#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Superiority complex in the "truth movement"

06-01-2015, 11:44 PM #1
Spazarus
Knight
We complain when people with a more traditional world view call us "tin foil hate wearing conspiracy theorists" -- but are we any better?

We throw around terms like "sheeple", "slaves" and "shills", and make assertions the masses are "asleep", "mind controlled", or simply deluded. What purpose does it serve if it is not to make ourselves feel superior or special?

It bothers me that in some ways, this superiority complex seems to be part of the attraction of the "truth movement". We get to be part of this secret club of people who are "in the know", and can put ourselves above the brainwashed masses -- but, at the end of the day, isn't this the same elitist mindset we are supposedly fighting against?

Even if we're 100% right, and the world is tainted by an dark and ever-present elite agenda, does that not make those who are unaware victims of that agenda, and worthy of our sympathy?

Is anyone else bothered by this as I am?

Funny movie reviews that expose the establishment: Popcorn Lobotomy

06-02-2015, 04:17 AM #2
SabethaPenguin
Marshall
(06-01-2015, 11:44 PM)Spazarus Wrote:  We complain when people with a more traditional world view call us "tin foil hate wearing conspiracy theorists" -- but are we any better?

We throw around terms like "sheeple", "slaves" and "shills", and make assertions the masses are "asleep", "mind controlled", or simply deluded. What purpose does it serve if it is not to make ourselves feel superior or special?

It bothers me that in some ways, this superiority complex seems to be part of the attraction of the "truth movement". We get to be part of this secret club of people who are "in the know", and can put ourselves above the brainwashed masses -- but, at the end of the day, isn't this the same elitist mindset we are supposedly fighting against?

Even if we're 100% right, and the world is tainted by an dark and ever-present elite agenda, does that not make those who are unaware victims of that agenda, and worthy of our sympathy?

I feel like a sheep myself a lot. The only time I truly get frustrated is when people are being plain ignorant. I still have lots to learn and indeed, we're all victims in a way.
This post was last modified: 06-02-2015, 05:27 AM by SabethaPenguin.

“The world outside had its own rules, and those rules were not human.”

06-02-2015, 09:13 AM #3
RiderOfKarma
Marshall
(06-01-2015, 11:44 PM)Spazarus Wrote:  We complain when people with a more traditional world view call us "tin foil hate wearing conspiracy theorists" -- but are we any better?

Absolutely. I used to think it was the influx of teenage boys on the internet taking an interest, but sadly found they were actually grown ups.

06-02-2015, 09:28 AM #4
cameronjcw
Justiciar

I think its part of our human nature to enjoy a feeling of superiority over others whether it be because you are part of an elite group or part of some rebel outsider type group.

Maybe its just natural instinct to enjoy feeling like this although at least recognising this in ourselves perhaps makes us more likely to stop and think before we judge other people.

I suppose not everybody enjoys that kind of feeling or maybe we do just to different degrees maybe those that recognise it in themselves at least can stop and examine their behaviour and realize that we arent really that special or better than others.

I think though if you are like that and have been like that for a while then it would be harder to get out of that cycle maybe because of the pleasure you receive in your brain from the feeling you get from seeing things from that perspective but then again that suggests that its partially a learned behaviour/response rather than just human nature. I guess maybe its various contributing factors that can shape a person and make them like that.

Who knows really, nobody likes to feel inferior, stupid, belittled, unimportant etc etc although experiencing these more negative emotions and having to deal with them can be more mentally, spiritually and emotionally beneficial to a persons growth.
This post was last modified: 06-02-2015, 09:29 AM by cameronjcw.

06-02-2015, 09:59 AM #5
RiderOfKarma
Marshall
(06-02-2015, 09:28 AM)cameronjcw Wrote:  I think its part of our human nature to enjoy a feeling of superiority over others whether it be because you are part of an elite group or part of some rebel outsider type group.  

I think though if you are like that and have been like that for a while then it would be harder to get out of that cycle maybe because of the pleasure you receive in your brain from the feeling you get from seeing things from that perspective but then again that suggests that its partially a learned behaviour/response rather than just human nature.  I guess maybe its various contributing factors that can shape a person and make them like that.

Totally agree, there is a dopamine response factor, glad you brought that up. And I think it becomes turned on when they are challenged on their beliefs especially. The superiority hit, lol. Kind of the opposite of a lot of drug use, etc.

06-02-2015, 10:09 AM #6
cameronjcw
Justiciar
(06-02-2015, 09:59 AM)RiderOfKarma Wrote:  
(06-02-2015, 09:28 AM)cameronjcw Wrote:  I think its part of our human nature to enjoy a feeling of superiority over others whether it be because you are part of an elite group or part of some rebel outsider type group.  

I think though if you are like that and have been like that for a while then it would be harder to get out of that cycle maybe because of the pleasure you receive in your brain from the feeling you get from seeing things from that perspective but then again that suggests that its partially a learned behaviour/response rather than just human nature.  I guess maybe its various contributing factors that can shape a person and make them like that.

Totally agree, there is a dopamine response factor, glad you brought that up. And I think it becomes turned on when they are challenged on their beliefs especially. The superiority hit, lol. Kind of the opposite of a lot of drug use, etc.

Yeah superiority hit sounds right although its just the same as any kind of addiction then! Am sure more people like the feeling of being right or feeling like they are better, smarter, faster probably even invincible in a way compared to the "masses"

Maybe that is the problem though, are we really the masses, yes I suppose in a way but its lots of little masses all fighting against each other. I suppose as long as we keep accepting the scraps under the table then thats what we are gonna get, unfortunately it seems to be the only way you get anything these days is through taking it forcibly!

Nothing is freely given, not human rights, dignity, respect ... just nothing! For the most part anyway. Some people will give everything they have and more but they are lost in a sea of selfishness!

06-02-2015, 10:21 AM #7
RiderOfKarma
Marshall
(06-02-2015, 10:09 AM)cameronjcw Wrote:  Yeah superiority hit sounds right although its just the same as any kind of addiction then! Am sure more people like the feeling of being right or feeling like they are better, smarter, faster probably even invincible in a way compared to the "masses"

Indeed, they say the intelligent, confident, extroverted person is the most susceptible to hypnosis and other forms of deception, simply b/c he believes it cannot happen to someone as smart as he is.

Updated: Found a good vid that discusses that in detail. He gets into the extrovert/introvert part at around the 7 minute mark, but its all pretty interesting:

This post was last modified: 06-02-2015, 10:38 AM by RiderOfKarma.

06-02-2015, 10:41 AM #8
cameronjcw
Justiciar
(06-02-2015, 10:21 AM)RiderOfKarma Wrote:  
(06-02-2015, 10:09 AM)cameronjcw Wrote:  Yeah superiority hit sounds right although its just the same as any kind of addiction then! Am sure more people like the feeling of being right or feeling like they are better, smarter, faster probably even invincible in a way compared to the "masses"

Indeed, they say the intelligent, confident, extroverted person is the most susceptible to hypnosis and other forms of deception, simply b/c he believes it cannot happen to someone as smart as he is.

Yeah maybe true! Ive actually had a few experiences of hypnosis, used it for smoking a few times, worked first time stopped for 18 months then went to a festival and it all went down the toilet lol but after that it didnt work any more. Also went for other issues related to anxiety although now many years on I know some of my issues are related to my physical health issues and now am at the stage where I just think to hell with it you only get one life unless reincarnation is real in which case you only get one life at a time that you remember (for the most part, again depending on your bellief in reincarnation) so I never plan to quit smoking ever again.

I also done a short hypnosis course and have been interested in reiki and other things although the reiki from a religious aspect I dunno I am an atheist but I do believe that people can harness energy and it can affect others negatively and positively. Some people suck the life out of me and I can feel it, cant be around my mother too much she really drains me, even a phone conversation is draining.

Regards hypnosis though I think most people have the potential to be hypnotised depending on their own state of mind and knowlege of hypnosis and the knowlege, experience and confidence of the hypnotist.

I think the more you know about hypnosis and the techniques used the less suceptible you are to it, a big part of it is the hypnotist being able to convince you to convince yourself to believe in it. It does depend a lot on the power of your own mind. I think some people are just more easily led into things and are more likely to be part of a group mentatlity because thats the only way they can cope. I hate being part of any group lol even though I am disabled I dont really even like being part of a group of disabled people either, just dont do groups. I guess people in general for the most part are a bit much! I like my peace and quiet!

anyway sorry I kind of went off a bit there and now Ive lost my train of thought!

regarding the truth movement I guess all we can do is just try our best to educate other people or point them in the right direction without being too in their face. My daughter is starting to recognize a lot of the stuff thats covered on this site especially in the entertainment industry, had some interesting conversations!

I do feel bad for a lot of people I know who just do not really see whats happening and its frustrating and painful at times because you want to just shake them and say wake up do you not recognize what this crap is actually about and stop buying into it! Especially when its people with young children who are now being exposed to this stuff at an even earlier age!

06-02-2015, 10:51 AM #9
RiderOfKarma
Marshall
(06-02-2015, 10:41 AM)cameronjcw Wrote:  Yeah maybe true!  Ive actually had a few experiences of hypnosis, used it for smoking a few times, worked first time stopped for 18 months then went to a festival and it all went down the toilet lol but after that it didnt work any more.  Also went for other issues related to anxiety although now many years on I know some of my issues are related to my physical health issues and now am at the stage where I just think to hell with it you only get one life unless reincarnation is real in which case you only get one life at a time that you remember (for the most part, again depending on your bellief in reincarnation) so I never plan to quit smoking ever again.

I really struggled til I found an ecig that works for me, over a year free. I still cheat once in a while, like you said YOLO, but its more like a treat than a dietary staple now.

Quote:Regards hypnosis though I think most people have the potential to be hypnotised depending on their own state of mind and knowlege of hypnosis and the knowlege, experience and confidence of the hypnotist.

I think the more you know about hypnosis and the techniques used the less suceptible you are to it, a big part of it is the hypnotist being able to convince you to convince yourself to believe in it.  It does depend a lot on the power of your own mind.  I think some people are just more easily led into things and are more likely to be part of a group mentatlity because thats the only way they can cope.  I hate being part of any group lol even though I am disabled I dont really even like being part of a group of disabled people either, just dont do groups.  I guess people in general for the most part are a bit much! I like my peace and quiet!

anyway sorry I kind of went off a bit there and now Ive lost my train of thought!

No, no, more tangents please, that was awesome! I think awareness and being informed do make a difference.

Quote:regarding the truth movement I guess all we can do is just try our best to educate other people or point them in the right direction without being too in their face.  My daughter is starting to recognize a lot of the stuff thats covered on this site especially in the entertainment industry, had some interesting conversations!

I do feel bad for a lot of people I know who just do not really see whats happening and its frustrating and painful at times because you want to just shake them and say wake up do you not recognize what this crap is actually about and stop buying into it! Especially when its people with young children who are now being exposed to this stuff at an even earlier age!

especially the kids. I mean, conspiracy stuff aside, the fact that we grow up on tv and are exposed to milions of loud clashing ads constantly must have a hugely negative effect on society. It pounds us into little consumer slaves before we even get to High School.

06-02-2015, 11:06 AM #10
cameronjcw
Justiciar
exactly and then when you get to school they just pound it in a little more with their state sponsored indoctrination! meh lol