#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums

What exactly is Common Core?

07-11-2015, 05:02 PM #1
Some time ago I got familiar with "Common core" and noticed the massive amount of opposition towards it.

I've read some pieces about it, but I can't fully understand what it means.

Someone who would like to clarify it for me, and what is the official purpose of it?

What do you think about it?

"I ain't 'tryina' preach, I believe I can reach but your mind ain't prepared, I see you when you get there" - Coolio

07-11-2015, 10:43 PM #2
(07-11-2015, 05:02 PM)Briandao Wrote:  Some time ago I got familiar with "Common core" and noticed the massive amount of opposition towards it.

I've read some pieces about it, but I can't fully understand what it means.

Someone who would like to clarify it for me, and what is the official purpose of it?

What do you think about it?

Who's Behind the Common Core Curriculum?
Written by  Sam Blumenfeld

Like so many education reform initiatives that seem to arise out of nowhere, the Common Core State Standards is another of these sweeping phantom movements that have gotten their impetus from a cadre of invisible human beings endowed with inordinate power to impose their ideas on everybody.
For example, the idea of collecting intimate personal data on public school students and teachers seems to have arisen spontaneously in the bowels of the National Center for Education Statistics in Washington. It required a small army of education psychologists to put together the data handbooks, which are periodically expanded to include more personal information.
Nobody knows who exactly authorized the creation of such a dossier on every student and teacher in American public schools, but the program exists and is being paid for by the taxpayer. And strange as it may seem, it arose seemingly out of nowhere, like a vampire, to suck the freedom out of the American people. Unlike Santa’s elves who work behind the scenes to bring happiness to children, these subterranean phantoms work overtime to find ways of making American children miserable.
The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) is another such vampire calculated not only to suck the freedom out of the American people, but also to suck out the brains of their children. And all of this is planned in the dark, away from the prying eyes of parents and writers like me. Ask any educator: “Who is the author of the Common Core Standards?” and they will not be able to tell you.

READ MORE HERE: http://www.thenewamerican.com/reviews/op...curriculum

look up Dr. Duke Pesta on Youtube.

Or these  pretty much some up how I feel about it:

The following 3 users Like khadeejah's post:
  • Tarikko, Thy Unveiling, That1kid

07-11-2015, 11:40 PM #3
I am sure there is a similar structure to the education system here in the UK too, pretty much standards to adhere to so that teachers are teaching the children apparently in order to prepare them for life in the real world as part of the "workforce"

Its more about control and manipulation than actual education, there are certain issues that are never included in the education system, it doesnt really encourage children to grow and learn rather than just try to knock out any kind of imagination and individuality and keeping them in line, so they know their place in life and dont try and get ahead of themselves, its this very reason that children who dont "fit" are often excluded or put into places where they get more individual attention but again within the school system guidelines!

Its too easy for some people to become teachers, you get the occasional good ones but some of them shouldnt be near people nevermind working with and having responsibility and control over children.

This is an interesting point of view from a teacher!

The following 1 user Likes cameronjcw's post:
  • Thy Unveiling

07-12-2015, 02:30 AM #4
Common Core's real goal? 'Dumbing down people'

There isn't far to go in the US.

Isaiah 40:26 "Not one of them is missing"

07-12-2015, 04:08 PM #5
I watched the videos and read what you guys wrote.

I'm officially scared, insulted and will most likely have nightmares.

This is way scarier than any "Top 10 Creepypastas"...

"I ain't 'tryina' preach, I believe I can reach but your mind ain't prepared, I see you when you get there" - Coolio

07-12-2015, 11:14 PM #6
ughh.. the common core is just a standard in certain topics that outlines what kids should be learning in each grade. its supposed to make it so a kid in alabama is learning the same thing as a kid in new york.

it was something that the leaders of Teach for America and those alternative school programs - charter schools - were really pushing. and yes it is far from perfect but i think its a huge stretch to think its the devil itself. my son just finished 5th grade, his school only adopted common core at the beginning of the last school year. they teach things a bit differently now but other than that we didnt really have any problems with it.

we have had tons of problems with SCHOOL in general, they just were not common core related. i dont think you can lump all of the currrent problems with our educational system together and blame them on common core. common core does not seem to be the root of the real issues.
The following 3 users Like justjess's post:
  • Islcastaway1986, FlixKandish, cameronjcw

07-13-2015, 05:18 PM #7
My cousin teaches 3rd grade in Michigan. Her biggest complaint about common core is it more prepares the kids to do well on standardized tests as opposed to teaching them anything, but that's been an overall trand in the school system for a while. I'm 22 and I remember them making us do standardized test prep back in elementary school and rewarding the kids who did well on practice stuff with candy/cheap dollar store toys. She also doesn't like some of the new math curriculum because her students seem overall to have more trouble understanding the new methods than the way she used to teach before common core.

"Never let life kill your spark." 
Crown the Empire 

07-13-2015, 09:50 PM #8
Yeah this is definitely terrifying, especially for parents. My weakest place among the school subjects was Math. I hated Math so much but I kept trying of course. For me, it all started after Elementary School. This was a while after the No Child Left Behind Act was passed down coincidentally. In Elementary school, I felt so confident in my math skills, learning multiplication and division were so much fun, that we did contest throughout the entire 5th grade classes in school and which ever class completed the most answers correctly won a pizza party for the entire class. Feeling prepared to take on Middle School, my confidence level went down drastically, that I ended up taking ESE classes from 6th grade to 9th grade. The only subject that affected me the most for taking ESE was Math. All the other classes like History, Science, and Social Studies I had no problems with, but Math killed it. I didn't think of it any differently during those grades but in 10th grade, I was fed up with ESE that I talked to my guidance counselor and asked him to take me out of those classes and to put me into standard normal classes. I literally had to start all over again in high school to get my credits for graduation requirements and I only graduated with a GPA of 2.9. Sad I swear I felt like a fool for even being placed in those classes. I convinced one of my other friends to join my crusade out of those classes. lol We both ended up graduating with Standard diplomas. It may not seem like a great feat but for us, it really felt good. We both had the same classes together in Math, and we both failed our final exams twice but we barely passed Math. I still have all the notes I took for Math in Algebra 2, which yeah, is my highest level I reached in Math. I would always write down the notes like I was supposed to and when it came down to the test, my notes didn't click with the questions on the test. Everything seemed different. I felt like a fool and I just didn't understand what was wrong with me and Math. Math just didn't like me anymore. I always believed there was something wrong with the school system and I always knew I wasn't the only one. Why are a lot of kids so rebellious to learning. Kids couldn't even sit still just to learn and I understand where most of those kids were coming from but I had to keep pressing on in school.

Edit: I want to go ahead and add this to the thread. It's an amazing video, still watching the video now. Does the breakdown on who's funding the Common Core to how the States were bribed into accepting the Common Core.

This post was last modified: 07-13-2015, 10:53 PM by That1kid.

Matthew 6:34
"Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is it's own trouble."
The following 3 users Like That1kid's post:
  • khadeejah, Thy Unveiling, MaryJane

07-14-2015, 12:37 AM #9
Thy Unveiling
Kid, i think you may have dyslexia's overlooked cousin, dyscalculia. Hardly anyone gets diagnosed with it, likely because so few ever hear of it. Dyslexia gets all the attention. I actually diagnosed myself with it, and had to educate my school on it when I went back for my grade 12 (high school drop out here :p) I was in an upgrading class because one of the final two credits I needed was math, always the bane of my educational experience. I did okay with addition, subtraction, but got lost in fractions. Pie charts I could grasp, stuff I could compare to quarters (4 quarters equal $1) but anything more complex than that? No, in am not smarter than a 5th grader. No matter how my teacher tried to explain it, I just couldn't (and still don't) understand. Finally I got up and waited for the principal. I told her of my struggle, about my self-diagnosed learning disability, and how it's unfair that I would be unable to get my grade 12 over one mandatory credit when I truly cannot comprehend the subject. My teacher just happened to show up while I was there, and she backed me up saying I really was trying but I just can't grasp it. The principal asked me to spell dyscalculia, as she'd never heard of it. "Nobody has. Dyslexia gets all the attention." I said, and spelled it. She googled it, to verify I wasn't making it up. She then agreed it is unfair that I should be unable to graduate over one credit, offered I take a different course in its place, and thanked me for educating them as it might help them identify the disability in others who may not be aware of why they struggle so much with math. A few months later, I got my grade 12 without the mandatory math credit Smile

I've thought about speaking to other schools to raise awareness. Its really not right that so few people are aware it exists, leaving people like you and I feeling like we're stupid. Well, that feeling creeps back at times, but at least you can say "I have a little heard of learning disability, so I suck at math." Spread the word when it comes up. Dyscalculia deserves some recognition!

Unrelated to my above post, just want to say while I have heard of common core, it seems where I live that one of the bigger issues with public education is that teachers frequently go on strike. Now they are forced to abide by this new Work to Rule regulation. So now teachers are saying they won't do report cards or parent/teacher meetings or extracurricular activities. The students are suffering for it.

I think the worst strike was when the university or college did it in the middle of the school year. Most of those kids took out loans, which they have to repay with interest. They went into debt because they care about their education. And the teachers went on strike.

Such behavior builds animosity, destroys trust, and gives the public a low opinion on teachers. Half the time we don't even know what they're upset about. But striking isn't going to make us sympathetic to their cause regardless if its public schools, which are free, and especially not when its a school those students went into debt to attend. (I think their current issues are cutbacks and class sizes that are too big.)

Idk. More and more I'm thinking Montessori is the way to go. I just need to figure out how to pay for it :p universe? Yeshua? Angels? Help please
This post was last modified: 07-14-2015, 12:56 AM by Thy Unveiling.
The following 2 users Like Thy Unveiling's post:
  • That1kid, khadeejah

07-14-2015, 03:43 AM #10
(07-14-2015, 12:37 AM)Thy Unveiling Wrote:  Idk. More and more I'm thinking Montessori is the way to go. I just need to figure out how to pay for it :p universe? Yeshua? Angels? Help please
Montessori is expensive.  We homeschool (kind of, it's an online public school program)  - it works out really well for our family.   You can enroll in an online public school for free.  If you don't have to work out of the home you should see what your state has to offer and weigh the pros and cons.  Our state follows common core so I had to learn how to teach it essentially.  Our math experience is like the ones in the vids I posted and that is the main reason why I do not like it.

The following 2 users Like khadeejah's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, Scimitar