#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
dreadlocks

09-19-2016, 10:36 PM #1
blue forest
Justiciar

The pharaohs wore dreads, but their first literary mention is said to be in the Hindu Vedic scriptures dating from around 1700BC. The Shiva wore ‘matted’ dreadlocks. So it is perhaps the Indians who have the dubious honour of ‘inventing’ dreadlocks, and we could reasonably conclude that the African Egyptians culturally appropriated dreads from them.

Next came the ancient Greeks. In the Archaic period of 800-480BC, sculptures show men wearing dreads. The pharaohs wore dreads, and in the Bible, Samson, perhaps the most famous long-haired dread of them all, had ‘seven locks’. 

Next came the Vikings, proving dreads weren’t always about peace and love, man. And Rastafarianism wasn’t even created until the 1930s in Ethiopia.

Now while I’m no Mary Beard, even I can work out the pharaohs pre-dated the Rastas. So by the cultural appropriationist’s absurd logic, does it mean Bob Marley was a closet racist for stealing Shiva’s hairstyle?

Naturally, this is preposterously pedantic, and almost certainly factually incorrect. There is a fair-to-middling chance that early cavemen’s hair had matted into dreads millennia before Shiva. But with these people you’ve got to fight fire with fire.

For their reductive mindset seems to be: let’s trace everything back to its very beginning, then ban the rest of the world from appropriating it. So let’s give India its dreadlocks back. Brighton will be a cheerier place, as fewer people will smell like damp sheepdogs. And, painful as it may be, we may as well kiss goodbye to curry.

But it would only be fair to ask for a few things in return – stuff India ‘culturally appropriated’ from Britain. Let’s start with the civil service and a world-renowned train system. Not forgetting the establishment of English law and language. Oh, and cricket, especially as the Indians have a pesky habit of beating us at our own game.

http://blogs.spectatator.co.uk/2016/04th...ne-culture
This post was last modified: 09-19-2016, 10:38 PM by blue forest.
The following 1 user Likes blue forest's post:
  • slave_of_God

09-19-2016, 11:37 PM #2
Thy Unveiling
Chaplain
...I don't see how a relatively natural hair style is a bad thing. Particularly one that's sexy af when done right.

I know nothing about the game of cricket. To me, cricket is an insect that occasionally freaks me out with its mad hopping that seems more like flying. Maybe those were grasshoppers. I won't pretend like I know the difference between the two; particularly when they're repeatedly fly-hopping across my path at a disturbingly rapid rate.

"Be the change you want to see in the world"

There's only one true judge and that's God; so chill and let Our Father do His job
The following 6 users Like Thy Unveiling's post:
  • Lotte, Sidhuriel, Tarikko, The Creeper, slave_of_God, Starks

09-20-2016, 05:41 AM #3
The Creeper
Chaplain
I used to have dreadlocks Smile

It is basically just matted hair. Your hair will dreadlock itself if you never cut or brush it, so I imagine that dreadlocks have always been a thing...

I'm not really understanding the point this thread is trying to make to be honest.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool – William Shakespear
The following 8 users Like The Creeper's post:
  • Lotte, Sidhuriel, MaryJane, DesertRose1, Loki, Thy Unveiling, slave_of_God, Tarikko

09-20-2016, 07:42 AM #4
blue forest
Justiciar
Two people I know recently got into an argument because one (who is white) had dreadlocks and the other (who is black) took offence to her as a white person having the hairstyle and saw it as her insulting black people by having dreads.

I also saw a couple days ago in the news about Marc Jacobs:

The fashion designer Marc Jacobs has defended himself against allegations of racial insensitivity (he has since apologized) after he used dreadlocks in his New York fashion show but cast mainly white models to wear them.

While some criticised what they saw as a case of cultural appropriation, Jacobs said he saw only people, not their race. “[To] all who cry ‘cultural appropriation’ or whatever nonsense about any race or skin colour wearing their hair in any particular style or manner – funny how you don’t criticise women of colour for straightening their hair,” the designer said.

“I respect and am inspired by people and how they look. I don’t see colour or race – I see people. I’m sorry to read that so many people are so narrow minded … Love is the answer. Appreciation of all and inspiration from anywhere is a beautiful thing. Think about it,” he wrote.

Many people responded to the images of supermodels including Gigi and Bella Hadid, Karlie Kloss and Jourdan Dunn, by asking why Jacobs had decided not to cast more black models when he was showcasing a hairstyle they closely associated with black culture. And they attacked his comparison with the attitudes towards people from black and ethnic minority backgrounds straightening their hair. The pressure many feel to do so is in itself a form of racism, they argued.

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2016...cks-furore

I had never heard of this term "cultural appropriation" before and this is what the thread is actually about (I will adjust the title).

Cultural appropriation is the adoption or use of elements of one culture by members of another culture.

Cultural appropriation is seen by some[2] as controversial, notably when elements of a minority culture are used by members of the cultural majority; this is seen as wrongfully oppressing the minority culture or stripping it of its group identity and intellectual property rights.[3][4][5][6] This view of cultural appropriation is sometimes termed "cultural misappropriation".[3][6]

According to critics of the practice, cultural (mis)appropriation differs from acculturation or assimilation in that the "appropriation" or "misappropriation" refers to the adoption of these cultural elements in a colonial manner: elements are copied from a minority culture by members of the dominant culture, and these elements are used outside of their original cultural context—sometimes even against the expressed, stated wishes of representatives of the originating culture.

Conversely, cultural appropriation or borrowing can be viewed as inevitable and a contribution to diversity and free expression. This view distinguishes outright theft of cultural artifacts or exotic stereotyping from more benign borrowing or appreciation. Cultural borrowing and cross-fertilization is seen by proponents as a generally positive thing, and as something which is usually done out of admiration of the cultures being imitated, with no intent to harm them. The language of "appropriation" is sometimes criticized as misleadingly implying "theft" when applied to culture, which is not generally seen as an exhaustible resource.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_appropriation
The following 3 users Like blue forest's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, The Creeper, slave_of_God

09-20-2016, 07:58 AM #5
Thy Unveiling
Chaplain
People are getting way too sensitive about what is and isn't racist. It's hair. Unless somebody shaves a nazi swastika on their head, it's just hair. Get over it. This is effing ridiculous. Besides; I don't think I've ever seen a black person irl with dreds. It's always white people. Perfectly nice, normal, not racist white people. This is effing stupid. Next thing you know those oreos that come out around Christmas will be declared offensive because the white stuff is covering the black part. Nvm that they have green ones doing the same. That's offensive too; represents leprechauns (white irish.) Smh

There's only one true judge and that's God; so chill and let Our Father do His job
The following 6 users Like Thy Unveiling's post:
  • Lotte, Vytas, cookie, MaryJane, slave_of_God, The Creeper

09-20-2016, 08:35 AM #6
The Creeper
Chaplain
I should introduce your black friend to the Norfolk raving community Big Grin

White people have had dreadlocks for millennia and we can still grow them today. Any human being on the planet can grow dreads if they really wanted to. It is hair. To make it into a thing about race is truly pathetic...

Of course, it isn't possible for anyone to actually be racist against white people Rolleyes I'm not sexist or racist against anybody, I hate all people equally. The stupidity and the heartlessness never ceases to amaze me.

The only hairstyle that annoys me on other white people is the afro. However, I know that it is just because of one asshole with an afro who ruined it for me in my teenage years and I am reminded of him every time I see one.

There are a lot of stupid hairstyles in the world today. More people should just have dreadlocks if you ask me (they look good on girls too)
This post was last modified: 09-20-2016, 08:43 AM by The Creeper.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool – William Shakespear
The following 5 users Like The Creeper's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, DesertRose1, Tarikko, slave_of_God, Kung Fu

09-20-2016, 08:49 PM #7
Thy Unveiling
Chaplain
I have toyed with the idea of dreds before, actually. But then I would probably have to shave my head if I decided I no longer wanted them, and I would not look good bald. Anyways, over here its mostly modern day hippies I see with dreds.

The hairstyle I can't stand on guys is what I call the douchebag haircut. Where it's shaved except for the top, which they have gelled upwards in a weird pompadour. Every guy with this hair silently screams douche. Girls have a similar style, but more like Miley Cyrus,  and they all look like young butch lesbians. Which is fine when they actually are. But then you see them walking around with effiminate young men who seem gay. It's very weird when the pair turn out to be a straight couple. I can only think two things 1) They've gotta be eachothers beards and aren't fooling anyone and 2) That gender blurring agenda is working scarily well. (My apologies if I seem like an opinionated stereo-typing bitch. But really, stereotypes exist for a reason. If a girl isn't butch and doesn't identify as male, then ytf is she styling herself as one? Same goes for effiminate males.)

The following 3 users Like Thy Unveiling's post:
  • slave_of_God, The Creeper, Trenton

09-20-2016, 09:27 PM #8
Yahda
Chaplain
I think some are missing the point when it comes to fashion. The point is, the fashion world would rather paint a models face black than have a black model. They would rather wear an Indian headdress of significance than actually educate themselves to the true meaning and purpose etc etc..... anyway dreds started with blacks like it or not. The hair automatically locks but who cares ?

Anyway, anything associated with black is shed in a negative light. Hence the term "dread" so you know it's a black thing lol.
This post was last modified: 09-21-2016, 01:49 AM by Yahda.

~Yahda
The following 4 users Like Yahda's post:
  • slave_of_God, The Creeper, KoncreteMind, Freetoday

09-20-2016, 09:38 PM #9
Lady
Chaplain
Here is a link to the history behind locs. Very interesting, most of it I did not know!
Hint: Indian holy men were the earliest ones to wear their hair in this style.
http://blacknaps.org/2011/08/09/dreadlocks-and-locs/

The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.  Jeremiah 31:3
The following 3 users Like Lady's post:
  • slave_of_God, The Creeper, Thy Unveiling

09-21-2016, 12:55 AM #10
KoncreteMind
Chaplain
Posting this thread is akin to me looking for a video of a white person calling a black person the N-word and posting it. What discussion can be had from this? What can we do with this video other than to call the lady stupid for getting mad at a white person for having dreads? Its like you seek out things to get mad about lol
The following 3 users Like KoncreteMind's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, Yahda, The Creeper