#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums

Gun Safety and Protection

07-13-2015, 04:38 PM #1
So recently there's been a story in my hometown. You've probably may have read it on yahoo news but there's a case where a mother and a father of 5 children, were shot in their homes by 3 to 5 intruders. The 5 children were not physically harmed but the murderers have left these 5 children without parents. The reason why I bring this up to begin with, is because I have decided to seriously consider taking some precautions in the near future. My hometown, is pretty well known for these sort of things but it's never been this bad. Crime is reaching where I stay and I have been victim of a robbery twice last year. Once when I was home and once when I was out of state. Now I won't get too much into details but all you need to know is that my hometown is starting to see some impacts in the community.

So I'm thinking into taking some courses to learn how to properly us a Gun. In my State I need training documentation before getting a concealed carried weapons permit. Now, you may ask, why all of a sudden do I need a gun for? You may wonder, "Hey, aren't you a Christian, why not just have complete faith in God to protect you?" These were my first thoughts before I even thought about gun safety. To those questions that I asked myself, I can say, I completely agree. And even before all these crimes that hit my home, I've always had interest in learning to hunt with a rifle because it could be of great use when everything hits the fan. Mainly what I'm trying to say is, why not? I've always wanted to learn about hunting, how to properly use a gun and learn safety. I started watching some video on youtube, explaining which handgun/rifle is best for beginners etc. There were some very good informative videos and the people did a really good job explaining thoroughly.  I even came across an amazing video of a 13 year old girl, handling what I believe to be an AR, shotgun, and handgun with great accuracy.

Some people may or may not be against training a young child about guns and how to use them but that's for the rest of the post below. If I may ask, have any of you ever shot a gun or held a gun in your life? I have very little experience but I have been at the firing range before shooting with a glock 19 and an AK-47. It was only once so I'm definitely not consistent with guns. Oh here's that video I was talking about in recommendation with choice of your first gun.

Matthew 6:34
"Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is it's own trouble."
The following 1 user Likes That1kid's post:
  • freedmind

07-13-2015, 11:07 PM #2
If you didn't 'grow up' hunting or handling guns i would strongly encourage taking classes.  (Heck, even if somebody did grow up with guns it is a good idea as well).

If you plan on hunting see if there are courses offered by your state's Department of Natural Resources regarding gun safety.  In many states these courses are a requirement before you can legally purchase a hunting license.  (My state calls it a firearm safety certificate).  Sure, you may be stuck in a class with a bunch of twelve year old kids but who cares.  Those kids were fortunate enough to grow up in a family who regularly handles firearms so they are "ahead of the curve" so to speak; don't be dismayed if you are one of the older ones in class.  Actually, I would bet there are other people new to guns as well who may be in class with you.

If hunting is not your main goal I would still encourage one of the DNR courses.  Lots of valuable information!  If concealed carry is your goal and you are not versed with handling firearms I would strongly encourage additional training beyond the requirements necessary to obtain a concealed weapons permit.  Although conceal carry courses will inform you on your state's various laws regarding carrying a handgun in public it won't necessarily teach you all you need to know about handling guns and gun safety.  

If possible find a relative, friend, or acquaintance who may be willing to take you under their wings so to speak.  If there is one thing i know, people who love to hunt and/or shoot love to share the experience with others!  

Always remember:

1. Treat every firearm as if it were loaded
2.  Never point a firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy
3.  Always be sure of your target AND what is beyond it
4.  Keep your finger off the trigger until you are on target and ready to fire
The following 1 user Likes royle's post:
  • That1kid

07-14-2015, 12:07 AM #3
Thy Unveiling
Never used a gun. Thought about learning. But when it comes down to it, even a sharp pencil or a regular spoon can be used as a weapon. While i know it would be in defense, idk how I'd handle it mentally and emotionally if I actually killed someone. I couldn't hunt. I'm a vegetarian, I don't enjoy consuming murder. I'd probably have a mental breakdown if I had to kill an animal for survival. Although I do agree with the indian philosophy that if you're going to kill an animal, use everything.