#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Ask Loki

09-07-2016, 05:00 PM #1
Loki
Chaplain
This might be a waste of a thread but I thought it might be fun since I don't spend much time on these boards anymore. If you guys feel like using this then it will give me an easy collection of things to respond to when I'm bored/have some free time.

So essentially just ask me any question you want. It can be about anything (including religion or topics often reserved for other threads), serious or joking. I reserve the right to opt out of any question if I don't like it or it is too personal or anything, but for the most part I'll answer anything you pose to me. If I don't know anything about the topic I might research it or I might give you a completely bullshit answer. I also reserve the right to answer any and all questions with complete bullshit, but I'll try to indicate when I do so.

All that I ask is that you don't start fighting amongst yourselves in this thread. If people get caught up in bickering I'll just ask for the thread to be locked and that will be that.

So, if this interests you, ask away!

To start this off I'm going to answer Ambuler's question from the Random Thoughts Thread:

"All glory goes to the One and Only God, right?

How do you worship other gods and also the One and Only?"

---------------------------------------

When I asked if this was directed at me you responded with, "I'm questioning you as a Hindu.  So, I suppose, you."

I'm not sure if that means you think I'm Hindu from something I said or if you want me to take the stance of a Hindu or what, so I'm just going to ignore all of that and answer the original question, but feel free to clarify what you meant if you feel like it.

First off, I don't think any glory goes to anything. This idea of "giving glory to God" is old and dated, from a time where glory and honor were very important to your average person. It was a way for them to not only "give credit" to, but also to shift blame and responsibility to something greater than them. It must have been a very weird time to exist, especially in times of war, where you see terrible atrocities carried out in the name of one god or another, it's no surprise that we humans found ways to justify our actions and absolve ourselves of responsibility. Of course we would use that same line of thinking for when we did good things like helped others, had children, etc. but it's all the same empty sort of gesture done for our own benefit: Either we are justifying horrible things in the name of God or we are tricking ourselves into believing we are doing great things for God. And if certain people need to be tricked into doing good things in the name of God, then so be it.

However, on the more specific note of Hindus believing in the same entity as Christians and Muslims despite having a polytheistic religion I would say that there is (most likely) only one entity/force/being/whatever that created everything. I say "most likely" in parenthesis is because we can't know for certain that only one thing created everything but the rabbit hole that discussing multiple entities capable of creating all of existence is too deep to go down here. Anyway, one being created all we know, and I don't think that being is necessarily sentient, thoughtful, or caring. These anthropomorphic amalgamations that we have attributed our existence to in any given religion is just something we created with our puny, superstitious human brains in a desperate and hopeful grasp at finding meaning, reason, and clarity in our chaotic existence. So whether you believe in the Holy Trinity, the Vedas, Allah, Joseph Smith, Xenu, The Universe, Mother Gaia, or what have you it's all belief in the same thing with different coats of paint.

Hopefully that made sense. Probably the only question I'll be answering today (I'm just assuming at least one more person will indulge this silly thread lol), so take care everyone!

“Life is neither good or evil, but only a place for good and evil.”
Marcus Aurelius

"In my opinion, there is a more scientific approach we can take to all hot-button issues. We do this when we stop demonizing the opposing viewpoints or victimizing ourselves, and we acknowledge and account for our own biases and emotions to the best of our ability."
--- Elliott C. Morgan
The following 6 users Like Loki's post:
  • slave_of_God, Thy Unveiling, Goku, Trenton, Ambuler, Serendipity

09-07-2016, 05:17 PM #2
The Creeper
Chaplain
How have you been doing bro?

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool – William Shakespear
The following 6 users Like The Creeper's post:
  • slave_of_God, Thy Unveiling, Tarikko, Trenton, Loki, khadeejah

09-07-2016, 05:23 PM #3
Renegade
Marshall
(09-07-2016, 05:00 PM)Loki Wrote:  This might be a waste of a thread but I thought it might be fun since I don't spend much time on these boards anymore. If you guys feel like using this then it will give me an easy collection of things to respond to when I'm bored/have some free time.

So essentially just ask me any question you want. It can be about anything (including religion or topics often reserved for other threads), serious or joking. I reserve the right to opt out of any question if I don't like it or it is too personal or anything, but for the most part I'll answer anything you pose to me. If I don't know anything about the topic I might research it or I might give you a completely bullshit answer. I also reserve the right to answer any and all questions with complete bullshit, but I'll try to indicate when I do so.

All that I ask is that you don't start fighting amongst yourselves in this thread. If people get caught up in bickering I'll just ask for the thread to be locked and that will be that.

To start this off I'm going to answer Ambuler's question from the Random Thoughts Thread:

When I asked if this was directed at me you responded with, "I'm questioning you as a Hindu.  So, I suppose, you."

I'm not sure if that means you think I'm Hindu from something I said or if you want me to take the stance of a Hindu or what, so I'm just going to ignore all of that and answer the original question, but feel free to clarify what you meant if you feel like it.

First off, I don't think any glory goes to anything. This idea of "giving glory to God" is old and dated, from a time where glory and honor were very important to your average person. It was a way for them to not only "give credit" to, but also to shift blame and responsibility to something greater than them. It must have been a very weird time to exist, especially in times of war, where you see terrible atrocities carried out in the name of one god or another, it's no surprise that we humans found ways to justify our actions and absolve ourselves of responsibility. Of course we would use that same line of thinking for when we did good things like helped others, had children, etc. but it's all the same empty sort of gesture done for our own benefit: Either we are justifying horrible things in the name of God or we are tricking ourselves into believing we are doing great things for God. And if certain people need to be tricked into doing good things in the name of God, then so be it.

However, on the more specific note of Hindus believing in the same entity as Christians and Muslims despite having a polytheistic religion I would say that there is (most likely) only one entity/force/being/whatever that created everything. I say "most likely" in parenthesis is because we can't know for certain that only one thing created everything but the rabbit hole that discussing multiple entities capable of creating all of existence is too deep to go down here. Anyway, one being created all we know, and I don't think that being is necessarily sentient, thoughtful, or caring. These anthropomorphic amalgamations that we have attributed our existence to in any given religion is just something we created with our puny, superstitious human brains in a desperate and hopeful grasp at finding meaning, reason, and clarity in our chaotic existence. So whether you believe in the Holy Trinity, the Vedas, Allah, Joseph Smith, Xenu, The Universe, Mother Gaia, or what have you it's all belief in the same thing with different coats of paint.

Hopefully that made sense. Probably the only question I'll be answering today (I'm just assuming at least one more person will indulge this silly thread lol), so take care everyone!

Five years ago I told you I had been to Winterfell...

Your response was..

I hate you...

I still carry the scar of that Game of thrones thread on vc2....

Last week I walked through the dark hedges in Armoy...

Let the hate flow again Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Tongue Tongue Tongue

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. 
If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them;
If I find them too obnoxious, I break them. 
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for 
everything I do..."

Robert A. Heinlein
The following 3 users Like Renegade's post:
  • slave_of_God, Thy Unveiling, Loki

09-07-2016, 05:27 PM #4
Loki
Chaplain
(09-07-2016, 05:23 PM)Renegade Wrote:  
(09-07-2016, 05:00 PM)Loki Wrote:  This might be a waste of a thread but I thought it might be fun since I don't spend much time on these boards anymore. If you guys feel like using this then it will give me an easy collection of things to respond to when I'm bored/have some free time.

Your response was..

I hate you...

First off, there was no question asked here. I think you misunderstood the thread Tongue

Secondly, I don't remember that but it seems accurate. Super jealous. I really need to travel some eventually, before I die at an early age most likely.

Marcus Aurelius

"In my opinion, there is a more scientific approach we can take to all hot-button issues. We do this when we stop demonizing the opposing viewpoints or victimizing ourselves, and we acknowledge and account for our own biases and emotions to the best of our ability."
--- Elliott C. Morgan
The following 3 users Like Loki's post:
  • The Creeper, slave_of_God, Thy Unveiling

09-07-2016, 05:30 PM #5
Ambuler
Marshall
So I'm assuming that you mean that I would be the only one considering answering this thread (or perhaps Lisa?...sorry for the obvious *poke*  Rolleyes)  But I would love to reply.

I think that you are absolutely correct to say that all major religions seems to have a common thread.  I see it as everyone is naturally inclined to think that something created them and gave them purpose. 

We all seek truth.  It's whether or not we find it. 

I grew up not having a set belief system at all.  Though I remember sitting in my room in my childhood wondering what else was out there.....didn't we all???

So yes, I presented my question to you as a Hindu, because you stated that the same Creator that Christians and Muslims believe in is the same Being that Hindus worship....I am not totally familiar with Hindu beliefs so I hoped/hope you may be able to enlighten me.  

If not, perhaps this thread can continue the interesting direction the Random Thoughts thread was going...?
This post was last modified: 09-07-2016, 05:33 PM by Ambuler.
The following 5 users Like Ambuler's post:
  • slave_of_God, Thy Unveiling, Trenton, The Creeper, Loki

09-07-2016, 05:31 PM #6
Loki
Chaplain
(09-07-2016, 05:17 PM)The Creeper Wrote:  How have you been doing bro?

I'm good man. Yourself? Haven't really been getting up to much, just living life. Girlfriend moved in not too long ago so a lot of stress and effort went into getting our dogs to be pack mates (her Dachshund-Yorkie and my lab-pit) but they are good now. Working on a new Star Wars D&D campaign I'll be running soon, and mostly just working and house-hunting aside from all of that.

Oh, and also watching plenty of TV shows and MMA.

Okay, now I'm out for the day!

Marcus Aurelius

--- Elliott C. Morgan
The following 4 users Like Loki's post:
  • slave_of_God, Thy Unveiling, Trenton, The Creeper

09-07-2016, 05:35 PM #7
Loki
Chaplain
(09-07-2016, 05:30 PM)Ambuler Wrote:  So I'm assuming that you mean that I would be the only one considering answering this thread (or perhaps Lisa?...sorry for the obvious *poke*  Rolleyes)  But I would love to reply.

I think that you are absolutely correct to say that all major religions seems to have a common thread.  I see it as everyone is naturally inclined to think that something created them and gave them purpose. 

We all seek truth.  It's whether or not we find it. 

I grew up not having a set belief system at all.  Though I remember sitting in my room in my childhood wondering what else was out there.....didn't we all???

So yes, I presented my question to you as a Hindu, because you stated that the same Creator that Christians and Muslims believe in is the same Being that Hindus worship....I am not totally familiar with Hindu beliefs so I hoped/hope you may be able to enlighten me.  

If not, perhaps this thread can continue the interesting direction the Random Threads thread was going...?

This isn't the "Ask Flix" thread, but if you are interested in some of the nitty-gritty of Hinduism she was once a self-proclaimed Hindu and knows a lot about that set of beliefs last I checked. Not sure how much of it she has retained, but probably quite a bit, so if she feels like weighing in she certainly can. I'm only superficially knowledgeable about Hinduism myself.

Other than that, happy to answer your question first and if you have any more then lay them on me. If it's more about Hinduism I may have to bullshit haha.

Marcus Aurelius

--- Elliott C. Morgan
The following 5 users Like Loki's post:
  • slave_of_God, Thy Unveiling, Trenton, The Creeper, Ambuler

09-07-2016, 05:45 PM #8
Ambuler
Marshall
Nuff said.   Smile
The following 2 users Like Ambuler's post:
  • The Creeper, slave_of_God

09-07-2016, 05:58 PM #9
bbsion
Marshall
Should I buy the latest version of the Samsung Gear VR? I have a compatible phone, I do not have a good enough PC for the Rift. I do not know much about the HTC Vive (plus it costs too much). And I do not own a PS4.

This is kind of like a Magic 8 Ball. Smile

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."

Thomas Jefferson
The following 6 users Like bbsion's post:
  • slave_of_God, Thy Unveiling, Loki, Trenton, Ambuler, Lisa

09-07-2016, 05:59 PM #10
Renegade
Marshall
(09-07-2016, 05:27 PM)Loki Wrote:  
(09-07-2016, 05:23 PM)Renegade Wrote:  

Your response was..

I hate you...

First off, there was no question asked here. I think you misunderstood the thread Tongue

Secondly, I don't remember that but it seems accurate. Super jealous. I really need to travel some eventually, before I die at an early age most likely.

You definitely need to travel Loki...  The key to dying young is to live the hell of life...

They have a permanent archery set at Winterfell now...

There is Game of thrones stuff all over the place...

And we are milking it for every penny... Tongue Tongue Tongue
This post was last modified: 09-09-2016, 06:49 PM by Renegade. Edit Reason: spelling

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. 
If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them;
If I find them too obnoxious, I break them. 
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for 
everything I do..."

Robert A. Heinlein
The following 4 users Like Renegade's post:
  • slave_of_God, Loki, Trenton, The Creeper