#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
How do Christians of all sects view the OT/Torah?

08-02-2015, 11:33 AM #1
khadeejah
Chaplain
One Christian forum member mentioned that they do not consider the OT relative at all to the NT - they dismiss it all together.

Another Christian forum member mentioned that Ishmael and Isaac are allegorical,  something like one represents the old covenant and the other represents the new covenant (I don't remember the exact comparison).

If you are a Christian could you kindly explain how you view the OT and it's relation to the NT (if any).

Thank you in advance for your thoughtful replies.

The following 1 user Likes khadeejah's post:
  • Gorilla

08-02-2015, 11:50 AM #2
KeepOnRolling
Knight
(08-02-2015, 11:33 AM)khadeejah Wrote:  One Christian forum member mentioned that they do not consider the OT relative at all to the NT - they dismiss it all together.

Another Christian forum member mentioned that Ishmael and Isaac are allegorical,  something like one represents the old covenant and the other represents the new covenant (I don't remember the exact comparison).

If you are a Christian could you kindly explain how you view the OT and it's relation to the NT (if any).

You are going to get a ton of different answers on this one. I for one think we have to take the bible as a whole. God and his rules do not change. I don't think Jesus/Yahusha came to abolish them. "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." Some of the laws you obviously can't keep in this day, but I think things like eating unclean foods and keeping the sabbath still apply. Most modern christian do actually somewhat keep the sabbath knowingly or not but they do it on sunday due to the catholic church changing the day. That's why you have mass on sunday now.
This post was last modified: 08-02-2015, 11:53 AM by KeepOnRolling.

08-02-2015, 02:53 PM #3
DarkStar
Marshall
Quote:If you are a Christian could you kindly explain how you view the OT and it's relation to the NT (if any).

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

The (theios = EL) Torah??? or El Toro?? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

08-02-2015, 02:58 PM #4
Tarikko
Chaplain
Darkstar,

Whenever I read any of your posts I lose some brain cells.

Seems you hitting the bong way too often.

Maybe consider staying out of sister Khadijah's threads.

Peace
This post was last modified: 08-02-2015, 02:59 PM by Tarikko.

“The lies (Western slander) which well-meaning zeal has heaped round this man (Muhammad) are disgraceful to ourselves only.”

― Thomas Carlyle, On Heroes, Hero Worship and the Heroic in History

The following 3 users Like Tarikko's post:
  • Smooch, Goku, Vytas

08-02-2015, 03:00 PM #5
DarkStar
Marshall
(08-02-2015, 02:58 PM)Tarikko Wrote:  Darkstar,

Whenever I read any of your posts I lose some brain cells.

Seems you hitting the bong too often.

Maybe stay out of sister Khadijah's threads.

LOLOLOLOLOL SUCH A LAME EXCUSE.... Completely pathetic you resort to personal attacks and I know why.. because you can't prove non of it wrong.

08-02-2015, 03:05 PM #6
Axiom
Marshall
The Old Testament/Covenant is a prefiguration of the Incarnation of Eternal Son of God.
The following 1 user Likes Axiom's post:
  • X-Maverick

08-02-2015, 03:12 PM #7
DarkStar
Marshall
Yes the Covenant ... being pulled by TWO BULLS LOLOLOL

This shit is hilarious ... everyone with their religious blinders on.

08-02-2015, 03:25 PM #8
Vytas
Justiciar
(08-02-2015, 11:33 AM)khadeejah Wrote:  One Christian forum member mentioned that they do not consider the OT relative at all to the NT - they dismiss it all together.

From what i read from you, should have pretty strong opinion yourself, since you know Bible really well Wink
Ichmael and Isaac can be related as as alegorical and must be, since some blesings and prophesy is involved. Just in case anyone forgets promises and blessings to Abraham is valid for both of them too.
Old covenant represent torah, and new Christ dying on cross for our sins...We wouldn't in need of any saving if old covenant wouldn't show us where are we wrong...One didn't negate another, rather enforce...If some chrisitian said he doesn't consider OT relative at all he is pretending to be christian...
This post was last modified: 08-02-2015, 03:44 PM by Vytas.

Truth is precious it's guarded by God

08-02-2015, 03:40 PM #9
Serveto
Justiciar
(08-02-2015, 11:50 AM)KeepOnRolling Wrote:  You are going to get a ton of different answers on this one.

I agree with KeepOnRolling's statement here.  You will get many and varied responses.  It seems to me that the relation between the Law and the Gospel is at best highly ambiguous and that the scriptures themselves cause rather than cure that ambiguity.  The issues, in other words, were perhaps never clearly settled by the apostles themselves.

In the ante-Nicene period of Christianity, soon after the era of the apostles, opposite reactions to the Law can be seen in the Ebionites, on the one hand, who were predominantly Jewish "Christians" who held fast to and observed the precepts of the law, and the Marcionites, on the other hand, staunch Greeks also known as Hellenes who altogether repudiated the Law in favor of the Gospel (and then, not all four gospels, but only parts of St. Luke's version, given that it was comparatively free of Jewish influence).  Both movements were later considered heretical and the Catholics, who were developing doctrines and creeds, settled for an at times uneasy compromise between the two extremes.

KeepOnRolling rightly quoted this key verse: "Do not think that I [Jesus] have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."  To me, this statement, like many others in Christianity, is full of irony. The best proof that Jesus abolished the Law is New Testament Christianity itself; paradoxically, that is also the best proof that he fulfilled it.

Serv
The following 1 user Likes Serveto's post:
  • Gorilla

08-02-2015, 03:45 PM #10
Vytas
Justiciar
(08-02-2015, 03:40 PM)Serveto Wrote:  
(08-02-2015, 11:50 AM)KeepOnRolling Wrote:  You are going to get a ton of different answers on this one.

I agree with KeepOnRolling's statement here.  You will get many and varied responses.  It seems to me that the relation between the Law and the Gospel is at best highly ambiguous and that the scriptures themselves cause rather than cure that ambiguity.  The issues, in other words, were perhaps never clearly settled by the apostles themselves.

what is not settled any example please?

Truth is precious it's guarded by God