#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
MMA/UFC Fan Thread

07-01-2015, 09:58 AM #1
Loki
Chaplain
Thought about making this a little before the Aldo v. McGregor fight in two weeks, but now with the news that Aldo has pulled out I thought I'd go ahead and make it so any fans can lament about this fight being lost. Not that Mendes isn't a great fight still but damn I wanted to see Conor put a beating on Aldo.

“Life is neither good or evil, but only a place for good and evil.”
Marcus Aurelius

"In my opinion, there is a more scientific approach we can take to all hot-button issues. We do this when we stop demonizing the opposing viewpoints or victimizing ourselves, and we acknowledge and account for our own biases and emotions to the best of our ability."
--- Elliott C. Morgan
The following 1 user Likes Loki's post:
  • slave_of_God

07-01-2015, 10:57 AM #2
MaryJane
Marshall
I like McGregor, but he's sooo cocky!!! I guess he's earned it though lol
The following 1 user Likes MaryJane's post:
  • slave_of_God

07-01-2015, 11:43 AM #3
Goku
Chaplain
You like MMA as well? Loki my man!

I'm an avid MMA fan and have been following it since around 2006.

I love Aldo, always have done, but Conor McGregor is arguably my favourite MMA fighter right now after Nick Diaz and Roy Nelson just due to his attitude, skill & confidence.

I've been saying for a while Mcgregor will beat Aldo, regardless of his leg strength and title defences - then he goes and backs out of the most hyped fight in UFC history over a bruised rib? (Which the American doctor said, then the Brazilian one said he had a cracked rib Huh

Aldo knew the fight was happening a year ago like everyone else so he should have been more careful when training closer to the fight. Plus it's the 6th defence he's pulled out of, THAT is the main reason he hasn't lost a fight in 10 years, so that's not a reason he'll beat Mcgregor.

Fair enough it's better he said it now rather than after the Conor fight because that'd look even worse, but still, I'm so disappointed and arguably kind of angry that Aldo didn't man up or look after himself properly.

NOW, we have Conor vs Chad Mendes for the interim title who went 5 rounds with Aldo, has a bigger build and is ranked #2 in the UFC lightweight rankings. It will be a tougher fight for Conor simply due to Mendes' wrestling abilities but any fight with Conor will be epic and entertaining, I'm sure the audience won't be disappointed - Ofc I want Conor to win.

Werdun beating Cain though?!? I didn't see it coming but was happy it did!
The following 2 users Like Goku's post:
  • slave_of_God, Loki

07-01-2015, 12:17 PM #4
Loki
Chaplain
(07-01-2015, 11:43 AM)Goku Wrote:  You like MMA as well? Loki my man!

I'm an avid MMA fan and have been following it since around 2006.

I love Aldo, always have done, but Conor McGregor is arguably my favourite MMA fighter right now after Nick Diaz and Roy Nelson just due to his attitude, skill & confidence.

I've been saying for a while Mcgregor will beat Aldo, regardless of his leg strength and title defences - then he goes and backs out of the most hyped fight in UFC history over a bruised rib? (Which the American doctor said, then the Brazilian one said he had a cracked rib Huh

Aldo knew the fight was happening a year ago like everyone else so he should have been more careful when training closer to the fight. Plus it's the 6th defence he's pulled out of, THAT is the main reason he hasn't lost a fight in 10 years, so that's not a reason he'll beat Mcgregor.

Fair enough it's better he said it now rather than after the Conor fight because that'd look even worse, but still, I'm so disappointed and arguably kind of angry that Aldo didn't man up or look after himself properly.

NOW, we have Conor vs Chad Mendes for the interim title who went 5 rounds with Aldo, has a bigger build and is ranked #2 in the UFC lightweight rankings. It will be a tougher fight for Conor simply due to Mendes' wrestling abilities but any fight with Conor will be epic and entertaining, I'm sure the audience won't be disappointed - Ofc I want Conor to win.

Werdun beating Cain though?!? I didn't see it coming but was happy it did!

Conor has become my favorite fighter by far. I could listen to that dude read a menu for twenty minutes haha, he cracks me up. I can understand why some people get annoyed by trash talk, but when it's as entertaining as his is and he can back it up then I just love it. I loved Chael's trash talk too because he was great at it, unfortunately he very rarely backed it up.

I think Mendes is definitely the tougher fight for him. I thought Mendes would have won the second fight with Aldo if Aldo weren't the champion, the champion always tends to get preference. And the first fight I'm still mad at Aldo for cheating. He grabbed the fence to avoid being taken down and when Chad gave up because Aldo was holding the fence he spun around and need him in the face. It was a beautiful knee but I think a win that is directly the result of a foul should be made a No Contest or DQ.

Anyway I think Conor has what it takes to beat Mendes honestly, he has the quickness, the movement, the elusiveness with his foot work and a huge reach advantage (74" to 66" I believe), not to mention surprising stopping power in both hands and a wicked assortment of kicks. If Mendes wins it will be a huge right hand or holding Conor on the ground for five rounds. And while I think this is still a great fight I'm also pissed at Aldo for being so reckless. His sparring partner says he slipped throwing a heel hook and hit him too hard. DON'T THROW HEEL HOOKS AT THE CHAMPION THREE WEEKS BEFORE THE BIGGEST FIGHT OF HIS CAREER!!! If I were Aldo I'd hit that dude for every dollar he just lost me, which is well over a million.

I think it will be interesting to see what the UFC does for promotion if Conor wins and they set up the Aldo bout in November. Just reuse the promos to save money? Might as well. If I were them I'd just ignore Aldo completely, send Conor on a small tour doing pressers and let him get everyone riled up with interview answer and Twitter jabs and then put the fight in Ireland in a stadium and let the Irish fill that shit to the rafters. After 5 or 6 times backing out of fights I think you lose your respect as champion, not to mention all the money they wasted promoting this particular fight.

Marcus Aurelius

"In my opinion, there is a more scientific approach we can take to all hot-button issues. We do this when we stop demonizing the opposing viewpoints or victimizing ourselves, and we acknowledge and account for our own biases and emotions to the best of our ability."
--- Elliott C. Morgan
  • slave_of_God

07-02-2015, 12:03 AM #5
Sarge
Marshall
I've been waiting for you to start a thread on this Loki!

Was everyone really surprised Werdum dismantled Cain?
Biggest disadvantage for him was the long lay off, and he didn't train long enough at that altitude. Really, really bizarre how they didn't figure that one out. He still has an incredible chin and heart, and it will be different if they fight again. Both looked completely gassed after 2 minutes. But props to Werdum for preparing better.

I almost cried when they first suggested Aldo will pull out. You guys have already detailed my thoughts, but srsly what was with the spinning heel kicks bullshit. His training exclusivity needs to be closely monitored by the ufc, otherwise strip him of the belt. Same with all other champions.

That being said, it is still a contact sport, and injuries are expected, even in training. But i still call bullshit on how the story went from him saying he will still fight (bruised rib) to then confirming the withdrawal. I dont know who is responsible for that, or how severe the injury is but thats still bullshit. I dont think ive ever fought in the amateurs without a niggling injury, and its the same with anyone in contact sports. You still fight!

Mendes and mcgregor is a good fight, but why isnt frankie edgar in this equation? hes on a roll and call me naive but i suspect Dana believes mendes will be the easier fight for mcgregor. I'm more of a boxing fan and my boxing friends have been smearing the ufc for revealing its political nature lol
The following 2 users Like Sarge's post:
  • slave_of_God, Loki

07-02-2015, 08:26 AM #6
Loki
Chaplain
(07-02-2015, 12:03 AM)Sarge Wrote:  I've been waiting for you to start a thread on this Loki!

Was everyone really surprised Werdum dismantled Cain?
Biggest disadvantage for him was the long lay off, and he didn't train long enough at that altitude. Really, really bizarre how they didn't figure that one out. He still has an incredible chin and heart, and it will be different if they fight again. Both looked completely gassed after 2 minutes. But props to Werdum for preparing better.

I almost cried when they first suggested Aldo will pull out. You guys have already detailed my thoughts, but srsly what was with the spinning heel kicks bullshit. His training exclusivity needs to be closely monitored by the ufc, otherwise strip him of the belt. Same with all other champions.

That being said, it is still a contact sport, and injuries are expected, even in training. But i still call bullshit on how the story went from him saying he will still fight (bruised rib) to then confirming the withdrawal. I dont know who is responsible for that, or how severe the injury is but thats still bullshit. I dont think ive ever fought in the amateurs without a niggling injury, and its the same with anyone in contact sports. You still fight!

Mendes and mcgregor is a good fight, but why isnt frankie edgar in this equation? hes on a roll and call me naive but i suspect Dana believes mendes will be the easier fight for mcgregor. I'm more of a boxing fan and my boxing friends have been smearing the ufc for revealing its political nature lol

This is apparently the 3D imaging of Aldo's ribs, looks like more than a bruise but I don't really know anything.

The fault still lies completely on his camp and training methods though. 3 weeks from a fight you should be doing light sparring if any sparring. I don't care if his sparring partner slipped or not, don't be throwing spinning kicks and shit. It's just reckless and unprofessional.

As for Mendes over Frankie, I think Frankie is the more dangerous opponent based solely on what he did to Cub. He has developed that oppressive wrestling style and also has quicker hands. That said, Mendes is by far the strongest wrestler in that division so I don't really see this as the UFC avoiding matching Conor with somebody unfavorable. Mendes' heavy wrestling style is exactly what people have been asking for Conor to prove himself against and is likely the last style Conor would like to face. I personally thought Frankie should have gotten the call because he is on a tear and Mendes just lost to Aldo less than a year ago, but according to Dana and Lorenzo it was pretty much a toss up and since at the time Mendes was listed as #1 in the rankings they went with him over Frankie who was #2. I think very shortly after that decision the rankings were voted on again and Frankie became #1, so bad timing if that's the case.

Marcus Aurelius

--- Elliott C. Morgan
  • slave_of_God

07-02-2015, 08:53 AM #7
Kung Fu
Chaplain
The Cain and Werdum fight honestly surprised me but at the same time you know why he lost as well. This was not the same Cain that dismantled Santos. I'm sure Cain will beat who ever he's matched up again, which I believe will be Bigfoot again correct me if I'm wrong, and will then get his chance again at Werdum. Cain's the type of guy that will not lose twice to the same opponent.

Prophet Muhammad (SallAllahu alaihi wasalam) said:

"My similitude and that of the life of this world is that of a traveler who took a rest at mid-day under a shade of a tree and then left it."       (Ahmad, at-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah and al-Hakim)

The following 2 users Like Kung Fu's post:
  • slave_of_God, celle76

07-02-2015, 09:28 AM #8
Loki
Chaplain
(07-02-2015, 08:53 AM)Kung Fu Wrote:  The Cain and Werdum fight honestly surprised me but at the same time you know why he lost as well. This was not the same Cain that dismantled Santos. I'm sure Cain will beat who ever he's matched up again, which I believe will be Bigfoot again correct me if I'm wrong, and will then get his chance again at Werdum. Cain's the type of guy that will not lose twice to the same opponent.

Bigfoot is currently #12 in the rankings and Cain is #1. Doubtful that they face each other again anytime soon, plus Bigfoot is fighting Soa Palelei at UFC 190 currently, and I think he might get smashed in that bout, Soa is a monster. The most likely matchups IMO are Werdum v. either Stipe or Arlovski, Junior v. Alistair Overeem, and Cain vs. Arlovski/Stipe, whichever of those don't get the chance against Werdum.

Marcus Aurelius

--- Elliott C. Morgan
  • slave_of_God

07-20-2015, 03:44 PM #9
Loki
Chaplain
How about that UFC 189? What an incredible card. I can't see how Aldo couldn't feel a bit sheepish not being a part of it and learning that Conor fought with a torn meniscus/MCL. Hopefully they are able to set up McGregor vs. Aldo in December at Dallas Stadium like they want and he doesn't get hurt for that one. I honestly feel like he will but I really hope he doesn't. That said, McGregor vs. Edgar isn't a headliner to scoff at either.

Marcus Aurelius

--- Elliott C. Morgan
  • slave_of_God

07-21-2015, 12:25 AM #10
Chris
Squire
Yeah 189 was probably the best card top to bottom that I've seen.

The 145 division is exciting right now. If Connor beats Aldo that fight with frankie would be cool.

I'm looking forward to Cormier vs Gustaffson. I think he presents a lot of problems for Cormier with the length and vastly improved take down defense.

Masvidal at 170 has been cool, he looks way stronger not having to cut all that weight. Same with Poirier at 155.
The following 1 user Likes Chris's post:
  • slave_of_God