#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Chimps deserve human rights, activists argue in New York

05-29-2015, 02:16 AM #1
Thunderian
Chaplain
Quote:Chimps deserve human rights, activists argue in New York

Chimpanzees should be granted the same basic human rights accorded to young children, animal rights activists argued in a potentially momentous court hearing in New York yesterday.

In a courtroom packed to overflowing, lawyers for Nonhuman Rights Project argued that two chimps being held by a New York university should be granted a writ of habeas corpus – personhood – that would make it unlawful to keep them in captivity.

The two-hour hearing at the New York Supreme Court in Manhattan is the latest move in a two-year legal battle to win legal recognition for chimps as “autonomous and self-determining beings” who have the right to bodily liberty.
Two chimps were named in the case as “Hercules and Leo” who are being held in captivity by the Stony Brook University, in New York State for use in an anatomical research programme, but a decision would apply to all chimps – and perhaps beyond to elephants, dolphins and whales.

Christopher Coulston, the New York assistant attorney general who is defending the university, argued that a decision grant chimps human rights that would set a dangerous precedent “for the release of other animals” housed in zoos, educational institutions, farms or even pets.

more ...

05-29-2015, 02:51 AM #2
sophiaponders
Chaplain
lol....

i am all for animal rights.. but are humans animals? it is degrading... just look at what the nazis did to the jews with this talk. etc.... darwinism is ridiculous and btw i am still wondering how there are still monkeys if we evolved from them and i have yet to see a monkey turn into a human...

btw... check out this lovely 'fruit' of darwinism... Sad https://www.popularresistance.org/deep-r...uman-zoos/
This post was last modified: 05-29-2015, 03:11 AM by sophiaponders.

If you are interested in Palestine feel free to join my group https://www.facebook.com/groups/101464189944996/

05-29-2015, 08:48 AM #3
Buttons
Peasant
So I guess its only a matter of time before the apes take over and enslave us humans?
Didn't I see that in a movie?

05-29-2015, 01:40 PM #4
Brenon
Knight
If these groups believe in Evolution it only makes sense, should make sense to anyone who Believes in Evolution.

Either way if Animals start to gain Human Rights....imagine Marriege issue......LOL so sorry for that image, litte Nikita with red lipstick next to John the zoo keeper LOL im so sry.

05-29-2015, 03:26 PM #5
The Creeper
Chaplain
Elephants, dolphins, whales and the great apes are intelligent creatures. Fact.

It doesn't matter if you believe in evolution or not, most animals have a nervous system and are capable of feeling pain. The only people who think that animals don't have thoughts or feeling have never had pets or worked with animals.

Human rights may not apply to animals because they can't understand our insane system, even I struggle to wrap my head round it someimes. But animals do deserve a life free from pain, suffering and isolation.

If our species is so vastly superior being the masters of the universe and shit why do we need to brutalise all other forms of life? You want to test something you should test it on yourself or find a volunteer, these creatures don't have a choice.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool – William Shakespear

05-29-2015, 03:53 PM #6
Thunderian
Chaplain
I love most animals -- I would be happy if there were no zoos or aquariums -- but you have to draw a line somewhere. Give animals rights today, and next you're giving plants and insects rights. Don't we have more important things to worry about?
This post was last modified: 05-29-2015, 03:53 PM by Thunderian.

05-29-2015, 04:19 PM #7
The Creeper
Chaplain
Posted by Thunderian
I love most animals -- I would be happy if there were no zoos or aquariums -- but you have to draw a line somewhere. Give animals rights today, and next you're giving plants and insects rights. Don't we have more important things to worry about?

There is a line, life has to consume other forms of life in order to continue living. Exept plants and algae(which are also alive)which live off sunlight. I eat meat, I prefer that what I eat had a quick death, but that is a whole new can of worms to delve into. It boils down to respect, im not saying we should let chimpanzees vote or anything but we shouldn't be putting them through brutal experiments. You can judge a society by the way it treats its animals.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool – William Shakespear

05-29-2015, 04:40 PM #8
Vytas
Justiciar
As Sophia said it is degrading. It is not about animals having more rights (they don't need rights , just love them and take care of them) , it's about ordinary human being having no more right's than animal...Still long way to go, but with all those happy activist we will end up there eventually...

Truth is precious it's guarded by God
The following 1 user Likes Vytas's post:
  • khadeejah

05-29-2015, 05:06 PM #9
The Creeper
Chaplain
Posted by Vytas
As Sophia said it is degrading. It is not about animals having more rights (they don't need rights , just love them and take care of them) , it's about ordinary human being having no more right's than animal...Still long way to go, but with all those happy activist we will end up there eventually...

Vytas what you are saying makes all kinds of sense

I still think animals should have some kind of rights, so we can't torture them or make them go extinct. All life is sacred in my eyes and if we don't take care of it we are screwed, no food from the animals, no oxygen from the plants, no pollination from the bees (who are dying in large numbers and it should be a cause for concern). If we take care of them, they will take care of us. Im sure all the money we made will come in real handy when the Earth has been paved over and everything is dead.

I know thats a bit dramatic but I have strong feelings about this stuff
This post was last modified: 05-29-2015, 05:10 PM by The Creeper.

05-30-2015, 02:10 AM #10
Thy Unveiling
Chaplain
(05-29-2015, 03:26 PM)The Creeper Wrote:  Elephants, dolphins, whales and the great apes are intelligent creatures. Fact.

It doesn't matter if you believe in evolution or not, most animals have a nervous system and are capable of feeling pain. The only people who think that animals don't have thoughts or feeling have never had pets or worked with animals.

Human rights may not apply to animals because they can't understand our insane system, even I struggle to wrap my head round it someimes. But animals do deserve a life free from pain, suffering and isolation.

If our species is so vastly superior being the masters of the universe and shit why do we need to brutalise all other forms of life? You want to test something you should test it on yourself or find a volunteer, these creatures don't have a choice.

I agree. There is no good reason for animal testing, or even making non-consumables using animal products when there are better alternatives available. Animals most certainly do deserve more rights, more respect, better lives and better treatment.

Brenon's joke made it click for me what this chimps getting human rights (if its the same rights as ours, then essentially it'll soon be none) could very well lead to. We all focus on the p***philia rampant in the world, we forget the sick ptb are also into beastiality. The animals can't speak (verbally) for themselves
so the chances of whistleblowers coming out is rather low. Unless a chimp signs it out.