#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Question for Non Christians

07-22-2015, 04:24 PM #1
sPEktrall
Chaplain
Questions for Non Christians

So I have a few questions for non Christians.  Are you under the impression that the world is supposed to like, be tolerant of, and receive Biblical Christianity?  Are you under the impression that the world is supposed to like Christians and their message?  If so, can you show me in the Bible where it says that...

I'm honestly not trying to come off as rude and condescending, I make my best efforts to be at peace with all men without compromising the gospel and repaying insult with insult(though I can post meme's with a sense of humor from time to time), but why do so many act as if Christians are supposed to be likable?  Why do Christians think the world is supposed to embrace them?     
This post was last modified: 07-22-2015, 04:25 PM by sPEktrall.

Prov 15:7 The lips of the wise disperse knowledge: but the heart of the foolish doeth not so.

07-22-2015, 04:40 PM #2
FlixKandish
Chaplain
Are you saying that it's okay for Christians not to be likeable? Cause that opens up a whole can of intolerant worms right there lol

07-22-2015, 04:52 PM #3
TonyVanDam
Justiciar
Actually, I'm under the impression that most Christians wants a social feud with non-Christians more than the other way around.

(07-22-2015, 04:40 PM)FlixKandish Wrote:  Are you saying that it's okay for Christians not to be likeable? Cause that opens up a whole can of intolerant worms right there lol

OR worse yet, is it OK for agnostics & atheists to be treated like crap by Christians?
This post was last modified: 07-22-2015, 04:53 PM by TonyVanDam.
The following 1 user Likes TonyVanDam's post:
  • Todd

07-22-2015, 04:56 PM #4
FlixKandish
Chaplain
Well, if they're not supposed to be likeable, then I guess it's okay! *clowny face*

07-22-2015, 05:01 PM #5
Todd
Chaplain
The scriptures that I know that promise Christians will suffer persecution in the world, are pretty clear that Christians will be persecuted because of belief and faith in Christ...not because they are un-likeable.  I don't think it's an excuse to come across as rude or condescending to non-Christians.

Matthew 25:30-40 describes how Jesus expected Christians to treat the rest of the world.   Feed the hungry, take care of the sick, visit those in prison, clothe the naked. His description appears to me to be of very likeable people.  Maybe a lot of Christians have lost sight of this?  Sure, there are a lot of Christian Charity organizations, but what happened to individuals helping individuals?  Love your neighbor, not give money to some charity to help someone half way around the world?

Though I debate and enter discussions on this forum and others, I have no illusion that I will likely ever convince somebody to become a Christian through it.  If anything it's for my own edification as it makes me truly re-evaluate what I believe and why I believe it.

My efforts to lead others to Christ are through helping individuals and meeting real needs in their lives.  I never do it with strings attached either.  I share my faith, it's up to the individual what they do with it. My help is never dependent on them "converting" or "accepting Christ".

Then shall the king say to those on his right hand, Come ye, the blessed of my Father, inherit the reign that hath been prepared for you from the foundation of the world;

And the king answering, shall say to them, Verily I say to you, Inasmuch as ye did to one of these my brethren -- the least -- to me ye did
The following 1 user Likes Todd's post:
  • Autumnlowe

07-22-2015, 05:08 PM #6
cameronjcw
Justiciar
There are probably as many non christians who will feed the hungry, take care of the sick, visit people in prison etc as there are christian's who abuse, murder, take advantage, steal etc and are not very likeable people.

You don't have to be a christian or a muslim or any other religion to have morals or be a good person or anything else that a christian, muslim etc would do!

I actually feel its a bit of a shame that some people feel the need of a religion to somehow define themselves as a good person! Great if that religion helps you but its not a magical label that automatically makes you a good person just the same as the misconception that all disabled people are good or nice!
The following 4 users Like cameronjcw's post:
  • AnswersISeek, Autumnlowe, Goku, Todd

07-22-2015, 05:13 PM #7
TonyVanDam
Justiciar
I can give one example of a likeable Christian in TWO WORDS:

Amy Grant Cool

07-22-2015, 06:04 PM #8
sPEktrall
Chaplain
(07-22-2015, 05:08 PM)cameronjcw Wrote:  There are probably as many non christians who will feed the hungry, take care of the sick, visit people in prison etc as there are christian's who abuse, murder, take advantage, steal etc and are not very likeable people.

You don't have to be a christian or a muslim or any other religion to have morals or be a good person or anything else that a christian, muslim etc would do!  

I actually feel its a bit of a shame that some people feel the need of a religion to somehow define themselves as a good person!  Great if that religion helps you but its not a magical label that automatically makes you a good person just the same as the misconception that all disabled people are good or nice!

Good fruits will come from any true bond-servant of Christ that yields himself to the holy spirit, but when people err is when they think its about being moral.  You have broken the holy law of God and by his very nature he cannot overlook a transgression without enforcing its just penalty.  Moral reform isn't enough, because your transgression is already permanently on record.  God has a perfect memory and remembers something you did ten years ago as if it was yesterday.  When you are brought before the great white throne he will open the record books and see you as guilty, and, because he is just and not a corrupt judge he cannot let you off the hook without enforcing the just penalty for that specific transgression.  God is the sum of all moral excellency, he is perfect, without blemish, the embodiment of unadulterated purity...  It is, because of this that your righteousness as as filthy rags to him.  

Jesus paid the penalty that was rightfully due to you as a transgressor of his holy law, he stood in the court and received the sentence that was justly yours.  Its like you standing in court guilty of life in prison and some man walks in and offers to take your sentence upon himself.  

If you die without Christ then you die in your sin and God will be forced to carry out the sentence against you.  If an earthly judge must enforce the just penalties for criminals when they break the law, then think of how much more a God of perfect uprightness must.

(07-22-2015, 04:40 PM)FlixKandish Wrote:  Are you saying that it's okay for Christians not to be likeable? Cause that opens up a whole can of intolerant worms right there lol

If they obey the Bible like they are called to then they wont be liked.
This post was last modified: 07-22-2015, 06:07 PM by sPEktrall.

Prov 15:7 The lips of the wise disperse knowledge: but the heart of the foolish doeth not so.

07-23-2015, 07:41 AM #9
Todd
Chaplain
(07-22-2015, 06:04 PM)sPEktrall Wrote:  If they obey the Bible like they are called to then they wont be liked.

Sorry, I don't get it.  Jesus was very well liked by the common person....it was the religious leaders that persecuted him.  I don't see loving Biblical Christian's being persecuted by normal, everyday people.  Biblical, loving, respectful Christian's are only persecuted by religious and political leaders/activists with agenda's.  Normal, everyday people only hate Christian's who are judgmental, hypocritical and condescending.

Then shall the king say to those on his right hand, Come ye, the blessed of my Father, inherit the reign that hath been prepared for you from the foundation of the world;

And the king answering, shall say to them, Verily I say to you, Inasmuch as ye did to one of these my brethren -- the least -- to me ye did
The following 3 users Like Todd's post:
  • Autumnlowe, FlixKandish, Loki

07-23-2015, 07:51 AM #10
Hex
Wanderer
No, no-one needs to be likeable. There shouldn't be an expectation to conform to the ideals of another.

However, I find that one who has touched what may loosely be called 'truth' tend to radiate a certain likeable attraction to others. It is the natural byproduct of living a way of life and having a mode of thinking that resounds deep within others. Less distorted versions of 'truth' will by their nature attract those who legitimately seek, and will be repelled by that which has more distortion (namely limiting beliefs, fear, dogma etc).

"We check and repress the divinity that stirs within us, to fall down and worship the divinity that is dead without us."
--  Henry David Thoreau, 1851

My Site: www.intelligentinfinity.net

The following 4 users Like Hex's post:
  • novam terram, Todd, Goku, Loki