#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Have you read the bible from cover to cover?

07-19-2015, 12:18 PM #1
khadeejah
Chaplain
Hi,  a general question for all Christians and former Christians to answer either "yes"  or "no."    I'm especially interested to hear from Catholics and ex-Catholics. 

If you include your denomination, affiliation (or lack there of). that would be appreciated too.

Thank you for your replies.
This post was last modified: 07-25-2015, 06:03 PM by khadeejah. Edit Reason: typo

The following 1 user Likes khadeejah's post:
  • Scimitar

07-19-2015, 05:15 PM #2
umphreak
Marshall
I'm neither Christian nor formerly Christian, but I can say that I have indeed read the bible from cover to cover.  I found it really really interesting.  My opinion is that the Old Testament is really disturbing and that the god described therein could not possibly be the creator of all that exists.  He is basically a really neurotic human - jealous, vengeful, demanding of total obedience (except to his favorite few who apparently get a free pass), plays favorites, violent, etc, etc, etc.

The New Testament is a breath of fresh air in comparison, and I basically agree with the overarching message.  I like Jesus' message of the Golden Rule.  Unfortunately it is often misinterpreted and used to promote all kinds of agendas that I don't think Jesus would approve of at all.  

However, the really interesting part of the Bible, especially for those of us who are into deep conspiracies, is the part that isn't generally included.....the Book of Enoch Wink

07-19-2015, 06:24 PM #3
Todd
Chaplain
Yes, I've read cover to cover several times.  Was raised Lutheran, became charismatic, spirit filled in college, have been in all kinds of denominations from prophetic/ apostolic to Asseemblies of God, but currently have no affiliation as I have rejected any and all doctrines I can't see for myself from the Bible.

Then shall the king say to those on his right hand, Come ye, the blessed of my Father, inherit the reign that hath been prepared for you from the foundation of the world;

And the king answering, shall say to them, Verily I say to you, Inasmuch as ye did to one of these my brethren -- the least -- to me ye did

07-19-2015, 06:28 PM #4
sPEktrall
Chaplain
The O.T.God is the same God and father of Jesus Christ.  In the O.T. Gods dealings with Israel was a showcasing of how sin is dealt with on the pure basis of his just and holy law.  It demonstrates how God deals with sinners as an enforcer of divine justice towards their transgressions, much like a just judge in an earthly court is obligated by law enforce the penalties for breaking the law.  

Jesus Christ was a manifestation of the mercy and grace of God that always existed as part of him, his love toward sinners.  He bore the punishment that we rightfully and justly deserve for our sins.  He stood in the court of law and paid for your sentence on the cross.

Prov 15:7 The lips of the wise disperse knowledge: but the heart of the foolish doeth not so.
The following 1 user Likes sPEktrall's post:
  • Thunderian

07-19-2015, 06:38 PM #5
Thunderian
Chaplain
I am a non-denominational Christ-follower and I have read the Bible cover to cover.

(07-19-2015, 05:15 PM)umphreak Wrote:  However, the really interesting part of the Bible, especially for those of us who are into deep conspiracies, is the part that isn't generally included.....the Book of Enoch Wink

Hi umphreak.  What is it about the Book of Enoch you find so interesting?

(07-19-2015, 06:24 PM)Todd Wrote:  Yes, I've read cover to cover several times.  Was raised Lutheran, became charismatic, spirit filled in college, have been in all kinds of denominations from prophetic/ apostolic to Asseemblies of God, but currently have no affiliation as I have rejected any and all doctrines I can't see for myself from the Bible.

What do you mean when you say you became spirit filled in college?
The following 1 user Likes Thunderian's post:
  • Todd

07-19-2015, 06:40 PM #6
Todd
Chaplain
I've never taken the OT As an complete accurate picture of God.  If anything it's the picture of what happens when God allows man in hIs fallen state to live outside of God and as Spektrall said what it takes from the strict justice aspect for man to be reconciled with God.  Of course we see from the OT that without the grace of God and the atonIng work of Christ it's not possible.  The OT was mainly to show man's need for grace.  The NT is the proof and substance of God's grace.  

Fortunately God is not bound by time, so All will be reconciled to him in the ages to come, where we will all have the memory of how well it worked out when man did not submit to God's ways.  Those who did submit to God in this age have a head start and I believe they will actually have a part in reaching and teaching those who will be reconciled to God in ages to come.
This post was last modified: 07-19-2015, 06:41 PM by Todd.

Then shall the king say to those on his right hand, Come ye, the blessed of my Father, inherit the reign that hath been prepared for you from the foundation of the world;

And the king answering, shall say to them, Verily I say to you, Inasmuch as ye did to one of these my brethren -- the least -- to me ye did

07-19-2015, 06:46 PM #7
Thunderian
Chaplain
Todd, if we are all reconciled to Christ at some point, regardless of any decision we make in this life, what is the point?

07-19-2015, 06:48 PM #8
Todd
Chaplain
(07-19-2015, 06:38 PM)Thunderian Wrote:  What do you mean when you say you became spirit filled in college?

I meant to put that in quotes....through the outreach of a charismatic campus ministry, I had a life changing experience, that introduced me to the concept Iof having and actual relationship with Christ.  This ministry taught the baptism of the Holy Spirit, as a separate experience from being "saved" or born again, with the evidence of speaking in tongues.  So someone who had this experience was supposedly "spirit filled".

07-19-2015, 06:56 PM #9
Thunderian
Chaplain
(07-19-2015, 06:48 PM)Todd Wrote:  
(07-19-2015, 06:38 PM)Thunderian Wrote:  What do you mean when you say you became spirit filled in college?

I meant to put that in quotes....through the outreach of a charismatic campus ministry, I had a life changing experience, that introduced me to the concept Iof having and actual relationship with Christ.  This ministry taught the baptism of the Holy Spirit, as a separate experience from being "saved" or born again, with the evidence of speaking in tongues.  So someone who had this experience was supposedly "spirit filled".

I've heard of it before.  I attended a mildy charismatic church several years ago and they would talk about it, but I was confused as to what it meant, and the people I spoke to seemed to be as well.

Do you still believe in this spirit-filling as a separate experience from being born again?  Doesn't Paul say in I Corinthians 12:13 that we are all baptized by one spirit?

07-19-2015, 06:59 PM #10
Todd
Chaplain
(07-19-2015, 06:46 PM)Thunderian Wrote:  Todd, if we are all reconciled to Christ at some point, regardless of any decision we make in this life, what is the point?

Really?  If your question is serious, ( I hope it isn't)' then it shows how shallow your faith is, that your sole motivation for being a Christian is to make sure you have a get out of hell card in your pocket.  If you have a real revelation of Christ and what he did, your motivation to be a follower and worship him, would be solely because he deserves it.  

However if you need a point, the true Body of Chrust will have a reward in the next age.  We will be part of the millennial reign of Christ.  And those few who, who have been diligent and walked fully in the call of Christ in the most intimate sense will have the privilege of being the bride of Christ.  

Rejecting the gospel in this lifetime will have consequences for sure, an there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth for the wicked, but God's wrath will not last forever and no one will suffer or burn for eternity.

(07-19-2015, 06:56 PM)Thunderian Wrote:  Do you still believe in this spirit-filling as a separate experience from being born again?  Doesn't Paul say in I Corinthians 12:13 that we are all baptized by one spirit?

I still speak in tongues in my own private prayer time, but I don't think being baptized in the Holy Spirit is one time experience like most charismatic/Pentecostal churches teach.  We must be continually filled with Holy Spirit each and every day.  

I started typing more, but it's kinda getting off topic for this thread.  If you really want to discuss more, you could start another thread and I'll contribute my thoughts.
This post was last modified: 07-19-2015, 07:16 PM by Todd.