#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
The best sleep position for your brain

08-09-2015, 10:59 AM #1
khadeejah
Chaplain
Lying on the side is the most common sleep position for humans. Interestingly, it’s also the most common sleep position for animals in the wild. Fascinating new research from Stony Brook University may explain why: A side-sleeping position seems to improve waste clearance from the brain, which could prevent Alzheimer’s disease and neurodegenerative diseases. >>>   https://www.yahoo.com/health/the-best-sl...37202.html

Prophet Muhammad (salallAllaahu alaihi wasallam) used to sleep on his right side, putting his right hand under his right cheek, and this is what he recommended others to do. According to a saheeh hadeeth narrated from al-Baraa’ ibn ‘Aazib, the Prophet  (salallAllaahu alaihi wasallam)  said: “When you go to bed, do wudoo’ (ablutions)  as if for prayer, then lie down on your right side…”

The Sunnah is to put one’s right hand under one’s cheek. It was narrated that Hudhayfah said, “When the Prophet (salallAllaahu alaihi wasallam) went to bed at night, he would put his hand under his cheek, then say, ‘Allaahumma bismika amootu wa ahyaa (O Allaah, in Your name I die and I live).’ Then when he woke up he would say, ‘Al-hamdu Lillaah alladhi ahyaanaa ba’da ma amaatanaa wa ilayhi al-nushoor (Praise be to Allaah who has brought us back to life after causing us to die, and to Him is the resurrection).’

Ibn Hajar said: The right side is singled out for a number of reasons, such as: this lets a person wake up more quickly; it also allows the heart to lean towards the right hand side. Ibn al-Jawzi said: the doctors have stated that this position is more beneficial to the body. They said to start by lying on the right for a while, then turn over to the left, because the former aids peristalsis and sleeping on one’s left side facilitates digestion.

The following 3 users Like khadeejah's post:
  • umphreak, Tarikko, The Creeper

08-09-2015, 05:23 PM #2
Annonymous Damsel
Marshall
(08-09-2015, 10:59 AM)khadeejah Wrote:  Lying on the side is the most common sleep position for humans. Interestingly, it’s also the most common sleep position for animals in the wild. Fascinating new research from Stony Brook University may explain why: A side-sleeping position seems to improve waste clearance from the brain, which could prevent Alzheimer’s disease and neurodegenerative diseases. >>>   https://www.yahoo.com/health/the-best-sl...37202.html

Prophet Muhammad (salallAllaahu alaihi wasallam) used to sleep on his right side, putting his right hand under his right cheek, and this is what he recommended others to do. According to a saheeh hadeeth narrated from al-Baraa’ ibn ‘Aazib, the Prophet  (salallAllaahu alaihi wasallam)  said: “When you go to bed, do wudoo’ (ablutions)  as if for prayer, then lie down on your right side…”

The Sunnah is to put one’s right hand under one’s cheek. It was narrated that Hudhayfah said, “When the Prophet (salallAllaahu alaihi wasallam) went to bed at night, he would put his hand under his cheek, then say, ‘Allaahumma bismika amootu wa ahyaa (O Allaah, in Your name I die and I live).’ Then when he woke up he would say, ‘Al-hamdu Lillaah alladhi ahyaanaa ba’da ma amaatanaa wa ilayhi al-nushoor (Praise be to Allaah who has brought us back to life after causing us to die, and to Him is the resurrection).’

Ibn Hajar said: The right side is singled out for a number of reasons, such as: this lets a person wake up more quickly; it also allows the heart to lean towards the right hand side. Ibn al-Jawzi said: the doctors have stated that this position is more beneficial to the body. They said to start by lying on the right for a while, then turn over to the left, because the former aids peristalsis and sleeping on one’s left side facilitates digestion.

You sure are in love with religious topics Big Grin Tongue
The following 4 users Like Annonymous Damsel's post:
  • Hex, Goku, FlixKandish, cameronjcw

08-09-2015, 07:42 PM #3
cameronjcw
Justiciar
I always sleep on my side and toss from right to left all night, cant lie on my back cause cant lean on my head cause of the hole in my skull from my operation last year, its a bit weird touching it or anything cause it makes me nauseous.

Sleeping on my right side makes my sleep apnea worse but sleeping on my left I need to pee all the time lol so I start out on the right till I start waking up from sleep apnea then end up crying a bit and turning round to my left, then after 10 mins back to the right cause I need to pee again then left then right and then when I am finally KO'd I dunno what I do but its usually just a combo of left and right all night. No wonder I wake up feeling like Ive ran a bloody marathon!!
The following 2 users Like cameronjcw's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, The Creeper

08-10-2015, 06:31 AM #4
The Creeper
Chaplain
I have been an insomniac for quite a few years and I would just toss and turn all night, until I noticed the sun was rising and then I would think to myself "well what was the point in that? I could have been getting stuff done!"
So I really appreciate a good nights sleep when I get one and I have been sleeping like a rock lately. Smile

I have always prefered falling asleep on my right side. Sometimes my right shoulder really, badly aches and I have to turn over to my left, but I think thats a result of me getting hit by a motorbike when I was younger. I usually wake up on my back or on my face, im never in the same position I fell asleep in. Good thread.

@cameronjcw, I feel for you, its horrible not being able to get any sleep, have you tried sleeping face down? I have fallen asleep face down quite a few times (sometimes on grass) and it can be rather comfortable.
This post was last modified: 08-10-2015, 08:26 AM by The Creeper.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool – William Shakespear
The following 3 users Like The Creeper's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, cameronjcw, Tarikko

08-10-2015, 07:40 AM #5
mrgrimm
Marshall
I vaguely remember something in accordance with the info. the OP posted - something about how sleeping on your stomach is negative in some way. Sometimes that is the only way I can get comfortable enough to fall asleep!
The following 2 users Like mrgrimm's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, The Creeper

08-10-2015, 11:39 AM #6
cameronjcw
Justiciar
(08-10-2015, 06:31 AM)The Creeper Wrote:  I have been an insomniac for quite a few years and I would just toss and turn all night, until I noticed the sun was rising and then I would think to myself "well what was the point in that? I could have been getting stuff done!"
So I really appreciate a good nights sleep when I get one and I have been sleeping like a rock lately.  Smile

I have always prefered falling asleep on my right side. Sometimes my right shoulder really, badly aches and I have to turn over to my left, but I think thats a result of me getting hit by a motorbike when I was younger. I usually wake up on my back or on my face, im never in the same position I fell asleep in. Good thread.

@cameronjcw, I feel for you, its horrible not being able to get any sleep, have you tried sleeping face down? I have fallen asleep face down quite a few times (sometimes on grass) and it can be rather comfortable.

I wont sleep completely face down leaning on my ribs can push them hard enough to move them out of place (its an Ehlers Danlos thing) but I can get comfortable in a weird half on my side hand on my front, it sounds bizzare, it probably is. Am used to it now anyway Ive had insomnia since I was a teenager and it was a constant struggle for years, would always try and go to bed early when I was working but would end up tossing and turning all night till about an hour before it was time to get up, it just got worse and then I got more sick and cant work now so I just try and sleep when I can, most of the time I cope with it ok but some days I am at the point where I am about to cry and cant even stand to listen or be around anybody and I can feel myself getting ready to blow but am always tired anyway, if I am in a lot of pain it eats into my dreams and becomes part of them, always being made to walk around and do stuff when I am sore and exhausted lol and then I wake up sore and exhausted after it, sometimes a lot more sore and exhausted somehow.

My daughter sleeps on her back, for a while she would sleep on her back with her legs bent up but sometimes I go to sleep spooning the back of the couch or with one leg bent up with my knee at my chin, weirdly comfortable.
The following 1 user Likes cameronjcw's post:
  • Thy Unveiling

08-14-2015, 09:40 PM #7
umphreak
Marshall
That is really interesting.  I always sleep on my right side and frequently place my hand under my cheek.  Sometimes I switch to the left side for a bit, but always end up back on the right because it's way more comfortable for me.
The following 2 users Like umphreak's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, khadeejah

08-15-2015, 01:06 AM #8
khadeejah
Chaplain
(08-14-2015, 09:40 PM)umphreak Wrote:  That is really interesting.  I always sleep on my right side and frequently place my hand under my cheek.  Sometimes I switch to the left side for a bit, but always end up back on the right because it's way more comfortable for me.

You follow the Sunnah without even knowing it!  Maybe it's your "hardwired" fitrah that makes it so natural for you - God Knows Best.  Welcome back Umphreak!

The following 1 user Likes khadeejah's post:
  • umphreak

08-16-2015, 04:53 AM #9
Axiom
Marshall
Is this why Muhammad said not to touch the penis or wipe oneself with the right hand?