that can potentially be used to spy on citizens.

New technologies are making the work of CIA Director David Petraeus a whole lot easier. According to him, the advent of wireless and web-connected devices has caused citizens to bug their own home, effectively allowing the spy agency to collect a wealth of information with great ease. If that wasn’t enough, people now readily share the most (in)significant details of their lives through Facebook, which now displays all of this information in a very convenient time-line.

Another concept that is brushed upon in this article is cloud computing. Touted as the next big thing in computer technology, cloud computing is about storing all of your data in “remote secure servers” – ultimately eliminating the need for computer hard drives and storage devices such as USB sticks. While this technology sounds very convenient, it is set to cause a drastic change in the world of computing: In just a few years, almost all of the personal files, pictures and data of computer users across the world will be stored in gigantic servers that will be owned by only a few mega-companies. Apple already has a system called iCloud that automatically copies the contents of iPhones and iPads (including pics, contacts, etc.) to a remote server. As Pertraeus himself says, all of this information is now “located, identified, monitored, and remotely controlled” by the CIA – and whoever else. Here’s an article about Petraeus love of new technologies from Wired.

CIA Chief: We’ll Spy on You Through Your Dishwasher

More and more personal and household devices are connecting to the internet, from your television to your car navigation systems to your light switches. CIA Director David Petraeus cannot wait to spy on you through them.

Earlier this month, Petraeus mused about the emergence of an “Internet of Things” — that is, wired devices — at a summit for In-Q-Tel, the CIA’s venture capital firm. “‘Transformational’ is an overused word, but I do believe it properly applies to these technologies,” Petraeus enthused, “particularly to their effect on clandestine tradecraft.”

All those new online devices are a treasure trove of data if you’re a “person of interest” to the spy community. Once upon a time, spies had to place a bug in your chandelier to hear your conversation. With the rise of the “smart home,” you’d be sending tagged, geolocated data that a spy agency can intercept in real time when you use the lighting app on your phone to adjust your living room’s ambiance.

“Items of interest will be located, identified, monitored, and remotely controlled through technologies such as radio-frequency identification, sensor networks, tiny embedded servers, and energy harvesters — all connected to the next-generation internet using abundant, low-cost, and high-power computing,” Petraeus said, “the latter now going to cloud computing, in many areas greater and greater supercomputing, and, ultimately, heading to quantum computing.”

Petraeus allowed that these household spy devices “change our notions of secrecy” and prompt a rethink of “our notions of identity and secrecy.” All of which is true — if convenient for a CIA director.

The CIA has a lot of legal restrictions against spying on American citizens. But collecting ambient geolocation data from devices is a grayer area, especially after the 2008 carve-outs to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. Hardware manufacturers, it turns out, store a trove of geolocation data; and some legislators have grown alarmed at how easy it is for the government to track you through your phone or PlayStation.

That’s not the only data exploit intriguing Petraeus. He’s interested in creating new online identities for his undercover spies — and sweeping away the “digital footprints” of agents who suddenly need to vanish.

“Proud parents document the arrival and growth of their future CIA officer in all forms of social media that the world can access for decades to come,” Petraeus observed. “Moreover, we have to figure out how to create the digital footprint for new identities for some officers.”

It’s hard to argue with that. Online cache is not a spy’s friend. But Petraeus has an inadvertent pal in Facebook.

Why? With the arrival of Timeline, Facebook made it super-easy to backdate your online history. Barack Obama, for instance, hasn’t been on Facebook since his birth in 1961. Creating new identities for CIA non-official cover operatives has arguably never been easier. Thank Zuck, spies. Thank Zuck.
- Source: Wired

Tags: ,

COMMENTS

Please note that the comments are moderated and that all spam, insults, proselytizing and hate speech will be removed.

87 Comments to “CIA Director: Web-Connected Devices in Your Home Make it Easy to Spy on You”

1. Zico says:

UnPLUG! and then go out to PLAY

• s says:

Well said!!!

• Budda says:

Stop using your Facebook account. Thats a GREAT start…for starters.

• Sarah Connor says:

Ha! One of my favorite songs right now…..GO OUTSIDE!

m.youtube.com/watch?v=N4mkbVBInOU

• I want the truth says:

Sarah, are you referring to the Cults song? :O

I wouldn't trust that group though. The Go Outside video creeped me out.

• Sarah Connor says:

@I want Truth. I simple click would answer your question. No. The Lonely Forest.

• Sarah Connor says:

This is the official video, not creepy, pure awesomeness and I'm sure many of you can relate.

youtube.com/watch?v=Iqizoud_NN0

Didn't your mama ever teach you, never assume? It makes an ass of u and me…..

2. I can totally believe it!!!

• THINK! says:

I can believe it too.

The NWO won't come into affect until all citizens are easily monitored, this way it will be easy to pin point and target the "odd ones out."

When it comes, and it will, I'll be ready. Thank you VC for giving me strength (and allowing me to share this important information with people who are open minded and willing)

I'd rather die than live in this sick world.

• freetoday says:

Thanks, yeah. I relate to you completely. I in many ways have been ready all my life. I can't avoid all the tech, but there are many ways to minimize. I have gotten now to where I encrypt most stuff. Funny, I am not encrypting this: I don't care:) Big Brother is way too strong if you attempt to fight him yourself by yourself. I always have choices and nothing beats quiet or writing. God wins. Elite loses:)

• nwNO! says:

I was thinking of how we hear of so many ways technology can be used by the 'authorities' to track citizens, but we only hear of isolated instances when it actually happens. Governments persuade us by use of hegalian dialectic to excuse the passing of rights voilating laws. Once they have placed all of their perverbial chess pieces, the laws and tech will be applied in full effect. First they must convince us that these things are OK and for our safety. I wonder why the German people thought it was a good idea to gas specific groups. Beacause they were filthy swine and useless cripples right? After all it is for the betterment of society as a whole isn't it? I fear how some people would answer in the world we live in right now.

• A Kid says:

I was reading a book of poems by Lesane Parish Crooks (Tupac). That was the second to last poem.

• A Kid says:

I swear, my entire family was happy when we started playing the Kinnect. I'll admit, so was I. But it got boring and on the first day my mother said, "this could be used to spy on us." I believed her, and now look–the CIA admits to it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have looked at us in our homes while we play games. They take pictures of us but you can't find them on the system. We have face recognition, but really–why should we? We're playing a game correct? Plus, we often have discussions about the government…and I look up a ton of information about the crooked ways of the world online. That's pretty much all I get on the Internet for. Reading and writing is my passion.

Hey, I bet my computer's tracked too.

I'm starting to understand this quote: "The Million Dollar question…When will there be World Peace? …When the World goes to pieces."

• Cinrad says:

“The Million Dollar question…When will there be World Peace? …When the World goes to pieces.”

Who said that?

• Billikatze says:

Now we KNOW its true, thanks to Edward Snowden

3. www user says:

www means 666

• buyti says:

how do you know?

• www user says:

search the www for answers – www is also this: WWW looks kinda like a serpent or snake maybe like you would see on a cave drawing. The serpent that wrapped itself around the world?

• Just saying says:

Tried to reply to www user but was no reply option. He/she said that www = 666. Every SKU on items purchased also has 666 in it, at the beginning, middle and end.

And, try typing in the word illuminati backwards with www. before it and .com after it. It brings you to NSA, National Security Agency. Now, WHY did the NSA choose that redirect url? Very weird.

Also if you want to understand the subliminals and symbols being used to place us in trance, go to http://www.illuminatimatrix.wordpress.com

• Jesus is king so we says:

@www user

So i just typed http://www.itanimulli.com and i got NSA website.

i thought you were joking.

this is just too much.

and i hope you all know that they know the world has woken up.

this is why the CIA chief finally announced they are spying on us.

as if they have the right to. they have to move fast brfore we stop them.

this means the cops will start enforcing marshal law

the cops wont say they are working for NSA

they are protecting the law but we know the truth.

• Becky says:

I thought you were joking as well…now I know the joke is on me.

• AuAgCu&Brass says:

Come on man? this is the Chicken Lil' crap that kills it for everyone. Do you have any idea how many red flags your post just stirred up? Now everyone that has commented on this page gets noticed too. Be an adult when speaking on adult topics. Of course they see everything. The Patriot Act made it all possible. You go on ahead and get em before they make their move. I like my job, and it pays well so I'll keep doing just that. I'll be almost anyones 100K/yr slave. I'll keep doing back breaking work in the AZ summer sun. Ultra rich doesn't mean happy. You ever notice how every President looks 20 yrs. older after 8 in office? Its a tough job. once a nation gets too big its almost impossible to fix the problems. Opposing Aggressors won't help anyone at this time. Read, sort, learn, and prepare your family for the roughest of times. Have fun, but realize that you can earn yourself a red sticker with just a few of the wrong words.

4. Dilla_Ali says:

That's why I always turn the Kinect to the other side which faces the neck of the TV. "Big Brother" just loves to spy. Perv.

• nwNO! says:

Good start with turning your Kinect around. Must remember to turn the mic off as well in the settings. Even better, just unplug the thing when your not using it to play games. For a while after getting Kinect I often used the voice command to navigate the 360 dashboard. It was new and cool but eventually lost its 'gimmick' effect. I started to feel like I was being just a bit too lazy. Now I use the old fashioned controller which still works just fine and probably a bit faster too.

My point is that technology can be/is used to spy on us. We can choose to opt out of this technology completely(not likely but possible), or choose to use it wisely and with personal discression. We certainly don't need to give the filthy spies any extra help.

• @NWNO!

You should allways plug out all electronic devices.

tv, sterio,games,phones,ipods.

Some spy on you and some listen to you then send the info

to a server in your neighbourhood which then send it to a remote computer

which is opperated by the spy agents. (This server must be the telephone poles.

which means the cell phone companies are in on it.)

They can turn on and off your computer by remote access.

they can censor you and delete things they can also tag your keystrokes so whenever you sigh on

any computer they will find you within minutes.

As for the Outside tracking devices they use; I was looking into Radio Rrequency Technology.

What if the radio waves that signals your phone are being used to track us?

The human body is electric just like our phones

Our brainwaves could be attracted to radio frequencies.

Or what if the actual Radio in your house could be programmed to do this.

However they do this i assure you it is cancerous to the human brain.

They dont want radio frequencies penetrating "their" brains

So why do it to others?

Another thing; if they can use radio frequency to track us

why is not possible to be used as a tool of mind controll?

5. EyesWideOpen says:

CIA are incredibly nosey people. Now, since I've typed the letters C-I-A does that mean you will now be spying on me?

6. Truth is says:

Who gave these people authority to spy on us? It sure wasn't GOD?!? No man is qualify to rule/reign over us!!

7. krista says:

OMG (Throws Kinect In The TRASH!!!) You cant have Sh** in this world without it being controlled by them….

8. SoldierOfTruth says:

Man i'm glad I don't live in America. They can't spy on my ass.

• Old Hippy says:

You don't have to be in the USA. Just connected to the internet.

• iCanSiClearly says:

@SolidierOfTruth,

you visited this site which is enough to track you down. If have a smartphone thats even worse. I'll stick to my "old-fashioned" cellphone with its limited capabilities.

• Just saying says:

In order to not be listened to via your cell sitting on the table next to you you have to remove the battery. Your contact list will not be lost.

• @icansiclearly

Do you notice they pay you lots of maney for your old phones nowadays?

lol! they will never get mine for a $million

They sure dont want them around no more.

bout "bring in your old phones and we'll pay you $150"

mmm!

I dont think so.

• Billikatz says:

Hhha of course they can.. And they do

9. my opinion says:

I don't understand how some people enjoy jumping around in their living room or anywhere inside their home. But we all have our own tastes.

I indeed prefer to go for a run OUTSIDE. I need a lot of space to move and air to breathe. I also want to look at things like trees and birds lol. Not walls and televisions, I find that reductive and redundant.

Spying and filming on people doing cartwheels in their living rooms should be illegal, everywhere. This whole tracking-spying-without-consent madness is becoming too much.

I am glad that I feel NO need to own any Apple products of any kind. They are just getting weird and annoying and useless with their iCloud, iSpy, iStalk, iSteal, iTrack, iEspionage shenanigans. Apple is the epitome of redundant.

• kayla123 says:

When I was little I always thought for some reason Teddy Bears "watched" me the way they always stare at you like directly at you and besides you guys do know television "Watches" you too right?It doesn't matter if its on or not T.V. watches you ((((O .O))))

• Muffin says:

This can't get any more freakier, can it? I hear from "older generations" that kids used to be outside all the time, playing, socialising, learning about nature…..now you hardly see any kids outside….what happened?

• Estefaniha says:

everybody is different.

if they weren't we wouldn't have all these video game consoles.

some people like them.

think about that.

• Ryan says:

Too many barb wire fences, no trespassing signs, do not enter.

10. MM says:

Big Brother's watching you,indeed.

11. Andrew says:

Just like the movie quote from Killer Elite " Anyone can be found these days."

12. strawberry123 says:

'SoldierOfTruth' wherever you live there will be some sort of modern technology spying on you, unless you live in a poverty stricken area which I'm assuming you don't if you have access to a computer and an education;

13. leelo says:

unplug indeed. Was walking in the neighborhood I grew up in the other day, kind of a poorer area than I live now. Some kids were throwing a football back and forth in the middle of the street, and another was teaching his friend how to flip a skateboard by practicing with an old plank of wood. Some other kids were kicking around a ball in their driveway.

You have no idea how happy I was to see that.

• Chucky W says:

Funny how it's the kids who are out playing and having a good time; but it's us adults who are stuck in the house on the internet. We're the ones who can't seem to give up the technology …

• Joanna. says:

leelo thanks so much for posting that. Your post gave me a smile that will last me a while, thanks again :D

14. idk... says:

Why is it so important what we are doing? Guess what CIA, we are living our lives just like you do when you punch out from work. Who is watching the fox who watches the hens? There is enough money sex drugs and lies on TV, so why watch or spy on someone. They think this stuff is funny but GOD knows and is watching them!

15. anonymousC says:

Ever read any of Robert Ludlam books when first published in the 70's? It was all spelled out in the "Bourne" series. How about the "X Files"? Welcome to their "reality" folks. What has been put down on paper, media &/or thought, is starting to manifest. Why? Everything in this universe is energetic and conscious, put those thoughts, ideas, etc, out there and it happens. Stop allowing them access to you or yours, take the plunge and recycle all those contraptions. Stop the "entitlement" and "need to have the latest things", they are after all only "things". Decide what is more important in your life, "things" or your freedom to be who you really are? Good article VC, keep the truth circulating.

16. turnkey says:

knew i could count on VC to post about this, thanks.

17. kaykay says:

must add to this topic that i bought my 2 children used older version nintendo ds's for christmas. was shocked to hear them arguing the other day about a game. im yelling at them "what game are you talking about?! you play your game and let her play her game!" my son says, "no mom. we are playing the a game ONLINE and she's mad b/c she lost".

i had no idea they even had that capability to connect online together on 2 separate handheld devices. that means they have wireless capabilities to be tracked and monitored etc. my son showed me how he's able to download games via wireless on his ds and wii. i was very disturbed and shocked. i had no idea all this time. game systems have evolved big time. they are not what they used to be

18. The Sentinal Speaks says:

We've been drawing attention to the fact that the Kinect might be used in this manner for quite some time. The data the Kinect is capable to collect is extremely valuable and will not remain untapped, especially with Micro$oft's focus on the FB/G00gle competition. I don't intend for this to come across as a shameless sales pitch, so I won't mention our product by name, but just to say that we will continue to make people aware of such implications and hold M$ feet to the fire in the process. Our message has been picked up by several major MSM outlets, Official Xbox Magazine, Engadget, etc. which generally mix it with the tired "tinfoil hat" cliche, but nevertheless are allowing people to engage in the conversation. Keep it up VC. All the best.

19. Truth says:

The NSA Is Building the Country’s Biggest Spy Center (Watch What You Say)!

A project of immense secrecy, it is the final piece in a complex puzzle assembled over the past decade. Its purpose: to intercept, decipher, analyze, and store vast swaths of the world’s communications as they zap down from satellites and zip through the underground and undersea cables of international, foreign, and domestic networks.

The heavily fortified $2 billion center should be up and running in September 2013.

Flowing through its servers and routers and stored in near-bottomless databases will be all forms of communication, including the complete contents of private emails, cell phone calls, and Google searches, as well as all sorts of personal data trails—parking receipts, travel itineraries, bookstore purchases, and other digital “pocket litter.”

It is, in some measure, the realization of the “total information awareness” program created during the first term of the Bush administration.

20. That person says:

Wow. More and more I'm disliking the world I live in. Back when I was growing up, there was so many kids outside playing, eating ice cream on the sidewalk, riding bikes, playing tag, kickball etc. and now? All I see in my town are mostly blues patrolling the streets we once played in :'(

21. Chucky W says:

All I can say is: you must be some KIND of sick, rotten pervert to wanna sit and spy on someone else. I wouldn't dare wanna spy on someone else, because I might end up seeing something I DON'T WANNA see, like someone wiping their butt in the bathroom; or some lady on her period, changing her tampon; or someone digging boogers out their nose and wiping it on their shirt. Oh, but I forgot: perverts like to see stuff like that. It turns them on sexually and gives them thrills to see people going about their daily lives, minding their own damn business, not giving ONE damn about them or their ridiculous spying. It takes a real NUT CASE to spy and get off on spying and I bet they do. Governmental spying on innocent people has become the new sexual pornography.

I hope they waste their time spying on me; what they'll catch me doing is reading the Word of God, where He explains to those who believe, His plan for complete destruction and annihilation of the spyers and their spying efforts. I hope they be sure to get a close-up of the smug smile that is always on my face when I'm reading the Word.

He's watching the watchers. Believe that.

22. Googling is fun! says:

“We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false.” — William Casey, CIA Director

Google:

¿ Operation RAFTER

¡ Project MINARET

¿ Project SHAMROCK

¡ Project ThinThread

¿ Project Trailblazer

¡ Project CHATTER

¿ Project MKDELTA

¡ Project MKNAOMI

¿ Project MKULTRA

¡ Project Blue Book

¿ aNd MoRe ¡

23. susan says:

i think that what the governments of the world will be looking for/at first are the subversive types – the kind of people who are wise to them and who are awake. they'll try to wipe us out first and then it's game on for everyone else.

24. "I'm all o says:

Written by Alphonse:

Microsoft Kinect Spy System

“So you just got the Kinect/Xbox360 gaming system and you’re having fun, hanging out in your underwear, plopped down in your favorite lounge chair, and playing games with your buddies. Yeah, it’s great to have a microphone and camera in your game system so you can “Kinect” to your pals while you play, but did you read that Terms of Service Agreement that came with your Kinect thingy? No? Here, let me point out an important part of that service agreement.

If you accept the agreement, you “expressly authorize and consent to us accessing or disclosing information about you, including the content of your communications, in order to: (a) comply with the law or respond to lawful requests or legal process; (b) protect the rights or property of Microsoft, our partners, or our customers, including the enforcement of our agreements or policies governing your use of the Service; or (c) act on a good faith belief that such access or disclosure is necessary to protect the personal safety of Microsoft employees, customers, or the public.”

Did you catch that? Here, let me print the important part in really big letters.

“If you accept the agreement, you expressly authorize and consent to us accessing or disclosing information about you, including the content of your communications… on a good faith belief that such access or disclosure is necessary to protect the personal safety of Microsoft employees, customers, or the public.”

OK, is that clear enough for ya? When you use the Kinect system, you agree to allow Microsoft (and any branch of law enforcement or government they care to share information with) to use your Kinect system to spy on you. Maybe run that facial recognition software to check you out, listen to your conversations, and keep track of who you are communicating with.

I know this is probably old news to some, but I thought I would mention it because it pertains to almost all of these home game systems that are interactive. You have to remember, the camera and microphone contained in your game system has the ability to be hacked by anyone the game company gives that ability to, and that includes government snoops and law enforcement agents.

Hey, it’s MICROSOFT. What did you expect?

And the same concerns apply to all interactive game systems. Just something to think about if you’re having a “Naked Wii party” or doing something illegal while you’re gaming with your buddies. Or maybe you say something suspicious and it triggers the DHS software to start tracking your every word. Hey, this is not paranoia. It’s spelled out for you, right there in that Service Agreement. Read it! Here’s one more part of the agreement you should be aware of.

“You should not expect any level of privacy concerning your use of the live communication features (for example, voice chat, video and communications in live-hosted gameplay sessions) offered through the Service.”

Did you catch it that time? YOU SHOULD NOT EXPECT ANY LEVEL OF PRIVACY concerning your voice chat and video features on your Kinect box.”

• AuAgCu&Brass says:

Thank you for spelling it out for those who were is such a hurry to get online and read these posts that they didnt have time to read what the agreed to. most people save up their money and can hardly wait for the next newest gadget to come out. Theyre just begging to give up their rights. Just to be entertained.

25. Simone says:

I think american people should make a great campaign against this procedure…

26. Everything is a Lie says:

All companies are connected to the illuminati whether they won't it or not, whether they know it or not.

So Everything will end soon.

27. God'sLuv says:

Before such tech developments comes to my country.Jesus would have arrived to kick the Elitists dirty butts…heheheh..Besides,all their plans in preparation for the One world Government,is a foolish waste of energy,bcus,when the era comes,it will only last for 3 years thereabout.hehehe,

• Just saying says:

It is the religious, of all denominations, that will have the biggest, rudest, most let-down awakening of all. Due to their utter shock of all they thought and believed not being true, they will truly be like deer staring into car headlights. Oh, the tangled webs They wove when at first they practiced to deceive…

Knowledge truly is power. It's hard to feel for those/anyone who takes anything at face value and doesn't investigate, especially when we're talking about a life long path of belief. Oh my god, indeed. How could they not research?!

Just about every single thing you think you know didn't come from you at all but from your mama, daddy, priest, teacher, peer, boss, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

What good is freedom when the only validation that one needs to know if something is really, truly, true is that someone else agrees with them or told them that it is so (when they themselves used the same approach for what they think they know and/or believe)?

I see "Wake Up!" written all over the internet – for years now. It's a kindly gesture, one soul to another reaching out trying to shake others out of their illusions or, at the very least, cause them to say, 'huh, what? what do you mean wake up?' At least that's a beginning.

• Rebecca says:

there are ways to have knowledge for yourself too. if you believe what you said, then what is the point? we are all just lemmings and who cares. that is ridiculous. people are valuable and they can find truth.

28. kl says:

Stalin would have been proud

29. Cobalt says:

Every time I go on the web, I stick a nude picture of Katie Price in front of my webcam.

That way, they know what I *want* them to know.

Of course, God forbid, I might be one of the few who don't look at pron or go on 'terrorist' websites and might – just might – be ordering my groceries online.

Privacy is far far more valuable than Gold and Platinum… cold hard truth even more so. :smile:

30. WTF!!!! says:

I don't believe in this.

D.

31. Renjamin says:

This is the article I have been looking forward to.

When I was a child, we had the first generation Nintendo. But, we would rather be outside playing. Riding bikes, playing basketball, walking through the yard.

I have twin 5 year old nephews. When they come over to visit, I try to keep the video games and hand held devices their mom sent with them stowed away. If they don't see them, they don't think about them. When they come over, we play outside and inside, but there is not much technology in my house. We don't have cable or any gaming systems. And they are satisfied.

I am not a mother yet, and, should I decide to become a mother, we will not have these items in my home. They are unnecessary and it seems like the more the kids play with these "toys" and stare at a TV screen, the less they listen to adults. I refuse to have disrespectful children in my home.

All of this is just getting ridiculous. Like I have said in a previous comment, I am not on Facebook, I do not have cable, no gaming systems and I have been seriously considering for some time now, getting rid of my cell phone. I remember the way things used to be and they weren't bad. I miss them.

• Joshua says:

Good points. I don't want tons of technology either. My dishwasher broke down and I haven't even bothered to buy a new one. I got rid of the cable, even when my decent landline phone device broke down I had it replaced with a 3 quid one lol. As to my mobile phone, I hardly ever charge it. My parents think I'm a bit odd when they visit me, especially my dad. Everything seems to be second-rate and he looks down on me. lol. I think we're on the same wavelength and I was afraid of being considered primitive and weird. Good there are other weirdos around.

• Renjamin says:

If that makes us weirdos, I am fine with that!

I don't get crazed every time a new device comes out and go spend my hard earned money. That is crazy. I don't have too many friends that do what I do. For the most part, they agree with what I have to say, but still they're out every time there is a new iPhone out, etc.

I just can't waste my money like that.

I have a now "old-fashion" DVD player and all ten seasons of Friends. I watch a bit of TV before bed, but I am not glued to it from the time I get home from work 'til the time I go to sleep.

• Rebecca says:

when you try to get rid of those things, just be prepared for your friends to say: oh you didn't know about my birthday party? I sent out an invitation on facebook. your mom will say I tried to call you on your cell but you never answer. People will avoid calling you at home because they would rather send a text. I'm just saying, it will get lonely.

32. kaykay says:

ill be getting rid of cable as well. first off, we dont watch it. nothings on tv but those blasted reality shows. second, you know they only offer satellites stuck to the side of your home and/or those digital boxes located in all your rooms. spying spying spying big brother cant get enough. time is winding down. wont be long before all the masks come off and i pray to GOD, who is our only hope, that i wont be here to see this big brother/nwo system take over full blown

33. tj says:

How many techno devices can we create to kill all the brain cells……..

Keep em' busy the mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Lets isolate them in tiny little boxes all by themselves.

Don't say a word keep your mouth shout and click away…

Don't go outside..be very afraid very afraid.

Wait…

lets surround the hous and round up.

To the detention camp we.

Stand in line and get your i.d. chips here.

there was no where to go

we saw your every move

we had our eye on you.

• Rebecca says:

technology can be good, too. we are all using it to get to this website for example. just like anything else, it can be corrupted.

34. lucy says:

while i was reading this, the alarm went off at the airport, ATTENTION ATTENTION while the lights were flashing….

35. LoverofGod says:

Maybe we rely too much on those silly gadgets to be happy and God will allow this so we can draw close to him like older times!….it may do us and our relationships some good!…oh gosh I suppose ull just Die without cable won't ya?…..NOT!

36. Nietrick says:

We are well and truly living in the Matrix now. The media shows us the pretty pictures they want us to see and that becomes the reality that people believe. Meanwhile Facebook, video games, the internet, and television provide the distraction that is also the noose around our throats. It's sick and terrifying and would be hilarious if it wasn't so mind numbingly frightening.

I could brag that I saw this danger from the minute I heard about each and every one of these devices, but so what? It hasn't stopped it. Hell, most of you probably felt the same way. Afterall, we're here already. I wouldn't even care that these idiots are willing to sell their souls for complacent security if I could just opt out. But it always comes back to that, I suppose. Mob rules and those who dissent are either spat upon or steamrolled. Or both.

If Paul Revere made his midnight ride tonight he'd be met with sleepy yawns from people who were too busy writing status updates to care.

37. INSOMNIAC says:

this is just driving me mad now, I'm suicidal, it's like when the fuck is it going to happen? I'd rather it be over with ):

38. generationX says:

that front camera on your iphone is not for face talk it was put there for reason so when ever you are on your phone they can turn it on and watch you and what you are looking for on it .duck tape your laptop camera also.

39. Becky says:

Speaking of losing out privacy, have you noticed the new commercials for Comcast home monitoring services? Now THAT scares me as well, just what I need is my cable company having (more) access to my "personal security". I am closer and closer to unplugging but just can't seem to break off the relationship…I mean, that's where all my friends are now days, right? No ones hangs out anymore, we all play Words With Friends online instead of Scrabble in person…right?

• Joshua says:

You're right. We've become addicts, haven't we? Without the internet we can't function.. we just think to connect for a max 1 hour and we end up browsing for hours no end. When we are out instead of talking, we mess around with our mobile phones. That's an activity I resisted so far, the mobile phone fiddling.

40. Well a lot of people are now worried about tracking, privacy, the government spying on you, etc and all of that. But what is the whole point of being worried about that when you are just a normal citizen doing your daily chores and enjoyin life. What does it gain for the Government to spy on you when you have done nothing wrong alll your info on the web out there is not gonna help the Government in anyway if you are not a suspect or even if they do spy on you, you are clean and theres nothing to worry about.

Now dont suspect me being with the Government side, am just a normal 17 year old kid.

• Rebecca says:

the thing that you are doing that they think is wrong is having the wrong thoughts. they want you in a state to do whatever they tell you. they are looking for signs of independent thought or resistance. that is what makes it so scary!

41. Ethernet cables FTW!!!

42. Omen says:

"The CIA has a lot of legal restrictions against spying on American citizens."

I must admit I lol'd.