#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Encounters With Christ's Glorious Gospel

08-27-2015, 02:34 PM #1
K-Roox
Knight
Hello all,

I'm making this thread as I recognize there to be a Christian presence here and so there must be great testimonies of how God used His good news to resurrect souls unto new life in Christ Jesus. I would love to hear them from each born-again believer, and how His gospel is still saving you from sin (Progressive sanctification) this day.

I also recognize there to be people of other beliefs present on this board. I would kindly ask that for those who have not bowed their knees before the cross that you would refrain from posting in this thread, as it would not be at all pertinent or constructive to the topic at hand. I thank you for your self-control in advance.

I shall just say of myself that for most of my life so far I was indeed dead in my trespasses and sins as Ephesians 2 so clearly discusses, though I thought myself fine. It was through understanding more of the New World Order and related conspiracies that I began to see a global cabal against this Christ of the Bible and my curiosity was peaked, yet my heart was still far from God.

But God was so very gracious. Through His Word He held up His holiness and gave me eyes to see the terrifying beauty of Himself. I recognized I, a depraved creature, fell so far short of His glory (Romans 3:23) and I was crushed. I recognized I could only find true peace with God by the blood of Christ at Calvary. I do not know the exact moment I first repented, put my faith in Christ, and received the Holy Spirit to seal my salvation, yet I know I was never the same through this period of turmoil within my heart. I still struggled with certain flagrant sins and worldliness in my life, yet I knew the Lord would not leave me there. How could He after changing my heart to love the things He does and now hate what He hates?

Through much pain and tears over repeated sins He brought me broken to a small Baptist church where I received discipleship from the elders, sound doctrine preached multiple times a week, and a beloved fellowship of other believers. All of this the Lord used in my growth in Christlikeness and the joy of my salvation was found. To this day I continue to serve at the same church and I love all my brethren there dearly.

And to this day I struggle with sin, though not as I once did. The Lord has killed much sin in my life yet the nearer I draw to Himself, the more of His light exposes my sinful nature and I am humbled. I am far from perfect, yet being made so as I am conformed more and more into the image of Christ, my beloved Master.

All glory to God alone. Smile

How about yourselves, Christians? No longer strangers of His grace, how has He and is He still working in your lives?
This post was last modified: 08-27-2015, 03:00 PM by K-Roox.
The following 7 users Like K-Roox's post:
  • Thunderian, Smooch, Isaiah53, Vytas, meltbanana, sPEktrall, The Creeper

08-27-2015, 07:13 PM #2
meltbanana
Chaplain
(08-27-2015, 02:34 PM)K-Roox Wrote:  I do not know the exact moment I first repented

this is the golden part. brothers and sisters can look and search for truth nonstop day after day but repentance is the ignition and without it any progress will not be made.   just recently at least two fellow members stated that 'regrets are stupid/unnecessary'. coincidentally both of them aren't christians.
The following 2 users Like meltbanana's post:
  • Smooch, Isaiah53

08-27-2015, 07:58 PM #3
K-Roox
Knight
Yes, one can only truly turn to Christ when they are simultaneously turning away from their sinful selves.

May I ask how it is you came to salvation? Smile

08-28-2015, 02:26 AM #4
meltbanana
Chaplain
(08-27-2015, 07:58 PM)K-Roox Wrote:  Yes, one can only truly turn to Christ when they are simultaneously turning away from their sinful selves.

May I ask how it is you came to salvation? Smile

in short - I was so stupid and so evil but not retarded and so at one specific point in my life I realized that I really really had to hope for God to be existent because otherwise it would have been impossible for me to change. and it truly was the hardest journey of my life. but it turned out pretty well.

08-28-2015, 09:45 AM #5
seekinheart
Justiciar
i came to christ much like yourself, but only when i messed myself up and was no longer proud or vain. But felt a broken vessel I then had read much on conspiracies and really was searching for a way out, a meaning to my life, as at times I have been depressed to the point where, I used to romanticize suicide even though I am terrified of death. Anyway I started searching and really done a lot of mental gymnastics on logic to try and figure out the truth and also one of the biggest things to me, is well just the message of the gospel as opposed to belief systems like evolution and aliens, they have no love in them, the gospel tells of someone who loves me, then of course there is the fact that when researched aliens are inter dimensional beings that respond to the name of Jesus in many testimonies and only stop visitations when this happens. On top of that even the whole new world order - illuminati, there really is no hope if there is no God. The biblical account gives to me the best explanation of why we are here, and has truths in it, that I see everyday - the world is corrupt - the world is fallen - The kings of the earth plot against God. And well christs message transcends any that ive encountered people talk about buddhism, and no disrespect but buddhism teaches to be detached to have a universal compassion, not a personal love.
The following 5 users Like seekinheart's post:
  • Vytas, Smooch, Isaiah53, meltbanana, The Creeper

08-28-2015, 12:20 PM #6
Isaiah53
Squire
Great idea K-Roox! Testimonies should be shared, as they are the evidence of God's grace in our lives and a powerful witnessing tool to unbelievers.

Myself, while I always believed in a God, this belief was relative to the millions upon millions of people in this country who do the same while having absolutely no foundational system of beliefs. I simply believed in “God” and my godliness was limited to praying to “God” before eating and occasionally thanking “God” for what I had. My mom would have a couple of scriptures hanging on the walls at home and we had a Bible in the house (that I never actually read), but I can probably count the times I went to Church or had a conversation with my family about God on one hand.

I grew up through high school as a heavily introverted person. I didn’t curse, I cared somewhat about people and did believe in treating them how I wanted to be treated, and I tried to honor my parents (to an extent) because they gave me life, but I was lazy, struggled with (rather, gave in to) lust, and would be annoyed if I was taken out of my comfort zone by anyone. I would rarely help anyone if it was out of my way, and was pretty selfish with my things as well. I had no direction, ambition, or anything besides supporting myself one day in the future. And, I had no concern for the afterlife because I felt like I was “good enough” to go to heaven when I died based on what I’d heard on TV/movies.

I never actually heard the gospel until finally attending college away from home. There, I met a group of friends that I really clung to, because I noticed how different they were. They introduced me to their inner circle, which I found to be a lot warmer and nicer than the people I used to hang with. They would invite me to go to lunch and dinner with them, to hang out in their dorm rooms, and eventually to their church. I was uneasy about that, not seeing the need to go, and I really didn’t want to give up sleeping in on Sunday morning!

While I went everywhere with them except church, I eventually gave in to going with them to a couple of bible studies on campus. It was tough understanding everything at first, but I gave it a chance for them and eventually found life in the scripture. What God was saying in His word began to move me to learn more and more, but I found that I never really made a true commitment to Him. That was my bent, being aimless and non-committal to anyone or anything. 
But one night, I felt convicted by this fact by a friend who (unknowingly) brought the issue to my heart: I needed to commit to this God who so loved me. 

I went back to my room, looked up "the sinner’s prayer" (I still had no idea what or how to pray exactly, at the time), got on my knees to ask for forgiveness and made a commitment from that day on to repent, learn about God and give Him my life. I started going to church and then joined it later on, and God began shaping me and molding me like I had never experienced before. [size=small]Whereas before you couldn’t get me to go anywhere out of my comfort zone of being at home eating junk food and playing videogames, now I couldn’t keep myself away from hanging out with my friends, who were now my brothers and sisters. And I would give my last dime to see them happy and serving the Lord. I loved the church and loved going every chance I got. This has continued on today, 8 years later, in the midst of my own progressive sanctification. I have since received great discipleship from one of our church pastors for the last 4 years which has been especially impactful.

Still, I can’t believe how blessed I am, that the Lord has had such amazing patience with me, and that He’s doing so much in my life even though I fall short daily. Thank You Jesus!
This post was last modified: 08-28-2015, 12:24 PM by Isaiah53.
The following 4 users Like Isaiah53's post:
  • The Creeper, Smooch, meltbanana, Vytas

08-28-2015, 06:09 PM #7
Smooch
Knight
I have always known Him.  I cannot point to a time in life when I "came" to Jesus or "gave my life" to Him.  As a child as young as 4-5yrs, I was in love with my Creator as much as I could understand Him.  I was raised in church but taught little.  My one parent parented little.  I can honestly say I was Holy Spirit taught and raised.  Around the age of 12 I became afraid of what I was hearing/seeing in my denominational  church setting and started saying the sinner's prayer every night as though every time I closed my eyes I lost my salvation or "Jesus went away."

The fear and incorrect dogma actually created a barrier between the wonderful relationship I had with God for most of my teens.  But my hunger and determination to seek Him, know Him and hold onto Him has never wavered.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

That scripture lit such a fire in me that has kept burning for years.  With it the rest of the Bible comes alive and questions such as; what, why, when, where? all can be chased.  And with the Holy Spirit's teaching, Jesus's sacrifice and grace, and the Father's ultimate unconditional love; I do not have to wallow in shame or guilt anymore.

There is no more sinner's prayer every night.  I can go to sleep comforted I was taken care of, on His mind, in the plan...In the beginning  Big Grin

Ephesians 1:4 Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes.

"The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something you know nothing about and refuse to investigate."
The following 4 users Like Smooch's post:
  • Vytas, Isaiah53, meltbanana, sPEktrall

08-28-2015, 06:26 PM #8
sPEktrall
Chaplain
(08-28-2015, 06:09 PM)Smooch Wrote:  I have always known Him.  I cannot point to a time in life when I "came" to Jesus or "gave my life" to Him.  As a child as young as 4-5yrs, I was in love with my Creator as much as I could understand Him.  I was raised in church but taught little.  My one parent parented little.  I can honestly say I was Holy Spirit taught and raised.  Around the age of 12 I became afraid of what I was hearing/seeing in my denominational  church setting and started saying the sinner's prayer every night as though every time I closed my eyes I lost my salvation or "Jesus went away."

The fear and incorrect dogma actually created a barrier between the wonderful relationship I had with God for most of my teens.  But my hunger and determination to seek Him, know Him and hold onto Him has never wavered.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

That scripture lit such a fire in me that has kept burning for years.  With it the rest of the Bible comes alive and questions such as; what, why, when, where? all can be chased.  And with the Holy Spirit's teaching, Jesus's sacrifice and grace, and the Father's ultimate unconditional love; I do not have to wallow in shame or guilt anymore.

There is no more sinner's prayer every night.  I can go to sleep comforted I was taken care of, on His mind, in the plan...In the beginning  Big Grin

Ephesians 1:4 Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes.

Hey Smooch,

So God is inwardly changing your heart and conforming you to the person of Jesus Christ?  Have you come to a place in your life where you hate sin and desire to be like Jesus?

Prov 15:7 The lips of the wise disperse knowledge: but the heart of the foolish doeth not so.
The following 2 users Like sPEktrall's post:
  • Isaiah53, The Creeper

08-28-2015, 08:50 PM #9
Smooch
Knight
(08-28-2015, 06:26 PM)sPEktrall Wrote:  Hey Smooch,

So God is inwardly changing your heart and conforming you to the person of Jesus Christ?  Have you come to a place in your life where you hate sin and desire to be like Jesus?

If you are asking if I am saved, yes I have been for 30 years.

The Holy Spirit, if allowed, changes and teaches a person daily throughout their walk with Christ.  The clay is constantly being molded.  Paul talks about it in 1Corinthians 3:2 I had to feed you with milk, not with solid food, because you weren't ready for anything stronger. And you still aren't ready, Our maturity in Christ is an ongoing process.

Being more like Jesus.  Wow.  When I finally came to the point where I let my walls down and let HIM love ME, I was finally able to begin to see others the way He sees them.  The judgement and anger started to fall away.  Of course there is aversion to sin.  But sin isn't going anywhere yet.  I'll be sinning tomorrow and the next day.  Easily.  Best I can do is do the best I can do and be thankful every day Jesus was thinking of me too on that cross, yanno?

Sorry, I kinda rambled off.  Tend to do that a lot  Shy

"The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something you know nothing about and refuse to investigate."
The following 3 users Like Smooch's post:
  • Vytas, Isaiah53, sPEktrall

08-28-2015, 09:11 PM #10
sPEktrall
Chaplain
(08-28-2015, 08:50 PM)Smooch Wrote:  
(08-28-2015, 06:26 PM)sPEktrall Wrote:  Hey Smooch,

If you are asking if I am saved, yes I have been for 30 years.

The Holy Spirit, if allowed, changes and teaches a person daily throughout their walk with Christ.  The clay is constantly being molded.  Paul talks about it in 1Corinthians 3:2 I had to feed you with milk, not with solid food, because you weren't ready for anything stronger. And you still aren't ready, Our maturity in Christ is an ongoing process.

Being more like Jesus.  Wow.  When I finally came to the point where I let my walls down and let HIM love ME, I was finally able to begin to see others the way He sees them.  The judgement and anger started to fall away.  Of course there is aversion to sin.  But sin isn't going anywhere yet.  I'll be sinning tomorrow and the next day.  Easily.  Best I can do is do the best I can do and be thankful every day Jesus was thinking of me too on that cross, yanno?

Sorry, I kinda rambled off.  Tend to do that a lot  Shy

That's wonderful.  I am glad to hear all that.   Smile 

I have been praying for God to bring me to a closer place of intimacy with him for a long time and everything changes once he does as you pointed out.  The only true peace and joy we have is to abide in the savior.

Prov 15:7 The lips of the wise disperse knowledge: but the heart of the foolish doeth not so.