#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
What if God Got Bored

09-03-2015, 03:03 AM #1
Hex
Wanderer
What if God Got Bored - Alan Watts

Sauce

"We check and repress the divinity that stirs within us, to fall down and worship the divinity that is dead without us."
--  Henry David Thoreau, 1851

My Site: www.intelligentinfinity.net

The following 3 users Like Hex's post:
  • Goku, The Creeper, Todd

09-03-2015, 03:16 AM #2
Todd
Chaplain
Interesting contemplation......

I don't necessarily agree with the premise that we are all God, but I do believe that in the ages to come, we will remember this lifetime as dream.

James 4:14 who do not know the thing of the morrow; for what is your life? for it is a vapour that is appearing for a little, and then is vanishing

Then shall the king say to those on his right hand, Come ye, the blessed of my Father, inherit the reign that hath been prepared for you from the foundation of the world;

And the king answering, shall say to them, Verily I say to you, Inasmuch as ye did to one of these my brethren -- the least -- to me ye did
The following 4 users Like Todd's post:
  • Scimitar, The Creeper, Hex, Tarikko

09-03-2015, 02:06 PM #3
The Creeper
Chaplain
The title of this thread is often what I have thought about why God created His creation...

Of course I don't really know why it was made. I feel that our knowledge of existance is vastly limited by our current, temporary material forms and we may never know the answers in this lifetime, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth trying to figure out.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool – William Shakespear
The following 4 users Like The Creeper's post:
  • Trenton, Goku, Thy Unveiling, Hex

09-06-2015, 01:55 PM #4
Vulpes.rex
Knight
This reminds me of my second grade Sunday school class. One of the kids raised his hand and asked, "Why did God create the world? Was he bored? If he was bored how come he didn't play checkers with the angels?"

Wisdom from the mouths of babies. Big Grin

----------------------------------------------------
"Never let life kill your spark." 
Crown the Empire 
The following 2 users Like Vulpes.rex's post:
  • The Creeper, Thy Unveiling

09-08-2015, 06:17 PM #5
Dixie
Peasant
I think Alan Watts smoked some bad ganja when he aligned himself with those ideas of Theosophy - that you are the god of yourself, that God didn't perfectly design you for His purpose and not your own, blah, blah, blah. One of the reasons we have such rampant crime and social problems is because of this self-centered selfishness that the media and atheists love to promote. If you actually got out of your own way, and allowed God to be first in your life, you wouldn't be so consumed with the what-ifs of life. You'd KNOW.
The following 9 users Like Dixie's post:
  • The Creeper, Kung Fu, meltbanana, Tarikko, Elf, Thy Unveiling, Vytas, Trenton, Scimitar

09-08-2015, 06:21 PM #6
Scimitar
Grand Commander
Wow, impressed with that post Dixie.

Scimi

Out beyond ideas
of wrong-doing,

and right-doing,

there is a field...

...I'll meet you there.
€

Jalaluddin Rumi
The following 2 users Like Scimitar's post:
  • The Creeper, Tarikko

09-08-2015, 06:37 PM #7
celle76
Justiciar
Smells like pantheism...the OP.
The following 2 users Like celle76's post:
  • The Creeper, Tarikko

09-08-2015, 08:40 PM #8
Thy Unveiling
Chaplain
No idea what you're talking about there, Celle Sad

09-09-2015, 12:56 AM #9
FlixKandish
Chaplain
(09-08-2015, 08:40 PM)Thy Unveiling Wrote:  No idea what you're talking about there, Celle Sad

Pantheism is the belief that nature equals god.
The following 2 users Like FlixKandish's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, The Creeper

09-09-2015, 07:57 AM #10
Hex
Wanderer
(09-08-2015, 06:17 PM)Dixie Wrote:  I think Alan Watts smoked some bad ganja when he aligned himself with those ideas of Theosophy
Oh, an ad hominem attack. How very thoughtful of you.

Any justification as to why you think Alan Watts is a pothead, or was smashed when aligning with such ideas? That might be more productive instead of aimlessly attacking an individual out of personal bias.

Also, it isn't theosophy. Alan tends to incorporate more of Zen Buddhism than anything else.

Quote:that you are the god of yourself, that God didn't perfectly design you for His purpose and not your own, blah, blah, blah.
Was there a point you were attempting to make here? I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the OP.

Perhaps if you addressed the idea we could have a productive conversation.

Quote:One of the reasons we have such rampant crime and social problems is because of this self-centered selfishness that the media and atheists love to promote.
You're misunderstanding the whole concept due to your own personal conceptions regarding the innate nature of the Human. The problems within society are due to sole identification with the Ego Identity and the belief in separation of Self to self.

What 'self-centered selfishness' was prompted in the video excerpt? If you actually looked into what he says in other talks he only ever promotes Love for one another.

Quote:If you actually got out of your own way, and allowed God to be first in your life, you wouldn't be so consumed with the what-ifs of life. You'd KNOW.
No thank you. I'm not arrogant enough to think I know it all. Progress in all areas of society has only ever been made when the individuals asked the question "what if?", and exploring new possibilities, which eventually resulted in advancement. But hey, feel free to promote ignorance and to be static in your understanding if it's an intellectual and emotional convenience for you. One can never grow and expand once they believe they know all there is to know.

Honestly, I'm quite surprised anyone agreed with what you wrote.

"We check and repress the divinity that stirs within us, to fall down and worship the divinity that is dead without us."
--  Henry David Thoreau, 1851

My Site: www.intelligentinfinity.net

The following 3 users Like Hex's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, The Creeper, Goku