#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Buddhism

07-21-2015, 08:40 PM #1
Cerosilmel
Squire
Hello all,

I'm posting this since I couldn't find any thread on Buddhism on the religions section, but forgive me if I'm wrong!

Well, second reason for posting is because my life has been so completely changed for the better after finding the precious treasure of the Buddha's message that I'd like to share it for the benefit of others as well (if they have any interest, of course!).

As some must already know, Buddhism denies two common assumptions of the human mind about existence, the first being eternalism (i.e. I have an immortal soul that's my essence and will be forever), and the other being 

annihilationism (i.e. This self of mine ceases to be with the death of the body, there being no ultimate sense in morality and purity). In this sense it proposes a middle way between these so called extreme views.

It also teaches that existence is cyclic, without a first moment or beginning, consequently without a creator deity (or any deity to which one can pray to be helped). Beings transmigrate life after life blinded by ignorance and thirsting for sensual pleasures and states of being.

The modelling of all beings' lives results from their intentional acts of body, speech and mind (kamma or karma), with happiness resulting from good actions and grief/torment as a fruit of evil actions.

The main focus is on the mind and its conditioned workings, with a disciplined and well directed mind bringing happiness for one in the present and also in the coming existence(s). Actually, the whole of the Buddha's teaching (or Dhamma) is stress, the causes of stress, the cessation of stress and the way of practice leading to the cessation of all stress, the so called Four Noble (or Ennobling) Truths.

Well, it's been less than one year since I started practising it and the fruits are many and great, the human is really something powerful. There's much more to be discussed, should one be willing to.

May happiness follow us all everywhere.

At rest, may all beings be happy at heart.
The following 2 users Like Cerosilmel's post:
  • The Creeper, Bruh

07-21-2015, 09:17 PM #2
celle76
Justiciar
(07-21-2015, 08:40 PM)Cerosilmel Wrote:  Hello all,

I'm posting this since I couldn't find any thread on Buddhism on the religions section, but forgive me if I'm wrong!

Well, second reason for posting is because my life has been so completely changed for the better after finding the precious treasure of the Buddha's message that I'd like to share it for the benefit of others as well (if they have any interest, of course!).

As some must already know, Buddhism denies two common assumptions of the human mind about existence, the first being eternalism (i.e. I have an immortal soul that's my essence and will be forever), and the other being 

annihilationism (i.e. This self of mine ceases to be with the death of the body, there being no ultimate sense in morality and purity). In this sense it proposes a middle way between these so called extreme views.

It also teaches that existence is cyclic, without a first moment or beginning, consequently without a creator deity (or any deity to which one can pray to be helped). Beings transmigrate life after life blinded by ignorance and thirsting for sensual pleasures and states of being.

The modelling of all beings' lives results from their intentional acts of body, speech and mind (kamma or karma), with happiness resulting from good actions and grief/torment as a fruit of evil actions.

The main focus is on the mind and its conditioned workings, with a disciplined and well directed mind bringing happiness for one in the present and also in the coming existence(s). Actually, the whole of the Buddha's teaching (or Dhamma) is stress, the causes of stress, the cessation of stress and the way of practice leading to the cessation of all stress, the so called Four Noble (or Ennobling) Truths.

Well, it's been less than one year since I started practising it and the fruits are many and great, the human is really something powerful. There's much more to be discussed, should one be willing to.

Welcome!!! What is the purpose of your life, I mean a buddhist in general. Do you have a purpose? If you do not believe in a Creator, who or what do you focus on during meditation?

07-21-2015, 09:58 PM #3
Cerosilmel
Squire
(07-21-2015, 09:17 PM)celle76 Wrote:  
(07-21-2015, 08:40 PM)Cerosilmel Wrote:  Hello all,

Welcome!!! What is the purpose of your life, I mean a buddhist in general. Do you have a purpose? If you do not believe in a Creator, who or what do you focus on during meditation?

Hello celle76, thanks for the warm welcome!

The ultimate purpose of a buddhist is to  achieve nibbana or nirvana, a mental dimension where no stress whatsoever can be experienced. 
Since the goal is said to be difficult to attain, living life in ways that are conducive to awakening is advised, i.e. avoidance of any immoral action (lying, stealing, abusing, harming, intoxication etc.), constant purification of thoughts and intentions, awareness and mindfulness and other.
Many buddhists don't have awakening as a goal, though. Many (if not most) want to secure an easy and pleasant life here and after death. Nothing wrong with that, just not the most sublime goal for one born human.

As to objects of meditation, that are some recommended by the Buddha that help in freeing the mind, like universal and unrestricted goodwill (metta), universal compassion (karuna), joy for other beings' wellbeing (mudita) and equanimity (upekha), these are the sublime abidings or brahmaviharas.

Then there are the recollection of the Buddha, the Dhamma and the noble community of advanced disciples (Sangha) and their limitless merits, and the recollection of virtue. Another particularly advised object of meditation is the perception of the impermanece of all phenomena. And many other.

My particular purpose is to end suffering for myself and others, quite a difficult thing to do, but keeps me occupied =)

With metta!

07-22-2015, 08:00 AM #4
EnquiringMind
Squire
I am also Buddhist, although I would say my practice is quite eclectic.

My personal belief is that we are purposely trapped in the wheel of life, going from one incarnation to another. This is how we are kept enslaved.

I am interested in hearing your views on the topics discussed on VC.

07-22-2015, 10:15 AM #5
Cerosilmel
Squire
i
(07-22-2015, 08:00 AM)EnquiringMind Wrote:  I am also Buddhist, although I would say my practice is quite eclectic.

My personal belief is that we are purposely trapped in the wheel of life, going from one incarnation to another. This is how we are kept enslaved.

I am interested in hearing your views on the topics discussed on VC.

Hello EnquiringMind!

Good to see a fellow Buddhist around. By the way, I also see this cyclical existence, inexorable as it is, as a trap. I myself am a huge slave to my own craving.

As to VC, I was glad to see a brave person writing what has to be written about. Before VC, I was into a famous disinfo agent here in Brazil, he told many truths and concealed many others, it was eye-opening but still felt not quite true. One of his functions appears to be instilling fear and blaming the wrong people. So reading the articles here was like seeing what this all is actually about (although VC doesn't touch some aspects, but that's not his/her goals, it seems).

As to the elite, I can't but feel compassion for them, they're not shaping a bright future for themselves (we're talking about actions that could keep them in states of woe for long, according to Buddhist beliefs), besides their belief system strikes me as somewhat childish, to be honest. Could they just have an insight into impermanence and karma, much good would be done to billions, but they're too intoxicated by their temporary condition to have much discernment.

As to 'us', I believe freeing our mind and helping others see through the veil is a duty, within one's possibilities. What's most important, in my opinion, is to be steadfast in virtue, big in generosity and goodwill and to lose interest in brainless entertainment, and encourage others to do so too. Also, to counter the blatant 'divide and conquer' techniques, developing a firm sense of appreciation for others is needed (including for those in charge of the mess!)

That's my take. Not to let one's heart be corrupted in the least by all the assault of filth is the highest victory.

What's your view, friend?

07-23-2015, 12:32 AM #6
anne
Justiciar
Don't mean to hurt,but in India I saw a movie on Buddha.Buddha himself didn't know that what is the purpose of life.And he was also possessed by demons a lot of time.Here, some hindus think he was an enlightened avatar and some think he was an imposter/crazy.btw, i am a Hindu convert to Christianity.Hinduism and Buddhism are very deep religions.Some people go crazy meditating.i recommend reading Rabi Maharaj's Death Of a Yogi.Are you mahayana or hinayana?
This post was last modified: 07-23-2015, 12:35 AM by anne.
The following 1 user Likes anne's post:
  • Annonymous Damsel

07-23-2015, 05:54 AM #7
EnquiringMind
Squire
What's your view, friend?

I am in agreement with you. I think that the teaching that all is illusion is a powerful one when it comes to considering the true state of the 'reality' we're living in.

Nichiren Buddhist
This post was last modified: 07-23-2015, 05:55 AM by EnquiringMind.
The following 1 user Likes EnquiringMind's post:
  • Cerosilmel

07-23-2015, 08:41 AM #8
Cerosilmel
Squire
(07-23-2015, 12:32 AM)anne Wrote:  Don't mean to hurt,but in India I saw a movie on Buddha.Buddha himself didn't know that what is the purpose of life.And he was also possessed by demons a lot of time.Here, some hindus think he was an enlightened avatar and some think he was an imposter/crazy.btw, i am a Hindu convert to Christianity.Hinduism and Buddhism are very deep religions.Some people go crazy meditating.i recommend reading Rabi Maharaj's Death Of a Yogi.Are you mahayana or hinayana?

Hello Anne!
The Buddha specifically declares our conditioned existence to be derived from an unceasing search for sensual pleasures and states of being (being praised, influent, liked etc.) and avoidance of perceived negative states (being criticized, unimportant, poor etc.)
This craving for sensual gratification, for becoming and for non-becoming is the great fetter that keeps beings tied to the round of repeated rebirths (samsara).

He saw that all of the conditioned phenomena are impermanent, impersonal and thus unable to provide lasting satisfaction, so in this sense life is without inherent purpose. To strive for the erradication of greed, hatred and delusion within oneself is said to be the highest ideal.

As for demon possession, that's so completely unrelated to anything Buddhism stands for that I'd invite you to further elaborate.

Yes, some people go crazy meditating, and some go crazy for never meditating. It really depends on the individual and his/her background and circumstances. Generally, the practise is advisable, for it helps gain self-control, subdue general fear and rise the levels of general contentment. Better done with proper guidance, though.

Lastly, I find the mahayana/hinayana division to be a rather artificial one. I gladly follow Buddha's words.

07-26-2015, 01:51 AM #9
anne
Justiciar
(07-23-2015, 08:41 AM)Cerosilmel Wrote:  
(07-23-2015, 12:32 AM)anne Wrote:  Don't mean to hurt,but in India I saw a movie on Buddha.Buddha himself didn't know that what is the purpose of life.And he was also possessed by demons a lot of time.Here, some hindus think he was an enlightened avatar and some think he was an imposter/crazy.btw, i am a Hindu convert to Christianity.Hinduism and Buddhism are very deep religions.Some people go crazy meditating.i recommend reading Rabi Maharaj's Death Of a Yogi.Are you mahayana or hinayana?

Hello Anne!
The Buddha specifically declares our conditioned existence to be derived from an unceasing search for sensual pleasures and states of being (being praised, influent, liked etc.) and avoidance of perceived negative states (being criticized, unimportant, poor etc.)
This craving for sensual gratification, for becoming and for non-becoming is the great fetter that keeps beings tied to the round of repeated rebirths (samsara).

He saw that all of the conditioned phenomena are impermanent, impersonal and thus unable to provide lasting satisfaction, so in this sense life is without inherent purpose. To strive for the erradication of greed, hatred and delusion within oneself is said to be the highest ideal.

As for demon possession, that's so completely unrelated to anything Buddhism stands for that I'd invite you to further elaborate.

Yes, some people go crazy meditating, and some go crazy for never meditating. It really depends on the individual and his/her background and circumstances. Generally, the practise is advisable, for it helps gain self-control, subdue general fear and rise the levels of general contentment. Better done with proper guidance, though.

Lastly, I find the mahayana/hinayana division to be a rather artificial one. I gladly follow Buddha's words.
No one goes crazy not meditating.That is super funny.I am saner than 70% of Americans and I have never meditated.Even in school when we were forced to meditate I would be happy thinking about Enrique Iglesias.And demon possession does have a hold in Buddhism and Hinduism.Believe me,I know ,it just has a different name.In India,women start acting crazy for half an hour or so saying that devi(goddess) has possessed them.I have seen it with my own eyes.I am not sure about demon possession but it is a form of insanity that only affect super religious women

07-26-2015, 05:30 AM #10
Annonymous Damsel
Marshall
I remember back in high school we had to do research about Buddhism and can't remember anything about it.So please tell me,Buddhism-Where does it originate from?Is it from the Indian countries?