#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Todd Bait

09-21-2016, 03:35 PM #1
damien50
Chaplain
Quote: Dispensationalism is a method of interpreting history that divides God’s work and purposes toward mankind into different periods of time. Usually, there are seven dispensations identified, although some theologians believe there are nine. Others count as few as three or as many as thirty-seven dispensations. In this article, we will limit ourselves to the seven basic dispensations found in Scripture.

http://www.gotquestions.org/seven-dispensations.html

I hate to use this site at times but this isn't a topic I've really seen mentioned here.  I intended for this to be an interesting take on how some attempt to understand the bible.

This isn't limited to Todd only Smile

Feel free to hate, criticise, provide insight...

The Continuation of the Truth

Isaiah 55:8-9 KJV For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord . [9] For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
The following 7 users Like damien50's post:
  • Tarikko, Thy Unveiling, DesertRose1, Trenton, The Creeper, slave_of_God, Serveto

09-21-2016, 03:44 PM #2
Artful Revealer
Chaplain
lol @ thread title.

I'll provide a short and probably useless contribution. I personally believe dispensationalism is a man-made attempt at trying to explain the different teachings allegedly given by a single god.

Well, you know where I'm coming from.

Faith receives, love gives. No one will be able to receive without faith. No one will be able to give without love. Because of this, in order that we may indeed receive, we believe, and in order that we may love, we give, since if one gives without love, he has no profit from what he has given. He who has received something other than the Lord is still a Hebrew. - Gospel of Philip
The following 5 users Like Artful Revealer's post:
  • Tarikko, Thy Unveiling, The Creeper, slave_of_God, Serveto

09-21-2016, 03:48 PM #3
Serveto
Justiciar
(09-21-2016, 03:44 PM)Artful Revealer Wrote:  lol @ thread title.

Ditto that for me!
The following 5 users Like Serveto's post:
  • Tarikko, Thy Unveiling, DesertRose1, The Creeper, slave_of_God

09-21-2016, 03:59 PM #4
Renegade
Marshall
(09-21-2016, 03:48 PM)Serveto Wrote:  
(09-21-2016, 03:44 PM)Artful Revealer Wrote:  lol @ thread title.

Ditto that for me!

+1  Tongue

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. 
If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them;
If I find them too obnoxious, I break them. 
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for 
everything I do..."

Robert A. Heinlein
The following 5 users Like Renegade's post:
  • Tarikko, Thy Unveiling, DesertRose1, The Creeper, slave_of_God

09-21-2016, 04:13 PM #5
Todd
Chaplain
I actually had to look twice at the thread title and even then I had to read the OP to confirm it was really talking about me Big Grin

I will fall for the bait though.  I used to teach dispensationalism so I am somewhat familiar with it.  Nothing wrong with pointing out different periods of history with respect to the story of God and his covenant. 

Traditional dispensationalism teaches that God changes how he relates with us and that his standards or methods change (i.e. the different covenants).  Instead I believe the dispensations only mark how our understanding of God and his single covenant has changed.  In principle the Covenant and it's terms are the same from day one right into the ages to come.  

Whether God chose to reveal the Covenant in stages or the record of the covenant was just not as clear in the beginning, I don't know the answer.  I tend to believe that God is truly the same, yesterday, today and forever so I guess I would lean to human error in understanding and recording the Covenant.  I truly believe the Hebrews lost the real spirit of the covenant which in turned caused them to create the letter of the law by putting a fence around the Torah with all their man-made traditions and Oral law.  

So no, I don't believe traditional dispensation that says God changes the way he deals with creation through different covenants, is correct.  I do believe that dispensations simply mark the history of man's flawed understanding of God's one true everlasting covenant.  And yes I would say that our understanding today is still flawed.

Then shall the king say to those on his right hand, Come ye, the blessed of my Father, inherit the reign that hath been prepared for you from the foundation of the world;

And the king answering, shall say to them, Verily I say to you, Inasmuch as ye did to one of these my brethren -- the least -- to me ye did

09-21-2016, 04:24 PM #6
slave_of_God
Justiciar
The way i see it.

Every thing is the work of God.

I am typing by His Permission since i do not intend to type anything bad. Since God is the Source and Creator of all goodness, He is also Independent of me to Create whatever goodness i'm intending to propagate.

So God Does Not Depend on anything to accomplish any thing for *at least* our five senses of perception. The antichrist will have mountains of bread and rivers of water with him. The faithful who will reject him will also be rejecting his food and water. It is said that during that time, the faithful will have their stomachs filled when they will be reciting (Glory and Purity Belong to God Alone, All Praises and Thanks are in reality due only to God, God Is The Greatest) by meditating and contemplating on His creation. For example, for how long the sun has been emitting heat and light, how beautiful, since the beginning of time until now, all of that solely by His Permission and Power, God Is The Greatest Indeed.
This post was last modified: 09-21-2016, 04:28 PM by slave_of_God. Edit Reason: correction

There is no god besides The Formless and Only Unique and Indivisible God
"My heart is at ease knowing that what was meant for me will never
miss me and that what misses me was never meant for me"
The following 5 users Like slave_of_God's post:
  • Tarikko, Thy Unveiling, khadeejah, DesertRose1, The Creeper

09-21-2016, 05:00 PM #7
damien50
Chaplain
(09-21-2016, 04:13 PM)Todd Wrote:  I actually had to look twice at the thread title and even then I had to read the OP to confirm it was really talking about me Big Grin

I will fall for the bait though.  I used to teach dispensationalism so I am somewhat familiar with it.  Nothing wrong with pointing out different periods of history with respect to the story of God and his covenant. 

Traditional dispensationalism teaches that God changes how he relates with us and that his standards or methods change (i.e. the different covenants).  Instead I believe the dispensations only mark how our understanding of God and his single covenant has changed.  In principle the Covenant and it's terms are the same from day one right into the ages to come.  

Whether God chose to reveal the Covenant in stages or the record of the covenant was just not as clear in the beginning, I don't know the answer.  I tend to believe that God is truly the same, yesterday, today and forever so I guess I would lean to human error in understanding and recording the Covenant.  I truly believe the Hebrews lost the real spirit of the covenant which in turned caused them to create the letter of the law by putting a fence around the Torah with all their man-made traditions and Oral law.  

So no, I don't believe traditional dispensation that says God changes the way he deals with creation through different covenants, is correct.  I do believe that dispensations simply mark the history of man's flawed understanding of God's one true everlasting covenant.  And yes I would say that our understanding today is still flawed.

I knew I could get you in here!  Now time to be bombarded.

Why did God relate differently with Adam, Noah, and Abraham?

Based on this way of understanding, is Israel the template for spirituality and society?

Were the ten commandments eternal, before and after Adam?

Why did God(?) Format the bible in the structure that it is?  Everything isn't always chronological would be an example

Why in gospels were the lines of Jesus traced similar to genesis?

With dispensation, does it lend to dividing the word of God, does it help provide context and perspective, or it worthless?

These are open to anyone willing to answer. 

@artful
Fair enough however

1 Corinthians 9:17 KJVFor if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.

Interpolation?

@serv and renegade
I live to entertain

@slave
How am I to correlate your words with dispensation?

The Continuation of the Truth

Isaiah 55:8-9 KJV For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord . [9] For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
The following 4 users Like damien50's post:
  • slave_of_God, Serveto, Thy Unveiling, The Creeper

09-21-2016, 05:13 PM #8
Artful Revealer
Chaplain
(09-21-2016, 05:00 PM)damien50 Wrote:  1 Corinthians 9:17 KJVFor if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.

Interpolation?
Undecided  ... Dang.

I'll have to check up on that. Angel

Faith receives, love gives. No one will be able to receive without faith. No one will be able to give without love. Because of this, in order that we may indeed receive, we believe, and in order that we may love, we give, since if one gives without love, he has no profit from what he has given. He who has received something other than the Lord is still a Hebrew. - Gospel of Philip
The following 3 users Like Artful Revealer's post:
  • slave_of_God, The Creeper, Thy Unveiling

09-21-2016, 05:47 PM #9
The Creeper
Chaplain
I just wanted to add another +1 to the awesome thread title Big Grin

I also rather like what Todd had to say about God never changing and His Message never changing. I won't mention what some people call this Message Angel

(09-21-2016, 05:00 PM)damien50 Wrote:  
(09-21-2016, 04:13 PM)Todd Wrote:  I actually had to look twice at the thread title and even then I had to read the OP to confirm it was really talking about me Big Grin

I knew I could get you in here!  Now time to be bombarded.

Why did God relate differently with Adam, Noah, and Abraham?

God relates differently to everyone and we all relate to God differently as well, don't we? Because God recognises His creatures as individuals with their own unique perspectives and we all have our own personal relationship with our Creator, being my best guess

Based on this way of understanding, is Israel the template for spirituality and society?

It was supposed to be, but they broke the covenant. God didn't break it, they did. I am sure that the true believing Israelites that still remain are the most God fearing people on the planet

Were the ten commandments eternal, before and after Adam?

I would say so, God's Words are Eternal Smile

Why did God(?) Format the bible in the structure that it is?  Everything isn't always chronological would be an example

Hmm, I know why the Qur'an isn't read in the order it was revealed in (because the Prophet himself [pbuh] said to structure it in that way). But with the Bible, I thought a group of men formatted it in that way. I think God does things just to make us think a lot of the time. Good question bro

Why in gospels were the lines of Jesus traced similar to genesis?

Because it was really important to trace his line back to David (pbuh). I never cared much for genealogy myself.

With dispensation, does it lend to dividing the word of God, does it help provide context and perspective, or it worthless?

Context and perspective Smile... I should never answer questions about what is worthless otherwise I start living up to my username

These are open to anyone willing to answer. 

I thought I would have a go Big Grin

Peace be upon you bro damien

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool – William Shakespear
The following 7 users Like The Creeper's post:
  • slave_of_God, Serveto, Tarikko, Thy Unveiling, khadeejah, DesertRose1, damien50

09-21-2016, 05:56 PM #10
aspiringsoul
Justiciar
yo Damien, are you a certain DJ?
The following 2 users Like aspiringsoul's post:
  • The Creeper, Tarikko