#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Forum/Thread Etiquette Suggestion

07-08-2015, 06:13 PM #1
SheWatches
Justiciar
Apologies ahead of time if this had been suggested before:

For people that are continually replying to other people's threads, it would be great if we all took the time to cut out all the previous/original quotes in our reply & just quote that one  part of the person's post we're actually replying to.  I've seen way too many "wall o' quote texts" when someone is just replying to the last  item someone else posted.

I understand when someone is doing a point-by-point response to multiple things or answering multiple people are different situations.  But the endless quote wall in replies can be trimmed otherwise.

I hope the above makes sense but maybe I'm not phrasing it right.

How do they get the "m" on the M&M?

07-08-2015, 06:19 PM #2
zenith
Marshall
Thank you SheWatches. I will try to be attentive to this.
The following 2 users Like zenith's post:
  • SheWatches, Thy Unveiling

07-09-2015, 02:37 AM #3
Scimitar
Grand Commander
I believe some tutorials are needed, I've seen members not know how to quote properly (let alone cut a quote so only the part they respond to is posted), or even embed a video.

Scimi

Out beyond ideas
of wrong-doing,

and right-doing,

there is a field...

...I'll meet you there.
€

Jalaluddin Rumi
The following 4 users Like Scimitar's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, Sidhuriel, SheWatches, zenith

07-09-2015, 01:52 PM #4
somewhatconcerned
Knight
yeah, not going to lie, been guilty of this recently as I've been trying to figure this forum out (I rarely use forums) and also I was on my phone for the last two days. But I will for sure do that from now on! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

females are strong. as. hell.
The following 4 users Like somewhatconcerned's post:
  • Ketchup, Thy Unveiling, Scimitar, SheWatches

07-10-2015, 04:41 AM #5
cameronjcw
Justiciar
Admittedly I do do this probably too often! Noted lol
The following 2 users Like cameronjcw's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, SheWatches

07-10-2015, 09:11 AM #6
VC
Administrator
I agree it is annoying. I believe that some people mistakenly click on the "Reply" button under a user's post (which automatically quotes the entire post) instead of clicking on the "New Reply" button at the bottom of the page (which does not quote anything).

So, if you are not directly replying to a specific post and do not want to quote a post, just use the "New Reply" button at the bottom of the page.

The fact that you are not aware of something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
The following 2 users Like VC's post:
  • SheWatches, Thy Unveiling

07-10-2015, 06:36 PM #7
SheWatches
Justiciar
... and if one is  replying to a previous post, please just quote that one relevant  part & delete the rest.

This post was last modified: 04-24-2016, 12:23 PM by SheWatches.

How do they get the "m" on the M&M?
The following 2 users Like SheWatches's post:
  • Thy Unveiling,

07-11-2015, 07:11 AM #8
Scimitar
Grand Commander
Yeah, necro-posting is bad forum manners Smile

Scimi

Out beyond ideas
of wrong-doing,

and right-doing,

there is a field...

...I'll meet you there.
€

Jalaluddin Rumi
The following 3 users Like Scimitar's post:
  • Ketchup, Thy Unveiling, Sidhuriel

02-05-2016, 12:18 PM #9
Artful Revealer
Chaplain
(07-08-2015, 06:13 PM)SheWatches Wrote:  Apologies ahead of time if this had been suggested before:

For people that are continually replying to other people's threads, it would be great if we all took the time to cut out all the previous/original quotes in our reply & just quote that one  part of the person's post we're actually replying to.  I've seen way too many "wall o' quote texts" when someone is just replying to the last  item someone else posted.

I understand when someone is doing a point-by-point response to multiple things or answering multiple people are different situations.  But the endless quote wall in replies can be trimmed otherwise.

I hope the above makes sense but maybe I'm not phrasing it right.
Bump.

Faith receives, love gives. No one will be able to receive without faith. No one will be able to give without love. Because of this, in order that we may indeed receive, we believe, and in order that we may love, we give, since if one gives without love, he has no profit from what he has given. He who has received something other than the Lord is still a Hebrew. - Gospel of Philip
The following 1 user Likes Artful Revealer's post:
  • Thy Unveiling

02-05-2016, 12:29 PM #10
Sidhuriel
Chaplain
(07-10-2015, 09:11 AM)VC Wrote:  I agree it is annoying. I believe that some people mistakenly click on the "Reply" button under a user's post (which automatically quotes the entire post) instead of clicking on the "New Reply" button at the bottom of the page (which does not quote anything).

So, if you are not directly replying to a specific post and do not want to quote a post, just use the "New Reply" button at the bottom of the page.

Thank you that's exactly what I did! Big Grin

Darkness cannot drive out darkness
Only light can do that
Hate can't drive out hate
Only love can do that
Heart
The following 1 user Likes Sidhuriel's post:
  • Thy Unveiling