#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Safe Injection Sites

09-23-2016, 07:25 PM #1
Thunderian
Chaplain
Canada is about to make it easier for safe injection sites to set up by removing much of the red tape.

I personally think that safe injection sites are a good thing.  I once lived and worked in the downtown east side of Vancouver, where North America's first safe injection site opened, and I got to know the people who lived around me, including the drug addicts.  

When the injection site was first announced, the first thing that I thought of was that it would save lives, including those of my friends.  These are some of most wretched people on earth, and we need to do what we can to give them a chance at life again.  We don't do that by letting them die.

I understand that there are those who see it differently, and I am curious what others think of this topic.
The following 3 users Like Thunderian's post:
  • The Creeper, Thy Unveiling, slave_of_God

09-23-2016, 07:53 PM #2
justjess
Chaplain
Heroin is the devil. It should not be tolerated in any way. Give them suboxone and mental health treatment, not a cozier place to kill themselves.
The following 4 users Like justjess's post:
  • The Creeper, Thy Unveiling, slave_of_God, Alex

09-23-2016, 08:00 PM #3
Lisa
Chaplain
Should people be helped to continue their addiction in an effort to help them be safer and/or help them give it up? 

I don't think I could do that. Just like I can't support medical marijuana. I think I would plead more for them to stop then to condone what they're doing by offering to help them continue.

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.  1John 4:1

Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8
The following 1 user Likes Lisa's post:
  • slave_of_God

09-23-2016, 09:51 PM #4
Thunderian
Chaplain
They are going to do the drugs anyway.  Safe sites don't encourage users, and the lack of them doesn't combat use.  There are plenty of places where users can go to get help to quit, but recovery programs are no use when there is nothing to recover.

At least at a safe site, the addicts get medical help immediately if something goes wrong.  Safe injection sites also mean that needles are disposed of safely (instead of tossed into playgrounds), police and EMT aren't having to attend OD's, and the attendant costs of drug overdoses and the spread of disease are minimized.  And it gives addicts a chance to turn things around instead of just dying from an OD or a dirty needle.

Maybe someone who is against safe sites can explain how saving lives and saving money is a bad thing for society.

09-23-2016, 10:17 PM #5
slave_of_God
Justiciar
I think they should be given whatever they want but at the same time, they should be taught to believe in God. If God Wills, as the love of God penetrates their hearts, they will be given the strength to be able to subsist without those drugs that they don't really need, gradually.

Like, tell them about the One who's been keeping every single living organism in existence since the beginning of time until now, even though we cannot see Him.

As Anselm of Canterbury (1033–1109) put it,

Anselm's argument

1. It is a conceptual truth (or, so to speak, true by definition) that God is a being than which none greater can be imagined (that is, the greatest possible being that can be imagined).

2. God exists as an idea in the mind.

3. A being that exists as an idea in the mind and in reality is, other things being equal, greater than a being that exists only as an idea in the mind.

4. Thus, if God exists only as an idea in the mind, then we can imagine something that is greater than God (that is, a greatest possible being that does exist).

5. But we cannot imagine something that is greater than God (for it is a contradiction to suppose that we can imagine a being greater than the greatest possible being that can be imagined.)

6. Therefore, God exists.

There is no god besides The Formless and Only Unique and Indivisible God
"My heart is at ease knowing that what was meant for me will never
miss me and that what misses me was never meant for me"
The following 2 users Like slave_of_God's post:
  • The Creeper, Trenton

09-23-2016, 10:41 PM #6
blue forest
Justiciar

The following 2 users Like blue forest's post:
  • The Creeper, slave_of_God

09-23-2016, 10:55 PM #7
MaryJane
Marshall
While I believe heroin is a hideous and disgusting drug, I believe this is a necessary evil. "Just get rid of heroin." Not ever going to happen, people are weak, they will find a way. (Especially with all of these new addicts, those who can't get their pain pills.) That's like trying to ban gang violence. Futile. These people need compassion. Too many of them are ending up on people's property. I don't believe it's catering, it's like an extreme smokers corner. Maybe it will save lives....
This post was last modified: 09-23-2016, 10:56 PM by MaryJane. Edit Reason: added some stuff
The following 3 users Like MaryJane's post:

09-23-2016, 11:46 PM #8
justjess
Chaplain
Suboxone and methadone are not widely available or easily accessible here. Doctors have a limit of how many patients they can take on so plenty of people who need help get left in the wind. They don't need an injection site, they need a medically supervised suboxone program and more effective and longer drug treatment programs.

Making Narcon available makes sense. Injection sites not to me, I'm sorry.

This is a very personal topic for me.. I've lost more people then I can count to that drug. My best friend is currently shooting up into abscesses in front of her toddler, my cousin is doing thirty years in a max for robberies to get the shit and just got cut ear to ear because prison bars couldn't even make him stop and he got in debt with the wrong people, and my husband is an on and off again addict himself (not IV and not strictly opiAtes either). That's the short list of those closest to me. Id be here for days to even scratch the surface.

Do I want somewhere they can get high in peace? No. I want compulsory inpatient treatment and affordable immediate access to maintenance programs.

Giving an accommodation to prolong an active addiction I can't see saving money or lives in the long run. Seems more like a program for people who don't actually want to do anything but want to feel like they are.

Also - go after the doctors who improperly prescribe these meds, and the corporations that are manufacturing them and marketing them aggressively with no cAre or concern for the consequences.
The following 6 users Like justjess's post:
  • Pront, The Creeper, Thy Unveiling, Trenton, slave_of_God, MaryJane

09-24-2016, 12:21 AM #9
Lisa
Chaplain
(09-23-2016, 09:51 PM)Thunderian Wrote:  They are going to do the drugs anyway.  Safe sites don't encourage users, and the lack of them doesn't combat use.  There are plenty of places where users can go to get help to quit, but recovery programs are no use when there is nothing to recover.

At least at a safe site, the addicts get medical help immediately if something goes wrong.  Safe injection sites also mean that needles are disposed of safely (instead of tossed into playgrounds), police and EMT aren't having to attend OD's, and the attendant costs of drug overdoses and the spread of disease are minimized.  And it gives addicts a chance to turn things around instead of just dying from an OD or a dirty needle.

Maybe someone who is against safe sites can explain how saving lives and saving money is a bad thing for society.

Doesn't God let us choose? Shall I help someone choose evil even if that helps make it safer? Aren't I then contributing to evil?

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.  1John 4:1

Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8
The following 1 user Likes Lisa's post:
  • slave_of_God

09-24-2016, 01:42 AM #10
Thunderian
Chaplain
How is saving someone's life helping them choose evil when they will choose the evil regardless?  This is about mitigating the damage the choice causes to themselves and others.  If someone drunkenly gets behind the wheel of their car and crashes into a wall, do we leave them to die in the wreckage?

This is not about condoning the use of drugs.  These poor people are in the grip of addiction and will use regardless.  This is about reducing the lives and money that are lost because of it.  I don't see how this is a bad thing.