#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Assistance with fasting-Christians and Muslims

09-04-2015, 12:49 PM #1
Annonymous Damsel
Marshall
I used to think that fasting for Christians was only done during Lent and for Muslims its done during EID.So basically I want to fast but how do I go about fasting because i have never done it before.How many hours shouldn't i eat for and when do i break my fast?When should i pray?how many days should i fast for?Help!! Huh
The following 4 users Like Annonymous Damsel's post:
  • Scimitar, The Creeper, Yahda, Tarikko

09-04-2015, 12:56 PM #2
khadeejah
Chaplain
(09-04-2015, 12:49 PM)Annonymous Damsel Wrote:  I used to think that fasting  for Christians was only done during Lent and for Muslims its done during EID.So basically I want to fast but how do I go about fasting because i have never done it before.How many hours shouldn't i eat for and when do i break my fast?When should i pray?how many days should i fast for?Help!! Huh

Hi AD -

If you aren't a Muslim then it is not upon you to fast like a Muslim.  if you want to become a Muslim first, then let me know and I'll tell you how.  After that you can learn about how Muslims fast, it is different than how Christians fast.  Anyways the month of fasting (Ramadhaan) is over so any fasts a Muslim does now would be considered supererogatory.

The following 2 users Like khadeejah's post:
  • The Creeper, Annonymous Damsel

09-04-2015, 01:20 PM #3
Tarikko
Chaplain
Well I say you can try Muslim fasting whether you are Muslim or not.

The benefits of Ramadan fasting are too many to list. We fast from dawn till dusk..

From sunrise till sunset everyday for a month. We get a window of time to eat from when the sunsets (Maghreb) till Sunrise (fajr)

This differs from country to country... Last year we were breaking our fast here in Lebanon at 8pm.. In England that time was around 9:30 pm... Loooooong day

I used to do it when I lived there and watch my kids eat pizza express and feed them Big Grin

Now the day is shorter as winter is drawing closer. Try it and see how it goes..

Detox wise, nothing can beat fasting... Specially Muslim fasting. A whole month to cleanse your body and boost your immune system.

Fasting is not only towards food... One must restrain from anger and anything bad.... True he should abstain from all of this throughout the year.. But still during Ramadan people fasting become agitated easily and fussy.. Hence why we must exercise more self control and patience and spend our time in prayer and reading Quran..

Anyhow you can try the fasting from food and see how it goes.

“The lies (Western slander) which well-meaning zeal has heaped round this man (Muhammad) are disgraceful to ourselves only.”

― Thomas Carlyle, On Heroes, Hero Worship and the Heroic in History

The following 3 users Like Tarikko's post:
  • celle76, The Creeper, Goku

09-04-2015, 01:54 PM #4
Annonymous Damsel
Marshall
(09-04-2015, 01:20 PM)Tarikko Wrote:  Well I say you can try Muslim fasting whether you are Muslim or not.

The benefits of Ramadan fasting are too many to list. We fast from dawn till dusk..

From sunrise till sunset everyday for a month. We get a window of time to eat from when the sunsets (Maghreb) till Sunrise (fajr)

This differs from country to country... Last year we were breaking our fast here in Lebanon at 8pm.. In England that time was around 9:30 pm... Loooooong day

I used to do it when I lived there and watch my kids eat pizza express and feed them Big Grin

Now the day is shorter as winter is drawing closer. Try it and see how it goes..

Detox wise, nothing can beat fasting... Specially Muslim fasting. A whole month to cleanse your body and boost your immune system.

Fasting is not only towards food... One must restrain from anger and anything bad.... True he should abstain from all of this throughout the year.. But still during Ramadan people fasting become agitated easily and fussy.. Hence why we must exercise more self control and patience and spend our time in prayer and reading Quran..

Anyhow you can try the fasting from food and see how it goes.

I wanna start tomorrow.i wanna fast from food and from anger.So basically i will not have breakfast and lunch?
The following 1 user Likes Annonymous Damsel's post:
  • Tarikko

09-04-2015, 01:55 PM #5
Vytas
Justiciar
I usually fast three days when my work schedule is compatible with it. Usually I drink only juice, no food, and limit my physical activity, and I don't tell anyone about it, its better this way. I didn't read much about before trying, but this simple guide was good enough for me... http://www.cru.org/train-and-grow/devoti...ing.1.html

Truth is precious it's guarded by God
The following 1 user Likes Vytas's post:
  • The Creeper

09-04-2015, 02:06 PM #6
Annonymous Damsel
Marshall
(09-04-2015, 01:55 PM)Vytas Wrote:  I usually fast three days when my work schedule is compatible with it. Usually I drink only juice, no food, and limit my physical activity, and I don't tell anyone about it, its better this way. I didn't read much about before trying, but this simple guide was good enough for me... http://www.cru.org/train-and-grow/devoti...ing.1.html

I am currently on Annual leave from work so since i am at home,i wanna use this time to fast and pray a lot more.I wanna take my mind off negative things.It is difficult to fast when i am at work as there is a lot of negative energy,negative people and most of the time those idiots make me angry Angry
The following 1 user Likes Annonymous Damsel's post:
  • Thy Unveiling

09-04-2015, 02:08 PM #7
Axiom
Marshall
(09-04-2015, 12:49 PM)Annonymous Damsel Wrote:  I used to think that fasting  for Christians was only done during Lent and for Muslims its done during EID.So basically I want to fast but how do I go about fasting because i have never done it before.How many hours shouldn't i eat for and when do i break my fast?When should i pray?how many days should i fast for?Help!! Huh

May I ask why you're inclined to fast? Fasting is not limited to abstaining from food but all indulgences though fasting from food is a good place to start. There are no specific rules as to how much you should or shouldn't eat but the aim of fasting is self-control, if you can fast completely then do it, but if not just abstain from something you feel you eat too much of especially if it's not entirely healthy.

In the Christian tradition we fast from animal products and oil on Wednesdays and Fridays, a very ancient document called the "Didache" (Teaching) has this to say, "But as for your fasts, let them not be with the hypocrites, for they fast on the second and fifth days of the week, but do ye fast on the fourth and sixth days." As regards prayer, it goes on to say "Neither pray ye as the hypocrites, but as the Lord hath commanded in his gospel so pray ye: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done as in heaven so on earth. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debt, as we also forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil: for thine is the power, and the glory, for ever. Thrice a day pray ye in this fashion."

However, as khadeejah has stated, religious fasting guidelines don't necessarily apply if you aren't resolved on a religion at all so fasting would just be relegated to eating less than you normally would.
The following 1 user Likes Axiom's post:
  • The Creeper

09-04-2015, 02:09 PM #8
Hex
Wanderer
There are many types of fasts, depending on whether you're doing this for health or 'religious' reasons. The answers will vary depending on this factor. You can have a juice fast, water fast, total abstinence, 500 calorie fast, etc.

Generally if you're looking to fast for health and mindfulness I would advise a water fast. Times will vary depending on what you can handle, but typically it's morning till evening, with a light snack and meal at the end. I don't particularly advocate avoiding water as dehydration is not advised. If you do feel light headed, dizzy, with a weird sort of 'high' than that would be ketosis kicking in, in which case 'break' the fast with a high carbohydrate/sugar snack (a banana usually does the trick).

"We check and repress the divinity that stirs within us, to fall down and worship the divinity that is dead without us."
--  Henry David Thoreau, 1851

My Site: www.intelligentinfinity.net

The following 3 users Like Hex's post:
  • Vytas, Thy Unveiling, The Creeper

09-04-2015, 02:42 PM #9
FlixKandish
Chaplain
This isn't Christian or Muslim more Vedantic but just another idea if you're into that kinda stuff...

I used to fast one day a week, to pay homage to the celestial body I was born under. It's to bring luck to you through your birth planet. Generally I would only drink coffee and water all day, then at sunset eat some type of dinner.
The following 3 users Like FlixKandish's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, The Creeper, Annonymous Damsel

09-04-2015, 04:43 PM #10
sPEktrall
Chaplain
Derek Prince videos are great.

Prov 15:7 The lips of the wise disperse knowledge: but the heart of the foolish doeth not so.