#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
What is your thoughts on "political correctness"?

07-20-2015, 03:43 PM #1
Briandao
Chaplain
I had a "debate" with a friend the other day.

In Sweden, a big discussion is immigration, a topic that the politicians doesn't seem to enjoy discussing.

My friend loses it when I use the term "political correctness" since it to him is a way for the far right to justify their racism.

He said that you are allowed to criticize immigration, but if you do it in a certain way, it makes you a racist.

I then asked him how one could phrase their criticism towards immigration without appear like a racist. He said "I don't know, you probably can't".

I'm not racist, sexist or any of that shit, but I see it as a big fat warning sign when people defend the phenomenon of "political correctness" (even though they may not want to use the term).

He (friend) also stated that "what's so bad with 'political correctness'? If it means not being allowed to be racist, sexist, violating people and does everything in the name of equality, where's the harm in that?".

I tried to explain that those are all lovely things, however, political correctness won't stop there.

According to me, it is a major threat to our freedom of speech.

I agree that there should be consequences if you walk up to someone and say "you damn n'gger" or "you white son of a b'tch", but political correctness today is to agree with the "accepted opinion" and ideas.

Political correctness to me is when you're embracing "opinion trends" (can't find a better word atm).

Denouncing feminism and mass-immigration (even though you have very reasonable arguments) is not as accepted and you will most likely be labeled "misogynist" and "racist".

The tricky thing is when you actually agree with the idea of globalism, feminism, multiculturalism, equality etc, but you don't agree with the reason these things are  being materialized and the establishments desires and agenda.

I don't know. It's one of the hardest things to deal with in discussions with people.

What's your experiences and thoughts about all of this?

(I know that I've made a similar thread some time ago, but that one didn't really take off and wasn't very well made IMO)

(07-20-2015, 03:43 PM)Briandao Wrote:  I had a "debate" with a friend the other day.

In Sweden, a big discussion is immigration, a topic that the politicians doesn't seem to enjoy discussing.

My friend loses it when I use the term "political correctness" since it to him is a way for the far right to justify their racism.

He said that you are allowed to criticize immigration, but if you do it in a certain way, it makes you a racist.

I then asked him how one could phrase their criticism towards immigration without appear like a racist. He said "I don't know, you probably can't".

I'm not racist, sexist or any of that shit, but I see it as a big fat warning sign when people defend the phenomenon of "political correctness" (even though they may not want to use the term).

He (friend) also stated that "what's so bad with 'political correctness'? If it means not being allowed to be racist, sexist, violating people and does everything in the name of equality, where's the harm in that?".

I tried to explain that those are all lovely things, however, political correctness won't stop there.

I agree that there should be consequences if you walk up to someone and say "you damn n'gger" or "you white son of a b'tch", but political correctness today is to agree with the "accepted opinion" and ideas.

Political correctness to me is when you're embracing "opinion trends" (can't find a better word atm).

Denouncing feminism and mass-immigration (even though you have very reasonable arguments) is not as accepted and you will most likely be labeled "misogynist" and "racist".

The tricky thing is when you actually agree with the idea of globalism, feminism, multiculturalism, equality etc, but you don't agree with the reason these things are  being materialized and the establishments desires and agenda.

I don't know. It's one of the hardest things to deal with in discussions with people.

(I know that I've made a similar thread some time ago, but that one didn't really take off and wasn't very well made IMO)

What ARE your thoughts*
This post was last modified: 07-20-2015, 04:27 PM by Briandao.

"I ain't 'tryina' preach, I believe I can reach but your mind ain't prepared, I see you when you get there" - Coolio
The following 1 user Likes Briandao's post:
  • umphreak

07-20-2015, 03:54 PM #2
Emerald
Chaplain
(07-20-2015, 03:43 PM)Briandao Wrote:  I had a "debate" with a friend the other day.

What ARE your thoughts*

In an Orwellian word, PC is smth normal. In a quite normal society it shouldnt exist. Basically freedom of speech is doggone. All that matters now is PC. RIP normality....

People who surrender their former religious beliefs have got to be some of the smartest and bravest people in the world because they set out to find truth even while under the threat of "eternal damnations". George Carlin
The following 2 users Like Emerald's post:
  • cameronjcw, Briandao

07-20-2015, 03:58 PM #3
SheWatches
Justiciar
I understand the concern for freedom of speech though I get a little tired when some people proudly wear their 'politically incorrect' mantle as a carte blanche for being a rude asshole.  Yes, let there be room for the likes of Kayne West, Miley Cyrus, Bill Oh Really, Bill Marred, Glenn Peck & 2LiveCrew... thankfully I also have the freedom not to listen to them.

How do they get the "m" on the M&M?

07-20-2015, 04:14 PM #4
Briandao
Chaplain
(07-20-2015, 03:58 PM)SheWatches Wrote:  I understand the concern for freedom of speech though I get a little tired when some people proudly wear their 'politically incorrect' mantle as a carte blanche for being a rude asshole.  Yes, let there be room for the likes of Kayne West, Miley Cyrus, Bill Oh Really, Bill Marred, Glenn Peck & 2LiveCrew... thankfully I also have the freedom not to listen to them.

I agree, but when you are labeled and silenced for an opinion formulated with solid arguments, then we have "accepted opinions" and "unaccepted opinions".

I just fear that the final result out of all of this will be what Wesley Clark (see other thread) talked about, when opinions will be accepted as a "crime".

And what I definitely don't like is the hypocrisy in society (speaking of inequality) when a white person is insulting a black person and is called a racist, but when tables are turned, it suddenly isn't racism due to "historical aspects".

Stop hating people for their nationality, ethnicity and religion, but if you really feel that you have to hate people on such pathetic grounds, be consistent.

Same goes to those who calls people racists. Racism isn't tied to a specific race hating another, it's ALL hatred towards a person or a group of people based on their race.
This post was last modified: 07-20-2015, 04:28 PM by Briandao.

"I ain't 'tryina' preach, I believe I can reach but your mind ain't prepared, I see you when you get there" - Coolio
The following 1 user Likes Briandao's post:
  • cameronjcw

07-20-2015, 04:47 PM #5
SheWatches
Justiciar
I agree with you that political correctness shouldn't be used as an opinion muzzle. Considering the state of our current economy with a good portion of our jobs being still being outsourced, it stands to reason that we do need better immigration control - but we can't ignore the abuses of ICE either.  And people can rightly point out the lack of concern for european & asian immigration to the US versus the mainstream media's tunnel vision on our southern borders.  We have the ability to handle immigration civilly & should do so.

How do they get the "m" on the M&M?

07-20-2015, 06:17 PM #6
cameronjcw
Justiciar
On political correctness, wont be long before the thought police arrive if things continue the way they are now.

Unfortunately there are people on the world who need guidance on how to be a decent human being and how not to hate anything or anyone based on whatever their inane reasons are, political correctness is just ridiculous. You cant say anything against somebody of some minority without it being classed as some kind of racist, homophobic, antifeminist etc etc comment.

If I was alive when treason was still a crime just for speaking out against the monarchy Id have been beheaded a long time ago. One of my cousins is half black, my other cousins partner is morrocan and a muslim but he is a little bastard, my daughters best friend is bisexual but regardless of all of this I can still complain about anytime I have to contact a company its been outsourced to fucking the middle of nowhere with people who I cant understand and they cant understand me, its pointless. It does piss me off that so many jobs are outsources considering how bad unemployment is but am not gonna start blaming the lack of jobs and austerity cuts on immigrants, sure there are some people who will come for benefits am sure but am sure the majority of people only come here or to other countries because they will at least have a better chance of a life if not life itself.

It pisses me off that more people aren't more educated on who the real criminals are and that so many people still blame everything on immigrants and in more recent years people who are on benefits including the disabled and now you have half the mainstream tv channels having these so called reality programs on people claiming benefits which only reinforces the false belief that anybody who claims benefits is just a scrounger regardless of their personal circumstances.

It drives me totally mad because I am disabled and on benefits, certainly not living it up that's for sure.

People need to be educated properly about whats really going on in the world and screw all this political correctness shite!! It should be kept for the playground, its only really fit for small children who are learning social skills and childish arguments and disagreements!
The following 1 user Likes cameronjcw's post:
  • Briandao

07-20-2015, 06:31 PM #7
sPEktrall
Chaplain
PC is of the devil.

Prov 15:7 The lips of the wise disperse knowledge: but the heart of the foolish doeth not so.
The following 2 users Like sPEktrall's post:
  • Briandao, cameronjcw

07-20-2015, 06:44 PM #8
Kung Fu
Chaplain
I laugh in the face of political correctness. During my time at university I wouldn't use phrases such as "African-American, Israelis, and etc.".

All this restriction on speech, debate, and discussions is nothing but the elite trying to dumb us down and make it harder for people to have proper dialectical discussions.

Prophet Muhammad (SallAllahu alaihi wasalam) said:

"My similitude and that of the life of this world is that of a traveler who took a rest at mid-day under a shade of a tree and then left it."       (Ahmad, at-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah and al-Hakim)

The following 3 users Like Kung Fu's post:
  • Briandao, TonyVanDam, cameronjcw

07-20-2015, 07:56 PM #9
TonyVanDam
Justiciar
(07-20-2015, 06:44 PM)Kung Fu Wrote:  I laugh in the face of political correctness. During my time at university I wouldn't use phrases such as "African-American, Israelis, and etc.".

All this restriction on speech, debate, and discussions is nothing but the elite trying to dumb us down and make it harder for people to have proper dialectical discussions.

I just found out back in 2014 that in the USA, you cannot say "midget" anymore. How's THAT for political correctness?!?
The following 1 user Likes TonyVanDam's post:
  • Kung Fu

07-20-2015, 07:58 PM #10
Kung Fu
Chaplain
(07-20-2015, 07:56 PM)TonyVanDam Wrote:  I just found out back in 2014 that in the USA, you cannot say "midget" anymore. How's THAT for political correctness?!?

Prophet Muhammad (SallAllahu alaihi wasalam) said:

"My similitude and that of the life of this world is that of a traveler who took a rest at mid-day under a shade of a tree and then left it."       (Ahmad, at-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah and al-Hakim)