#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
The Afterlife

08-07-2015, 03:02 PM #1
Loki
Chaplain
Regardless of your beliefs (Christian, Muslim, Atheist, Agnostic, Hindu, Jew, and so on) what do you personally picture the afterlife being like? When you die what do you think will happen to you? Whether you think your consciousness just fades and you cease to exist or you think there is a party thrown in your honor in Heaven, I'm just curious what people actually think will occur. Be as detailed as you feel like being, the more details the better the read I imagine. And for those who believe there is both a Heaven and a Hell perhaps describe what you think both would be like according to your own interpretations.

I don't think there is much need for arguing with one another about their versions or mocking each other for what they believe in this thread, but I suppose I can't stop you either.

I'm not including my own version of the afterlife in this first post because I'm not entirely sure what I believe will happen so when I do get my thoughts out I imagine they will go a lot of different places.

“Life is neither good or evil, but only a place for good and evil.”
Marcus Aurelius

"In my opinion, there is a more scientific approach we can take to all hot-button issues. We do this when we stop demonizing the opposing viewpoints or victimizing ourselves, and we acknowledge and account for our own biases and emotions to the best of our ability."
--- Elliott C. Morgan
The following 2 users Like Loki's post:
  • justjess, The Creeper

08-07-2015, 03:05 PM #2
Kung Fu
Chaplain
As a Muslim I believe it to be a place free of hate, jealousy, and so forth with pretty much anything you can ask for. I just want to be able to meet all the great people of the past such as the prophets and philosophers whether it be Aquinas, Rumi, Imam Ghazali, and so forth.
This post was last modified: 08-07-2015, 03:06 PM by Kung Fu.

Prophet Muhammad (SallAllahu alaihi wasalam) said:

"My similitude and that of the life of this world is that of a traveler who took a rest at mid-day under a shade of a tree and then left it."       (Ahmad, at-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah and al-Hakim)

The following 4 users Like Kung Fu's post:
  • celle76, Tarikko, The Creeper, Loki

08-07-2015, 04:36 PM #3
Todd
Chaplain
Here is my current understanding, subject to change of course. 

When Christ returns all the believers who have died will be raised up to meet Christ and begin the work of the millenial reign.  This will be a period on earth where Christ will take his place as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.  The people who are still alive at Christ's coming will still pro-create and continue to populate the Earth and the risen saints will join Christ in the work of teaching and governing the inhabitants of earth during the millenial reign.  After the millenial reign Satan will be loosed one final time in an attempt to deceive the nations once more, but Christ will defeat Satan for good.  Next all the unbelievers will be raised from the dead and everyone will stand before God in the white throne judgement.  At the same time the glorious city of Zion will descend from heaven to earth. 

Those who's names are written in the lamb's book of life will enter the City.  Those whose name are not in the book of the lamb will enter an age of correction and purification in the Lake of Fire.  Fire represents God's cleansing and purification so I'm not convinced it's literal fire but a trial of sorts to cleanse all humanity of sin.  Though not eternal torment,  I'm pretty sure it's still not going to be pleasant.  There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.  

The saints will inhabit the city and cry out to those outside of the city who will be the unbelievers coming out of the Lake of fire.  The Bride of Christ will invite those coming out of the lake of fire who will be very thirsty to come drink from the waters of life from the river that will flow from God's throne.   Everyone will wash their robs in the water and then enter the gates of the city and partake of the tree of life.  

There will be no need for the sun, as the light of Christ will illuminate everything and there will be no night.  There will be no more curses, no more tears.  The tree of life will bear twelve crops of fruit and the leaves of the tree will be for the healing of all the nations (i.e. everybody). Not only will everyone be reconciled to God, but every human being will be reconciled with everyone else also. What happens beyond that I'm looking forward to finding out, as the Bible does not describe anything after that.  I'm guessing it's going to be a the greatest party ever though, after the last person comes out of the lake of fire and bows his knee and confesses Christ as Lord!
This post was last modified: 08-07-2015, 04:39 PM by Todd.

Then shall the king say to those on his right hand, Come ye, the blessed of my Father, inherit the reign that hath been prepared for you from the foundation of the world;

And the king answering, shall say to them, Verily I say to you, Inasmuch as ye did to one of these my brethren -- the least -- to me ye did
The following 2 users Like Todd's post:
  • Loki, The Creeper

08-07-2015, 05:29 PM #4
Loki
Chaplain
(08-07-2015, 04:36 PM)Todd Wrote:  Here is my current understanding, subject to change of course. 

When Christ returns all the believers who have died will be raised up to meet Christ and begin the work of the millenial reign.  This will be a period on earth where Christ will take his place as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.  The people who are still alive at Christ's coming will still pro-create and continue to populate the Earth and the risen saints will join Christ in the work of teaching and governing the inhabitants of earth during the millenial reign.  After the millenial reign Satan will be loosed one final time in an attempt to deceive the nations once more, but Christ will defeat Satan for good.  Next all the unbelievers will be raised from the dead and everyone will stand before God in the white throne judgement.  At the same time the glorious city of Zion will descend from heaven to earth. 

Those who's names are written in the lamb's book of life will enter the City.  Those whose name are not in the book of the lamb will enter an age of correction and purification in the Lake of Fire.  Fire represents God's cleansing and purification so I'm not convinced it's literal fire but a trial of sorts to cleanse all humanity of sin.  Though not eternal torment,  I'm pretty sure it's still not going to be pleasant.  There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.  

The saints will inhabit the city and cry out to those outside of the city who will be the unbelievers coming out of the Lake of fire.  The Bride of Christ will invite those coming out of the lake of fire who will be very thirsty to come drink from the waters of life from the river that will flow from God's throne.   Everyone will wash their robs in the water and then enter the gates of the city and partake of the tree of life.  

There will be no need for the sun, as the light of Christ will illuminate everything and there will be no night.  There will be no more curses, no more tears.  The tree of life will bear twelve crops of fruit and the leaves of the tree will be for the healing of all the nations (i.e. everybody).  Not only will everyone be reconciled to God, but every human being will be reconciled with everyone else also.  What happens beyond that I'm looking forward to finding out, as the Bible does not describe anything after that.  I'm guessing it's going to be a the greatest party ever though, after the last person comes out of the lake of fire and bows his knee and confesses Christ as Lord!

Very interesting thoughts, and even though I'd definitely be in that Lake of Fire I imagine it doesn't sound like a bad way for things to go. If you don't mind my asking though, what do you think will happen in between the time you are dead and Christ returning? Do you think you experience any afterlife in that time, or do you think the lights go out and the next thing you know you are waking up with Jesus?

“Life is neither good or evil, but only a place for good and evil.”
Marcus Aurelius

"In my opinion, there is a more scientific approach we can take to all hot-button issues. We do this when we stop demonizing the opposing viewpoints or victimizing ourselves, and we acknowledge and account for our own biases and emotions to the best of our ability."
--- Elliott C. Morgan
The following 1 user Likes Loki's post:
  • The Creeper

08-07-2015, 05:47 PM #5
The Creeper
Chaplain
Interesting thread man, iv always imagined that after I have died it will be very similar to how things were before I was born, but I can't remember what that was like...

I have actually had this dream/nightmare where I die and then I think to myself "Im free at last!" and then I fly to the edge of the universe, but before I get past the edge, a great hand grabs me and pulls me back. I scream "nooooooo!" and then my scream turns into the cry of a newborn baby.

Thank God that reincarnation isn't actually a thing (at least, I hope not)

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool – William Shakespear
The following 1 user Likes The Creeper's post:
  • Loki

08-07-2015, 06:48 PM #6
Todd
Chaplain
P
(08-07-2015, 05:29 PM)Loki Wrote:  Very interesting thoughts, and even though I'd definitely be in that Lake of Fire I imagine it doesn't sound like a bad way for things to go. If you don't mind my asking though, what do you think will happen in between the time you are dead and Christ returning? Do you think you experience any afterlife in that time, or do you think the lights go out and the next thing you know you are waking up with Jesus?

Yep, we "sleep" until the resurrection.  I agree with you, it really does work out pretty good for everyone once it's all said and done.  That's why the Christian message is called the gospel, which means Good News!

Then shall the king say to those on his right hand, Come ye, the blessed of my Father, inherit the reign that hath been prepared for you from the foundation of the world;

And the king answering, shall say to them, Verily I say to you, Inasmuch as ye did to one of these my brethren -- the least -- to me ye did
The following 1 user Likes Todd's post:
  • The Creeper

08-07-2015, 07:32 PM #7
celle76
Justiciar
@loki

This is the most detailed series you can get about the subject...a 22 part series all from Quran and Hadith (traditions of Prophet Muhammad, peace a blessings be with him). So there is no interpretations. In this series, the Imam vividly portrays the different phases the human soul passes through during its lifetime up to its death as well as the process of judgment of souls and the resulting eternal life in Heaven or Hell in the Hereafter. In breathtaking style the listener hears of the events that occur just before death and the events that come after it. The Imam gives a clear description about life in the grave, the horrors of the last day, the major and minor signs leading to the last hour and the day of resurrection. The Imam crowns this eloquently narrated lecture with the process of accountability and recompense. On the Day of Judgment those who pass the test will be rewarded with Paradise and those who fail will be rewarded with Hellfire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4m9nJLU...gMD8PES31V
The following 2 users Like celle76's post:
  • Tarikko, Kung Fu

08-07-2015, 09:49 PM #8
SheWatches
Justiciar
My spot o' Heaven when I go will be somewhere West of the Summerlands, East of the Happy Hunting Grounds, North of Vahalla & South of the Rainbow Bridge where I can visit all my friends & family from lives past, both animal & human.

How do they get the "m" on the M&M?
The following 1 user Likes SheWatches's post:
  • Loki

08-07-2015, 10:42 PM #9
khadeejah
Chaplain
(08-07-2015, 05:47 PM)The Creeper Wrote:  Interesting thread man, iv always imagined that after I have died it will be very similar to how things were before I was born, but I can't remember what that was like...I have actually had this dream/nightmare where I die and then I think to myself "Im free at last!" and then I fly to the edge of the universe, but before I get past the edge, a great hand grabs me and pulls me back. I scream "nooooooo!" and then my scream turns into the cry of a newborn baby.
Thank God that reincarnation isn't actually a thing (at least, I hope not)

My belief is that we go through four stages in our journey to the Hereafter,  Starting with death then life then death then life.  None of it involves reincarnation.  It is only our one God -given soul and only our one-God given body.   (Quran 2:28)

First stage:  Death:  It is "death"  because our souls existed but our bodies did not.  They were called to witness before our Creator that He is our Lord. All the souls testified to this and even though we don't remember it now, we are not left alone by our Creator.  He will give us signs and reminders throughout our lives.  (Quran 7:172, 174)

Second Stage:  First Life: This begins in our mothers' wombs where there are no sins and no rewards because we are not responsible yet. In all of that period there is no happiness or sadness because no one can feel it or remember it, it is out of our senses.    Our souls are joined with our bodies @40 days after conception. When we are born we are born on our  "fitrah" - our birthright, it is the inherent nature to acknowledge that God is our Creator.  When we become of age (puberty around 15 years old) we are responsible before our Lord.  This is when our life test begins - Do we remember our testification?  Have we stayed true to our fitrah?   Most do not, so God sent us Prophets and Messengers to remind us of our true purpose for being here.

Third Stage:  Last Death:  Soul leaves the body and body returns to the earth. The earthly body turns to dust,  everything but the tail bone (coccyx).  The Hereafter begins in the grave.  There is a life in the grave that we do not know about until we experience it (called Al-Barzakh)  so nobody can tell us about it because, well, everybody that experiences it is dead and won't come back to life until the Resurrection.   However, God tells us what happens there as an incentive for us to strive to stay true to our fitrah.

Fourth Stage:  Eternal Life:  Bodies are resurrected -  brought back to life from the coccyx bone (the tailbone contains the "primitive streak" - it is the place during fetal development from where all organs and tissues are formed).  Anyone nowadays who thinks that sounds crazy only needs to consider how scientists are able to clone life from DNA, (and to God belongs the highest description).  After the Resurrection is the Standing for Final Judgement then every person will take his place in one of two abodes:  Paradise or Hellfire.

I ask God to guide us all that we may find our eternal abode is Paradise, ameen.
This post was last modified: 08-08-2015, 12:17 AM by khadeejah.

The following 2 users Like khadeejah's post:
  • Tarikko, The Creeper

08-07-2015, 10:54 PM #10
Todd
Chaplain
(08-07-2015, 10:42 PM)khadeejah Wrote:  Third Stage:  Last Death:  Soul leaves the body and body returns to the earth. The earthly body turns to dust,  everything but the tail bone (coccyx).  The Hereafter begins in the grave.  There is a life in the grave that we do not know about until we experience it (called Al-Barzakh)  so nobody can tell us about because, well, everybody that experiences it is dead and won't come back to life until the Resurrection.   However, God tells us what happens there as an incentive for us to strive to stay true to our fitrah.

Fourth Stage:  Eternal Life:  Bodies are resurrected -  brought back to life from the coccyx bone (the tailbone contains the "primitive streak" - it is the place during fetal development from where all organs and tissues are formed).  Anyone nowadays who thinks that sounds crazy only needs to consider how scientists are able to clone life from DNA, (and to God belongs the highest description).  After the Resurrection is the Standing for Final Judgement then every person will take his place in one of two abodes:  Paradise or Hellfire.

I ask God to guide us all that we may find our eternal abode is Paradise, ameen.
So if I'm cremated at death, I can't be resurrected, because my coccyx is incinerated?