#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
What do you pray for?

10-10-2016, 07:28 PM #1
ChoiSeungHyun
Squire
What do you pray for when you're talking to God? What do you usually say and ask?
The following 7 users Like ChoiSeungHyun's post:
  • khadeejah, Vytas, Orwell's mentor, mrgrimm, slave_of_God, Tarikko, The Creeper

10-10-2016, 07:34 PM #2
Todd
Chaplain
(10-10-2016, 07:28 PM)ChoiSeungHyun Wrote:  What do you pray for when you're talking to God? What do you usually say and ask?

I pray that God would give me to the ability to see my neighbor as he sees them and give me the grace and compassion to love everyone unconditionally.  I also pray that he shows me how to be a better a husband and father.  

Mostly prayer for me is about listening though.  Listening to hear what God wants me to do, and what he wants to change in me as far as character and integrity goes.  So yeah that usually leads to some repentance when he shows me where I've missed the mark.  

And sure now and then I might pray for something I want, but I don't spend too  much time on that.  I figure God already knows what my desires are...if I seek after him, he knows what desires of mine he will fulfill and which ones really aren't that good for me.

Then shall the king say to those on his right hand, Come ye, the blessed of my Father, inherit the reign that hath been prepared for you from the foundation of the world;

And the king answering, shall say to them, Verily I say to you, Inasmuch as ye did to one of these my brethren -- the least -- to me ye did

10-10-2016, 07:41 PM #3
ChoiSeungHyun
Squire
(10-10-2016, 07:34 PM)Todd Wrote:  
(10-10-2016, 07:28 PM)ChoiSeungHyun Wrote:  What do you pray for when you're talking to God? What do you usually say and ask?

I pray that God would give me to the ability to see my neighbor as he sees them and give me the grace and compassion to love everyone unconditionally.  I also pray that he shows me how to be a better a husband and father.  

Mostly prayer for me is about listening though.  Listening to hear what God wants me to do, and what he wants to change in me as far as character and integrity goes.  So yeah that usually leads to some repentance when he shows me where I've missed the mark.  

And sure now and then I might pray for something I want, but I don't spend too  much time on that.  I figure God already knows what my desires are...if I seek after him, he knows what desires of mine he will fulfill and which ones really aren't that good for me.

Thank you for such a deep answer!  It's really interesting to hear that kind of praying experience from someone! Smile
I haven't even think about asking God to show me someone in the way He sees that person, wow.
The following 7 users Like ChoiSeungHyun's post:
  • khadeejah, Vytas, Orwell's mentor, Lady, slave_of_God, Tarikko, The Creeper

10-10-2016, 08:17 PM #4
Trenton
Justiciar
When i pray, I start with the lords prayer, and then tell him i love him. Then i often pray for the protection of me and my loved ones, and to bring protection and help to those in need around the world. 

Then i ask him to forgive my sins, and to help me overcome them. I end with trying to listen in my heart gor any answers he might have for me. And then i ask for discernment. Amen

Thats when i lay down for bed each night.

During the day i usually just clasp my hands in private and thank God. And sometimes ask him for strength to overcome a stressful situation.

If im really scared/upset or particularly repentant about something i get down on my knees and face, and repent about my actions.
This post was last modified: 10-10-2016, 08:18 PM by Trenton.

I know you're coming in the night like a thief, but I've had some time alone, to hone my lying technique. I know you think that I'm someone you can trust, but I'm scared I'll get scared, and I swear I'll try to nail you back up. So do you think that we could work out a sign, so I'll know it's you and that it's over so I won't even try? I know you're coming for the people like me. We've all got wood and nails, turned out in a hate factory.
The following 11 users Like Trenton's post:
  • khadeejah, Vytas, Orwell's mentor, Lady, mrgrimm, slave_of_God, ChoiSeungHyun, Alex, Tarikko, The Creeper, Todd

10-11-2016, 01:21 AM #5
Sidhuriel
Chaplain
Prayer is a continuous thing for me, I pray the five times a day Islam requires but I also talk to God throughout the day.

When I see something beautiful I think of Him, when something good happens, when I start to eat etc. I remember Him in everything I do and everywhere I go.

During prayer I feel an intense peace, I have even had it move me to tears several times. The presence of God I have experienced a few times this year and each time it has been overwhelmingly beautiful, I am very grateful for that Heart

I usually pray for myself to be steady and firm in my faith, for my friends and family to find the Truth, for the world to stop fighting (someone's gotta do it Rolleyes  ) , for my health to improve or for God to make it bearable for me no matter how bad it gets.

Most of the time though, I steadily believe  in ''Thy will be done, Thy kingdom come'' because what God's will is can never be bad for me as a mortal even if I perceive it as inconvenient now.

And I see enough of my prayers answered to know that He is listening Smile
This post was last modified: 10-11-2016, 01:21 AM by Sidhuriel.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness
Only light can do that
Hate can't drive out hate
Only love can do that
Heart

10-11-2016, 03:32 AM #6
The Creeper
Chaplain
I try to ask God only for the very best things when I make dua'a. Sometimes I don't know what to ask for (seriously, what words do I have for GOD?) and just meditating on His Oneness is enough.

I pray for my brothers and sisters, what I want for myself.

If I ask for something for myself, I hope it is granted to the others seeking the same things.

God will answer my prayers in whatever ways he sees fit. If He even chooses to answer them, but He most definitely hears them, every single word whispered into the night.
This post was last modified: 10-11-2016, 03:33 AM by The Creeper.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool – William Shakespear

10-11-2016, 03:34 AM #7
Sidhuriel
Chaplain
(10-11-2016, 03:32 AM)The Creeper Wrote:  I try to ask God only for the very best things when I make dua'a. Sometimes I don't know what to ask for (seriously, what words do I have for GOD?) and just meditating on His Oneness is enough.

I pray for my brothers and sisters, what I want for myself.

If I ask for something for myself, I hope it is granted to the others seeking the same things.

God will answer my prayers in whatever ways he sees fit. If He even chooses to answer them, but he most definitely hears them, every single word whispered into the night.

That is something I literally pray for often too.

And most of the time when I am tired I just ask for forgiveness, because after all that is something I definitely need..

Darkness cannot drive out darkness
Only light can do that
Hate can't drive out hate
Only love can do that
Heart

10-11-2016, 03:40 AM #8
Al Mualim
Knight
Anything and everything because God has the ability to grant it.

Are you fulfilling the rights of your Lord, body, family and place of work?
Peace be upon you! 

10-11-2016, 06:38 AM #9
slave_of_God
Justiciar
Arberry Translation: Your Lord has said, 'Call upon Me and I will answer you. Surely those who wax too proud to do Me service shall enter Gehenna utterly abject.' (40:60)  Shy

Everlasting Wishes, In Sha Allah.  Blush

For as you have asked from Him, you have already been granted it, whether you've seen it or not.  Heart
This post was last modified: 10-11-2016, 07:08 AM by slave_of_God. Edit Reason: Correction.

There is no god besides The Formless and Only Unique and Indivisible God
"My heart is at ease knowing that what was meant for me will never
miss me and that what misses me was never meant for me"
The following 8 users Like slave_of_God's post:
  • khadeejah, Trenton, Sidhuriel, Orwell's mentor, The Creeper, ChoiSeungHyun, Tarikko, Lady

10-11-2016, 06:58 AM #10
Tarikko
Chaplain
Usually I ask Allah for the most important thing anyone can ever think of:

To reunite me and my loved ones in His eternal abode, where no death, sorrow, anguish, illness or weariness can touch us.

Can you think of anything greater than that?

Even death is not a catastrophe per se, since God will raise us up again

The ultimate loss is for two who loved one another in this life, one to end up in heaven and the other in hell.. that's the ultimate loss...

I also ask Allah to cause me to die before my own children and to never harm anyone in their kids

I make a prayer for those I hold dear from family and friends... For Allah to guide them to a straight path

And I also ask the All Mighty to always grant victory to good over evil, in this one and the next!

“The lies (Western slander) which well-meaning zeal has heaped round this man (Muhammad) are disgraceful to ourselves only.”

― Thomas Carlyle, On Heroes, Hero Worship and the Heroic in History

The following 7 users Like Tarikko's post:
  • Serendipity, khadeejah, Trenton, Orwell's mentor, The Creeper, Sidhuriel, slave_of_God