#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Female chess players forced to wear hijab at Iran-hosted world championship

10-02-2016, 12:42 AM #1
Thunderian
Chaplain
I thought the hijab was a choice.  Why force women who aren't Muslim to wear it?  What happened to no compulsion in religion?

Quote:Female chess players forced to wear hijab as governing body awards world championship to Iran

The world's top female chess players have reacted with horror after being told they must compete at next year's world championship wearing a hijab.

Within hours of Iran being revealed as its host country, the prestigious event was plunged into crisis as it emerged players taking part face arrest if they don't cover up.

In response, Grandmasters lined up to say they would boycott the 64-player knock-out and accused the game's scandal-hit governing body Fide of failing to stand up for women’s rights.

Fide's Commission for Women's Chess, meanwhile, called on participants to respect “cultural differences” and accept the regulations.

Hijabs have been mandatory for women in Iran since the Islamic Revolution of 1979 and the strict law is enforced by the country's "morality police".

Any woman found not wearing one in public faces arrest, a fine or public admonishment. However, players claim by awarding the event to Iran Fide is turning a blind eye to sexual discrimination.

Nazi Paikidze, the US women's champion, also raised concerns about players' safety in the Islamic republic.

She said: "It is absolutely unacceptable to host one of the most important women's tournaments in a venue where, to this day, women are forced to cover up with a hijab.

"I understand and respect cultural differences. But, failing to comply can lead to imprisonment and women's rights are being severely restricted in general.

"It does not feel safe for women from around the world to play here.” Paikidze added: "I am honoured and proud to have qualified to represent the United States in the Women’s World Championship. But, if the situation remains unchanged, I will most certainly not participate in this event."

The U.S. Department of State has issued a warning about travelling to Iran saying citizens risk being unjustly imprisoned or kidnapped because of their nationality.

Former Pan American champion Carla Heredia, from Ecuador, added: "No institution, no government, nor a Women's World Chess Championship should force women to wear or to take out a hijab.

"This violates all what sports means. Sport should be free of discrimination by sex, religion and sexual orientation.

"The obligation to use hijab is one issue, another one is that women can't share room with a male if she is not married to him.

"So the question remains what would happen if women chess players want to share the room with a male coach or if women chess players want to prepare for the game visiting the coach's room.”

Fide held a smaller Grand Prix event in Iran earlier this year where female players were required to wear the hijab. The Telegraph understands several players were left angry about having to use the scarf.

Nigel Short, the British former world title contender, said: "There are people from all sorts of backgrounds going to this, there will be atheists, Christians, all sorts of people.

"If you are deeply Christian why would you want to wear a symbol of Islamic oppression of women?"

Susan Polgar, the Hungarian-born American Grandmaster and chair of Fide's Commission for Women's Chess, responded by defending the federation and saying women should respect "cultural differences".

She said: "I have travelled to nearly 60 countries. When I visited different places with different cultures, I like to show my respect by dressing up in their traditional style of clothing. No one asked me to do it. I just do it out of respect.

"I personally would have no issues with wearing a head scarf (hijab) as long as it is the same to all players. I believe the organisers provided beautiful choices for past participants of Women's Grand Prix.

"I cannot speak on behalf of others but from my personal conversations with various players in the past year, they had no real issues with it.

"If any player has a problem with it, she can and should voice her opinion to the Commission for Women's Chess or Fide and we can address it in our next meeting."

Fide is already reeling after its president, the eccentric multi-millionaire Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, was placed on a US sanctions list for alleged business dealings with Syrian president Bashar al-Assad's regime.

Ilyumzhinov has repeatedly denied the allegations and continued to act as leader despite claiming he temporarily delegated his powers to his deputy Georgios Makropoulos.

Earlier this month a planned motion to impeach Ilyumzhinov was thrown out by the Fide’s General Assembly at a meeting in Baku.

The Telegraph tried to contact Fide, but the federation has not responded.

link
This post was last modified: 10-02-2016, 12:43 AM by Thunderian. Edit Reason: ... fixed the title
The following 2 users Like Thunderian's post:
  • bong, slave_of_God

10-02-2016, 06:02 AM #2
Serendipity
Justiciar
Weren't there sports competitions where the hijab wasn't allowed?

Aren't the anti-immigration camps screaming 'fit in or fuck off' all the time?! What happened to that now? :p Anyway, I believe wherever you go, you need to align with the rules of that country.
This post was last modified: 10-02-2016, 09:12 AM by Serendipity.

"Happiness only real when shared" - Christopher McCandless
The following 5 users Like Serendipity's post:
  • Serveto, Nami, AndrianaStark, Kung Fu, slave_of_God

10-02-2016, 08:06 AM #3
slave_of_God
Justiciar
“Dice” refers to what is used nowadays for playing backgammon, which is played on a special table. It was narrated in the ahaadeeth that it is haraam.  
Abu Dawood (4938) narrated from Abu Moosa al-Ash’ari that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever plays dice has disobeyed Allaah and His Messenger.” (Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood, 4129) 
Muslim (2260) narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever plays dice is like one who has dipped his hand in the flesh and blood of a pig.” Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “This hadeeth is quoted as evidence by al-Shaafa’i and the majority of scholars to prove that playing dice is haraam. The phrase ‘dipped his hand in the flesh and blood of a pig’ refers to eating it, and this simile is used to show that this is haraam because it is haraam to eat that.” 

There is no god besides The Formless and Only Unique and Indivisible God
"My heart is at ease knowing that what was meant for me will never
miss me and that what misses me was never meant for me"
The following 2 users Like slave_of_God's post:
  • Alex, Tarikko

10-02-2016, 10:13 PM #4
Alex
Chaplain
Why do you think Iran speaks for Islam? Is it supposed to be some kind of representation of Islam? Last i heard Iran was mostly Shia, who curse the sahabah and worship the graves.

Haters gotta hate i suppose. Any chance to spit at the moon compels you to post, doesn't it Thud?

Does Ukraine speak for Christianity? Last i heard it was overran with neo-nazis courtesy of the United states of Israel.

~Umar Ibn Al-Khattab (ra)

The following 3 users Like Alex's post:
  • Orwell's mentor, Tarikko, slave_of_God

10-02-2016, 10:35 PM #5
Lady
Chaplain
@Thunderian,
Thank you for passing on that information. Teams should boycott any international competitions held in nations that compel others to conform to a religious standard in order to compete.

The human rights violations alone should disqualify Iran from being a host nation.

The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.  Jeremiah 31:3
The following 2 users Like Lady's post:
  • Thunderian, slave_of_God

10-02-2016, 10:51 PM #6
blue forest
Justiciar
I never thought I would say this, but we need more Nazis in the world to make this a better place!

https://www.reddit.com/r/chess/comments/55c7xg/instagram_photo_by_nazi_paikidzebarnes/
The following 1 user Likes blue forest's post:
  • slave_of_God

10-02-2016, 11:30 PM #7
slave_of_God
Justiciar
(10-02-2016, 10:51 PM)blue forest Wrote:  I never thought I would say this, but we need more Nazis in the world to make this a better place!

https://www.reddit.com/r/chess/comments/55c7xg/instagram_photo_by_nazi_paikidzebarnes/

I don't agree. Why would the nazis kill off the jews? It was inhumane.

There is no god besides The Formless and Only Unique and Indivisible God
The following 1 user Likes slave_of_God's post:
  • Tarikko

10-03-2016, 12:04 AM #8
justjess
Chaplain
When you enter a synagogue even if you aren't Jewish u are expected to cover your head, shoulders and knees. Been to many bar/bat mitzvahs and had to cover myself every time.

When you travel to the Vatican or even Eastern temples you are again required to cover yourselves. There are so many examples of this. Why just single one out?
The following 5 users Like justjess's post:
  • Sidhuriel, Orwell's mentor, Kung Fu, Tarikko, slave_of_God

10-03-2016, 12:11 AM #9
blue forest
Justiciar
(10-02-2016, 11:30 PM)slave_of_God Wrote:  
(10-02-2016, 10:51 PM)blue forest Wrote:  I never thought I would say this, but we need more Nazis in the world to make this a better place!

I don't agree. Why would the nazis kill off the jews? It was inhumane.

It's a joke based on the OP topic and the name of the U.S. chess player champion who has chosen to boycott the event.

"Nazi Paikidze, the US women's champion, also raised concerns about players' safety in the Islamic republic.

She said: "It is absolutely unacceptable to host one of the most important women's tournaments in a venue where, to this day, women are forced to cover up with a hijab.

"I understand and respect cultural differences. But, failing to comply can lead to imprisonment and women's rights are being severely restricted in general.

"It does not feel safe for women from around the world to play here.” Paikidze added: "I am honoured and proud to have qualified to represent the United States in the Women’s World Championship. But, if the situation remains unchanged, I will most certainly not participate in this event."
The following 1 user Likes blue forest's post:
  • slave_of_God

10-03-2016, 12:16 AM #10
blue forest
Justiciar
(10-03-2016, 12:04 AM)justjess Wrote:  When you enter a synagogue even if you aren't Jewish u are expected to cover your head, shoulders and knees. Been to many bar/bat mitzvahs and had to cover myself every time.

When you travel to the Vatican or even Eastern temples you are again required to cover yourselves. There are so many examples of this.  Why just single one out?

Is it that hard to understand that participating in the World Chess Championship's and being FORCED to wear a hijab if you participate in the world championships is DIFFERENT from going to the Vatican on vacation or choosing to visit a synagogue or choosing to attend a friend's bar mitvah?
This post was last modified: 10-03-2016, 12:18 AM by blue forest.
The following 4 users Like blue forest's post:
  • Floss, Artful Revealer, slave_of_God, Thunderian