#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Capital punishment - right or wrong?

07-22-2015, 08:27 AM #1
Briandao
Chaplain
This is an old topic in society that divides people.

As far as I know, USA is the only country in the western parts of the world that still executes people.

I myself am against it, not just because you risk killing an innocent person, but the fact that you kill a person for killing a person - pure hypocrisy.

If you rape someone and get convicted, you wouldn't be sentenced to being raped, you would most likely end up in jail.

To me, capital punishment is a way for bloodthursty people to get some kind of "revenge".

In many cases, it is indeed a CAPITAL punishment since the better the lawyer you can afford, the softer the sentence will be.

I know, it's nothing new, but it's worth talking about as long as it is being practiced.

"I ain't 'tryina' preach, I believe I can reach but your mind ain't prepared, I see you when you get there" - Coolio
The following 4 users Like Briandao's post:
  • The Creeper, umphreak, Loki, Gorilla

07-22-2015, 09:26 AM #2
Annonymous Damsel
Marshall
(07-22-2015, 08:27 AM)Briandao Wrote:  This is an old topic in society that divides people.

As far as I know, USA is the only country in the western parts of the world that still executes people.

I myself am against it, not just because you risk killing an innocent person, but the fact that you kill a person for killing a person - pure hypocrisy.

If you rape someone and get convicted, you wouldn't be sentenced to being raped, you would most likely end up in jail.

To me, capital punishment is a way for bloodthursty people to get some kind of "revenge".

In many cases, it is indeed a CAPITAL punishment since the better the lawyer you can afford, the softer the sentence will be.

I know, it's nothing new, but it's worth talking about as long as it is being practiced.

But what about the countries with high crime rates? Undecided

07-22-2015, 09:46 AM #3
Todd
Chaplain
If the US truly had a prison system that had the goal of "rehabilitating" inmates so they could return to society than I would say no to Capital punishment.  However, if you are going to lock somebody up and throw away the key, with no chance of ever returning to society, what is the point of keeping them alive?

Then shall the king say to those on his right hand, Come ye, the blessed of my Father, inherit the reign that hath been prepared for you from the foundation of the world;

And the king answering, shall say to them, Verily I say to you, Inasmuch as ye did to one of these my brethren -- the least -- to me ye did
The following 2 users Like Todd's post:
  • The Creeper, Tarikko

07-22-2015, 10:20 AM #4
Briandao
Chaplain
(07-22-2015, 09:26 AM)Annonymous Damsel Wrote:  
(07-22-2015, 08:27 AM)Briandao Wrote:  This is an old topic in society that divides people.

But what about the countries with high crime rates? Undecided

What do you mean?

(07-22-2015, 09:46 AM)Todd Wrote:  If the US truly had a prison system that had the goal of "rehabilitating" inmates so they could return to society than I would say no to Capital punishment.  However, if you are going to lock somebody up and throw away the key, with no chance of ever returning to society, what is the point of keeping them alive?

Well, it shouldn't be someone else's choice whether another person lives or dies.
This post was last modified: 07-22-2015, 10:21 AM by Briandao.

"I ain't 'tryina' preach, I believe I can reach but your mind ain't prepared, I see you when you get there" - Coolio
The following 2 users Like Briandao's post:
  • Islcastaway1986, Loki

07-22-2015, 11:27 AM #5
Todd
Chaplain
(07-22-2015, 10:20 AM)Briandao Wrote:  Well, it shouldn't be someone else's choice whether another person lives or dies.

But if someone chooses for someone else to die (i.e. murder), should they be ale to keep the choice for themselves?  Just saying....

Then shall the king say to those on his right hand, Come ye, the blessed of my Father, inherit the reign that hath been prepared for you from the foundation of the world;

And the king answering, shall say to them, Verily I say to you, Inasmuch as ye did to one of these my brethren -- the least -- to me ye did

07-22-2015, 11:49 AM #6
Briandao
Chaplain
(07-22-2015, 11:27 AM)Todd Wrote:  
(07-22-2015, 10:20 AM)Briandao Wrote:  Well, it shouldn't be someone else's choice whether another person lives or dies.

But if someone chooses for someone else to die (i.e. murder), should they be ale to keep the choice for themselves?  Just saying....

Well, punishing a person in the same manner that got him/her sentenced in the first place because what they did was wrong... That's some really bad double standard if you ask me.

07-22-2015, 01:03 PM #7
All Creation
Marshall
I am very well aware of and very well understand both sides of this issue. I would only support the death penalty in a very limited number of cases. It should not just be handed out to anyone who has committed a serious crime. The biggest reason, of course, being the numerous cases where someone was sentenced for a serious crime, and then new evidence was found that proved that person innocent, that in fact someone else had committed the crime. With a life sentence, if something like that happens, you can overturn the sentence and release the person, compensating them if need be; you cannot undo an execution. That said, the only instances where I would support the death penalty (for crimes heinous enough to warrant it, like first-degree murder, a serial killer or serial rapist) are if all the evidence leaves absolutely no doubt of the person's guilt, the person is clearly unrepentant, even proud of their crimes (like a true sociopath/psychopath), they are extremely violent and dangerous, so that they threaten the safety of the general public, as well as other inmates, and even a maximum-security prison is no guarantee to hold them, where they could break out and resume their crimes, and there is absolutely no hope of rehabilitation.

I am reminded of something I heard years ago. I was never a fan of the shows, but my mother and sister used to be big fans of the Law & Order shows (the US versions, to avoid confusion if other countries have had shows with the same name). There was one particular episode they described years ago (I have not seen this episode; if anyone has and sees mistakes in the following description, feel free to correct me). Now this is a fictional case; it did not actually happen. The episode had a man whose son was killed by another kid in school. Initially, the man defended the killer, thinking that he had a rough life, was abused, etc., and had gotten angry and took out that anger on his son, and that, with some help, he could be put back on the right track. Later on, when the trial began, a description of the killing was read, and this kid started smiling and laughing, at which point the victim's father took out a gun and shot the kid to death. What had happened was that, once the kid started smiling and laughing, the man realized that the kid was in fact a psychopath, and if he was released back into society, he would most likely kill again, and become a serial killer. So, on the one hand, it is sad that this man killed a kid, but by doing so, he likely saved many lives down the road.
The following 3 users Like All Creation's post:
  • The Creeper, Loki, cameronjcw

07-22-2015, 01:49 PM #8
Briandao
Chaplain
(07-22-2015, 01:03 PM)All Creation Wrote:  I am very well aware of and very well understand both sides of this issue. I would only support the death penalty in a very limited number of cases. It should not just be handed out to anyone who has committed a serious crime. The biggest reason, of course, being the numerous cases where someone was sentenced for a serious crime, and then new evidence was found that proved that person innocent, that in fact someone else had committed the crime. With a life sentence, if something like that happens, you can overturn the sentence and release the person, compensating them if need be; you cannot undo an execution. That said, the only instances where I would support the death penalty (for crimes heinous enough to warrant it, like first-degree murder, a serial killer or serial rapist) are if all the evidence leaves absolutely no doubt of the person's guilt, the person is clearly unrepentant, even proud of their crimes (like a true sociopath/psychopath), they are extremely violent and dangerous, so that they threaten the safety of the general public, as well as other inmates, and even a maximum-security prison is no guarantee to hold them, where they could break out and resume their crimes, and there is absolutely no hope of rehabilitation.

I am reminded of something I heard years ago. I was never a fan of the shows, but my mother and sister used to be big fans of the Law & Order shows (the US versions, to avoid confusion if other countries have had shows with the same name). There was one particular episode they described years ago (I have not seen this episode; if anyone has and sees mistakes in the following description, feel free to correct me). Now this is a fictional case; it did not actually happen. The episode had a man whose son was killed by another kid in school. Initially, the man defended the killer, thinking that he had a rough life, was abused, etc., and had gotten angry and took out that anger on his son, and that, with some help, he could be put back on the right track. Later on, when the trial began, a description of the killing was read, and this kid started smiling and laughing, at which point the victim's father took out a gun and shot the kid to death. What had happened was that, once the kid started smiling and laughing, the man realized that the kid was in fact a psychopath, and if he was released back into society, he would most likely kill again, and become a serial killer. So, on the one hand, it is sad that this man killed a kid, but by doing so, he likely saved many lives down the road.

Yeah, I heard about a case a few years ago where this man was sentenced for a murder. He was in jail for 30 years I believe. 

DNA revealed that he was innocent. 

He was releases and received $100 as "compensation". 

If you ruin someone's life (they lose their life, family, job, house etc), you should secure their economy for the rest of their life and also give them a one-time amount of money that should be around $5M.

Just throwing someone away and then give them $100 for destroying their life is pure evil. 

Oh, and I don't care about "no, not my tax, I worked hard for that". You didn't lose a huge part of your life for something you didn't do.

(07-22-2015, 01:03 PM)All Creation Wrote:  I am very well aware of and very well understand both sides of this issue. I would only support the death penalty in a very limited number of cases. It should not just be handed out to anyone who has committed a serious crime. The biggest reason, of course, being the numerous cases where someone was sentenced for a serious crime, and then new evidence was found that proved that person innocent, that in fact someone else had committed the crime. With a life sentence, if something like that happens, you can overturn the sentence and release the person, compensating them if need be; you cannot undo an execution. That said, the only instances where I would support the death penalty (for crimes heinous enough to warrant it, like first-degree murder, a serial killer or serial rapist) are if all the evidence leaves absolutely no doubt of the person's guilt, the person is clearly unrepentant, even proud of their crimes (like a true sociopath/psychopath), they are extremely violent and dangerous, so that they threaten the safety of the general public, as well as other inmates, and even a maximum-security prison is no guarantee to hold them, where they could break out and resume their crimes, and there is absolutely no hope of rehabilitation.

That kid would probably suffer more by sitting in a tiny craper for the rest of his life. 

And for you, if you exist at this site, using the tax as an excuse to bitch, locking someone up for life is cheaper than sentencing someone to death.
This post was last modified: 07-22-2015, 02:29 PM by Briandao.

07-22-2015, 02:33 PM #9
Todd
Chaplain
(07-22-2015, 11:49 AM)Briandao Wrote:  

Well, punishing a person in the same manner that got him/her sentenced in the first place because what they did was wrong... That's some really bad double standard if you ask me.

Yeah, I see your point.  Do you think most people who are sentenced to Capital Punishment or Life Sentences are capable of being rehabilitated?

07-22-2015, 02:54 PM #10
Briandao
Chaplain
(07-22-2015, 02:33 PM)Todd Wrote:  
(07-22-2015, 11:49 AM)Briandao Wrote:  

Yeah, I see your point.  Do you think most people who are sentenced to Capital Punishment or Life Sentences are capable of being rehabilitated?

I have made way too little research on this topic to make a credible statement. But I believe a lot of them aren't monsters. 

Even though I think the "Scandinavian model" is a bit too soft, we do manage to re-enter a lot of them in society. We use treatment (still locked up though) instead of punishment. 

And our correctional institutions aren't privatized. Yet.