#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums

Star Trek

07-31-2015, 10:14 PM #1
Any Star Trek fans around here? I love that the show is based on a utopian future. That mankind got over all of this war and greed garbage and is on to exploring new worlds.

08-01-2015, 01:35 AM #2
I am! I love Star Trek--the original series (TOS), the Next Gen (TNG) and spinoffs, the new movies--it's all good! 

The only complaint I've ever had is when they did "Enterprise" it turned into The Tripp Show and every other episode was about him hooking up with the blonde Vulcan chick (so lame.)

It was/is wonderful to see those thoughtfully written stories, and with those complex characters, the concepts they dealt with (both scientific and philosophical), the cooperation and refusal to resort to violence at the earliest opportunity; it was like an ongoing example on how to be Better, as opposed to all the other tv programs that delight in showing people at their worst.
The following 3 users Like SunshineMama's post:
  • Smooch, Thy Unveiling, Islcastaway1986

08-01-2015, 05:50 AM #3
Thy Unveiling
I love the episode where Picard is trying to convince a primitive being that he (Picard) is not God, but the harder he tries, the more it backfires.

The one where 7 of 9 is entrusted to run things while the rest of her crew is in pods (of sorts) was a mind trip yet I often felt like that myself. She loses grip on reality from having spent so much time in her own head, not interacting with others.

Although I know Star Trek has secretly sinister motives, I still find it brilliant. I didn't like Enterprise either. I don't think many Trekkie's did.
The following 1 user Likes Thy Unveiling's post:
  • Islcastaway1986

08-02-2015, 01:59 AM #4
Just throwing in my Stark Trek nerd badge. First movie I ever saw was Star Trek the movie. I was six months old Big Grin Cut my teeth on everything Trek I could watch from childhood on.

"The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something you know nothing about and refuse to investigate."
The following 1 user Likes Smooch's post:
  • Islcastaway1986

08-02-2015, 11:59 AM #5
The Creeper
I have been a trekkie since childhood, before I became aware of the symbolism and occult themes it contained, and I have to admit, I still enjoy watching it sometimes. I agree that Enterprise (with the guy from Quantum leap) was pretty weak compared to earlier series, I didn't think much of Deep Space Nine either.

Live long and prosper guys.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool – William Shakespear
The following 2 users Like The Creeper's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, Islcastaway1986

08-02-2015, 12:29 PM #6
TNG is my favorite of all the series. My circle of friends in college used to get together to watch. My father loved TOS. In fact, the only times my family went to the movies together were for the early Trek films and the first SW trilogy.

Quantum Leap was my show, however. Never missed an episode, which is a feat considering how the network scheduled it all over the place. Funny, though, I couldn't get into Enterprise even though Scott Bakula was the lead.
The following 1 user Likes DiscoStu's post:
  • Islcastaway1986

08-02-2015, 12:46 PM #7
love star trek. even the new movies though they're not as strong as the older ones.

grew up seeing all those series.

don't care for enterprise. digged the hot vulcan but it wore hard.
deep space nine never raised my interest.
voyager was ok, but i couldn't really like that too much.

i love the movies, too. a bit sad that picard/data were ditched for the new movies, but i can
imagine that TNG crew was kinda losing their interest span.

over the tv series i have to pick TNG over TOS.
regarding the movies i don't know. just a month ago i actually watched ALL movies from the first to the last.
i like them all, and i put them in their relative time positions, too.

I think Nemesis and First Contact were one of the very best. Generations was cool, but i was a bit sad that Kirk
got this ending. Though it fit perfectly with his former statement that he believed he'll die alone, not with his crew.
And that's exactly what happened, sadly enough.

Curious about the upcoming one.

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout ‘Save us!’ And I'll whisper ‘No
The following 1 user Likes Riddler's post:
  • Islcastaway1986

08-02-2015, 06:34 PM #8
I came to appreciate ST late.  It was actually the movie Star Trek IV The Voyage Home -yes the one with the whales- that got me into seeing the rest of the series & all its manifestations.  TVH was a sort of valentine to San Francisco.

How do they get the "m" on the M&M?

08-02-2015, 10:29 PM #9
If I had a favorite of the TNG films, I'd pick First Contact. It played out like a theatrical production. Generations was okay, but I detected a lot of over the top acting in that one.

The last two TNGs, to me, could easily have aired as two-part episodes of the show.

To this day I have yet to watch any of the Abrams' reboots. Heart's not in it.