#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Any garden people?

10-08-2016, 12:56 PM #1
turtleheart
Squire
Hi guys,
  I'm a complete beginner in gardening. Just 3 months ago I planted my first seeds. Most of them grow about 6 inches then wilt and die.

I am trying to grow cucumbers, bellpeppers and tomatoe. The seeds I bought were cheap... I am not sure if thats the reason they dont make it. 
I water my plants every day. What am I doing wrong ?
 Any tips?
This post was last modified: 10-08-2016, 01:03 PM by turtleheart. Edit Reason: spelling
The following 5 users Like turtleheart's post:
  • khadeejah, Tarikko, Pront, Vytas, slave_of_God

10-08-2016, 01:25 PM #2
slave_of_God
Justiciar
Ask The Formless And Ever-Watchful Creator of everything to bless your crops.

He it is Who Created the soil and all its produce.

By His Will, does rain fall and do crops grow.

There is no god besides The Formless and Only Unique and Indivisible God
"My heart is at ease knowing that what was meant for me will never
miss me and that what misses me was never meant for me"
The following 3 users Like slave_of_God's post:
  • Kung Fu, khadeejah, Tarikko

10-08-2016, 01:54 PM #3
luna
Marshall
Do you think possibly you could be overwatering? I did this too in the beginning. Also what about the soil? Could be a nutritional deficiency. Not really sure how you're going about this or how porous the soil is, but good soil needs to have balanced nutrients along with good drainage. I'm sorry, I'm not an expert, just throwing some ideas out there.

Is there a nursery nearby with some experts you could ask or who could help you diagnose this? I go to one nearby for any of my questions.

Well, idk how much that helps, but I tried. I think you'll get some good responses though, and I'm sure someone else will come along with some better tips soon. I hope your garden starts to grow more fruitfully, TH.

Good luck!
This post was last modified: 11-10-2016, 08:47 PM by luna. Edit Reason: To remove personal information.
The following 8 users Like luna's post:
  • cookie, Kung Fu, khadeejah, Lady, Tarikko, slave_of_God, Pront, Vytas

10-08-2016, 02:04 PM #4
turtleheart
Squire
Thank you, Luna.

I thought that I might be over watering, but where I am at it gets very hot and the soil dries quickly. I noticed that if I didnt water every day they would start to turn yellow. Thats why I water every day early morning.
If it rains then I dont. 
I started the seeds in little pots and when they were about six inches I transfered them to the ground. I just dug up the soil myself and bought some  potting soil to fill the hole with.
The following 4 users Like turtleheart's post:
  • cookie, khadeejah, Tarikko, slave_of_God

10-08-2016, 02:09 PM #5
Vytas
Justiciar
(10-08-2016, 12:56 PM)turtleheart Wrote:  Hi guys,
  I'm a complete beginner in gardening. Just 3 months ago I planted my first seeds. Most of them grow about 6 inches then wilt and die.

I am trying to grow cucumbers, bellpeppers and tomatoe. The seeds I bought were cheap... I am not sure if thats the reason they dont make it. 
I water my plants every day. What am I doing wrong ?
 Any tips?

You will be good at it after some 50+ years of experience I promise Smile Some are gifted though...
Where do you keep them...Greenhouse, outside, balcony? Because it matters a lot... Few small advices, you have to sow everything according to lunar cycles, learn about it, google is not that bad, life long gardener would be better...
If they are in greenhouse it's ok to water them everyday if they are somewhere else only tomatoes require that...Tomatoes wants heat and humidity, and space...Don't water leaves only roots...Cucumbers wants sun the more than anything also, sticks for growing upwards (Not necessarily but better), they do not need place or weeding, unless it's very hot greenhouse try watering every second day and with moderation... I do not eat bellpeppers so i know nothing about them...So things to learn for starters 1 temperature 2 moisture 3 lunar cycles 3 need of sun 4 not drowning your vegetables, you can worry about seeds after that, unless it's gmo off course...

Truth is precious it's guarded by God
The following 3 users Like Vytas's post:
  • khadeejah, Tarikko, slave_of_God

10-09-2016, 02:45 PM #6
peony
Marshall
If your plants were doing fine before you transferred them to the garden, then they might not like your garden soil and/or the potting soil that you used. Maybe you fertilize too much or too little. I don't know, gardening can be tricky.
I know that tomatoes like a lot of sun, and you should water only their roots not the leaves. I love home grown tomatoes.
This post was last modified: 10-09-2016, 03:22 PM by peony.
The following 5 users Like peony's post:
  • cookie, khadeejah, slave_of_God, Vytas, Tarikko

10-09-2016, 05:02 PM #7
slave_of_God
Justiciar

The following 4 users Like slave_of_God's post:
  • Al Mualim, Tarikko, khadeejah, Lady

10-09-2016, 09:10 PM #8
MaryJane
Marshall
I haven't gotten serious about gardening, as I live in an apartment and there is very little space. Are you using high-quality soil? I wish I would have paid more attention growing up. My mom was an avid gardener. We were always dragged into it, so it was more of a "chore" than a hobby. Anyway, what I've learned is: 1.Compost; eggs, fruits, veggies, potato skins, things like that, you can keep them in a bin outside. 2. Lasagna Gardening; layering your soil with newspaper, leaves, grass clippings, leaves, peat moss and compost, good soil. Build your layers and plant seeds. Look it up, its great, no weeding or tilling! Good luck, and please share what you learn too!
This post was last modified: 10-09-2016, 09:12 PM by MaryJane. Edit Reason: grammar
The following 3 users Like MaryJane's post:
  • slave_of_God, Tarikko, Vytas

10-10-2016, 01:06 PM #9
ChoiSeungHyun
Squire
I want to grow lemons and oranges lol
The following 2 users Like ChoiSeungHyun's post:
  • Al Mualim, slave_of_God

10-10-2016, 01:20 PM #10
slave_of_God
Justiciar
(10-10-2016, 01:06 PM)ChoiSeungHyun Wrote:  I want to grow lemons and oranges lol

God Willing, you will be able to. Heart

Did you introduce yourself already ChoiSeungHyun?

I'm sorry if i didn't yet check the introduction section or i may have forgotten.  Shy

God Bless you, Amen, Smile

The following 2 users Like slave_of_God's post:
  • ChoiSeungHyun, Tarikko