#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Miss Frizzle was a witch (and other kids shows)

10-13-2016, 02:58 AM #1
Thy Unveiling
Chaplain
My daughter is obsessed with The Magic School Bus. I used to like the books as a kid but never got into the show since it came out when I was older. But watching the show with her, I can't help but think Miss Frizzle has got to be a witch. The bus is magic, obviously, but how did she end up with it? If it's just the bus that's magic, how does she change the pattern of her dress with a simple movement of her arm? (In one episode she was wearing a dress with flowers on it. Then she moved her arm and suddenly there were ants added to it.) She even has her pet lizard around all the time, a lizard with unusual talents, which could be her familiar.

Also, the line in the theme song (also in relation to a specific episode) about "you might get baked into a pie" seems fairly cannibalistic. There's another line in the theme, something like "cross a river of lava" Idk maybe I'm over-analyzing, but she seems to put those kids in dangerous situations regularly with no regard to their safety. You could argue that the bus and enchantments keep them safe. Still. She's gotta be a witch.

Though most fans theorize she's a Time Lord and the bus is her TARDIS. Some speculate she's River Song from Doctor Who. I don't think so, though.

"Be the change you want to see in the world"

There's only one true judge and that's God; so chill and let Our Father do His job
The following 6 users Like Thy Unveiling's post:
  • Lotte, Ambuler, DesertRose1, Trenton, MaryJane, slave_of_God

10-13-2016, 04:25 AM #2
slave_of_God
Justiciar
I agree with you on that. I mean i have quite the same views as you. The word ''frizzle'' itself reeks of witchcraft.

There is no god besides The Formless and Only Unique and Indivisible God
"My heart is at ease knowing that what was meant for me will never
miss me and that what misses me was never meant for me"
The following 2 users Like slave_of_God's post:
  • DesertRose1, Thy Unveiling

10-14-2016, 10:39 PM #3
Thy Unveiling
Chaplain
I thought the name was more in reference to her frizzy hair. But perhaps you may be on to something. I cannot pretend I'm well versed in languages other than English. I know "cereal box" french (being Canadian, everything sold here has labels in both English and French), very very little Spanish (it is slowly becoming like french here, being written on many "wet floor" signs etc), the odd Arabic phrase, and nothing useful in Japanese unless I wanted to swear at someone, or call them mother or father, or tell a Japanese man that I want his male organ. Or I can say "number one"

Why is it always the useless stuff that sticks with us from when we're youg?

Is "frizzle" an Arabic word for witchcraft?

I've been increasingly disturbed with Disney's slogan "Movies, magic, and more." Though I'm grateful that my 11 year old son has a clever enough mind to tell me I shouldn't have as much Disney products as I do in the house. He's right, of course. (I told him as much, but also confessed "This is how They get you. They know what people want, and they do make attractive, good quality products that we can't help but want." He already knows I see no point in spending money on something, even as simple as a broom, if it's "boring and ugly" when I can get a pretty version of the same item for around the same price.)

There's only one true judge and that's God; so chill and let Our Father do His job
The following 2 users Like Thy Unveiling's post:
  • DesertRose1, slave_of_God

10-17-2016, 03:19 PM #4
markymark1991
Marshall
just been watching magic school bus on netflix with my step son would say its harmless fun theres alot worse out there nowadays
The following 3 users Like markymark1991's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, DesertRose1, slave_of_God

10-17-2016, 03:52 PM #5
slave_of_God
Justiciar
(10-14-2016, 10:39 PM)Thy Unveiling Wrote:  Is "frizzle" an Arabic word for witchcraft?

i don't know
to me frizzle
is like making

hand signs where
sparky currents seem
to sprout out

from hence frizzle
sounding like reeking
of disgusting witchcraft

Undecided

There is no god besides The Formless and Only Unique and Indivisible God
"My heart is at ease knowing that what was meant for me will never
miss me and that what misses me was never meant for me"
The following 2 users Like slave_of_God's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, DesertRose1

10-17-2016, 10:21 PM #6
Thy Unveiling
Chaplain
Ah. Makes sense Ab. Thank you for explaining.

Funky Bunch; you're absolutely right that there's a lot worse out there. While it concerns me how obsessed my little one is with the show, I figure at least she is learning something. That bee episode disturbs me, though. It's freaky af seeing bees with the heads of children, and the kids heads with long tongues protruding....yet she thinks it's great. Ah well. Clearly she's made of tougher stuff than her mother lol

• markymark1991, slave_of_God

10-18-2016, 07:45 AM #7
Lotte
Marshall
I don't remember seeing this show as a kid, since I live in Central Europe, but Cartoon Network was here like 11 years back. I remember watching the show Courage the Cowardly Dog, and some episodes scared me. It was entertaining, but creepy. That show puts today's horror movies in shame.
The following 2 users Like Lotte's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, slave_of_God

10-20-2016, 01:50 AM #8
Thy Unveiling
Chaplain
I have heard of this Courage dog show, but I have never seen it.

Looking back at a lot of shows I grew up with, it is no surprise that I became a very forward girl. I never noticed then how Babs Bunny threw herself at Buster on Tiny Toons, or just how horny the Animaniacs were. That being said; I still find those shows enjoyable and clever.

• Lotte, slave_of_God