#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
The Berenst#in Bears Problem: Are We Living in an Alternate Worldline?

08-14-2015, 01:27 PM #1
truthseeker
Squire
I found this out a couple weeks ago, and I am still kind of freaking out about it. If you haven't heard about this phenomena yet, prepare to be mind-blown.

http://www.strangerdimensions.com/2015/0...worldline/

Quote:Now, if you don’t know about The Berenstein Bears, they were a series of children’s books, and eventually a cartoon, created by Stan and Jan Berenstein. They focused on a family of bears, and did the usual educational children’s book/tv series thing. Simple enough. I remember them, vaguely, and I believe I owned a book or two when I was a kid. It’s been a while.

So what’s the problem?

They’re not The Berenstein Bears. They’ve never been The Berenstein Bears. Despite the fact that many others remember them as The Berenstein Bears, and I myself still pronounce their name as The Berenstein Bears, this is false. This is wrong.

They are The Berenstain Bears.

http://woodbetweenworlds.blogspot.com/20...ng-in.html

Quote:Here's the thing.  These books play such a huge role in the collective memories of so many people, all of whom clearly and distinctly remember "BerenstEin", that I am not the first to propose the notion that somehow, at some time in the last 10 years or so, reality has been tampered with and history has been retroactively changed.  The bears really were called the "BerenstEin Bears" when we were growing up, but now reality has been altered such that the name of the bears has been changed post hoc.

In 1992 they were "stEin" in 1992, but in 2012 they were "stAin" in 1992.

I would like to make a modest proposal: We are all living in our own parallel universe.

There is at least one other universe parallel to our own.  I will distinguish the two by the stEin universe and the stAin universe, depending on the surname of the creators of the famous children's book.  The stEin universe was the world we resided in during the 1990s.  Sometime after we all stopped reading kids books, that is when we were shifted in to the stAin universe.  There may be more differences than just the surname of the Berenst_ins, in fact there almost certainly are more differences, and we just need to find them. 

I propose that the universe is a 4-dimensional complex manifold.  If you don't se habla math jargon, that means I propose the 3 space dimensions and the 1 time dimensions are actually in themselves complex, meaning they take values of the form a+ib, part "real" and part "imaginary".  Within this 4D manifold, there are sixteen hexadectants (like quadrants, but 16 of them), corresponding to whether we consider only the real or imaginary part of each of the four dimensions.  In our particular hexadectant, the three space dimensions are real, and the time dimension is imaginary.

I further propose that the stEin and the stAin universes are actually just different hexadectants of the same universe: in the stEin universe, all three spatial dimensions are real and time is imaginary; in the stAin universe, all three spatial dimensions are imaginary and time is real.  Of course, from the standpoint of stEin/stAin this won't produce any mathematically significant difference; it's the same as choosing (+++-) or (---+) convention for Minkowski space, which at the end doesn't alter predictions or measurements.  We'd never know if we did swap.

Given the weak interaction of particles between these hexadectants, stEin and stAin both evolved in time along similar lines, staying very close to one another.  Jan and Stan decided to write kids books about bears in both, for instance.  But there have also been differences; like some 16th century scribe accidentally spilled some ink on a census page, changing "Berenstein" to "Berenstain" on accident, and they just left it that way.

Somehow, we have all undergone a π/2 phase change in all 4 dimensions so that we moved to the stAin hexadectant, while our counterparts moved to our hexadectant (stEin).  They are standing around expressing their confusion about the "Berenstein Bears" and how they all remember "Berenstain Bears" on the covers growing up.

[Image: CweX3dd.jpg] [Image: Berenstain_Bears_logo.jpg]

So how do YOU remember it being spelled?? Personally, I am SO confident that it WAS spelled with an E most of my life. I've always been a good speller, and I've always prided myself on my ability to remember how things are spelled. My memory for how words are spelled has always been very photographic in my mind, and looking at the Berenstain logo leaves my brain feeling very conflicted.

My daughter also watched the show occasionally when she was a baby (around 2012ish) and I remember even then that it was spelled with an E. I believe something occurred around or after that timeframe which altered the spelling that I have grown so accustomed to. The question is, what?
This post was last modified: 08-14-2015, 01:28 PM by truthseeker.
The following 2 users Like truthseeker's post:
  • Songbird516, Trenton

08-14-2015, 02:15 PM #2
Alice
Marshall
(08-14-2015, 01:27 PM)truthseeker Wrote:  I found this out a couple weeks ago, and I am still kind of freaking out about it. If you haven't heard about this phenomena yet, prepare to be mind-blown.

http://www.strangerdimensions.com/2015/0...worldline/

Quote:Now, if you don’t know about The Berenstein Bears, they were a series of children’s books, and eventually a cartoon, created by Stan and Jan Berenstein. They focused on a family of bears, and did the usual educational children’s book/tv series thing. Simple enough. I remember them, vaguely, and I believe I owned a book or two when I was a kid. It’s been a while.

So what’s the problem?

They’re not The Berenstein Bears. They’ve never been The Berenstein Bears. Despite the fact that many others remember them as The Berenstein Bears, and I myself still pronounce their name as The Berenstein Bears, this is false. This is wrong.

They are The Berenstain Bears.

http://woodbetweenworlds.blogspot.com/20...ng-in.html

Quote:Here's the thing.  These books play such a huge role in the collective memories of so many people, all of whom clearly and distinctly remember "BerenstEin", that I am not the first to propose the notion that somehow, at some time in the last 10 years or so, reality has been tampered with and history has been retroactively changed.  The bears really were called the "BerenstEin Bears" when we were growing up, but now reality has been altered such that the name of the bears has been changed post hoc.

In 1992 they were "stEin" in 1992, but in 2012 they were "stAin" in 1992.

I would like to make a modest proposal: We are all living in our own parallel universe.

There is at least one other universe parallel to our own.  I will distinguish the two by the stEin universe and the stAin universe, depending on the surname of the creators of the famous children's book.  The stEin universe was the world we resided in during the 1990s.  Sometime after we all stopped reading kids books, that is when we were shifted in to the stAin universe.  There may be more differences than just the surname of the Berenst_ins, in fact there almost certainly are more differences, and we just need to find them. 

I propose that the universe is a 4-dimensional complex manifold.  If you don't se habla math jargon, that means I propose the 3 space dimensions and the 1 time dimensions are actually in themselves complex, meaning they take values of the form a+ib, part "real" and part "imaginary".  Within this 4D manifold, there are sixteen hexadectants (like quadrants, but 16 of them), corresponding to whether we consider only the real or imaginary part of each of the four dimensions.  In our particular hexadectant, the three space dimensions are real, and the time dimension is imaginary.

I further propose that the stEin and the stAin universes are actually just different hexadectants of the same universe: in the stEin universe, all three spatial dimensions are real and time is imaginary; in the stAin universe, all three spatial dimensions are imaginary and time is real.  Of course, from the standpoint of stEin/stAin this won't produce any mathematically significant difference; it's the same as choosing (+++-) or (---+) convention for Minkowski space, which at the end doesn't alter predictions or measurements.  We'd never know if we did swap.

Given the weak interaction of particles between these hexadectants, stEin and stAin both evolved in time along similar lines, staying very close to one another.  Jan and Stan decided to write kids books about bears in both, for instance.  But there have also been differences; like some 16th century scribe accidentally spilled some ink on a census page, changing "Berenstein" to "Berenstain" on accident, and they just left it that way.

Somehow, we have all undergone a π/2 phase change in all 4 dimensions so that we moved to the stAin hexadectant, while our counterparts moved to our hexadectant (stEin).  They are standing around expressing their confusion about the "Berenstein Bears" and how they all remember "Berenstain Bears" on the covers growing up.

[Image: CweX3dd.jpg] [Image: Berenstain_Bears_logo.jpg]

So how do YOU remember it being spelled?? Personally, I am SO confident that it WAS spelled with an E most of my life. I've always been a good speller, and I've always prided myself on my ability to remember how things are spelled. My memory for how words are spelled has always been very photographic in my mind, and looking at the Berenstain logo leaves my brain feeling very conflicted.

My daughter also watched the show occasionally when she was a baby (around 2012ish) and I remember even then that it was spelled with an E. I believe something occurred around or after that timeframe which altered the spelling that I have grown so accustomed to. The question is, what?

Ok what the heck, I had 2 of the books for the longest time and the one time in my life I need them to check this they are gone!?

I am almost positive that it was spelled with an E too!!!!!! I think they are playing tricks on us?!??

You are the best nation raised for mankind. You enjoin the good and forbid the evil and you believe in Allah. Had the People of the Book (Jews and Christians) believed, it would have been better for them. From them there are believers but the majority of them are disobedient. [Holy Qur'an 3:110]

08-14-2015, 02:44 PM #3
NaturalLaw
Knight
My family also had a couple of books, and I also remember it spelled with an E..

Amazon shows only an A on their earliest dated books:
http://www.amazon.com/Berenstain-Bears-T...tein+bears

08-14-2015, 03:11 PM #4
Alice
Marshall
(08-14-2015, 02:44 PM)NaturalLaw Wrote:  My family also had a couple of books, and I also remember it spelled with an E..

Amazon shows only an A on their earliest dated books:
http://www.amazon.com/Berenstain-Bears-T...tein+bears

I checked a local library page and the same thing... As the OP said it seems to have been a phenomenon of the '90s...

You are the best nation raised for mankind. You enjoin the good and forbid the evil and you believe in Allah. Had the People of the Book (Jews and Christians) believed, it would have been better for them. From them there are believers but the majority of them are disobedient. [Holy Qur'an 3:110]

08-14-2015, 04:17 PM #5
truthseeker
Squire
There has been a lot of people that claiming they KNOW for sure they had books and it was spelled Berenstein, but as soon as they find them, nope. It's always been Berenstain. It's just so weird to me, the -stain spelling. It doesn't look right at all. And I know if it was spelled like that always, I would have pronounced it BerenSTAIN (and probably even thought up a stupid nick name like the sh*t-stain bears or whatever), not BerenSTEEN or BerenSTINE like I always did.
This post was last modified: 08-14-2015, 04:17 PM by truthseeker.
The following 1 user Likes truthseeker's post:
  • Trenton

08-14-2015, 09:54 PM #6
umphreak
Marshall
LOL that's a hilarious theory.  I too had the experience of being shocked to learn that it's spelled with an "a" and not an "e".  But I'm also pretty sure that I didn't actually pay very close attention to the spelling of things back when I was young enough to actually read those books.  I think this is a case of a word being so commonly mispronounced that people just assume that it is spelled that way.  Sorry, I don't think there is an alternate Berenstein Bear universe, haha!  But that theory just made my day.
The following 2 users Like umphreak's post:
  • Goku, khadeejah

08-14-2015, 11:52 PM #7
Alice
Marshall
OKAY THEN. I have come across this. This should settle things:

http://www.amazon.com/Stan-and-Jan-Beren...B00JGWT49G

It WAS spelled with an 'e'. They are not fooling anyone!!! It's right there!!!

The following 2 users Like Alice's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, khadeejah

08-15-2015, 12:20 AM #8
khadeejah
Chaplain
(08-14-2015, 09:54 PM)umphreak Wrote:  LOL that's a hilarious theory.  I too had the experience of being shocked to learn that it's spelled with an "a" and not an "e".  But I'm also pretty sure that I didn't actually pay very close attention to the spelling of things back when I was young enough to actually read those books.  I think this is a case of a word being so commonly mispronounced that people just assume that it is spelled that way.  Sorry, I don't think there is an alternate Berenstein Bear universe, haha!  But that theory just made my day.

My kid loves Berenstain Bears!  He did the summer reading program at the library and had to read 25 books -  23 of them were Berenstain Bears books (AAARGHH!!!!) 

Anyways, I have some hard evidence in front of me:   5 library books -  all authored by Stan and Jan Berenstain.   The earliest copyright is "The Big Honey Hunt" 1962. 

I  always said BerenstEEN  (probably from growing up listening to Bruce Springsteen [I'm aging myself])  but the first time I read one of those books to him and had to point to the words while reading, it was like Idea    "Ooohhhhh it's Berenstain not Berensteen!"
The following 1 user Likes khadeejah's post:
  • umphreak

08-15-2015, 12:22 AM #9
khadeejah
Chaplain
(08-14-2015, 11:52 PM)Alice Wrote:  OKAY THEN. I have come across this. This should settle things:

http://www.amazon.com/Stan-and-Jan-Beren...B00JGWT49G

It WAS spelled with an 'e'. They are not fooling anyone!!! It's right there!!!

Even Amazon spelled it wrong!  Look at the book covers there...  this is too funny!
The following 1 user Likes khadeejah's post:
  • umphreak

08-15-2015, 04:38 AM #10
Thy Unveiling
Chaplain
I saw this E/A controversy a few months ago and it confused me.

I could swear it was an E growing up, though we always pronounced it "stain". Sometimes I'd be in a rhyming mood (usually with a ridiculous accent) and say Jan and Stan Berenstan. Or Jane and Stain Berenstain.

I have no physical evidence to back up the E. Another poster already said she has a 1962 book that says A. (Is this a modern reprint, or a book from childhood?) They (as in the mysterious they, not aforementioned poster) claim Caramilk bars are one of life's mysteries, but its not. Its the Berenstein Bears.

I wonder if Jan and Stan are still a couple. Or were they siblings? I most certainly hope they're not both!
This post was last modified: 08-15-2015, 04:41 AM by Thy Unveiling. Edit Reason: clarification
The following 2 users Like Thy Unveiling's post:
  • Loki, KevinShane