#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums

Alcohol Addiction

07-14-2015, 06:07 AM #1
Every day there are commercials on television, or ads online for new flavors and styles of alcohol.  Kiwi flavored vodka and cinnamon rum are all the rage.  Over the years, alcohol has become so acceptable and tolerated that many parents allow their children to taste wine, or have a beer long before their brains are developed enough to tolerate the substance.  Truth be told, alcohol can be incredibly dangerous.  With the mainstream nature of alcohol, most people fail to take into consideration the harsh reality of alcohol addiction.

Since fruit was first fermented, and the early cavemen learned that they could get drunk, people have been suffering from alcohol addiction.  It is a terrible plight.  People who have alcohol addiction completely lose control over their ability to stop drinking despite tragic consequences.  Individuals who are afflicted with alcohol addiction have what’s known as an allergy of the body and an obsession of the mind.  The allergy presents itself as an inability to stop drinking once alcohol is introduced into the body.  Regardless of blackouts, car accidents, ruined marriages, lost jobs and a slew of other catastrophes that can occur, the allergy prevents the individual from being able to stop drinking.

The other component to alcohol addiction is the obsession of the mind.  Those suffering from alcohol addiction constantly and consistently obsess over drinking.  When they’ll be able to drink again and how much they will be able to drink are the main thoughts swimming around the alcoholic’s brain.  Even the subconscious is drastically impacted.  Individuals with alcohol addiction frequently have dreams about drinking and being drunk.  Their entire social structure is often created based on where and how they can drink without judgment and consequence.  This singular focus on the ability to drink causes major ruptures in quality of life experiences, family dynamics and general progress in any persons’ life who struggles with alcohol addiction.

Taking all of these facts into consideration, how is it that we allow our media to so blatantly advertise a product with such harmful possible side effects.  Too many children are being exposed to alcohol at a young age, and are learning to use drinking as a coping mechanism for life stressors and as an escape from negative feelings.  These are the building blocks that create alcohol addiction.  Compound this mentality over generations, and we find ourselves dealing with alcohol addicted parents, raising more dysfunctional alcohol addicted children.  This catastrophic cycle has to stop.  There are major ad campaigns now informing the public about the dangers of smoking.  Isn’t it time for mass awareness to be raised about the dangers of alcohol and alcohol addiction?

This is not a paid advertisement or a spam post. I just want to share my experience and advice's I gained from A New Start Treatment.
This post was last modified: 07-14-2015, 06:08 AM by JustinRose.
The following 3 users Like JustinRose's post:
  • Smooch, The Creeper, Dial P For PROFANE

07-14-2015, 12:16 PM #2
I have def noticed the rice in alcoholism.  At this rate every other person will be an alcoholic...

Prov 15:7 The lips of the wise disperse knowledge: but the heart of the foolish doeth not so.

07-14-2015, 05:57 PM #3
Thy Unveiling
A couple months ago my neighbor lost his best friend since infancy to alcohol. He was disgusted that many of their mutual friends were getting drunk as his friend lay in the hospital dying.

A guy I knew since we were babies (by no means a friend, nor a nemesis) got drunk, tripped over a curb, and somehow died.

Another friend I've known for many years is struggling with alcoholism. He was over while my neighbor told me about his friend (who was at the time in the hospital.) He admits he lost a great girl (a friend of mine) to his drinking. Yet he refuses to even check out one AA meeting. He's aware of the consequences. Yet he won't try to get help. This troubles me greatly, but what can I do?

Another thing that makes no sense to me is a lot of bars around my area refuse to serve someone who only has a health card for photo ID. Yet they'll accept a drivers license. I get that a health care is supposed to be for doctors visits etc, not going to bars. However a person without a drivers license is far less likely to drink and drive.
The following 1 user Likes Thy Unveiling's post:
  • The Creeper

07-14-2015, 06:11 PM #4
Its sad...  I used to be a hardcore alcoholic.  My biological father lived in a house full of alcoholics, and so did his parents.  I fell into binge drinking around the age of 19 and became a full blown alcoholic for 4 years.  There are times when people become so bound to booze that they open the doorway for demon spirits of alcoholism to influence them them further to drink.  I later came to know that I inherited my biological fathers generational demons which had held him and his family in darkness.  This stuff is real...

Prov 15:7 The lips of the wise disperse knowledge: but the heart of the foolish doeth not so.
The following 2 users Like sPEktrall's post:
  • The Creeper, Dial P For PROFANE

07-16-2015, 02:27 PM #5
I'll add my story about the soul reaver that is whiskey.  Drugs and alcohol have practically been the story of my life, and the worst 4 years of my life were spent as a pathetic, drunken buffoon.  I'll spare all the details, but suffice it to say I lost my job, hurt my family and fell into poor health.  Based on this I think I'm qualified to comment on this topic. 

I've been a hardcore drug user since the age of 11 when I smoked my first joint.  In my experience the worst drugs in terms of addiction would be a toss up between alcohol and opiates, with amphetamines and cocaine tied for second.  I think that should say a lot about how alcohol should really be considered: it's right up there with the big, bad life-ruiners like meth, crack and heroin. 

My opinion on substance use isn't entirely negative; I strongly believe that certain people are able to use drugs and alcohol responsibly,  whereas others fall to addiction like a moth to a light bulb (myself included).  As the OP said it depends on genetics, and I would add personality type.  I agree with the OP that the potential dangers of alcohol are absurdly understated and downplayed by society, but since it's a useful tranquilizer of the profane (all profane, not just me Big Grin ) that doesn't surprise me one bit.

P Is For Profane - Power To The Profane!

If you think that no one is listening and no one cares, just remember: the government is listening, and the government cares...

They should fear us, not the other way around...
The following 1 user Likes Dial P For PROFANE's post:
  • The Creeper

07-16-2015, 08:16 PM #6
The Creeper
Any kind of addiction is a horrible thing to go through, its a battle that you never really win. Even after you get yourself clean and you never touch another drug again, once you are an addict, you are always an addict, its a state of mind.

I never really had that much of a problem with alcohol (by British standards Wink ), but I think it is madness that alcohol and tobacco are perfectly legal and seen as socially acceptable, despite the massive harm they can do, while marijuana remains illegal. "The Man" doesn't give a single shit about the common people, its all about keeping them stupid, subdued and controlled while making as much money as possible.

I thought addiction was explained rather well in this episode of South Park.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool – William Shakespear
The following 1 user Likes The Creeper's post:
  • Dial P For PROFANE