#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Opioid prescriptions drop sharply in states with medical marijuana

09-26-2016, 12:46 AM #1
Thunderian
Chaplain
Interesting information in the attached article.

Quote:One striking chart shows why pharma companies are fighting legal marijuana

... There's a body of research showing that painkiller abuse and overdose are lower in states with medical marijuana laws. These studies have generally assumed that when medical marijuana is available, pain patients are increasingly choosing pot over powerful and deadly prescription narcotics. But that's always been just an assumption.

Now a new study, released in the journal Health Affairs, validates these findings by providing clear evidence of a missing link in the causal chain running from medical marijuana to falling overdoses. Ashley and W. David Bradford, a daughter-father pair of researchers at the University of Georgia, scoured the database of all prescription drugs paid for under Medicare Part D from 2010 to 2013.

They found that, in the 17 states with a medical-marijuana law in place by 2013, prescriptions for painkillers and other classes of drugs fell sharply compared with states that did not have a medical-marijuana law. The drops were quite significant: In medical-marijuana states, the average doctor prescribed 265 fewer doses of antidepressants each year, 486 fewer doses of seizure medication, 541 fewer anti-nausea doses and 562 fewer doses of anti-anxiety medication.

But most strikingly, the typical physician in a medical-marijuana state prescribed 1,826 fewer doses of painkillers in a given year.

link
The following 6 users Like Thunderian's post:
  • umphreak, Allegedly, MaryJane, The Zone, The Creeper, justjess

09-26-2016, 07:49 AM #2
The Creeper
Chaplain
I am shocked, utterly shocked at this news!!!

Big Grin Rolleyes Big Grin Rolleyes

Angel

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool – William Shakespear
The following 2 users Like The Creeper's post:
  • umphreak, MaryJane

09-26-2016, 08:29 AM #3
mrgrimm
Marshall
The only thing I have against weed is the smoking aspect (I smoked LOTS of weed and cigs from age 14-late 20's) pretty terrible really.

I value my health now, and am just wondering if the same benefits of marijuana can be had from eating it?  I know there is a way to make oil, butter, etc...and this would be better because you could apply it to toast or whatever and not risk hurting your lungs. 

Also, the non-THC version may be more suited to people that don't want the high, but want the health perks...that THC and natural high may be part of the healing process though, don't really know?
The following 2 users Like mrgrimm's post:
  • Allegedly, The Creeper

09-26-2016, 08:48 AM #4
justjess
Chaplain
There is a neuroprotective property to marijuana that early research for multiple sclerosis found only works when smoked for whatever reason, they haven't figured that part out. And they haven't isolated which compound in the marijuana causes this but alternatives like marinol that eliminate the thc don't have the same effect.

If they'd just remove it from the damn schedule so it could be properly researched maybe we'd have the answers to some of these questions..

There has not been any link found betwee smoking marijuana and lung cancer though, just FYI. It doesn't seem to have the same effects as cigarettes or cigars.
The following 6 users Like justjess's post:
  • umphreak, Allegedly, The Creeper, MaryJane, The Zone, mrgrimm

09-26-2016, 09:55 AM #5
Hermes
Marshall
(09-26-2016, 08:29 AM)mrgrimm Wrote:  The only thing I have against weed is the smoking aspect (I smoked LOTS of weed and cigs from age 14-late 20's) pretty terrible really.

I value my health now, and am just wondering if the same benefits of marijuana can be had from eating it?  I know there is a way to make oil, butter, etc...and this would be better because you could apply it to toast or whatever and not risk hurting your lungs. 

Also, the non-THC version may be more suited to people that don't want the high, but want the health perks...that THC and natural high may be part of the healing process though, don't really know?

Have you considered vaporizing cannabis. It's probably the most effective way of consuming it as it allows for more control over titrating dosages then orally consumed cannabis does.

THC has many health benefits too and is probably the more effective analgesic of all the other cannabinoids. The problem is the psychoactivity which makes it a difficult drug for health professionals to jump board with. THC is also the major cannabinoid and the one found in the most abundance out of the 100+ cannabinoids that are found in the plant. Cannabidiol (cbd) is the second major one that is found in abundance in certain strains of cannabis plant. Cbd is non-psychoactive, non-toxic and one of the more novel areas of cannabis research that is gaining a lot of attention.

The problem is very little people (including health professionals such as doctors) know anything about this plant. One thing I personally do at my job is clinical educational outreach for medical cannabis. I cannot tell you how many physicians I've encountered that don't even realize that we have an endogenous cannabinoid system. Our body produces it's own cannabinoids (BTW these are molecules that cause cannabis' effects such as THC and CBD). The plant based cannabinoids (at least a majority of them) interact with this endogenous system. There's a lot of research out there for cannabis (as much as they may say otherwise).

I Self Lord And Master
The following 5 users Like Hermes's post:
  • umphreak, Allegedly, The Creeper, MaryJane, The Zone