#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Overuse of love as demeaning to the word

09-04-2015, 10:14 PM #1
sarcasm
Marshall
There is nothing wrong with telling those you love, i love you with any frequency.

But to me it looks like love is being overused in entertainment, songs especially and hearing it constantly from artists in music-artists whom we do not know, nor love in a real sense- is a soft desensitization to the word and makes it that much less special. The value might be 1 cent, instead 1 million in money terms, devaluation takes place.

A linguistic agenda, not to mention we may be hearing love in a music video and seeing abuse at the same time.
This post was last modified: 09-04-2015, 10:15 PM by sarcasm.
The following 8 users Like sarcasm's post:
  • Dez, MissMiami, Thy Unveiling, Annonymous Damsel, anne, meltbanana, cameronjcw, Alice

09-04-2015, 10:36 PM #2
sPEktrall
Chaplain
Today people have mistaken love for romance it seems.  Not only that, but tolerance of everything.

Prov 15:7 The lips of the wise disperse knowledge: but the heart of the foolish doeth not so.
The following 2 users Like sPEktrall's post:
  • cameronjcw, Smooch

09-05-2015, 12:23 AM #3
cameronjcw
Justiciar
true, its a figure of speech used all too often these days, do it myself when talking about food lol or weed but its not a thing I use flippantly to just anybody, its not an easy thing to say sometimes but you are right it is used so meaninglessly these days in the media, ironically in many places where love is the furthest thing that is happening! :|
The following 1 user Likes cameronjcw's post:
  • Thy Unveiling

09-05-2015, 02:07 AM #4
anne
Justiciar
I remember watching a movie in which the girl kisses the guy passionately and says "I Love you" and then shoots him 2 seconds later.
Now that's love.
This post was last modified: 09-05-2015, 02:07 AM by anne.
The following 1 user Likes anne's post:
  • MaryJane

09-05-2015, 04:14 AM #5
meltbanana
Chaplain
love cannot be 'learned' or somehow be 'forced' or 'manually enabled'. unless of course you are God. however the illusion of love exists. to many it feels like the real thing. but thanks to God I am a dad and thus I know the difference based on first hand experience. furthermore and pretty obviously it's not love as soon as divorce papers are being signed or when human beings are being tortured and murdered for them not wanting to be part of a certain religion (and this is probably happening day after day after day). and it's also not a sodomite's exclusive deception but any man's or woman's for when it is believed that love and sex are allegedly mutually dependent. for a woman to love a woman or a man loving another man there is nothing wrong at all. it's quite the contrary as a matter of fact. but sex is sex is love is love and sex is not love. which probably explains why I and many others never felt the urge to have sex with a relative or why I never thought about inserting my penis into a single package of microwave butter popcorn. ever. this is my first time right now. and ask my girlfriend because she definitely knows I definitely love that microwave butter popcorn. giving it another thought maybe I'm also just the victim of the great deception and it's not even actual love but the illusion of it which would then probably enable myself to 'marry' it in a not too distant future. and I can already read the headline right now 'man sues Monsanto for $666.666 - Monsanto GMO kernels ruined both his life and penis'.
The following 1 user Likes meltbanana's post:
  • Thy Unveiling

09-05-2015, 10:01 AM #6
Thy Unveiling
Chaplain
Well, Banana, the butter would definitely be a lubricant to a degree...just make sure its not fresh out the microwave and still steaming, cuz i imagine that wouldn't feel too nice. Not to mention there's all those pesky kernels, which may add unwanted friction. I'd advise against popcorn sex, tbh. Sometimes food can be as satisfying as sex (we've all been there) but I wouldn't imagine it to be a good replacement (nor am I about to test the theory)

Anyway. Good luck with the popcorn! You mentioned it in another thread too, so I'm kinda wondering how that went Tongue clearly I need a more interesting life. Trying to keep my kid from eating cat food isn't that exciting haha
The following 2 users Like Thy Unveiling's post:
  • cameronjcw, meltbanana

09-05-2015, 10:49 AM #7
Annonymous Damsel
Marshall
Not only in the entertainment industry but in general,people do not know the real meaning of Love.Its been misused too many times. :-(
The following 3 users Like Annonymous Damsel's post:
  • MaryJane, meltbanana, Thy Unveiling

09-05-2015, 10:00 PM #8
meltbanana
Chaplain
(09-05-2015, 10:01 AM)Thy Unveiling Wrote:  Well, Banana, the butter would definitely be a lubricant to a degree...just make sure its not fresh out the microwave and still steaming, cuz i imagine that wouldn't feel too nice. Not to mention there's all those pesky kernels, which may add unwanted friction. I'd advise against popcorn sex, tbh. Sometimes food can be as satisfying as sex (we've all been there) but I wouldn't imagine it to be a good replacement (nor am I about to test the theory)

Anyway. Good luck with the popcorn! You mentioned it in another thread too, so I'm kinda wondering how that went Tongue clearly I need a more interesting life. Trying to keep my kid from eating cat food isn't that exciting haha

hehe thank you ThyU, I did write that other comment after this one though and you know how even the creme of directors are creating sequels now and then. and I'm afraid of my sanity not being what it used to be but no worries I'm definitely pro butter popcorn and I would never hurt its feelings like that. -_^ and speaking of life and its features 'life's a bitch and then you die' comes to mind. by now I know that even though I'd probably still not deny some sort of factual kernel in that statement it is definitely not actually true and even way less relevant if you were lucky enough to receive one of the most awesome gifts of them all, your child. and by definition, 'interesting' is solely up to you. you must (or can) decide which is which and this also includes you asking yourself if it's even interesting to show any interest regarding whether anything is actually interesting or not to begin with. because truth itself defines a lot of stuff as being way more important than stuff of personal interest so I would try to not put too much weight on it. unless of course wanting to help others without expecting anything in return is a general example of what's interesting to you based on your own personal definition by your free choice which is nobody else's business but yours exclusively. 

plus - your child showing potential interest in cat food reminds me of a time when my oldest son refuted to eat anything but chicken nuggets, french fries and - wait here it comes - sheep feta. and as mysteriously as that feta demand may sound I don't think McD's nuggets are even anywhere near matching the quality or value of many cat foods out there. basically I simply pretty much eat whatever I like to eat except for anything with a price-value ratio set by someone obviously greedy.
  • Thy Unveiling

09-05-2015, 10:21 PM #9
Scimitar
Grand Commander
With only one word to describe the emotion, what can one expect - I think the "Love" word in English is soooo lame.

In Arabic, there are over 60 variants for the word - dependent on the type of "love" being described... for example, the love of a mother is different to the love of a wife - or - say, I love apples, but I also love to grow apples... that word, LOVE, is gonna be heck overused.

In Arabic though - it just beautifies the emotive intent perfectly.

Scimi

Out beyond ideas
of wrong-doing,

and right-doing,

there is a field...

...I'll meet you there.
€

Jalaluddin Rumi
The following 2 users Like Scimitar's post:
  • MaryJane, Thy Unveiling

09-05-2015, 10:38 PM #10
meltbanana
Chaplain
(09-05-2015, 10:21 PM)Scimitar Wrote:  With only one word to describe the emotion, what can one expect - I think the "Love" word in English is soooo lame.

In Arabic, there are over 60 variants for the word - dependent on the type of "love" being described... for example, the love of a mother is different to the love of a wife - or - say, I love apples, but I also love to grow apples... that word, LOVE, is gonna be heck overused.

In Arabic though - it just beautifies the emotive intent perfectly.

Scimi

conclusion: in arabic, there are more than over 60 false definitions of 'love' to choose from. similiar to the 'variety' of products at McDonald's or the amount of different ways to torture someone.
  • Thy Unveiling