#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Are human beings just another animal?

08-02-2015, 07:31 PM #1
The Creeper
Chaplain
Personally, I think we are.

We have similar behaviours, reactions, instincts, organs, blood, bone strutures, communities, feelings. We have more things in common with other species than a lot of people are willing to admit. It might even be possible that animals have souls.

The main differences I see are that we have vastly superior technology and a complicated global society where we have all sold out to money men as part of some massive, world wide conspiracy.

Scratch that, the main difference between us and animals are that we don't live in harmony with nature/the Earth because of our arrogant belief in our own superiority, being made in the image of God and all that.

I hope I haven't offended anyone with this but I really don't understand where this superiority complex comes from. I can buy that we may have been put here to have guardianship over the planet, which requires dominion over all things, because clearly we do have that kind of capacity. I just don't see how that makes us so vastly different (and superior) to every other living thing on Earth.

What are these massive differences between human beings and animals that everyone talks about? I don't get it.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool – William Shakespear
The following 5 users Like The Creeper's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, Trenton, Goku, SheWatches, Islcastaway1986

08-03-2015, 12:53 AM #2
Mint05
Marshall
We are technically animals, yet, in comparison, we are too distinct from them to just simply be called animals.
The following 2 users Like Mint05's post:
  • SheWatches, cameronjcw

08-03-2015, 02:16 AM #3
cameronjcw
Justiciar
(08-03-2015, 12:53 AM)Mint05 Wrote:  We are technically animals, yet, in comparison, we are too distinct from them to just simply be called animals.

I agree a bit though animals only kill in defense or to eat as part of their human nature while humans will kill for no reason at all but both animals have the capacity to form relationships even if its more obviously instinct where in humans it seems to have more purpose but on a deeper level it has a lot more to do with instinct than it may appear, people are attracted to others with similar facial features, someone with good genetics to pass on to offspring and also judge women with bodies that are more suited to childbearing! So kinda makes you wonder, who is the real animal!?

Then theres the fact that we have domesticated some animals so much that they have us waiting on them hand and foot more than we would do for most other humans, so who are the smart ones there? lol
This post was last modified: 08-03-2015, 02:19 AM by cameronjcw.
The following 3 users Like cameronjcw's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, SheWatches, The Creeper

08-03-2015, 09:16 AM #4
Axiom
Marshall
Technically yes. We have basic animal instincts, wanting to eat when we're hungry, to propagate our genes with a suitable mate etc. but by reason of our Intellect we are set apart from "brutes" and have the capacity to choose how we act upon urges. For example we can choose to fast whereas animals cannot and studies have shown fasting to be beneficial. So I think we can choose to be human but we can also choose to be brutes. Also, humans are the only creatures that walk upright, reaching to the "heavens" as it were, and this is proof of our preeminence..
The following 2 users Like Axiom's post:
  • Tarikko, The Creeper

08-03-2015, 09:43 AM #5
FlixKandish
Chaplain
Yep, we are evolved mutated primates.
The following 1 user Likes FlixKandish's post:
  • sherekeewoman

08-03-2015, 09:54 AM #6
The Creeper
Chaplain
Posted by Mint05
We are technically animals, yet, in comparison, we are too distinct from them to just simply be called animals.

I simply don't see that much of a difference, I made this thread because I was hoping someone would explain it to me.

Posted by cameronjcw
I agree a bit though animals only kill in defense or to eat as part of their human nature while humans will kill for no reason at all but both animals have the capacity to form relationships even if its more obviously instinct where in humans it seems to have more purpose but on a deeper level it has a lot more to do with instinct than it may appear, people are attracted to others with similar facial features, someone with good genetics to pass on to offspring and also judge women with bodies that are more suited to childbearing! So kinda makes you wonder, who is the real animal!?

That is rather close to how I feel about things, sex (and by extension, relationships) are a simple biological function, there is nothing deep or magical about it. Most people just go with the flow (following their natural instincts) and rarely stop to think about it. Pidgeons and other birds get all romantic and stuff as well. On the killing, a fox will kill every chicken in a coup when it doesn't need to, which isn't all that different from us.

Then theres the fact that we have domesticated some animals so much that they have us waiting on them hand and foot more than we would do for most other humans, so who are the smart ones there? lol

It was mutually beneficial at first, still is in a lot of cases. But it is not unique to us, there are various different ant species that farm fungus, farm aphids and take slaves from other colonies.

Posted by Axiom
Technically yes. We have basic animal instincts, wanting to eat when we're hungry, to propagate our genes with a suitable mate etc. but by reason of our Intellect we are set apart from "brutes" and have the capacity to choose how we act upon urges. For example we can choose to fast whereas animals cannot and studies have shown fasting to be beneficial. So I think we can choose to be human but we can also choose to be brutes. Also, humans are the only creatures that walk upright, reaching to the "heavens" as it were, and this is proof of our preeminence..

Thanks Axiom, that actually helped a lot, esspecally the bit I bolded. On the standng upright thing I have to ask, what about penguins?

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool – William Shakespear
The following 1 user Likes The Creeper's post:
  • Thy Unveiling

08-03-2015, 01:30 PM #7
Mint05
Marshall
(08-03-2015, 09:54 AM)The Creeper Wrote:  I simply don't see that much of a difference, I made this thread because I was hoping someone would explain it to me.
If I was an alien in a starship observing humans, I wouldn't think of placing humans in the same group as animals. Human kingdom is too powerful and Its just not a honourable thing to simple call humans for animals. Its kind of like comparing elephants with bacterias. But technically I would put them into the animal group.
This post was last modified: 08-03-2015, 01:46 PM by Mint05.

08-03-2015, 02:07 PM #8
MoroccanEyes
Marshall
Yes, we're animals. More advance I don't know? A ant, can build a fortress. We just have a different purpose, but we're just animals. We have very similar organs.
The following 2 users Like MoroccanEyes's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, The Creeper

08-04-2015, 04:37 AM #9
Axiom
Marshall
(08-03-2015, 09:54 AM)The Creeper Wrote:  On the standng upright thing I have to ask, what about penguins?
I'll grant you that I did not think of penguins but isn't it interesting that penguins are closer to humans in that regard than our supposed "primate cousins"? At the same time, penguins do not have the same versatility as other walking animals, they can't change hip orientation and have a tail for balancing. Ultimately, man gave names to every animal and that's good enough evidence for me that we are not "just" animals.

08-04-2015, 04:48 AM #10
Emerald
Chaplain
Humans are animals, wow, what a relevation, what news!

People who surrender their former religious beliefs have got to be some of the smartest and bravest people in the world because they set out to find truth even while under the threat of "eternal damnations". George Carlin