#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Muslims manner of prayer and Biblical Prophets manner of prayer

08-01-2015, 02:34 PM #1
khadeejah
Chaplain
I didn’t write this myself, but the article below stands as sure proof that Muslims indeed worship Almighty God in the same manner as all the prophets, regardless what spektrall, axiom, daciple and other Christians claim.
-------

How Jesus and other Biblical Prophets PRAYED

Prayer in the Bible
A Look at the Physical Act of Prayer

Islam is not a new religion. Literally meaning “submission to the Will of God”, Islam is the only religion which is not named after a people, a place, or an individual. It is the religion of all of the prophets including Noah, Abraham, Moses, David, Jesus, and Muhammad (peace be upon them all), to name a few.

The Muslim practice of standing, bowing, kneeling, and prostrating in worship is not foreign to past traditions. While many Christians and Jews find images of Muslims in prayer to be peaceful or even awe-inspiring, some find the Muslim method of prayer to be odd.

When Muslims pray, they do so in a manner taught by Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), the Last Prophet sent by God and the only prophet sent to all of humanity. His words, his actions, and the events of which he approved or disapproved have all been preserved in numerous volumes, called Ahadith. It is important to note that these volumes are kept separate from the revealed word of God, the Qur’an.

It is from the Ahadith that Muslims derive their model for how to live, love, work, raise children, eat, give charity, greet each other, pray, etc. The point, here, is that after having received the command from God to pray, Muslims look to the example of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) to learn how to pray. Were Christians and Jews to look to the examples of the prophets (peace be upon them all) given in the Torah and the Gospel, then they would find themselves praying like Muslims.

Here’s proof.......

Genesis 17:1-4 And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the Lord appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me and be thou perfect. 2 And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly. 3 And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying, 4 As for Me, behold, My covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations.

Deuteronomy 5:6-9 I am the Lord thy God, which brought thee out of Egypt, from the house of bondage. 7 Thou shalt have none other gods before Me. 8 Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth: 9 Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them nor serve them...
The very fact that God is instructing people not to “bow down” to idols, means that bowing is a valid form of worship.

Psalm 95:6 O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the Lord our Maker.
Note that both bowing and kneeling are mentioned in Psalm 95:6, the very order in which Muslims perform them.

Deuteronomy 9:24-25 Ye have been rebellious against the Lord from the day that I knew you. 25 Thus I fell down before the Lord forty days and forty nights, as I fell down the first; because the Lord had said He would destroy you.

Revelations 7:11-12 And all the angels stood round about the throne, and about the elders and the four beasts, and fell before the throne on their faces, and worshipped God, 12 Saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen.

Joshua 7:6-7 And Joshua rent his clothes, and fell to the earth upon his face before the ark of the Lord until eventide, he and the elders of Israel, and put dust upon their heads. 7 And Joshua said, Alas, O Lord God, wherefore hast Thou at all brought this people over Jordan, to deliver us into the hand of the Amorites, to destroy us? Would to God we had been content, and dwelt on the other side of the Jordan!

Numbers 16:20-22 And the Lord spake unto Moses and Aaron, saying, 21 Separate yourselves from among this congregation, that I may consume them in a moment. 22 And they fell upon their faces, and said, O God, the God of spirits of all flesh, shall one man sin, and wilt Thou be wroth with the all of the congregation?

Numbers 20:6 And Moses and Aaron went from the presence of the assembly unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, and they fell upon their faces: and the glory of the Lord appeared unto them.

Thus far, we have read that Moses, Joshua, Aaron, and Abraham (peace be upon them all) worshiped the One True God through prostration and bowing. The angels did the same. And in Matthew 26:39 Prophet Jesus (peace be upon him) also puts his face to the ground in humility before God.

Matthew 26:36-39 Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called Gesthemane, and saith unto his disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder. 37 And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be very sorrowful and heavy. 38 Then saith he unto them, my soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death; tarry ye here, and watch with me. 39 And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as Thou Wilt.

We must realize that human beings chosen by God to bring God’s message are the best of human beings. To not follow their lead is illogical and arrogant. Bow down and prostrate to God and ask for guidance. It is God, alone, who can guide us.

And be steadfast in prayer;
Practice regular charity;
And bow down your heads
With those who bow down.
Holy Qur'an 2:45

Many first reactions to this information is that it is interesting, but not significant or important.  "Wow, I never realized that Jesus (peace be upon him) prayed with his face on the ground, as Muslims do. That's interesting, but who cares? The important part of prayer comes from the heart, not the act of bowing."

In one sense this is true.   AN important part of prayer is what comes from the heart......but that's not all.
   Islam (submission to God) is a way of life in all respects. As such, it does not divorce the physical act of submission from the submission of the heart. When Muslims pray, they do so in a manner taught by the prophets (peace be upon all of them). Prayer is an act of mind, body, and soul. Submission takes place in all of these realms.   [SOURCE]

-----------------------------------
Can any Christian deny this?   I think not.

The following 4 users Like khadeejah's post:
  • Scimitar, Vytas, celle76, Tarikko

08-01-2015, 02:39 PM #2
sPEktrall
Chaplain
I pray in diff ways.  There are times when I feel urgency over the thing I am seeking to pray for and do so prostate.  Most often though I just speak to God all throughout the day as if he was a really good friend or father, because he is.  When I am driving in my car, when I am at home...  I speak as if he is right next to me.  I dont believe we have to become too systematic in prayer, because when God created Adam and Eve in the garden he did so for the sake of fellowshiping and communing with them.  That is what entering into NT covenant with God is, relationship.

Prov 15:7 The lips of the wise disperse knowledge: but the heart of the foolish doeth not so.

08-01-2015, 03:37 PM #3
Hex
Wanderer
Prostration/bowing is a universally understood action referring to 'adoration'/'worship'/'respect' by many members of many different faiths outside of the Abrahamic framework. Yes, they prayed in similar ways, but I don't see how you made the leap from this to mean they were both referring to the same entity.

"We check and repress the divinity that stirs within us, to fall down and worship the divinity that is dead without us."
--  Henry David Thoreau, 1851

My Site: www.intelligentinfinity.net

08-01-2015, 03:43 PM #4
khadeejah
Chaplain
(08-01-2015, 02:39 PM)sPEktrall Wrote:  I pray in diff ways.  There are times when I feel urgency over the thing I am seeking to pray for and do so prostate.  Most often though I just speak to God all throughout the day as if he was a really good friend or father, because he is.  When I am driving in my car, when I am at home...  I speak as if he is right next to me.  I dont believe we have to become too systematic in prayer, because when God created Adam and Eve in the garden he did so for the sake of fellowshiping and communing with them.  That is what entering into NT covenant with God is, relationship.

"When Muslims pray, they do so in a manner taught by the prophets (peace be upon all of them). Prayer is an act of mind, body, and soul. Submission takes place in all of these realms."

If you think praying like the prophets is too systematic then that's your problem not mine.  All Praise and thanks are for Almighty God who sent His prophets and messengers to mankind to teach us how to worship God in the manner that pleases Him.

08-01-2015, 03:44 PM #5
khadeejah
Chaplain
(08-01-2015, 03:37 PM)Hex Wrote:  . Yes, they prayed in similar ways, but I don't see how you made the leap from this to mean they were both referring to the same entity.
You don't make any sense.
This post was last modified: 08-01-2015, 03:45 PM by khadeejah.

The following 1 user Likes khadeejah's post:
  • Tarikko

08-01-2015, 03:46 PM #6
sPEktrall
Chaplain
(08-01-2015, 03:43 PM)khadeejah Wrote:  
(08-01-2015, 02:39 PM)sPEktrall Wrote:  I pray in diff ways.  There are times when I feel urgency over the thing I am seeking to pray for and do so prostate.  Most often though I just speak to God all throughout the day as if he was a really good friend or father, because he is.  When I am driving in my car, when I am at home...  I speak as if he is right next to me.  I dont believe we have to become too systematic in prayer, because when God created Adam and Eve in the garden he did so for the sake of fellowshiping and communing with them.  That is what entering into NT covenant with God is, relationship.

"When Muslims pray, they do so in a manner taught by the prophets (peace be upon all of them). Prayer is an act of mind, body, and soul. Submission takes place in all of these realms."

If you think praying like the prophets is too systematic then that's your problem not mine.  All Praise and thanks are for Almighty God who sent His prophets and messengers to mankind to teach us how to worship God in the manner that pleases Him.

The prophets never followed a formula though, but I will say they had deep reverence for God. I would also like to add that NT Christians are in different standing with God then the prophets.  We have been adopted as sons and daughters through what Christ did for us.  The prophets never had this incredible privilege.  I am told I can come boldly before the throne of grace.

Prov 15:7 The lips of the wise disperse knowledge: but the heart of the foolish doeth not so.
The following 1 user Likes sPEktrall's post:
  • Vytas

08-01-2015, 03:55 PM #7
celle76
Justiciar
@sPEktrall

I agree with your comment you remembering God throughout your day. We as muslims have the same concept. It is called Dhikr (in short rememberance of God internally and vocally).

Quote:Dhikr of Allah is the most excellent act of Allah's servants and is stressed over a hundred times in the Holy Qur'an. It is the most praiseworthy work to earn Allah's pleasure, the most effective weapon to overcome the enemy, and the most deserving of deeds in reward. It is the flag of Islam, the polish of hearts, the essence of the science of faith, the immunization against hypocrisy, the head of worship, and the key of all success.There are no restrictions on the modality, frequency, or timing of dhikr whatsoever

What my dear sister is saying is that there is a common factor of worship to the One True God throughout time and that common factor is prostration. Dhikr is a component of salat.

“Indeed, I am Allah. There is nothing worthy of worship except Me, so worship Me and establish the Salah for My remembrance.” (Quran 20:14)

These are the words that Allah spoke to Musa (as), to Moses, and Allah reminds us of them again in the Qur’an. There is no doubt that the Salah, the established formal daily prayer, has always been a fundamental part of Allah’s religion, even before the last messenger Muhammad (saws). Allah says elsewhere in the Qur’an,

“And We certainly sent into every nation a messenger, [saying], "Worship Allah and avoid false gods." (Quran 16:36)

So why is the Salah so important? It’s simple. The Salah is so important because it is the precise way that Allah has instructed us to worship Him, and because worshipping Allah is the purpose of our creation, as Allah says,

“And I did not create the jinn and mankind except to worship Me.” (Qur’an 51:56)
The following 2 users Like celle76's post:
  • Kung Fu, Tarikko

08-01-2015, 03:57 PM #8
Hex
Wanderer
(08-01-2015, 03:44 PM)khadeejah Wrote:  
(08-01-2015, 03:37 PM)Hex Wrote:  . Yes, they prayed in similar ways, but I don't see how you made the leap from this to mean they were both referring to the same entity.
You don't make any sense.
Apologies. I will clarify.

The article posted exemplifies the similarity of the Prophets and Muslims now in the way they worship.

Now, what does the way they worship/method have to do with who they are worshipping? That was the intention of the thread right? Nod to the discussion in the other thread as to how Muslims and Christians worship the same God, which some Christians disagreed with.

"We check and repress the divinity that stirs within us, to fall down and worship the divinity that is dead without us."
--  Henry David Thoreau, 1851

My Site: www.intelligentinfinity.net

08-01-2015, 04:18 PM #9
khadeejah
Chaplain
(08-01-2015, 03:46 PM)sPEktrall Wrote:  The prophets never followed a formula though, but I will say they had deep reverence for God.

How do you know they didn't follow a formula? 

As for me, I shall call upon God, And the LORD will save me. 17Evening and morning and at noon, I will complain and murmur, And He will hear my voice. (psalms 55)

Now when Daniel knew that the document was signed, he entered his house (now in his roof chamber he had windows open toward Jerusalem); and he continued kneeling on his knees three times a day, praying and giving thanks before his God, as he had been doing previously.  (daniel 66:10)

And from the Qumran Scrolls:

"I will praise Thy works with songs of Thanksgiving continually, from period to period, in the circuits of the day, and in its fixed order; with the coming of light from its source (1) and at the turn of evening (2) and the outgoing of light,(3) at the outgoing of darkness (4) and the coming in of day,(5) continually, in all the generations of time."

Five times a day, just like we Muslims do.   And didn't you read -
Psalm 95:6 O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the Lord our Maker.
Note that both bowing and kneeling are mentioned in Psalm 95:6, the very order in which Muslims perform them.

(08-01-2015, 03:46 PM)sPEktrall Wrote:  I would also like to add that NT Christians are in different standing with God then the prophets.  We have been adopted as sons and daughters through what Christ did for us.  The prophets never had this incredible privilege.  I am told I can come boldly before the throne of grace.

Wow.  You put yourself over the best of mankind. I fear that if you continue down this path, these verses will be proof against you:

Once the head of the house gets up and shuts the door, and you begin to stand outside and knock on the door, saying, 'Lord, open up to us!' then He will answer and say to you, 'I do not know where you are from.' 26"Then you will begin to say, 'We ate and drank in Your presence, and You taught in our streets'; 27and He will say, 'I tell you, I do not know where you are from; DEPART FROM ME, ALL YOU EVILDOERS.'  28"In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but yourselves being thrown out.…

08-01-2015, 04:44 PM #10
sPEktrall
Chaplain
Look, I dont desire to quarrel here.  Pray as you will then.  I have found just going and speaking to God as a father or really good friend very rewarding.  There is def the presence and peace of God in such doings...  Jesus didnt come to impose regulations for worship and religion, he came to make it possible for us to have fellowship with God as Adam and Eve did in the garden.