#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Health Advice/Tips

06-01-2015, 03:25 PM #1
Kung Fu
Chaplain
Let's all post health tips in regards to food and exercise. I know a fair bit when it comes to weightlifting, losing weight the right way, and gaining muscle so if you have any questions regarding those, I will gladly give my take on it.

Post away good people!
This post was last modified: 06-01-2015, 04:09 PM by Kung Fu.

Prophet Muhammad (SallAllahu alaihi wasalam) said:

"My similitude and that of the life of this world is that of a traveler who took a rest at mid-day under a shade of a tree and then left it."       (Ahmad, at-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah and al-Hakim)

06-01-2015, 04:00 PM #2
RiderOfKarma
Marshall
(06-01-2015, 03:25 PM)Kung Fu Wrote:  Let's all post health tips in regards to food and exercise. I know a fair bit when it comes to weightlifting, losing weight the right way, and gaining muscle.

Post away good people!

I've started using protein whey powder, and its pretty great! Tastes like chocolate milk, even with water. I was finding it almost impossible to get my protein up without devouring a million calories before.

06-01-2015, 04:15 PM #3
SabethaPenguin
Marshall
My advice for mental health: write. Let it all out. Do something constructive and creative, whether it is writing, singing, drawing, building...

I wish I had 'real' health tips, but I'm not as healthy as one should be I'm afraid Tongue
This post was last modified: 06-01-2015, 04:15 PM by SabethaPenguin.

“The world outside had its own rules, and those rules were not human.”

06-01-2015, 04:27 PM #4
Kung Fu
Chaplain
(06-01-2015, 04:15 PM)SabethaPenguin Wrote:  My advice for mental health: write. Let it all out. Do something constructive and creative, whether it is writing, singing, drawing, building...

I wish I had 'real' health tips, but I'm not as healthy as one should be I'm afraid Tongue

I definitely agree with you in terms of mental health. It's kind of why family is so important. I have brothers that will always hear me out and vice versa not to mention my awesome sister and mother.

As for physical health, it's never to late Smile

"My similitude and that of the life of this world is that of a traveler who took a rest at mid-day under a shade of a tree and then left it."       (Ahmad, at-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah and al-Hakim)

06-01-2015, 04:45 PM #5
SabethaPenguin
Marshall
Quote:I definitely agree with you in terms of mental health. It's kind of why family is so important. I have brothers that will always hear me out and vice versa not to mention my awesome sister and mother.

As for physical health, it's never to late  Smile

True that ^^

man I wish I had siblings.

“The world outside had its own rules, and those rules were not human.”

06-02-2015, 06:25 AM #6
Wayne_Kerr
Squire
Hey Kung Fu, nice to know we have topic on fitness. Curious in regards to your health and training regime so I can keep myself motivated.

What is your body fat percentage?
Do you follow a strict diet or a flexible diet (e.g. IIFYM - If it fits your macros)?
How long have you been training for?

06-02-2015, 08:55 AM #7
Kung Fu
Chaplain
(06-02-2015, 06:25 AM)Wayne_Kerr Wrote:  Hey Kung Fu, nice to know we have topic on fitness. Curious in regards to your health and training regime so I can keep myself motivated.

What is your body fat percentage?
Do you follow a strict diet or a flexible diet (e.g. IIFYM - If it fits your macros)?
How long have you been training for?

At first motivation is key but I find that once you've been doing it for a while which is relative to everyone, you'll won't need as much motivation anymore but still motivation is very key.

In my avatar I'm sitting at 9-11% but for example now during the summer months, I sit at 8-9%.

My diet is flexible to me but it might not look that way to someone else. Sunday to Friday my diet is pretty strict with an exception of a little snack usually at the end of the night, which usually consists of a little bit of chocolate around a 100 calories worth. On Saturday's I'm usually out with my fiancee, friends, and family so I tend to eat whatever I want but no fast food. I would never spend my money and feed my body garbage through places like McDonalds. If you can get your appointed proteins, carbs, and fats in your diet and you have calories left to fill then go right ahead and eat whatever makes you happy Smile

I've been training seriously for 7 years now in terms of weightlifting but I've always been in good shape through track field, soccer, basketball, and especially martial arts.

06-02-2015, 12:09 PM #8
Hermes
Marshall
If anyone is trying to lose weight what was really effective for me was gaining muscle. Do not go to the gym and waste time on hours of cardio related workouts. Lift lift lift and as you gain more muscle your metabolism will increase.

06-02-2015, 12:12 PM #9
RiderOfKarma
Marshall
(06-02-2015, 12:09 PM)Hermes Wrote:  If anyone is trying to lose weight what was really effective for me was gaining muscle. Do not go to the gym and waste time on hours of cardio related workouts. Lift lift lift and as you gain more muscle your metabolism will increase.

I think metabolism gets a bit more credit than it deserves, b/c you're talking about a very small increase, like a fraction of a percent added to what your natural homeostasis does. There are a ton of studies showing how weights are way more affective than cardio though, and most people won't achieve the results they are looking for by just calorie deficit wasting. They'll just look like scrawny ass Justin Beibers, lol.

06-02-2015, 12:13 PM #10
Kung Fu
Chaplain
(06-02-2015, 12:09 PM)Hermes Wrote:  If anyone is trying to lose weight what was really effective for me was gaining muscle. Do not go to the gym and waste time on hours of cardio related workouts. Lift lift lift and as you gain more muscle your metabolism will increase.

In the long run, this is probably the best way to keep weight off and of course with a healthy lifestyle of eating. No amount of muscle or cardio will keep the fat off if you're eating too much.

Cardio has its place in terms of how low you want to get your bodyfat percentage.