#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
How do you eat? (Religious diets etc)

10-18-2016, 07:48 AM #1
Sidhuriel
Chaplain
I made this thread because I recently read about someone trying to eat more halal or kosher, and I started to wonder how many of you actually follow religious dietary rules or other specific kinds of diets.

Personally I am vegetarian and that coincidentally makes it easy for me to eat halal, because I eat no meat anyway and avoid products with animal byproducts. I also count calories and try to adhere to the government guidelines for healthy eating, so I eat a lot of vegetables and fruit and whole grains. Not so much refined sugar and no alcohol or fizzy drinks.

Since I follow these rules I lost 2.6 stone and I also have better skin. It hasn't cured my illness obviously but I have no typical weight related issues like diabetes, high blood pressure or the likes.

How is that for you? Do you eat kosher/halal/ or otherwise follow a specific diet?

Has it benefited you?
This post was last modified: 10-18-2016, 07:49 AM by Sidhuriel. Edit Reason: forgot to add something

Darkness cannot drive out darkness
Only light can do that
Hate can't drive out hate
Only love can do that
Heart
The following 6 users Like Sidhuriel's post:
  • The Creeper, khadeejah, slave_of_God, Kung Fu, Tarikko, Lotte

10-18-2016, 08:03 AM #2
Lotte
Marshall
I try to buy food/groceries from local shops and farms to support our local business and economy. I avoid supermarket chains and I don't buy food from the "big brands" if it isn't necessary.

I also started to eat less meat. I only have chicken breasts maybe once a week. I rarely eat beef and I avoid pork, because it's way too fatty for my liking.

European Union also requires to modify plant seeds, and vegetables from those have no smell and the taste is bland. I buy seeds from gardeners because they keep the seeds from plants that growed years before that law was enacted.
The following 4 users Like Lotte's post:
  • The Creeper, khadeejah, slave_of_God, Tarikko

10-18-2016, 08:09 AM #3
Todd
Chaplain
I'm not super strict about my diet....more the everything in moderation philosophy.  I definitely am trying to eat less sugar and processed foods and in the process of removing pork and shell fish from my diet as much as possible.  Still eat plenty of chicken and beef.   Wink

I believe God gave us some basic food instructions in the Bible, that are beneficial to observe.  I don't believe it has anything to do with salvation, but simply our creator giving us guidelines of how to best take care of the temporal physical bodies he created for us.  Basically if we don't follow his guidelines we have little right to complain to him about the results we are getting Big Grin

Then shall the king say to those on his right hand, Come ye, the blessed of my Father, inherit the reign that hath been prepared for you from the foundation of the world;

And the king answering, shall say to them, Verily I say to you, Inasmuch as ye did to one of these my brethren -- the least -- to me ye did
The following 6 users Like Todd's post:
  • The Creeper, MaryJane, khadeejah, slave_of_God, Kung Fu, Sidhuriel

10-18-2016, 08:27 AM #4
Sidhuriel
Chaplain
(10-18-2016, 08:09 AM)Todd Wrote:  I'm not super strict about my diet....more the everything in moderation philosophy.  I definitely am trying to eat less sugar and processed foods and in the process of removing pork and shell fish from my diet as much as possible.  Still eat plenty of chicken and beef.   Wink

I believe God gave us some basic food instructions in the Bible, that are beneficial to observe.  I don't believe it has anything to do with salvation, but simply our creator giving us guidelines of how to best take care of the temporal physical bodies he created for us.  Basically if we don't follow his guidelines we have little right to complain to him about the results we are getting Big Grin

Yeah He did, in the Qu'ran too. The emphasis is always on fruit and vegetables, meat etc are allowed but not mentioned as much as fruit, veg and bread. That should be a hint, and science is proving that it's healthy to make them the focus of your diet too.

Genesis 1:29
Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.

Genesis 9:3
Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.

So the base of our diet should be veg I think. The rest is an addition.

Only light can do that
Only love can do that
Heart
The following 5 users Like Sidhuriel's post:
  • The Creeper, khadeejah, slave_of_God, Tarikko, Todd

10-18-2016, 08:37 AM #5
Todd
Chaplain
(10-18-2016, 08:27 AM)Sidhuriel Wrote:  
(10-18-2016, 08:09 AM)Todd Wrote:  I'm not super strict about my diet....more the everything in moderation philosophy.  I definitely am trying to eat less sugar and processed foods and in the process of removing pork and shell fish from my diet as much as possible.  Still eat plenty of chicken and beef.   Wink

Yeah He did, in the Qu'ran too. The emphasis is always on fruit and vegetables, meat etc are allowed but not mentioned as much as fruit, veg and bread. That should be a hint, and science is proving that it's healthy to make them the focus of your diet too.

Genesis 1:29
Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.

Genesis 9:3
Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.

So the base of our diet should be veg I think. The rest is an addition.

Hey slow down....I'm getting rid of the pork and shellfish.  I am eating more fruit, but vegetables just don't do it for me.  Don't get me wrong,  I eat my veggies with my meat, but the thought of sitting down to eat vegetables all by themselves does not interest me yet.....maybe some day I'll get there Big Grin

Then shall the king say to those on his right hand, Come ye, the blessed of my Father, inherit the reign that hath been prepared for you from the foundation of the world;

And the king answering, shall say to them, Verily I say to you, Inasmuch as ye did to one of these my brethren -- the least -- to me ye did
The following 5 users Like Todd's post:
  • The Creeper, khadeejah, slave_of_God, AndrianaStark, Tarikko

10-18-2016, 08:50 AM #6
Kung Fu
Chaplain
I get my meat from a local halal meat shop. Everything is done the right way and not through some slaughter factory. With that being said, I have cut down my intake of meat considerably. I have meat about twice a week. My diet consists mainly of oatmeal, rice, potatoes, Greek yogurt, vegetables, fruits, beans, and nuts.

I count my calories as well but 100 calories here or there never hurt anybody, right?

Prophet Muhammad (SallAllahu alaihi wasalam) said:

"My similitude and that of the life of this world is that of a traveler who took a rest at mid-day under a shade of a tree and then left it."       (Ahmad, at-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah and al-Hakim)

The following 6 users Like Kung Fu's post:
  • The Creeper, khadeejah, slave_of_God, AndrianaStark, Tarikko, Sidhuriel

10-18-2016, 08:52 AM #7
Todd
Chaplain
(10-18-2016, 08:50 AM)Kung Fu Wrote:  I get my meat from a local halal meat shop. Everything is done the right way and not through some slaughter factory. With that being said, I have cut down my intake of meat considerably. I have meat about twice a week. My diet consists mainly of oatmeal, rice, potatoes, Greek yogurt, vegetables, fruits, beans, and nuts.

I count my calories as well but 100 calories here or there never hurt anybody, right?

Nope....I'd rather go the the gym for an extra half hour or run another 2 miles than count calories Big Grin

The following 4 users Like Todd's post:
  • The Creeper, slave_of_God, Tarikko, Kung Fu

10-18-2016, 08:52 AM #8
Sidhuriel
Chaplain
(10-18-2016, 08:37 AM)Todd Wrote:  Hey slow down....I'm getting rid of the pork and shellfish.  I am eating more fruit, but vegetables just don't do it for me.  Don't get me wrong,  I eat my veggies with my meat, but the thought of sitting down to eat vegetables all by themselves does not interest me yet.....maybe some day I'll get there Big Grin

Sorry if I was unclear, but I meant that veg & fruit should be the base of the diet, not the only things we eat Smile

What you're doing is great already Todd Heart

It took me 10 years before I was fully vegetarian so I only think you're doing a great job!

Only light can do that
Only love can do that
Heart
The following 3 users Like Sidhuriel's post:
  • The Creeper, slave_of_God, Tarikko

10-18-2016, 08:55 AM #9
Sidhuriel
Chaplain
(10-18-2016, 08:50 AM)Kung Fu Wrote:  I get my meat from a local halal meat shop. Everything is done the right way and not through some slaughter factory. With that being said, I have cut down my intake of meat considerably. I have meat about twice a week. My diet consists mainly of oatmeal, rice, potatoes, Greek yogurt, vegetables, fruits, beans, and nuts.

No of course not, but if I don't count calories I logically get fat because I'm often too ill to exercise. If I were healthy enough I'd also rather go to the gym for those extra cals. Since I started counting them, the weight drops steadily so I will keep doing it so I will finally get to a healthy weight Insha'Allah Smile

Your diet sounds really healthy Smile

Only light can do that
Only love can do that
Heart
The following 4 users Like Sidhuriel's post:
  • The Creeper, slave_of_God, Tarikko, Kung Fu

10-18-2016, 08:57 AM #10
Kung Fu
Chaplain
(10-18-2016, 08:52 AM)Todd Wrote:  

Nope....I'd rather go the the gym for an extra half hour or run another 2 miles than count calories Big Grin

Honestly, I could go over 400 calories and it wouldn't affect me much because of how active I am. After my evening training session, I can't help myself when it comes to having some chocolate. What makes it worse is my wife always has some lying on the coffee table staring me in the face. Those extra calories all come from the chocolate lol.

Does anyone else cave in when it comes to chocolate late at night?

Prophet Muhammad (SallAllahu alaihi wasalam) said:

"My similitude and that of the life of this world is that of a traveler who took a rest at mid-day under a shade of a tree and then left it."       (Ahmad, at-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah and al-Hakim)

The following 4 users Like Kung Fu's post:
  • The Creeper, MaryJane, slave_of_God, Tarikko