#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
CHAPPiE - movie

08-17-2015, 06:03 AM #1
EnquiringMind
Squire
I sat through the diabolical mess that was the movie "CHAPPiE" at the weekend. Transhumanism themes aside, I was struck by something interesting. Is it just me or does the robot resemble the Egyptian god of darkness, Set İmageİmage
This post was last modified: 08-17-2015, 06:05 AM by EnquiringMind.
The following 1 user Likes EnquiringMind's post:
  • Thy Unveiling

08-17-2015, 06:37 AM #2
Emerald
Chaplain
Yes, looks like him

People who surrender their former religious beliefs have got to be some of the smartest and bravest people in the world because they set out to find truth even while under the threat of "eternal damnations". George Carlin
The following 1 user Likes Emerald's post:
  • EnquiringMind

08-17-2015, 09:24 AM #3
FlixKandish
Chaplain
Not really. Set's ear things stand straight up and Chappie's go out at an angle. Set has a snout, Chappie has a flat face. Set does not wear shoulder pads, Chappie does. I think it's really reaching to say they are similar, given the only similarity isn't even a direct match.

Also, that movie was great. I love Die Antwood. Smile

08-17-2015, 09:51 AM #4
EnquiringMind
Squire
(08-17-2015, 09:24 AM)FlixKandish Wrote:  Not really. Set's ear things stand straight up and Chappie's go out at an angle. Set has a snout, Chappie has a flat face. Set does not wear shoulder pads, Chappie does. I think it's really reaching to say they are similar, given the only similarity isn't even a direct matchundefined.

Also, that movie was great. I love Die Antwood. Smile

I get what you're saying, however, if we are talking about symbols, I personally think that there is a resemblance. EAch to their own, I guess. Similarity, however, doesn't have to be a direct match, though. Maybe it's just me that sees it.

08-17-2015, 10:09 AM #5
FlixKandish
Chaplain
Sometimes it's fun to look at similarities, and others it's on the verge of a dangerous paranoia. Programming the mind to see that which isn't there and then thinking what's in your mind is the reality is ultimately mind controlling yourself. In looking so hard for symbols and brainwashing, people are brainwashing themselves. I'm pretty sure there is a fancy official name for that, but I cannot remember it right now. 

Anyways, googled Set right quick abd Chappie's personality does not even match Set's attributes. In fact, they are completely opposite.
 Since this is the case, what do you suppose the point would be of giving a character similar ears to am egyptian god, but having it share no characteristics? (This thought experiment is assuming you are correct in your idea that chappie is modeled after Set)

08-17-2015, 10:25 AM #6
EnquiringMind
Squire
(08-17-2015, 10:09 AM)FlixKandish Wrote:   Since this is the case, what do you suppose the point would be of giving a character similar ears to am egyptian god, but having it shareundefined no characteristics? (This thought experiment is assuming you are correct in your idea that chappie is modeled after Set)

Excellent points. Thanks for clearing that up.

08-17-2015, 10:26 AM #7
FlixKandish
Chaplain
(08-17-2015, 10:25 AM)EnquiringMind Wrote:  
(08-17-2015, 10:09 AM)FlixKandish Wrote:   Since this is the case, what do you suppose the point would be of giving a character similar ears to am egyptian god, but having it shareundefined no characteristics? (This thought experiment is assuming you are correct in your idea that chappie is modeled after Set)

Excellent points. Thanks for clearing that up.
hm, your reply doesn't make any sense in context of what you quoted. Did you miss the question?

08-17-2015, 11:21 AM #8
SheWatches
Justiciar
It would help if he had a beak like Set, but guess that would be to obvious.  Hey, with the other Egyptian Gods, it's obvious what kind of animal head they have - Horus/Falcon, Hathor/Cow, Anubis/Jackal or Dog, Thoth/Ibis...
... But what the heck is Set?

There's no anteaters or armadillos in Egypt... but there are aardvarks... and this guy:

How do they get the "m" on the M&M?
The following 1 user Likes SheWatches's post:
  • Thy Unveiling

08-17-2015, 03:25 PM #9
FlixKandish
Chaplain
(08-17-2015, 11:21 AM)SheWatches Wrote:  It would help if he had a beak like Set, but guess that would be to obvious. 

Too obvious for what?

08-17-2015, 04:31 PM #10
SheWatches
Justiciar
(08-17-2015, 03:25 PM)FlixKandish Wrote:  
(08-17-2015, 11:21 AM)SheWatches Wrote:  It would help if he had a beak like Set, but guess that would be too obvious. 

Too obvious for what?
Rolleyes   That if the robot was indeed based after Set, then giving the robot a longer muzzle like Set would make the connection more obvious. Like you were saying.

This post was last modified: 08-17-2015, 04:58 PM by SheWatches.

How do they get the "m" on the M&M?
The following 1 user Likes SheWatches's post:
  • Thy Unveiling