#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums

Why it's right to speak up when a crowd is wrong

08-31-2016, 11:55 AM #1
click on this -> Speak Up

I thought this article was very interesting, since most of us on this forum probably believe things outside of what is accepted in our normal circles (family, friends, co-workers)

A few quotes from the article that really stuck out to me
Quote:I think the reward for conformity is that everyone likes you except yourself. – Rita Mae Brown

A bad conscience is easier to cope with than a bad reputation. – Friedrich Nietzsche

The nonprofit sector is filled with stories of non-conformists who accomplished good for the world. George Bernard Shaw wrote, “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.”

The difference between someone guided by principle and someone driven by bias:
A person who is guided by principle will stand up to his allies and side with his opponents if truth and morality dictate it.
A person who is driven by bias will go to war against reality in order to defend the identity of the herd.

Then shall the king say to those on his right hand, Come ye, the blessed of my Father, inherit the reign that hath been prepared for you from the foundation of the world;

And the king answering, shall say to them, Verily I say to you, Inasmuch as ye did to one of these my brethren -- the least -- to me ye did
The following 6 users Like Todd's post:
  • bbsion, Orwell's mentor, DesertRose1, The Creeper, Floss, Kung Fu

08-31-2016, 05:50 PM #2
What to do when your entire family is on trumps nutsack because they are a bunch of closeted bigoted idiots.

Speaking up is the right thing to do. But It isn't easy, and it is incredibly isolating. I think most people would rather just be accepted then ostracize themselves from the entire community of everyone around them especially the people they love. And on some level you have to respect that. We don't choose our families. And in my experience family is usually the least willing to be open to these sorts of discussions.
The following 10 users Like justjess's post:
  • Karlysymon, Ambuler, Alex, Kung Fu, AndrianaStark, DesertRose1, Al Mualim, The Creeper, Tarikko, BaronAmity

08-31-2016, 06:43 PM #3
I respect you Jess.
The following 2 users Like BaronAmity's post:
  • DesertRose1, justjess

08-31-2016, 07:54 PM #4
I respect u too Smile

But I do speak out, that's why I'm pretty much a loner nowadays. My family has about zero patience for my input. But that's why u have the family u choose - hubby, kid, dog.
This post was last modified: 08-31-2016, 07:56 PM by justjess.
The following 3 users Like justjess's post:
  • Ambuler, DesertRose1, The Creeper

09-01-2016, 12:13 AM #5
Of course, the fear of isolation
isn’t always enough to silence
some people. So manipulators
repeat lies and sloganeer
endlessly to condition their
subjects to repress unauthorized speech and
thought: “The techniques of
propaganda and salesmanship
have been refined and
systematized; there is scarcely
any hiding place from the constant visual and verbal
assault on the mind."

* How to escape the age of Mass Delusion*

The following 4 users Like Karlysymon's post:
  • Orwell's mentor, DesertRose1, The Creeper, Tarikko

09-01-2016, 12:46 AM #6
This all goes back to Plato's Cave, if anyone's familiar with that. I can't really explain it very well but it's like this: there's a bunch of people chained in a cave. Directly outside the cave is the sun but everyone is chained facing the wall of the cave. The sun is positioned so that they can see shadows of the world outside the cave. They watch these shadows move along the wall of the cave. They're convinced that these shadows are real. Their whole society is based around these false images and somehow someone manages to break free of their chains. Thry go outside the cave and at first are totally blinded. Their eyes are adjusted to the darkness of the cave and the light of the sun is painful. Eventually, they start to adapt to seeing reality. Then they realize they've got to return to the cave and tell the people in the cave the truth. Then everyone in the cave calls them crazy. Then it starts to threaten the structure of the deluded-cave-dweller-society so they're put to death and the people in the cave stay delusional. That's from Plato's Republic and I think that's basically what happened to JustJess, Socrates, Lisa Simpson, Daria from the cartoon, Huey Freeman, Galileo, hella people.
This post was last modified: 09-01-2016, 12:46 AM by BaronAmity.
The following 3 users Like BaronAmity's post:
  • DesertRose1, Al Mualim, The Creeper

09-01-2016, 06:24 AM #7
The Creeper
Awesome thread. Smile

I have started walking around barefoot again recently and people have already started giving me jip for it. It is going to be fun when my hair is long again and my beard is huge. Big Grin Fortunately for me, I don't really care what people think and I just keep myself to myself, don't really talk unless I have to and just worry about my own stuff. I am all for helping out when I can, but most people are stupid and you have to kind of just leave them to it.

Life is one crazy ass ride that much is certain.

I was in London not too long ago and as I was waiting for an hour outside until the train showed up, bumming cigarettes off people. I noticed I was the only guy who was really calm, sitting down with a smile, giving the occasional nod to people, I probably looked like some kind of crazy bum. Everyone else was rushing around in a kind of mad swarm and clearly they all had very important things to do Rolleyes it is surreal how the more aware you are the more disconnected you are from the system/society, it's is good when you find other awakened people who actually have morals, but we are all at different stages with different things. It is madness. As you may have guessed, I am pretty much a loner most of the time, but fuck it, I like being me.

I haven't really had the time or the patience to post here for a while. I creep now and then but that's it Wink Are we all still going round in circles and spitting barbed wire venom at each other around here? Threads like this are awesome because they just cut straight to the truth.

Peace and love to all you wonderful people.

I may edit some things into this post later, it seems like more like a rant than anything but I have had a lot on my mind lately

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool – William Shakespear
The following 4 users Like The Creeper's post:
  • Ambuler, bbsion, DesertRose1, Tarikko

09-01-2016, 08:02 AM #8
You'd be suprised at the number of people who find places like this ( Vc forum) a much needed refuge. Its easier to argue and fight when you are both outside the cave and in the sun than argue and fight with one who hasn't left the cave yet. So i understand justjess.
The following 5 users Like Karlysymon's post:
  • Kung Fu, BaronAmity, AndrianaStark, Tarikko, Todd

09-01-2016, 12:26 PM #9
Kung Fu
My dad and I don't get along at all. Whenever he spews his nonsense I stand up to him in a civilized fashion of course because at the end of the day he is still my father. My other brothers stay quiet and scared but I make my voice heard.

In my senior year in high school, I lost a lot of "friends" because I came to realize that the bullying that we were involved in was just wrong and when I finally spoke out on it they started giving me the cold shoulder. They would never say anything to my face because they were realistically cowards and knew I would break them in half. Funny thing is I started hanging out with the "nerds" and I enjoyed their company greatly. One of them remains to be one of my greatest friends to this day.

Prophet Muhammad (SallAllahu alaihi wasalam) said:

"My similitude and that of the life of this world is that of a traveler who took a rest at mid-day under a shade of a tree and then left it."       (Ahmad, at-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah and al-Hakim)

The following 4 users Like Kung Fu's post:
  • Ambuler, BaronAmity, MoroccanEyes, Tarikko